09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

(ESPN2)
Robert Guerrero (23-1-1, 16 KOs) vs. Efren Hinojosa (30-5-1, 17 KOs)
10 Rounds - Jr. Lightweight Division

During the last two weeks, WBA welterweight champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley has been aggressively pursuing fights with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Also during this time, Paul "The Punisher" Williams, has been trying to get Mosley in the ring. Williams' promoter Dan Goossen became upset when he made his daily run to BoxingScene.com and saw a particular news brief that caught his attention very quickly.

"I've been patiently ignoring commenting on observing Shane Mosely beg for fights against the smaller Manny Pacquiao and come backing Floyd Mayweather, while turning his back on the BEST Welterweight in the World today, Paul Williams. As much as I wanted to say a thing or two regarding this oversight, I gave Shane the respect of keeping quiet, which as you know is tough for me to do. But enough is enough," Goossen said.

"What got me to break my silence was reading the story by BoxingScene.com's Mark Vester with quotes from Oscar de la Hoya, Shane's promoter, saying ' Mosley would crush Pacquiao in a heartbeat. That's why I think it would never happen. Mosley is willing to come down in weight and take a smaller share of the pot, which show you he wants to fight the best. Obviously that's an admirable quality," De La Hoya told Mike Rosenthal of The Ring Online.'"

Goossen is very confident with Williams. Regardless of the risk, or the weight, Goossen is willing to make the fight. Whether it be Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, Sergio Martinez or Mosley, Williams is ready to fight them all. His last fight, in April against Winky Wright, was at 160-pounds. Williams, before moving on to bigger and better things, wants to tie up any loose ends at 147-pounds. By dominating Wright [who beat Mosley twice], Williams thought he could lure Mosley to the table. He was wrong.

Goossen is tired of hearing Mosley's excuses about securing fights that bring him the most money. Goossen is ready to offer Mosley his biggest purse since 2007. It remains to be seen if the money Goossen is offering up is enough to get Mosley interested. He promises not to beg or resort to name calling to make the fight happen.

"Simply said, the best welterweight (141 pounds to 147 pounds) in the world today is Paul Williams. Throw Shane, Manny, Floyd, Miguel (Cotto) into the mix, it doesn't matter, Paul is still the best welterweight. As a matter of fact, we believe he is also the best Super Welterweight and Middleweight fighter in the world and there's probably an argument to be made for him at 168 pounds too. Now that's a real pound-for-pound fighter to lead our sport," Goossen said.

"Now if Oscar truly believes Shane wants to fight the best it can get done with Williams. We won't beg. We won't call Shane names. No, we will just say if he REALLY wants to fight the best, than Shane's thinking exactly the way Paul is and willing to prove it in the ring. Every built-in excuse can be used not to fight Paul, which would probably be the same excuses Shane is accusing Mayweather of using against him. If, in fact, he would resort to this, it would be inaccurate. I can confidently say we would guarantee a purse to Shane that is higher than any he's been guaranteed in any given fight since 2007."

Despite being upset, Goossen agreed with De La Hoya on one item - he doesn't believe a fight between Mosley and Manny Pacquiao will ever happen.

"Oscar also said in this piece, "I just don't feel Freddie and Manny will do it. ... Mosley is too big a threat...And it's why he's (Freddie) not going to risk his fighter's pound-for-pound status against a real champion like Mosley."

"I agree with Oscar the fight won't happen. Now lets see if Shane is willing to risk his status against a real champion like Paul Williams? Obviously if he did, that would be an admirable quality," Goossen said.

BoxingScene would contact Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions [who promote Mosley], to get his opinion on the matter. Schaefer doesn't see a Mosley-Williams fight happening. He says Mosley is very particular about the fights he currently wants, and Williams is not one of those fights. Schaefer doesn't believe that any of the top welterweights are going to fight Williams. He says the best road for Williams is to chase fights at 160 or 168, divisions where opponents are more likely to accept his call.

"I don't think that fight is going to happen. Right now Shane wants the biggest fights out there; Miguel Cotto, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr," Schaefer said.

"Williams should look at the other weights. If he were to fight Mosley, and let's say he beat him - then what? None of the other welterweights are going to fight him. At 160 he has Felix Sturm, Arthur Abraham and Kelly Pavlik. He can go to 168 and fight Chad Dawson. Williams is a good fighter. Williams is very nice, very polite, but if I was his promoter - I would look for fights at 160 or 168-pounds, where he won't have so many problems [getting fights]."

Two days after former cruiserweight champion David Haye pulled out of a June 20 fight against unified heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko because of a bad back, Klitschko replaced him with Ruslan Chagaev on Friday, Klitschko manager Bernd Boente told ESPN.com.

Boente said he made a verbal deal with Chagaev promoter Peter Kohl of Universum, the German company that promoted Klitschko for several years before a falling out.

"We will now exchange the contracts, but we have verbally agreed with each other on the Chagaev fight. The fight is on," Boente said from Germany. "We are all absolutely thrilled because this is an even bigger name and he is unbeaten. Chagaev offers something. It shows Wladimir's class, too, that on short notice he accepts this strong guy and has to change his training to prepare for a different kind of fighter because Chagaev is a southpaw."

Haye had asked Klitschko to delay their fight until July 11, insisting that he would be OK to fight with a brief delay, but Klitschko (52-3, 46 KOs) declined.

Klitschko-Chagaev will still take place at Veltins Arena, a soccer stadium in Gelsenkirchen, Germany that was a 60,000-seat sellout for the Haye fight. However, the biggest difference in the new arrangement is that HBO, which was on board for the Haye fight and had televised Klitschko's last nine fights plus many others, declined the buy the Chagaev fight.

[+] Enlarge
JENS KOEHLER/AFP/Getty Images Ruslan Chagaev (right) has verbally agreed to fill in for the injured David Haye.

"We are passing on Chagaev for June 20," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg told ESPN.com. "We are only interested in a rescheduled Haye fight for July 11."

It's been a wild week for the heavyweights.

Last Saturday, Chagaev (25-0-1, 17 KOs) was supposed to challenge titleholder Nikolai Valuev in a rematch in Helsinki, Finland. But the day before the fight, Chagaev's pre-fight blood test came back with a level of hepatitis B high enough that Finnish officials would not allow him to take part.

Despite Chagaev's suspect blood tests, Klitschko is willing to face him, Boente said. In Germany, the rules are different than in Finland and his hepatitis levels are acceptable.

"It's only an antigen he is testing positive for," Boente said. "He has had it for five years and the doctors told us the chances that Wladimir is infected by this guy are about as much as the sky falling on our heads."

Because Klitschko travels so often, Boente said he had already been inoculated against it and that he would also take a post-fight injection if his doctor recommends it.

"The doctor tells him it's absolutely no problem," Boente said.

Adam Booth, Haye's trainer and manager, said the injury would have been fine after a short rest.

"Unfortunately David has sustained a back injury, which means he is unable to continue training for a short period," Booth said. "We're heading back to the UK [from training camp in Cyprus] for some aggressive physiotherapy. It looks like there will be only a three-week delay from the original fight date with respect to David's readiness, which hopefully means that Wladimir will only postpone the fight, rather than cancel it."

Said Haye, "I hope that once I have had the sufficient treatment, I will be able to start training again and we can get the fight on as soon as possible. I know this is the fight the fans want and I will do everything to make sure it happens."

It won't, at least not on June 20, although it is possible that Klitschko could face him in the fall.

Valuev, whose only loss came against Chagaev in a title bout, was Klitschko's initial target after Haye pulled out, but Valuev was not interested, Boente said.

There were numerous inquiries from such fighters as Roy Jones, John Ruiz, Odlanier Solis, Kevin Johnson, Brian Minto, Chazz Witherspoon and others about stepping in for Haye. However, after Valuev declined, Klitschko turned to Chagaev, a former titleholder who lost his belt when he was demoted by one of the organizations to "champion in recess" because of injury and illness that caused him to cancel three title defenses.

