🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

This explains why you don't understand the Nelly and Drake comparison. You were around six years old when Country Grammar came out and around eight when Nellyville came out. You have no idea the hype, love or comparisons Nelly was getting at that time.

I'm guessing the average age of this thread is 17-19. It would explain a lot :lol:

No blood i'm 25 and i was VERY in tune when nelly came out you are just rewriting history and trying to boast your age as the reason.

when Nelly came out he was hot... Hot on 106th and park, hot on urban radio, Sold a bunch of records and had hits, put out good vibing music.

NEVER was he in contention of being named the best rappers, Never were nelly verses a topic of discussion on impact, nobody was asking u heard that new Nelly verse?. The greats in hiphop weren't proclaiming him to be one of the torch bearers and somebody who can change the sound and direction of rap music. When those source magazines and XXL's were out nelly wasn't getting praised as being one of the best out.

Nelly was basically what B.O.B is now on a MUCH LARGER scale. Yea people ain't consider him completely crossover and he had decent hit songs, but nobody was looking to him as one of the best in any capacity.

thats cause the best rappers were a lot better back then.  drake would not be considered one of the best amongst prime eminem, jay-z, dmx, g-unit, dipset, etc.  **** he'd be lucky if he could accomplish what nelly did in that era when rappers still had to be from the hood (as it should be). he would have had to have been strictly r&b.  u know its real when u r who u think u r?  insecure rhymes like that would not slide back then

Last edited:
thats cause the best rappers were a lot better back then.  drake would not be considered one of the best amongst prime eminem, jay-z, dmx, g-unit, dipset, etc.  **** he'd be lucky if he could accomplish what nelly did in that era when rappers still had to be from the hood (as it should be). he would have had to have been strictly r&b.  u know its real when u r who u think u r?  insecure rhymes like that would not slide back then

In comparison all those guys not named Jay or Em haven't survived in this era so that ends that debate. This discussion isn't about content it's about skill, I don't think drake is better than Kendrick or Cole for that matter but he still is a much better rapper then Nelly has ever been.

This explains why you don't understand the Nelly and Drake comparison. You were around six years old when Country Grammar came out and around eight when Nellyville came out. You have no idea the hype, love or comparisons Nelly was getting at that time.

I'm guessing the average age of this thread is 17-19. It would explain a lot :lol:

I love how as we get older we forget just how cognizant of things we were when we were kids :lol:. I had every Nelly album up through Suit (didn't realize until years later that Sweat probably had the better tracklist :lol:) and Nelly was my favorite rapper behind 50 for a long time. I definitely paid attention to the hype, noticed the sales and all the big singles, etc. I probably didn't notice the comparisons he was receiving though.

However, wasn't your original argument that Nelly and Drake are on par lyrically? What would my age when Country Grammar dropped or anything else you mention have to do with that? :lol: They simply aren't, in my opinion. I could listen to both discographies today, yesterday, 20 years from now; Nelly is a solid rapper but is not on Drake's level. Also, I'd assume most posters in this thread are in their early to mid 20's.

So at six years old and eight years old you knew the impact of Country Grammar and Nellyville? You can't be serious.

No blood i'm 25 and i was VERY in tune when nelly came out you are just rewriting history and trying to boast your age as the reason.

when Nelly came out he was hot... Hot on 106th and park, hot on urban radio, Sold a bunch of records and had hits, put out good vibing music.

NEVER was he in contention of being named the best rappers, Never were nelly verses a topic of discussion on impact, nobody was asking u heard that new Nelly verse?. The greats in hiphop weren't proclaiming him to be one of the torch bearers and somebody who can change the sound and direction of rap music. When those source magazines and XXL's were out nelly wasn't getting praised as being one of the best out.

Nelly was basically what B.O.B is now on a MUCH LARGER scale. Yea people ain't consider him completely crossover and he had decent hit songs, but nobody was looking to him as one of the best in any capacity.

So if you're so in tune, you would remember that during that Nelly run, Nelly was considered one of the best rappers of that time by the masses. The young kids that were buying albums and the Source and XXL at the time. Everyone knew his verses of his hit songs and guest appearances. Only complaint Nelly had during that run was that he made too many songs for women. It's absurd the disrespect Nelly gets and it's funny how quick people can forget.

You can argue BoB as a comparison to Nelly but Nelly's first and second albums were straight up rap. BoBs first and second were pop albums.

Lastly, let's not compare Drake's rap peers to Nelly's rap peers. One is the NBA and the other is the D-League.

Just give up on the Nelly comparison. :lol:

It's not that far off but when Drake chooses to really spit, he's leaps and bounds better than Nelly.

5am In Toronto had me thinking dude was gonna put out a great album. **** was forgettable as hell.

Meh i still listen to songs from this whole I only listened to Magna Carta and K dots album once and never felt a need to play again.

Outside of 3 or 4 songs Drake is rapping or singing about nothing. Jay's album didn't really that much content either but Kendrick's album is way better than Drakes. Lyrically, flow, stroytelling. Ain't eem close.

In comparison all those guys not named Jay or Em haven't survived in this era so that ends that debate. This discussion isn't about content it's about skill, I don't think drake is better than Kendrick or Cole for that matter but he still is a much better rapper then Nelly has ever been.
how does that end that debate?  u think mmg, nicki minaj, future will be relevant in 7-9 years?  i sure hope not.  longevity is not easy in hip hop.  u guys r saying nelly was never as skilled a rapper as drake i think its moreso that nelly was never as complete in the r&b department as drake.

So at six years old and eight years old you knew the impact of Country Grammar and Nellyville? You can't be serious.
So if you're so in tune, you would remember that during that Nelly run, Nelly was considered one of the best rappers of that time by the masses. The young kids that were buying albums and the Source and XXL at the time. Everyone knew his verses of his hit songs and guest appearances. Only complaint Nelly had during that run was that he made too many songs for women. It's absurd the disrespect Nelly gets and it's funny how quick people can forget.

You can argue BoB as a comparison to Nelly but Nelly's first and second albums were straight up rap. BoBs first and second were pop albums.

Lastly, let's not compare Drake's rap peers to Nelly's rap peers. One is the NBA and the other is the D-League.

no you would like to think that Nelly was NEVER in the conversation of being one of the best rappers... EVER

where are u getting this notion from he wasn't mentioned in the groups of Jay, X, 50, Cam, Outcast, Nas, Face etc etc NEVER was he there.... KRS straight up started hating on dude because he felt he was straight up trash. Legends may not agree with his subject matter but i have never heard ANYONE who is actually considered "great" at rapping say anything but good things about his rapping ability.

He was huge with the masses yes, you know who's huge with the Masses now Mackelmore, and Mackelmore isn't even a bad rapper he just isn't top tier that's not disrespect to him.

Oh, ok that explains everything. No wonder you're spitting nonsense.

it may not sound politically correct but rap is not a politically correct genre of music.  or at least it wasn't when it was at its best. 
That's your opinion, however we've gotten great music from people who weren't from the hood necessarily. To say Kanye West for example hasn't produced rap on par with g-unit and dip-set isn't politically incorrect, it's ignorant.

That's your opinion, however we've gotten great music from people who weren't from the hood necessarily. To say Kanye West for example hasn't produced rap on par with g-unit and dip-set isn't politically incorrect, it's ignorant.
kanye is what started it.  it was cool just him but the influence he had has hurt the game as a whole.  

It's time to stop posting.

Forever.

yall might not realize it or even have listened to rap back then but there used to be unspoken requirements to be a rapper.  be from the hood, sold or smoked crack, reference guns and be able to tell a story.  rap was much better with these guidelines in place.  pro-gay songs and freestyle verses from a blackberry r not my cup of tea.  like im joking but im kinda not listen to other genres if u want variety before they do the same thing to rap that they did to rock and roll.

kanye is what started it.  it was cool just him but the influence he had has hurt the game as a whole.  
Talib Kweli? Andre 3000? They had middle class upbringing as well, and gave us classics. They aren't considered hood rappers and came before Kanye West. You don't know what you're talking about.

Talib Kweli? Andre 3000? They had middle class upbringing as well, and gave us classics. They aren't considered hood rappers and came before Kanye West. You don't know what you're talking about.
but kanye was the first to really break through on a mainstream level.  and talib and 3000 have always spoken on a number of hood topics.  there stuff has always been on another level than the type of regular guy rap kanye made acceptable.

but kanye was the first to really break through on a mainstream level.  and talib and 3000 have always spoken on a number of hood topics.  there stuff has always been on another level than the type of regular guy rap kanye made acceptable.

So one your Ok with rap the leading genre of young black america being strictly about drugs and ganster **** :smh:

2) Drake and the others who have come after Kanye still talk about things and identify with the hood what are you talking about. Do they connect with the career criminal probably not, do they connect with the other 80% of people who live in hoods and indulge in more than *******.... while yes, yes they do.

Man listen, I like my hood rap as much as the next guy, but its not the end all be all. I mean we're on a website for sneakers for goodness sakes, we're closer to what Drake is rapping about than Pusha T.

yall might not realize it or even have listened to rap back then but there used to be unspoken requirements to be a rapper.  be from the hood, sold or smoked crack, reference guns and be able to tell a story.  rap was much better with these guidelines in place.  pro-gay songs and freestyle verses from a blackberry r not my cup of tea.  like im joking but im kinda not listen to other genres if u want variety before they do the same thing to rap that they did to rock and roll.

sold or smoked crack?

ATCQ sold or smoked it?

Big Daddy Kane?

Rakim?

LL?

Fresh Prince?

Run DMC?

i thought rap was just about the streets?

street style, street lingo, street mentality.

say that next time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom