09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Hatton too small and too slow for Berto. It will look like a mismatch. But he does look drained in making 140. Would have rather have had him challenge TimBradley for his belt.

haha, im just saying if it ever materializes......i called it first.

Timmy/Hatton sounds good too. I mean what are Ricky's options now?

yeah... i think Timmy/Hatton will be action packed. Both guys move forward and are busy. Both got some dirty boxing. Timmy's speed will bother Hatton but idon't think he can knock him out with his pitty-pat punching. I think its a 'safe' fight for Hatton considering Timmy's lack of power... andgreat opportunity to put Timmy in the next level if he wins.

Other than Timmy... maybe Hatton give Urango a re-match.

[h2]Vazquez healed, happy to box again[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_g_vazquez_marquez_576.jpg
Gene Blevins/WireImageIsrael Vazquez and Rafael Marquez doled out and absorbed untold punishment in their trilogy.

Even when Israel Vazquez was at his lowest point after suffering a third detached retina in a year at the end of 2008, he never gave up on his hope that one day he would be fit to return to boxing.

"I never really lost focus or hope. I was always confident," Vazquez said. "But I am human, too, and there were times I got down. So it wasn't easy. But now I am just waiting to come back into the ring and do my boxing business in a few months."

After three surgeries to correct the retina problem in his right eye, Vazquez was medically cleared to resume training and granted a new license by the California State Athletic Commission late last month. He intends to resume his career in the fall.

"I'm very happy," he said. "I'm so happy to be back to this beautiful sport that I love so much. I am very motivated, and I am very thankful to my family, my friends and my manager, Frank Espinoza, for being there every step of the way."

Vazquez is shooting for a ring return in September.

"I believe September is a good month," he said. "I never let myself get out of shape, but I did relax a lot during my time off. But I have maintained my weight, so I will be fine to fight in September."

Vazquez, who turns 32 on Christmas Day, has vacated the junior featherweight title and plans to move up four pounds to try his luck in the 126-pound featherweight division, where he could run into rival Rafael Marquez for the fourth time.

Vazquez and Marquez, of course, etched themselves into history at junior featherweight, where the Mexican countrymen waged an unforgettable championship trilogy.

In the first encounter, Vazquez (43-4, 31 KOs) lost the title to Marquez via seventh-round TKO on March 3, 2007, a fight in which Vazquez suffered a severely broken nose that forced him to retire on his stool. But Vazquez scored a sixth-round knockout to regain the title on Aug. 4, 2007. In the rubber match on March 1, 2008, Vazquez claimed a split-decision win in the best fight of the three, which is saying something considering how breathtaking the first two were.

Their second and third classics were tabbed fights of the year by numerous media outlets, including ESPN.com and Ring magazine. The first fight surely would have been the fight of the year had it not taken place in the same year as the rematch.

[+] Enlarge
Chris Cozzone/FightWireImages In the rubber match against Marquez, Vazquez fought nine rounds with a detached retina -- and won.

Both fighters, however, paid a heavy price for the unrelenting violence of their 25 rounds together. Marquez, 34, took tremendous punishment and didn't fight for 14 months until returning at featherweight to score a third-round knockout of Jose Francisco Mendoza on May 23 in Monterrey, Mexico.

Vazquez also took a severe pounding, but nothing was as bad as what happened in the third round of the third fight. That's when a punch from Marquez detached Vazquez's retina.

"He thought it was just the Vaseline in his eye, because it was blurry," Espinoza said. "So he fought nine more rounds with a detached retina. It shows you the kind of warrior he is."

About a week after the fight, Vazquez had the first surgery on his eye. But it didn't work. About a month later, his retina detached again, and Vazquez had to have a second procedure. Vazquez was healing well and enjoying his time off, as well as a stint working as a broadcaster for Telemundo's Spanish-language coverage of the Beijing Olympics boxing tournament.