Haye had asked the Klitschko camp to simply delay the fight until July 11, but Klitschko refused, Boente said.

Klitschko and his team had been considering the postponement, but when it still hadn't received a medical report on Haye's injury by Friday afternoon, they opted for Chagaev.

"We have only heard from them about this injury but not received the medical report," Boente said. "The main obstacle in Wladimir's mind was that we can never count 100 percent on Haye. The options were Chagaev on June 20 or delay the Haye fight to July 11. But the big obstacle was that we don't know that suddenly Haye doesn't cancel again because his back is still not 100 percent. Then with the summer vacations in Europe, we can't do a fight until the fall. We couldn't take that risk."

The Klitschko team was disappointed by HBO's decision to decline the fight.

"Nobody can understand it," Boente said. "HBO they told us they don't want Chagaev. I think that is not acceptable."

Greenburg stuck to his guns.

"It's not a fight we would be interested in," he said. "We want to save our money for later in the year if Wladimir is going to come back and fight again. We think that the Haye fight was going to be a good fight in the ring. I'm not expecting a lot out of Wladimir vs. Chagaev, so it was a pretty easy decision. If we had bought this now, we would not have had anything else left for Wladimir this year if anything else pops up, like a rescheduled David Haye fight, a Cris Arreola fight, anything that has some pop to it."

Boente said he would talk to Showtime and ESPN about acquiring American television rights.

Dan Rafael

- Roy jones people called and ask to fight Wladimir and was told NO
laugh.gif

- wladimir people called Tomasz Adamek and ask about a fight and they where told NO

-it seems the real reason hayes pulled out was because he wasnt in shape yet which is why Wladimir pick someone else to fight and wouldnt wait on thebum

MAC @+%%%!

I was kinda expecting more breezys in the vid. Its just a whole lot of reggaeton
laugh.gif
mixed with a light Cotto workout.

Not really impressed with the mittwork that Cotto's doing either.

Next Saturday tho, can't wait
pimp.gif

Michael moore was training some dude that had a fight on showtimes MMA card tonight. dude got KNOCK THE $%** OUT
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Michael moore was training some dude that had a fight on showtimes MMA card tonight. dude got KNOCK THE $%** OUT
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Technically, Roach is his boxing trainer...Freddie probably just didn't want to waste his time at a MMA event or had other stuff. I'veheard that Moore sparred with him a few times....and dropped Andrei Arlowski (sp?).
laugh.gif

AA supposedly going to make his pro boxing debut June 27 on the Vic Ortiz card. I'm not looking foward to it.....

pimp.gif
less than a week away til Cotto/Clottey!
pimp.gif
Not really impressed with the mittwork that Cotto's doing either.
ehhhhh....MAC was never known for his handspeed.

i noticed both MAC and JuanMa always do light mitt work and bag work. Don't know if thats the style in PR or if they're just now allowing the actualwork to be filmed.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

i noticed both MAC and JuanMa always do light mitt work and bag work. Don't know if thats the style in PR or if they're just now allowing the actual work to be filmed.

I noticed that too. it must be a PR thing.

it aint really the hand speed on the mitts. I just found it odd that it was at a low intensity and very methodical .

its been working for cotto tho

I'm guessing it might partly be because it's an open workout and it's probably hard to get anything serious done so they're just taking itlight.

Not too sure if you guys care but.....heres a part of a yahoo article about Andrei Arvlovski's loss last night
But after back-to-back crushing knockouts, it's doubtful Arlovski is going to get another fight of similar magnitude anytime soon.
He was so confident of a victory on Saturday that he'd already agreed to a boxing match on June 27 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. That, too, went out the window when he got knocked out by Rogers.

Arlovski's boxing handlers were excited by his potential and believed he had the skills to compete for a title. His confidence, though, is now as shattered as his chin.

ohwell.gif

Side-note: Me and my homies were arguing last night who would win in a fight.....a world-class boxer or a world-class MMA fighter. Of course, I was backingboxers.....but I wondered what you guys think. I'm thinking about making it a thread.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Not too sure if you guys care but.....heres a part of a yahoo article about Andrei Arvlovski's loss last night
But after back-to-back crushing knockouts, it's doubtful Arlovski is going to get another fight of similar magnitude anytime soon.
He was so confident of a victory on Saturday that he'd already agreed to a boxing match on June 27 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. That, too, went out the window when he got knocked out by Rogers.

Arlovski's boxing handlers were excited by his potential and believed he had the skills to compete for a title. His confidence, though, is now as shattered as his chin.
ohwell.gif

Side-note: Me and my homies were arguing last night who would win in a fight.....a world-class boxer or a world-class MMA fighter. Of course, I was backing boxers.....but I wondered what you guys think. I'm thinking about making it a thread.

I would say that under MMA rules an MMA fighter would win a majority of the time although a world-class boxer does nothing but box so they wouldbe the best it the world at that particular aspect of fighting and therefore have shot at winning. MMA fighters are generally jacks of all trades, masters ofnone. So if you put a world-class MMA fighter in with a world-class boxer under boxing rules I don't think the MMA fighters stands a chance in hell.

LAS VEGAS - One of the greatest defensive fighters of his era spent much of his workout in a local gym Thursday improving his defense.

Move the head. Roll the shoulder. Parry. Slip. Slide. Counter.

If it's a defensive tactic, Floyd Mayweather Jr. worked on it, six weeks from his first fight in 19 months, when he meets the man ranked No. 2 in the Y! Sports pound-for-pound poll, Juan Manuel Marquez, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Mayweather has endured a slew of criticism since he announced on May 2 that he would end his retirement and fight Marquez. Much of the criticism centers around his decision to fight Marquez, who has never fought above 135 pounds, and not waiting to see what happened in the bout between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton, a fight that occurred a mere hours after Mayweather announced his return.

Mayweather, who was a unanimous No. 1 in the Yahoo! Sports rankings when he announced a year to the day earlier that he was calling it quits, hardly reacted when pressed about the criticism.

That's because Mayweather knows that while part of the flap comes from being on top, he'll be able to address much of it in the ensuing months himself.

There has been much speculation that Mayweather returned to boxing because he is desperate for money and burdened by debt, which anyone and everyone close to him vehemently denies.

"That's crazy, but if that were true, why would Floyd have turned down a $20 million-plus offer in September to fight Oscar [De La Hoya]?" his manager and best friend, Leonard Ellerbe, asked rhetorically. "If he needed money, there it was, a $20 million-plus offer. He's coming back because this is what he does and he got a good rest and he has something to prove."

And so Mayweather diligently spent the day working on avoiding punches, something he does better than any man alive other than perhaps WBO light flyweight champion Ivan Calderon.

He was unusually reserved Thursday and not his loquacious and trash-talking self. Mayweather says he knows nothing will convince his skeptics. But he's convinced that there will be a day when the masses see the error of their ways and recognize his greatness.

And so after Marquez, he has men like current Yahoo! Sports No. 1 Manny Pacquiao, WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto and WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley in his sights.

If he fights and defeats those four men, who hold spots 1, 2, 5 and 6 in the current Yahoo! Sports rankings, there will be no way to deny him.

"I'm fighting the guy who called me out," Mayweather said.

"Manny Pacquiao never called me out. You never heard him say that. But I was watching on TV and I heard Marquez call me out. So I said, 'OK, if he wants some, he can have it.' Any one of them, whoever, they know where to find me."

Mayweather compliments Marquez, noting he feels Marquez won both of his fights against Pacquiao. He says, "I have nothing bad to say about Manny Pacquiao," and even declines to take a shot at Mosley, his long-time nemesis.

The two have gone back and forth for years, with each accusing the other of ducking him.

Mayweather, though, appears wounded by all the criticism. He yearns for acceptance from the establishment he says he loathes and longs to hear his critics concede they were wrong.

Beat Marquez, Pacquiao, Mosley and Cotto and they'll begin polishing a bust in Canastota, N.Y., before the lights are out in the arena after the final of those four bouts.

