09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Yea, he won't stop Josh....but he just needs to keep his workrate up. Because Clottey, IMO, sometimes doesn't throw enough to win rounds.

I got Cotto by a very one-sided UD.

If Cotto goes back to his body punch based attack this is gonna be Lightwork cus Clottey wont be allowed to have his gloves glued to his face all fight

capt.0348a405114349b7b92d853c4464eb1a.cotto_clottey_boxing__nyrm102.jpg
Cotto (146), Clottey (147) Make Weight, Set For War
Posted by: Jake Donovan on 06-12-2009.

All systems are officially a go for Miguel Cotto's 12-round fight with Joshua Clottey at Madison Square Garden on Saturday evening. Both fighters made weight for their prizefight, which airs live on HBO (10:35PM ET/7:35PM PT).

Clottey came in at 147 lb on the nose. Cotto was one pound under the limit at 146 lb.

The bout began as a welterweight alphabet unification match when first put together earlier this spring. Those plans changed when the sanctioning body that previously claimed Clottey as their champion stripped the Ghanaian-born fighter for not first facing his mandatory challenger.

As a result, the show still goes on with just Cotto's trinket at stake.

This will be the sixth time that Cotto (33-1, 27KO) headlines a card at Madison Square Garden, including his second straight of 2009. The pride of Caguas, Puerto Rico returned to the world's most famous arena this past February, stopping overmatched Michael Jennings in the fifth round of a rehab fight to pick up the very title that's at stake this weekend.

The win was his first since suffering an 11th round stoppage against Antonio Margarito last summer, the lone blemish on an otherwise pristine ring ledger to date.

Margarito holds the distinction of handing both fighters their last loss. Clottey (35-2, 20KO) dropped a hard-fought 12-round decision against the Mexican welterweight in December 2006. He has since won five straight entering this fight, including a cut-shortened decision win over Zab Judah last August, one week after Cotto's aforementioned losing effort.

Arthur Mercante Jr. serves as the third man for the affair.

The show's main event will be the lone bout to air live on HBO, but two other bouts of note appear on the non-televised undercard. Ivan Calderon of Guaynabo, P.R. defends his lineal junior flyweight crown against Rodel Mayol of the Philippines.

Calderon weighed in at 106-¼ lb, while Mayol was slightly heavier at 106-½ lb.

For Calderon (32-0, 6KO), it's the fourth defense of the junior flyweight crown he wrested from Hugo Cazares two years ago. The win came after a lengthy alphabet title reign at strawweight, all of which accounts for his often being regarded as perhaps the best pure boxer in the game today.

Mayol (25-3, 19KO) takes his third crack at a major title, having previously come up short in highly entertaining battles with Eagle Kyowa (L-UD12 in May 2006) and Archie Solis (L-TKO8 in August 2007). He enters this fight having won two straight against non-descript competition. Perhaps more telling is his 3-3 mark over his last six fights.

Despite being neglected by HBO, Calderon-Mayol will still air live internationally on several affiliate feeds, including DirecTV in Calderon's native Puerto Rico.

The undercard also features one of the sport's most promising newcomers. Matvey Korobov, a member of the 2008 Russian Olympic boxing squad, fights for the sixth time since turning pro last November. He faces Fresno (CA) journeyman Loren Myers in a scheduled four-round middleweight bout.

Korobov (5-0, 5KO) checked in at 162 lb.; Myers (7-4, 2KO) was two pounds lighter at 160.

A win on Saturday night paves the way for Korobov to make a televised appearance on Top Rank's independent pay-per-view card in Atlantic City just two weeks later.

I'm having some kind of problem quoting but in Rafael's notebook there was a funny quote from Calderon.

"After I win my fight at the Garden on Saturday night, I'm going for Floyd Mayweather Jr. next, since he only wants to fight guys smaller thanhim." -- junior flyweight champ Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon, mocking the former welterweight champion, who has never faced an elite 147-pounder inhis prime and is coming out of retirement to face lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18

NEW YORK -- The long awaited and eagerly anticipated rematch between undefeated two-time light heavyweight champion CHAD DAWSON and former world champion GLENJOHNSON is on. Promoted by Gary Shaw Productions, DiBella Entertainment and Seminole Warriors Boxing, Dawson-Johnson II will be broadcast live on HBO WorldChampionship Boxing in the fall. The site and date will be formally announced shortly.

Also Juan Diaz returns to fight Paulie Malagnaggi on August 22 HBO

Paulie sucks

Paulie sucks

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
the thought of a fight with no sounds of thudding punches.
thats early candidate for pillow fight of the year

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Paulie sucks

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lol you won't hear anything just the screaming of Diaz when he throws his punches.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Paulie sucks

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lol you won't hear anything just the screaming of Diaz when he throws his punches.

That's going to be a 12 round snooze fest jesus
laugh.gif

rodel with the height advantage... lets get this!

calderon-mayol.weighin.300w.jpg

aside from Manny... it really hasn't been a good couple years from pinoy boxers
grin.gif

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Got 2 tix, $100 for each.

I'll be there as well me and my boys are coming up from D.C. to watch the Cotto v.s. Clottey bout. Section 203.

Also, what are some nice spots to hit up afterwards club, lounge, or bar?

Originally Posted by Madman4life

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Got 2 tix, $100 for each.

I'll be there as well me and my boys are coming up from D.C. to watch the Cotto v.s. Clottey bout. Section 203.

Also, what are some nice spots to hit up afterwards club, lounge, or bar?

Go further downtown and you'll find a better option of bars.

I dunno how the nite is now but Demerara's used to have a pretty good turn out on Saturday Nites. Its like 3 blocks from MSG too (now my experience withthat club was from about a Yr ago so if it aint poppin dont be like "%%@% this %%+#@ Gunna"
laugh.gif
)

^ On 28th right?

Not as great anymore
laugh.gif
maybe after the fight but every time I've been in there the last few months it's been pretty dead.

If you see a sign for a bikini bar on 33rd and 7th DO NOT ENTER.

Back
Top Bottom