However, in late November, the retina detached again and Vazquez needed yet another surgery to reattach it. During the operation, the doctor also removed scar tissue that had built up in the eye.

"It's been a long journey to this point," Espinoza said. "Three surgeries. It was a long road."

Now that Vazquez is preparing to fight again, the big question is who will he face? Marquez, of course, is at the top of the list, but Espinoza also mentioned a possible fight with junior featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Lopez. That match, however, seems unlikely because Vazquez wants to fight at featherweight and Lopez has given no indication that he is ready to move up yet.

"Lopez is a nice up-and-coming fighter," Espinoza said. "There's always been a rivalry between the Puerto Rican fighters and the Mexican fighters. If it makes business sense, we'd be interested in it, but not at 122. If that fight happens, he would have to come up to 126 pounds."

There is also the critical issue of money. A fourth fight with Marquez obviously would be the most lucrative match for Vazquez (as well as Marquez). Showtime, which televised the first three bouts, has interest in a fourth fight.
"
I never really lost focus or hope. I was always confident. But I am human, too, and there were times I got down.
" -- Israel Vazquez on his long injury layoff from boxing

"Right now, nothing is set, but the possibility is there," Espinoza said of the fourth Marquez showdown. "I would like the Marquez fight because I think that is the fight the fans would like to see. That's also the fight Israel wants, and I think the fight that Rafael Marquez wants. I think it's the fight everyone would like to see. The first three fights were so good and so competitive, why not do it again?"

Vazquez is game for a fourth fight, even though he could pass on it and know for all time that he got the better of Marquez in a trilogy.

"I'll leave the decision on who I fight to my team to decide, but if we feel that's the right fight, absolutely, I will fight him again," Vazquez said. "After the third fight, I was ready to do it again then. If the fans want it, I want it. Where do I sign?"

Espinoza said he doesn't buy the talk from some critics that a fourth Vazquez-Marquez fight would be too much for them after the punishment they dished out to each other in the first three bouts. The way he sees it, they both are going to fight and take punches, so they might as well do it for the most money in the biggest fight.

"I understand the view, but how do we tell two fighters who are passionate about their work not to fight each other if that's what they want to do?" Espinoza said. "Israel is my friend as well as a fighter, and this is the business he has chosen to pursue. These are the kinds of fights they work so hard for. He is up to fighting Marquez again. These guys fighting each other will sell, and I know the networks would buy it. I know that the fans will show up."

Vazquez saw Marquez's comeback fight last month and was glad to see his rival make a successful return. "I didn't think the opponent was extremely good, but it was his comeback after two defeats," Vazquez said. "He had been inactive, so I don't think it was very easy for him, but he got his rhythm and landed an unexpected punch on his opponent. I think he did a good job."

Whereas rivals Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward developed a close friendship during their brutal trilogy, and Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera went to the opposite extreme, Vazquez said he and Marquez are neither friends nor foes.

"I saw him at the Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Pacquiao fight, and he acted fine with me. We got along," Vazquez said. "We're not really great friends, but we are not enemies. We respect each other. But when we get in the ring, it's different story."

Vazquez appreciates that he can talk about a possible fourth fight with Marquez -- or any fight for that matter -- given the injury he suffered and the setbacks. Even though he kept the faith, he knew it was possible he would never fight again.

"Now that the doctor has given me the green light, I feel good," Vazquez said. "I am really looking forward to fighting again."

"He was always confident," Espinoza said. "There were setbacks, but he never lost confidence that he would come back. He's a true warrior, and like every true warrior, he is eager to get back in the ring against the world's best talent."

I def. dont like the fact he has had 2 detatched retina surgerys ...
smh.gif
Not Good.

