🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava and 2025 Pink Racer🎾

I can squeeze into them, but I haven't done it yet and they're so rare I want to keep them new. Trying to get all the OG ATC3s and the ones from 2015-2016 (only missing triple white) it's gonna be one hell of a display. The ATC3 is my favorite model of all time and a sneaker I actually had back in the day (check the profile pic)

They're my favorite Agassi too and I was the first in my high school with them. Ah the memories. Repped.

Not only is it crazy that Nike hasn't made anymore Andre retros, but also unheard of that they don't have a booth at the US Open this year.

I really have to wonder if the white/volt/silver pair is the release version of the all white Wimbledon 3. Like they changed their mind to not do the all white one. Both are very similar and with the Tech Challenge collection not having a big following it would make sense to limit white versions to just one.

I think the all black and all white pairs were samples and unfortunately that was it. I can't believe those never made it to production but a wheat pair did.

Reactions: ARK
Nike's been feeling the heat from Adidas... sales are declining, market share shrinking. Nike Tennis is more of a secondary, niche line IMO... so when times are tough they're usually the first to go. Plus, Nike Tennis has been pretty meh over the past few years. How long have we had the Vapors and LunarB's? I know all the Agassi's probably fall in the NSW line, but Nike are looking at retros, they're gonna focus on 10 Uptempo colorways rather than some older tennis model.

Nike's been feeling the heat from Adidas... sales are declining, market share shrinking. Nike Tennis is more of a secondary, niche line IMO... so when times are tough they're usually the first to go. Plus, Nike Tennis has been pretty meh over the past few years. How long have we had the Vapors and LunarB's? I know all the Agassi's probably fall in the NSW line, but Nike are looking at retros, they're gonna focus on 10 Uptempo colorways rather than some older tennis model.

Yeah, unfortunately you're right.

Andre's impact was significantly greater. Courier and Sampras weren't even originally with Nike. Many of Jordan's shoes were inspired by Andre's. The same can't be said for any other tennis shoe.

Andre's impact was significantly greater. Courier and Sampras weren't even originally with Nike. Many of Jordan's shoes were inspired by Andre's. The same can't be said for any other tennis shoe.

I recall hearing that as well. Which ones of his inspired which Jordan shoes?

At least IV's and VI's. The IV's used the Atc II's plastic wings on the side. The Jordan VI's with the 23 on the side is similar to the double A on the Atc III.

Reactions: ARK
The 8s seem to have been inspired by the atc 4s, they both have a similar plastic heel counters. But the atc 4 pulls it off way better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Tinker Hatfield design a lot of Andre's early shoes ? So it's no coincidence that they have some Jordan DNA in them

Doesn't really matter in my mind if players originally started with Nike or not. Just look at Kobe Bryant's impact on Nike, look who he started with.

Also, I'm not sure if the Agassi line actually inspired the Jordan line. As previously noted, the same genius had a major impact on both of them.

Not only is it crazy that Nike hasn't made anymore Andre retros, but also unheard of that they don't have a booth at the US Open this year.

I had no idea they scrapped it. Going to the Open Friday for the first time since 97. I was really looking forward to the Nike booth.

Doesn't really matter in my mind if players originally started with Nike or not. Just look at Kobe Bryant's impact on Nike, look who he started with.

Also, I'm not sure if the Agassi line actually inspired the Jordan line. As previously noted, the same genius had a major impact on both of them.

That's entirely different. Kobe's shoes helped revolutionize the basketball shoe industry. He has had so many successful models of shoes with new technology from low tops to flywire to flyknit. Most people couldn't identity one Jim Courier shoe as being his own except maybe the Nike Supreme Court. Other than the Oscillates, Sampras didn't have a model that an average fan could identity with. And as far as sales go, it wasn't even close to Agassi's. Not to mention the clothes where most people could identify what shirt and tournament Andre wore something in particular. And yes of course Tinker designed shoes for Agassi and Jordan but they still drew inspiration from them.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion.

Andre vs Jim vs Pete: I don't think Pete and Jim, combined, made as much of an impact as Andre did alone, but Nike needed the narrative. They needed Andre to have a rival... so naturally Pete was the one... and it all made sense... the classic quiet serve & volleyer vs the loud rock & roll baseliner... the big serve vs the big return. It all worked so well. Not many people knew about the Air Oscillate back then (and they still don't now), but they didn't need to. It was the story, the rivalry, the narrative. I don't recall Courier being included in that. His Nike ads were more about him and his own journey.

As for whether Jordan influenced Challenge Court or vice versa... hard to say. Aside from the Tinker-factor, a lot of sneakers back then shared elements, tooling and whatnot. We also saw similar plastic "wings" on the Air Trainer III, so I see it more of how shoes were designed during that era. I think all the various lines inspired each other.

I think some of those influences were innovation based. The huarache was a good example. We had trainers, challenge court, jordan 7, runners, mowabb, flight, etc.
Also the sculpting of the midsole between heel and forefoot was a good example of innovation by reducing weight. The atc3 and the jordan6 are good examples there.

Others though like the AA on the 3 and the 23 on the 6 are good examples of influence between models. I honestly didn't realize there was a 23 on the 6 until a few years ago. heh.
That is a good point and one I forgot about.

Last edited:
But Nike was off and running with Andre and the commercials long before Courier and Sampras. They didn't "need" Courier and Sampras imo but it helped to expand the Nike tennis line. They already had the Atc I along with the denim shorts, the Atc II's with the lava, and then Rock n Roll tennis with the III's. Sampras and Courier were still not with Nike at that point. Sampras stood fine as a rival wearing another brand and same for Courier when he was with Diadora. I can't remember Sampras being in more than one solo Nike commercial without featuring Andre.

Last edited:
Was able to score these 50% off while traveling. The boutique had the black pair as well, and a few other older IIs and a couple of Hybrids. Quality is pretty solid on these.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom