09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Well it wasn't so far-fetched for him to possibly retire. He lost three in a row and his last 7 or 8 fights were all tough...3 with Casamayor, 2 withCastillo, the big fight with Popo...Diego took a lot of punishment in a little less than 4 years.

BTW you gotta see Clottey's fight with Baldomir...just watch the last two rounds when he gets DQed...Clottey had that look in his eyes like he was going toslaughter Carlos if he ever saw him again
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

^^^If manny ends up fighting Sugar Shane.....Money may not have a choice but to fight MAC (assuming they both get win their next bouts).

I think Floyd would give Berto a shot before Miguel

Hell no

Hell yes

He'll fight Andre before Miguel

The Clottey vs Chico fight was like 2 or 3 months before his death

I think it was his first fight at 147

tired.gif

Sorry if I'm late on this but before Juelz Santana made a track with the same title.

There was Max and Sam Kellerman...

Rumble young man rumble

my boy Rodel Mayol is one of the undercards this weekend. He's fighting Ivan Calderon. Mayol is a natural lefty in an orthodox stance.. so his left hookis his power shot. He got knocked out by Ulysis (sp) Solis during the Morales/David Diaz undercard. During that time, he was baldy mis-managed by hisjapanese manager. Had no food, was malnourished, no quality sparring partners, and literally walked to the gym from his Vegas condo. Pacquiao rescued him,provided Rodel an apartment near Wild Card Gym plus a car. He trains under Buboy Fernandez (manny's pinoy cornerman) at Wild Card and my former coachassisted in doing mitts. I'm hoping Mayol redeems himself
pimp.gif

^^^Sorry, dako but your boy doesn't stand a chance saturday night. Will they be televising that fight in Pinas?

LOL @ Max Kellerman with a shaved head. Did he and his brother ever fight competitively? Or were they just fans?

Clottey is a Filthy Fighter.

smh.gif
dudes best combo is lead right followed by a head butt

He caught Zab a few times with that

Dont forget tomorrow nite
What: Fight Night Club, a monthly boxing series featuring rising prospects at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles
Who: The featured young fighters hail primarily from Southern California and are considered legitimate prospects. The line up: David Rodela (12-1-3, 6 KOs) vs. Juan Garcia (14-2, 5), 6 rds., jr. lightweights; Charles Huerta (10-0, 5) vs. Noe Lopez Jr. (4-0, 3), 6 rds., featherweights; Luis Ramos (10-0, 5) vs. Baudel Cardenas (18-16-2, 6), 4 rds., lightweights; Jose Roman (4-0, 3) vs. Ramon Flores (3-5-1, 3), 4 rds., jr. lightweights.
When: The premiere show is this Thursday, June 11.
TV/Internet: The card will be televised on Versus and streamed live on RingTV.com and Yahoo! Sports. The first fight begins at 6 p.m. PT / 9 p.m. ET.
Future shows: July 30, Aug. 27 and Sept. 24 at Club Nokia, which is adjacent to Staples Center.

then Friday
[h1]Friday, June 12, 2009[/h1]http:// [h2]San Jose, Calif. (ESPN2)[/h2]
  • [h3]Robert Guerrero (23-1-1, 16 KOs) vs. Efren Hinojosa (30-5-1, 17 KOs)[/h3]
    10 Rounds - Jr. Lightweight Division
http:// [h2]Miami, Fla. (Telemundo)[/h2] [h3]Diosbelys Hurtado (41-3-1, 25 KOs) vs. Manuel Garnica (25-10-0, 13 KOs)[/h3]12 Rounds - Welterweight Division

we got a good weekend for Boxing

Should be able to find a link to the Calderon fight come fight night.

"My fight with Mayol is going to be on Direct TV in Puerto Rico."

It will also be seen in England (on Setanta Sports), Mexico (TV Azteca) and the Philippines (Solar Sports).

If you didnt know James Butler killed Max Kellermans brother the same Butler that punched the guy after the fight .

Of Course Clottey is a Dirty fighter with head that big you gotta use it (pause) but the only things he has problem with is fighting hrough pain he will kindof shut it down . and he will wait on offense almost like "you punch then I punch he's gotta mix offnse and defense more

By Robert Morales

Serious negotiations for a fourth fight between Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez could begin soon. But before that can happen a mess involvingVazquez's promotional contract with Sycuan Ringside Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions has to be settled.

Enter Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. He is the man currently trying to resolve this issue. Vazquez and his manager, Frank Espinoza,recently announced during an international conference call that Vazquez would be returning to the ring following more than a year off because of threesurgeries to repair a detached retina in his right eye.

