09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

I'll be there Saturday.

And if PBF fights those 3 fights I'll retire my username, find him and kiss the ground he walks on.

That's how confident I am that we won't take those 3 fights.

I'll be there, too. Lower level, dead center
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

YO! Any word on the network that will broadcast Wlad/Chagaev? I'm actually interested in this fight, not more than Wlad/Haye, but with fight...it seemsChagaev actually has a chance.

Hopefully it'll end up on ESPN or Versus, cause I don't have Showtime.

P.S. Random comment but...Manny is a B****, period.

I was hoping to see Cotto/Clottey but all they have are the 300 level seats are those any good at MSG?

For how much up there are they going for now? Normally they're like $50 so I'm thinking anything above $65 or so you might as well just catch it athome.

Freddie Roach liked what he saw of acclaimed former Cuban Olympic medalists Guillermo Rigondeaux and Yudel Johnson. He'll be seeing a lot more.

Roach, who will pick up his 2008 Boxing Writers Association of America award for trainer of the year at Friday night's annual banquet in New York, signed on train the duo on Tuesday, a day after he spent part of the day meeting the fighters and working out with them.

"I trained the two of them [Monday] and we worked the mitts and did a full workout," Roach said. "Both of these guys have a lot of talent and I am looking forward to working with them."

Rigondeaux, 28, a junior featherweight as a professional, won bantamweight gold medals in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics and is one of the most acclaimed amateurs of all time. Johnson, 27, is a professional junior middleweight who won the light welterweight silver medal in the 2004 Olympics.

"We are very, very excited about this," said Luis DeCubas, who promotes the fighters. "The chemistry was unbelievable with both guys. Freddie is a great trainer. He's great with southpaws. Just look at what he did with [southpaw and pound-for-pound king] Manny Pacquiao."

Rigondeaux and Johnson won their pro debuts on May 22 in Miami, with Rigondeaux scoring a third-round knockout of Juan Noriega and Johnson stopping Greg Weathers in 52 seconds.

Roach is particularly excited about Rigondeaux's potential.

"When we worked the mitts together, it was like when I worked with Manny for the first time," Roach said. "We just really clicked together. We understood each other right away even though we don't speak the same language. He said he learned a lot from me and that he wanted me as his coach. So I am his coach. We did the deal."

Roach is leaving for England this weekend to work with Amir Khan for the rest of his training heading into a June 27 challenge against junior welterweight titlist Andreas Kotelnik in London. When he returns to the United States, Roach will begin working with Rigondeaux and Johnson.

Rigondeaux and Johnson, who defected together from Cuba in February and have been living in Miami, will relocate to Los Angeles, where Roach runs his Wild Card Boxing Club.

Roach was the studio guest on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" on the night Rigondeaux turned pro in one of the televised bouts, so he was watching closely. He said he was impressed that night and is even more so now, having worked with him in person this week.

"The thing is, he is very clever," said Roach, who did eight rounds on the mitts with both fighters during their workout. "He's very elusive and he punches with both hands. He caught me on the tip of the nose with a right hook by accident. I could feel the power and he didn't even catch me that good. We have some things to work on, but he's a talented kid."

As for Johnson, Roach said, "He's a big puncher. He was having a little trouble coming to me with the jab, but he's a counter puncher. He needs a little more work. He didn't pick things up as quick as Rigondeaux but he's got heavy hands. I look forward to working with them. They worked really hard with me."

The fighters do not have their second bout scheduled yet, but DeCubas is in talks with ESPN about securing the July 17 date for a "Friday Night Fights" card, on which both would be featured in Las Vegas

^^^If manny ends up fighting Sugar Shane.....Money may not have a choice but to fight MAC (assuming they both get win their next bouts).

Good move my Decubas with getting Rigondiaux and Johnson a world Class trainer watch how they benefit and you know Rigondiaux will prolly be sparring withPac-man

Originally Posted by mextra45

Good move my Decubas with getting Rigondiaux and Johnson a world Class trainer watch how they benefit

word, Its time for Gamboa to go that route too, in a hurry

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

^^^If manny ends up fighting Sugar Shane.....Money may not have a choice but to fight MAC (assuming they both get win their next bouts).
I doubt Manny ends up fighting Shane, as I've said Shane is desperate for a payday and Manny's people know this and want everything justthe way they want it, @142 lbs. Shane can't come down that far so I think it's done.

Floyd and Manny can happen but it would take them to agree on a 50/50 split. Floyd has said no way in hell and Arum said Manny will get 70%. Both claims arecrazy. I think that both will realize there is too much money to be made to turn this down. It'll probably end up being a 50/50 split at catch weight of144. That should work for both sides.

Floyd almost has to fight Manny, he's fighting JMM because JMM called him out. Now Freddie called out Floyd for being scared of Cotto, Shane, and Manny. Floyd said "if he want's it he can get it", as soon as Manny says he wants Floyd it has to happen, if a 50/50 split is offered that would befair.

Floyd is going to crush JMM, I really don't think JMM can go up to 144 and be the same fighter. This is nothing more than a tune-up that Floyd can use tosay I beat down the guy that drew and probably out-pointed Manny.

I think Floyd would give Berto a shot before Miguel

I could definitely see Berto getting a crack at PBF before Cotto.

Cotto is also promoted by Bob Arum and could face similar difficulties in negotiations.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

You think so? I think Money just in for paydays......Cotto will def. be a be a bigger draw than Berto. But either case, it will be fun to watch PBF fighttrue welters.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Hell no

Is Calderon vs Mayol televised ? i eman it will probably go like any other Calderon fight , where calderon make a guy look silly trying to hit him

Lennox Lewis will be inducted in the Boxing Hall of Fame this year.� RingTV.com had an article about it yesterday.� I watched his last round against, and Inoticed that George Foreman claims that with that victory Lewis cemented that he is the all-time greatest heavyweight......what do you guys think?�

http://www.youtube.com/v/ECeIdlWBFfg&rel=1

video brings tears to my eyes
frown.gif
my boy was getting beat on

and lewis is NOT the best ever, we all know how Foreman use to get caught up in the moment and throw out comments

That was a pretty good fight. A classic Chico fight. He displayed a lot of heart that night......he just did not have the pop necessary at 147.

SMH @ the lady interviewing Chico post-fight for hinting to him that he should consider retirement.

RIP.

Back
Top Bottom