-Enough Berto-Mosley talk, Shane stops him easily. Mosley struggles
against disciplined technicians, who know how to offset his wonderful
natural gifts with the jab. Berto simply doesn't have the wherewithal
to execute the necessary gameplan. You don't outmuscle or outspeed
Shane. You outbox him. -- Tom

I agree with your thoughts on Mosley-Berto to an extent, but you know who disagrees with us -- Shane Mosley. He thinks Berto's lack of ring identity (never knowing when to box or attack), speed, compact frame, and ability to explode in any direction makes him unpredictable and awkward to fight. Before the Margarito fight he told me that he believed Berto would be a harder fight than the Mexican vet.

I might be in the minority but I don't think Berto is overrated. I think he's proven to be more than "a prospect with a belt" this year. THE RING ranks Berto No. 6 at welterweight -- behind Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito, Joshua Clottey and Carlos Quintana -- and that's right where he should be. Right now I wouldn't pick him to beat any of the top five, but I wouldn't count him out vs. any of them, especially Quintana and Clottey.

indifferent.gif
David Haye pulls out of fight w/ Wlad due to "handinjury"

I was really lookin' forward to this fight too...

Guess Haye felt that brutal KO coming and decided to back out.

#%@$@ you serious? We need a link for that one...

And I don't see how Quintana is rated higher at 147 on Ring than Berto.

Saw it during my daily visit to BoxingScene...

Still don't know how to copy and paste from that damn site.

Hit printable version I got you.
By Mark Vester

According to a report on Setanta Sports, David Haye has been forced to withdraw from his proposed heavyweight title clash with IBF/WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko, scheduled for June 20 at in Germany. Haye suffered some form of a hand injury during training camp. The event was very hot and between 60 to 70 thousands fans were expected. Setanta notes that a medical examination will be conducted to see how bad the injury is and when the fight can be rescheduled.

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised by manager Shelly Finkel that every possible option will be explored for IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko. The Klitschko team received notification on Wednesday morning that David Haye had suffered an injury. The exact injury was not disclosed at the present. There are some reports floating overseas that Haye had suffered a "hand injury" but nothing has been confirmed from the Haye camp. The HBO televised fight was scheduled for June 20 in Germany.

"We received an email this morning from Haye's attorney. He said Haye was injured but he didn't tell us the injury," Finkel said.

The next step for Klitschko will depend on the severity of Haye's injury. If Haye can return in the near future, Klitschko will wait. If Haye needs a few months to recover, then Klitschko will take another fight before meeting Haye. The event for June 20 has not been officially cancelled. Though it's doubtful that Klitschko will find a suitable opponent, that HBO would approve, on such short notice.

"I sent them [Haye's team] an email back asking how long [Haye will be out]. Right now we don't know [if Klitschko will fight another opponent]. It depends on how long Haye will be out," Finkel said.

Rewatched the Berto v. Urango fight last night and for a guy with his kind of hand speed Berto doesnt throw nearly enough combinations, one punch and out. Even when he throws that one punch he sits there and admires it as opposed to backing it up with a couple of more shots.

David Haye.....
tired.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I def. dont like the fact he has had 2 detatched retina surgerys ...
smh.gif
Not Good.

-Enough Berto-Mosley talk, Shane stops him easily. Mosley struggles
against disciplined technicians, who know how to offset his wonderful
natural gifts with the jab. Berto simply doesn't have the wherewithal
to execute the necessary gameplan. You don't outmuscle or outspeed
Shane. You outbox him. -- Tom

I agree with your thoughts on Mosley-Berto to an extent, but you know who disagrees with us -- Shane Mosley. He thinks Berto's lack of ring identity (never knowing when to box or attack), speed, compact frame, and ability to explode in any direction makes him unpredictable and awkward to fight. Before the Margarito fight he told me that he believed Berto would be a harder fight than the Mexican vet.

I might be in the minority but I don't think Berto is overrated. I think he's proven to be more than "a prospect with a belt" this year. THE RING ranks Berto No. 6 at welterweight -- behind Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito, Joshua Clottey and Carlos Quintana -- and that's right where he should be. Right now I wouldn't pick him to beat any of the top five, but I wouldn't count him out vs. any of them, especially Quintana and Clottey.