During that call Espinoza mentioned that Vazquez's promotional contract would end on June 5. Therein lies the bone of contention that must beresolved.

Gary Shaw, Marquez's promoter, was asked Wednesday if he had discussed the fourth fight with Espinoza. Shaw said he doesn't deal with afighter's manager when discussing a fight, but his promoter. Shaw specifically mentioned that Sycuan still is Vazquez's promoter.

Shaw was told of Espinoza's remarks about Vazquez becoming a free agent, and Shaw reacted strongly.

"I don't believe that for one moment," Shaw said to BoxingScene.com. "If Sycuans's contract is like everybody elses in the U.S., whenyou have an injury or suspension, the contract extends for that amount of time. The last I checked, he (Vazquez) was out a year so I believe they have a yearto go.

"I don't know how you could have a news conference and say something like that. He (Espinoza) knows his fighter was injured. ... In any contractI've ever seen from any promoter, it has that same provision."

Shaw went on to say that Espinoza "should be careful" what he's saying.

Espinoza had some harsh words of his own.

"First of all I have had it all checked out," Espinoza said. "Gary could say what he wants, but he hasn't reviewed our contract. I havebeen advised by my attorney that the contract did expire June 5. That Sycuan contract doesn't call for an injury clause.

"I have had it looked at by a few attorneys and they have all come up with the same thing. Other promoters do have contracts that have this clause. Butthis specific promotional agreement doesn't. If Sycuan feels they are still entitled to more, they have every right to proceed in the right manner. ButI'm stating that as it stands now this contract is null and void."

Espinoza wasn't thrilled about Shaw saying he should watch what he says.

"He is making the assumption that every contract has that," Espinoza said. "Gary has never seen my contract. He is not my promoter. Who is heto even say that? It's normal procedure, but this particular contract doesn't have that. I never say things I shouldn't
say."

Here is the rub: According to Schaefer, this particular contract was not filed with the California State Athletic Commission because it falls under NativeAmerican tribal law. Sycuan Ringisde Promotions is governed by the Sycuan Band of The Kumeyaay Nation.

Not only that, even if Vazquez had signed a promotional agreement that fell under the umbrella of the California commission, it would not necessarily havecontained the injury clause. The basic promotional contract of the commission does not contain that clause, but there is one with an addendum that does.It's safe to say that most, if not all, promoters go with the latter.

However, Scott Woodworth, vice president of Sycuan Ringside Promotions, said Wednesday that although Vazquez's contract is a tribal contract recognizedunder Federal law, it does contain language relating to "disabilities, suspensions and postponements of any kind." Woodworth said that Sycuan wasworking on fights for Vazquez before knowing the severity of his eye injury.

Some History

Vazquez became Golden Boy's first world champion when he stopped Jose Luis Valbuena in the 12th round in March 2004. But Vazquez and Golden Boy partedways and Vazquez signed with Sycuan. Vazquez defended his super bantamweight title against Artyom Simonyan and Armando Guerrero under the Sycuan banner.

Schaefer said that Sycuan had difficulty getting Vazquez marquee fights and that Espinoza and Sycuan came to him and asked if Golden Boy would be willing tobuy 50 percent of the existing contract, which Golden Boy did in 2005.

Now Schaefer believes he has come up with a resolution that would satisfy all parties.

"I have been talking to Sycuan and I have been talking to Frank Espinoza so we can work everything out," Schaefer said. "These conversationsare ongoing. I have put a proposal on the table and we'll see if it is going to be acceptable to Sycuan and to Frank Espinoza."

Schaefer said he has also told Woodworth that he should contact Shaw to see if he and Marquez are definitely interested in doing the fourth fight.

"I would do the fourth fight," Shaw said. "I have had conversations with my partner, Jaime Quintana. He was going to speak to Rafael Marquezas to whether Raffy wants to do the fourth fight and then get back to me."

Quintana, of Romanza Boxing, is Marquez's co-promoter.

Schaefer also said that since Vazquez has won two of the three fights with Marquez, the fourth fight would come with Vazquez's side being the leadpromoter.

"It is not going to be Gary Shaw running the show here; that is not going to happen," Schaefer said.

As for the contract that Espinoza believes ran out June 5, Schaefer said he has read it. But he would not go into detail as to what it contains.

"I'm not going to discuss what is in there and what is not in there," Schaefer said.

Schaefer said revealing the details of the contract would be counterproductive to what he is now trying to accomplish. He did say that, obviously, one sidebelieves the contract is over, the other doesn't. The bottom line is, if an accord can be reached, a fourth fight attached to what has been one hell of atrilogy could be on the horizon.

"My position has been accepted by Frank Espinoza, now it is in Sycuan's hands to see if they will accept it," said Schaefer, who would notdivulge the details of this proposal.

Schaefer said he is awaiting a call from Woodworth. He said if his proposal is not accepted by Woodworth and Sycuan, "it might get a big ugly."But Woodworth said he is going to do everything he can to make this settlement come to fruition.

"I have always had a great working relationship with Frank and Israel," Woodworth said.

"They interpret it (the contract) one way, we interpret it quite the opposite. Richard and I talked and I am hopeful that we can all sit down andfigure out a compromise."

Espinoza said Schaefer came up with a great idea that should make all parties happy, "and would avoid litigation."

And it would make way for Vazquez-Marquez IV.

"That is the fight everyone wants to see," Schaefer said.

Woodworth echoed that sentiment.

"I'm very confident," Woodworth said. "I have been running all around and I haven't seen the proposal yet. But I'm confident inRichard's ability to get things done."

A fourth fight would have to come at featherweight, as Vazquez is no longer campaigning at super bantamweight.

Margarito Has Work To Do

Antonio Margarito was recently quoted in the Mexico-based publication Esto as saying he expects to soon get his license restored by the California StateAthletic Commission, which revoked Margarito's license for a minimum of one year in February after Margarito was found to have illegal hardended inserts inhis hand wraps prior to his ninth-round knockout loss to "Sugar" Shane Mosley in January in Los Angeles.

Margarito did not say how he expected to get his license back before next February, other than to say his legal team is working on it. His promoter, BobArum, on Tuesday was asked if he could elaborate on Margarito's comments.

"No, no I can't," Arum told BoxingScene.

Arum did discuss what Margarito will need to do in order to make people forget about the incident that has resulted in a cheater jacket being hung onMargarito's back.

Arum noted that some have wondered if Margarito had been guilty of fighting with illegal wraps prior to the Mosley debacle.

"There is some skepticism that, did that happen in other fights?" Arum said. "And the only way he's going to get over that is for peopleto see him in his next few fights. If he's as devastating as he was before, then people won't dwell on it.

"If he isn't, then people might very well dwell on it."

Arum pointed to the situation surrounding Mosley, who was found to have illegal substances in his system prior to his second fight with Oscar De La Hoya inSeptember 2003.

"The same for Mosley," Arum said. "He admittedly took steroids when he fought Oscar the second time. Since then Mosley has been quite afighter even without steroids; he has been tested so extensively.

"So the steroid issue that focused on one particular fight has now become less consequential."

Arum Gets Steamed

Arum took exception when he was asked if he was surprised at how popular Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto still is - especially in New York City - where alarge Puerto Rican population exists.

Cotto signed autographs for the hundreds who showed up to watch him work out at the Puerto Rican Festival this week in the Bronx, N.Y. He was kissed on thecheek quite a bit as well by fans of the female persuasion.

Cotto on Saturday will defend his welterweight world title against Joshua Clottey at Madison Square Garden in NYC. According to Arum's publicist, BillCaplan, about 16,000 seats had been sold as of Wednesday with roughly 2,000 remaining. A sellout is expected.

Apparently, Cotto's 11th-round technical-knockout loss to the aforementioned Margarito in July 2008 did nothing to harm Cotto's marketability. ThusArum's response.

"I don't understand that question because when I watched the Margarito fight, he fought as hard as he possibly could and he lost to a guy who was,on that day, the better fighter," Arum said. "That's all a good fan really wants, a 100 percent performance from their hero. Sometimesthey're going to win and sometimes they're going to lose.

"But the fan is not caught up in the mentality of a Floyd Mayweather Jr., who believes in his heart of hearts that to lose is like death and therforeyou don't take any chances against anybody who can convincingly beat you."

Arum said that if anything, people give credit to Cotto for taking on Margarito in the first place and then fighting his behind off even in defeat.

"He hasn't lost any fans by that," Arum said. "And Margarito didn't lose any fans when he lost to Shane Mosley because he gave it allhe could and Mosely was better that night. That's the way boxing always has been and that is the way boxing always should be.

"This mentality that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has that some of you guys adopt, that really screws up the sport. I mean, as long as he fought his heart out;if he lost the fight, he lost the fight. He didn't lose his popularity. The fans are smarter than the writers and the true fans realize that. The proof isthat the fans in New York are just as loyal to Cotto as they've ever been. Maybe more.

Pavlik-Sturm

Arum promotes middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. Arum confirmed that preliminary discussions are underway for a fight between Pavlik and fellow championFelix Sturm, probably in October.

"Kelly is coming to New York for the fight this weekend after the Boxing Writers dinner and we will have a clearer idea after the weekend," Arumsaid.

Sturm is scheduled to defend his title against Khoren Gevor on July 11 in Germany. Pavlik hasn't fought since stopping Marco Antonio Rubio after ninerounds in February.

Goossen Mum

Dan Goossen, who promotes top-rated heavyweight contender Chris Arreola, was contacted Wednesday and asked if there were any negotiations ongoing for afight involving Arreola, who is the No. 1 challenger to the belt held by Vitali Klitschko.

Goossen said, "Yes, and no." Asked to elaborate, he said he would know more in a day or two. Stay tuned

GAD DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
straight Left to the body Floored Homie

Son Looks good

Luis Ramos Good Lookin Young Fighter!

BHop doing analysis
pimp.gif

been a good card so far.

lookin forward to the main event.

I think rodela was the dude who got dropped by pacman in the 24/7 sparring sessions.

why it seem Like BHop got like 4 different conversations goin on at the same time?
dude asked him a question like 3 times and he aint respond.
laugh.gif

Juanito shoulda either been given a knockdown or he shoulda lost on stoppage, he basically gave up and didnt protect himself in the corner

[h1]COMPUBOX FACTORS: COMMON OPPONENTS & LASER-GUIDED BOMBS[/h1][h2]When it comes to matchmaking opposites attract. Boxer-puncher fights often produce compelling action but sometimes fights between mirror images -especially punchers - are pleasingly combustible.[/h2]
June 11, 2009 - by Compubox

On June 13 at Madison Square Garden, Miguel Cotto will defend his WBO welterweight title against recently stripped IBF king Joshua Clottey ina tank versus tank showdown, and the oddsmakers have Cotto a solid 3-to-1 favorite. Statistical factors that might determine the outcome include:

Common Opponents: Both men fought Antonio Margarito and Zab Judah with both losing to Margarito and beating Judah.

Each man enjoyed solid starts against Margarito. In the first four rounds Clottey's nearly 50 percent precision troubled Margarito, who out-threw Clottey482-188 but out-landed him only 92-87. Meanwhile, Cotto used refined skills to amass a 174-121 overall connect advantage while throwing 121 fewer punches(530-409) in the first six rounds.

In the latter stages the Tornado was too much. Clottey, who out-connected Margarito 73-63 in power shots in the first four, broke his hand in the fifth and wasnever the same. Over the last eight rounds Margarito out-threw Clottey 1,193-269 en route to an all-time CompuBox record of 1,675 punches thrown in a 12 roundfight. Although Clottey was out-landed 245-120 in that stretch, he landed at a 45 percent clip, which suggested he could have won with two healthy hands.

As for Cotto, the turning point was the seventh when Margarito was 48 of 130 to Cotto's 23 of 52. In the final five rounds Margarito out-landed Cotto146-106 overall and 134-70 in power shots. But like Clottey, Cotto was far more accurate (43 percent to 32 overall, 46 to 39 in power shots). The discovery ofMargarito's tainted wraps before the Mosley fight cast doubts on the Cotto win's legitimacy, so like Margarito-Clottey, Margarito-Cotto has a"what-if" quality about it.

Statistically, Clottey narrowly outdid Judah overall (122-117) but was badly out-jabbed (45-
glasses.gif
while Cotto out-landed "Super Judah" 292-132 overall,78-42 in jabs and 214-90 in power shots, margins that were amplified in the fight's second half.

Laser Guided Bombs: Both are well-schooled boxers with superb power accuracy. Against Jennings, who tried to confuse Cotto with movement,Cotto landed 53 percent of power shots (72 of 135), including 70 percent in the final two rounds.

In April 2008 Clottey became the first to stop Jose Luis Cruz by landing 102 of 184 power shots (55 percent) over five rounds, including a wicked 31 of 41 (76percent) in the final round. The pattern held against Margarito as he landed 47 percent (170 of 365). Judah was more accurate against both men (57 percentagainst Cotto, 52 percent against Clottey) but lost to both because they piled up better numbers (114-72 in connects, 31 percent accuracy for Clottey, 214-90and 43 percent for Cotto).

Prediction: This will be a long punishing fight because both have proven staying power. Cotto's history of coming on strong in the second half willserve him well as he wins by 11th round TKO.

Back
Top Bottom