And that's why he was in the gym Thursday, working to improve as if he were a fighter hungry for his first big chance.

"You always want to be the best you can be," Mayweather said. "I'm no different. I'm taking the skills God gave me and I'm trying to do something with them. Every day I come to the gym, I try to make myself better."

Ellerbe, who knows Mayweather better than anyone else, insists that Mayweather is a far better fighter today than he was when he knocked out Ricky Hatton on Dec. 8, 2007, his final fight before retiring.

Mayweather said he was leaving boxing, but he never really left the gym. He trained and worked out the entire time he was retired. And he carefully studied tape.

"I've never seen anyone else in this business who is quite the student of the game like Floyd is," Ellerbe said. "He watched fights very carefully and would notice a lot of mistakes. He learns from that, too. He sees what works for other fighters and what doesn't work. He learns because he's so bright and he understands the sport so well.

"He had a chance to watch Pacquiao fight twice. He makes a ton of mistakes. Believe me when I tell you, he makes a ton of mistakes. But Floyd doesn't have to talk about anyone else and their problems, because he'll get the chance to prove it. Any one of them, anyone who thinks they're up there, he's going to run through them all. He can't fight them all in the same night, but he's back to fight all the major fights."

Mayweather bristles at the notion he wanted to fight Marquez because Marquez would be an easy mark. Yes, he concedes, Marquez has never fought at welterweight. But Mayweather is doing nothing different than Oscar De La Hoya when he fought Mosley in 2000 and Pacquiao in 2008.

In each case, the man was jumping from lightweight to fight De La Hoya at welterweight.

"Why, if it's good for Oscar, isn't it good for me?" Mayweather asks. "Marquez is one of the best fighters in the world. A lot of people, including me and including a lot of you in the media, think he beat Manny Pacquiao in both of them fights. So why do I have to hear this? It's ridiculous."

If Mayweather fights and defeats Marquez, Cotto, Mosley and Pacquiao, though, he'll be able to begin writing his Hall of Fame acceptance speech.

And he will rightfully be able to include a whole bunch of I-told-you-so's in it.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Floyd does have a point about Marquez calling him out and Mosley and Pac-man jumping up in weight to fight DLH without the same level of criticism.

So does this mean that Floyd/Cotto is a possibility for the winter?

Am I the only one who just straight up can't stand David Haye?

I don't know why, I just can't like the guy.

Good, if you ask me.

- Former Welterweight Champion (Back when Belts meant something)
- Oscar had to win the 12th round to win that fight
- Besides losing to Oscar, he's really only lost twice...to Vargas (
pimp.gif
) and Winky. That fight against Vernon Forrest doesn't count...highway robbery
sick.gif

On a side-note, will any of you guys be at the Garden this weekend? Finally get to see the man in action...
pimp.gif
Sec 210.

Rex "Wakee" Salud, One of Manny Pacquiao's advisers, says the Filipino fighter should not agree to meet Shane Mosley at a catch-weight of 144-pounds. At 144, Salud says Pacquiao would be at a very big disadvantage. He says the fight should take place at 142 or 143 at most.

"Manny may be too small for Mosley if he agrees to fight at 144 pounds. We may end up short-changed," Salud said to the Philippine Star. "It's Mosley who needs Manny so he should agree to what Freddie Roach wants and that's 142. Or at least, maybe they can make 143. But not 144. That's Manny's comfort zone, to weigh in at 138, 140 or 142-pounds. If he agrees to 144, that will give Mosley all the comfort he needs."

Former champion Gerry Penalosa agreed with Salud, telling the paper that Mosley might be too much to handle at 144-pounds.

"Manny may have a very difficult time with Mosley at 144," said Penalosa. [Mosley] might squeeze himself a bit to make weight but can easily recover."

Chances are slim we ever see mosley vs pacman. if mosley goes all the way to 142 im lose the little respect for him that i have

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

On a side-note, will any of you guys be at the Garden this weekend? Finally get to see the man in action...
pimp.gif
Sec 210.

How much did you pay for those tickets?

Back
Top Bottom