Berto is average - Kinda overrated IMO. Lost to Collazo IMO

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

table_header.gif
EXCLUSIVE: FREDDIE ROACH TO TRAIN RICKY HATTON!
02 June, 2009 by Ring Talk News

STUNNING ANNOUNCEMENT FORTHCOMING

Los Angeles, CA- When it is announced in the coming weeks, you'll be as surprised as I was upon learning that Freddie Roach, everybody's 2008 trainer of the year, will train former world 140 lb. champ Ricky Hatton. That's right! The man that trained Manny Pacquiao, who destroyed Hatton in two rounds a month ago for the world 140 lb. championship, he will now train the lad from Manchester, UK.

DON'T CRY FOR FLOYD MAYWEATHER

The elder Floyd Mayweather, the man who trained Hatton for Pacquiao, he appears to be out in the cold. Over the years Floyd Sr. has been his own worst enemy. Big mouth, acting a fool, still I respected him as a trainer. But much to my dismay, Floyd again failed to bring a fighter to another level. Didn't do with Oscar, this before failing miserably with Hatton. Can you tell me of a fighter that Floyd's guidance lifted to another level?

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

indifferent.gif
David Haye pulls out of fight w/ Wlad due to "hand injury"

I was really lookin' forward to this fight too...

Guess Haye felt that brutal KO coming and decided to back out.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what is Roach going to do for hatton?
Maybe he will finally get him to move his damn head.
And I don't see how Quintana is rated higher at 147 on Ring than Berto.
I agree there is no justification for putting putting Berto below Carlos....but IMO, Carlos would beat Berto.

After re-watching Angulo, what was wrong with him? Was he sick? Was he depressed? Before the fight he looked like he just came from a funeral.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

After re-watching Angulo, what was wrong with him? Was he sick? Was he depressed? Before the fight he looked like he just came from a funeral.

Co-Sign...

Weaponry is so right tho

Imagine Sugar Ray Leonard not throwing Combos with all that Hand speed.
It wouldnt make any sense.

And Yes Im comparing Berto's speed to Ray's

Dude is that fast and doesnt do @%+% with it.
His Corner, Manager, staff, trainer are absolute GARBAGE. fdrom Lou Dibella on down.
I could Prepare Berto Better for Fights than they do
smh.gif
No Body work either, I finally watched the HBO broadcast and at the end they showed where he landed like 20 Body Punches thru 12 rounds How Ridiculous isTHAT! and honestly, I only remember him throwin ONE effective Body Punch
smh.gif

the instructions they were giving him was Outlandish. Punch then hold... What. SIckening
someone Get him in Touch with Nazeem Richardson

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Weaponry is so right tho

Imagine Sugar Ray Leonard not throwing Combos with all that Hand speed.
It wouldnt make any sense.

And Yes Im comparing Berto's speed to Ray's

Dude is that fast and doesnt do @%+% with it.
His Corner, Manager, staff, trainer are absolute GARBAGE. fdrom Lou Dibella on down.
I could Prepare Berto Better for Fights than they do
smh.gif
No Body work either, I finally watched the HBO broadcast and at the end they showed where he landed like 20 Body Punches thru 12 rounds How Ridiculous is THAT! and honestly, I only remember him throwin ONE effective Body Punch
smh.gif

the instructions they were giving him was Outlandish. Punch then hold... What. SIckening
someone Get him in Touch with Nazeem Richardson
Cosign!!!! Best trainer in boxing

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Sick for about 4 days leading up to the fight.

Weaponry = Shannon?

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what is Roach going to do for hatton?
Maybe he will finally get him to move his damn head.

thats on hatton tho, Floyd SR was teaching him that and he used it in the fight before pacman then the idiot doesnt do it when he is fighting pacman and hegets knock the %#%+ out

Weaponry = Shannon?
could be, just the other day i thought gunna was talking to himself and post under both
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom