09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

does showtime have the video on there website? i missed it

Yeah its up there. I'm checking it out right now.

2009 has been one of the best years for boxing in a long time.

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Gaaaadang! boyz can't lose a fight without people saying they need to retire these days. For you mayweather fans.... if Cotto fought PBF's resume. He'd be undefeated 2. Real Talk. Say what y'all want. Truth is truth.. Think about it

Nah, its the way He has lost 2 outta his last 4 fights.
Brutally and taking alot of hard punches.

If he lost on points and showed somethin, Id have no complaints. Cotto is gun shy now, and thats bad bidness

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

anyone watch Fightcamp on ShowTime?
this show is real good.
pimp.gif

I always messed with King Arthur and Kessler in the ring but now I see them out and they seem like good dudes

carl Froch on the other hand, is not a good fighter and appears to have a rotten personality too
I dont like Dirrell neither.

King , "First time I waatch Mike Tyson i says Ahhh yass thiss iss gude
happy.gif
."
roll.gif

Froch's girl
devil.gif

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Just finished watching the Cotto/Judah fight...MAC is a totally different looking fighter now.

He was on his toes that whole fight, confident, giving angles and using his jab. Not this mechanical bull that fought Pacman.

He needs a new team ASAP. He still has fight left in him.

Yep. And I agree about the confidence thing in the fourth round. He had (and from the looks of it, I'd say he always will) have the push and heart to gethim in the fight. That fight coulda looked a LOT different, its a shame.

I'm not sure how much I agree with the whole Cotto retirement thing, but he's gotta sit down and think about everything, and him or his team can'tjust sit down stagnant. He's gotta realize he needs something different and his team has to provide. I think he can still come back but the traditionalhard training (just hitting the gym and being dedicated day in, day out like his most recent) isn't gonna cut it - it's really all mental from here Ithink; and I don't think it's something that's unattainable. Maybe he just needs to beat the living @#$@# out of Margarito and it'll bring himback (
laugh.gif
- but seriously I hope he doesn't fight him). Regardless heneeds something different and needs to put some work in.

carl Froch on the other hand, is not a good fighter and appears to have a rotten personality too
I dont like Dirrell neither.
laugh.gif
I find Dirrell funny for the most part, he is a bit of an$$@@!!% though.
But I do agree, Cotto would beat all the 140 and 147 lbers that PBF fought.
Yea but that's Sharmba, Zab, an old Gatti, Baldomir and Hatton. Ain't saying much
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

U think Cotto will ever agree to a rematch against Margarito? For Poetic justice?
you got to think deep down inside cotto would want to beat the !%%% of dude for doing him like that

but on the other hand why help a dude out that could have ended your career that night in the ring and pulled the BIGGEST sin in all of boxing
I agree with you on this. If I'm Cotto, I don't do that fight just off gp.

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Gaaaadang! boyz can't lose a fight without people saying they need to retire these days. For you mayweather fans.... if Cotto fought PBF's resume. He'd be undefeated 2. Real Talk. Say what y'all want. Truth is truth.. Think about it
Nah, its the way He has lost 2 outta his last 4 fights.
Brutally and taking alot of hard punches.

If he lost on points and showed somethin, Id have no complaints. Cotto is gun shy now, and thats bad bidness
Again, I am not a diehard boxing fan (though I obviously follow the sport). But from what I've heard and read, Cotto fought his way through aVERY nasty cut during the Clottey fight. A cut that was suffered early (3rd round) against an opponent who many pegged as having a better than passing chanceof winning. I would think that's considered "showing something" no? Cuz most fighters who are put in that position against a quality opponentdon't always "show something".

Anyhow, I'll go see if I can find that fight to look at for myself.

Originally Posted by EastCoastPapi

^so u didnt see pac flying across the ring in round 1?

pac's face looked bad after that fight and thats only in 5 rounds.

pac doesnt want it wit PBF i just seen his espn interview and he's like aaaaaaah bob arum handle aaaaah i can fight aaaaah anybody. he dodged the questions dude asked him twice.

Its all good i cant wait till cotto come's back. He aint done at all. I bet we'll see a Rematch maybe not right away but def. in the next 2 years. Arum will sign that up again. hell if marquez and morales can get em so can cotto with a new trainer.
smh.gif
at u quoting his lack of fluentEnglish.Yes we all know he can't speak english real good. Sounds like a hater to me....

Ah, man...I really hated seeing Cotto lose like that. Pacquiao really showed his toughness in his ability to take Cotto's punches which made thedifference and I have to give Pacquiao a lot of credit for that win.

However, most people knew that Cotto had some defensive liabilities and Pacquiao showed his own. Mayweather is the best in the game at hitting and not gettinghit...this is actually backed up compubox here. I could seeMayweather winning a comfortable decision in that fight.

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

Originally Posted by K I N G x B

EastCoastPapi wrote:

^so u didnt see pac flying across the ring in round 1?

pac's face looked bad after that fight and thats only in 5 rounds.

pac doesnt want it wit PBF i just seen his espn interview and he's like aaaaaaah bob arum handle aaaaah i can fight aaaaah anybody. he
dodged the questions dude asked him twice.

Its all good i cant wait till cotto come's back. He aint done at all. I bet we'll see a Rematch maybe not right away but def. in the next 2 years.
Arum will sign that up again. hell if marquez and morales can get em so can cotto with a new trainer.
grin.gif

pacquiao has always been like that

he has always said thats not his job he just fights
right. thats just pac being his super-humble self.
laugh.gif

pac would fight anyone.

indifferent.gif

i think the deal gets done since Richard Schaefer is doing it for Floyd, now if it was someone in floyds camp like Al Haymon or his other guy it would neverget done since they hate Arum and have beef with him

Yea, they need to make sure Arum and PBF aren't in the same room together
laugh.gif
55/45for PBF isn't unreasonable.

I know I mentioned Andy Lee somewhere and he did fight this weekend
laugh.gif

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Las Vegas​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Manny Pacquiao TKO12 Miguel Cotto
Wins a welterweight title
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Pacquiao, 50-3-2, 38 KOs; Cotto, 34-2, 27 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: These are the fights you live for, aren't they? And Pacquiao delivered a performance for the ages as he made boxing history yet again, this time winning a record-setting seventh title in a seventh division as he took Cotto's version of the welterweight championship. Pacquiao has now held titles at flyweight, junior featherweight, featherweight, junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight and welterweight. It's an extraordinary accomplishment for a guy who started his career at 106 pounds and won his first title at 112 pounds. Of those seven titles, four have been the lineal championship, also a record. But Pacquiao, 30, is about far more than just titles. The national icon of the Philippines has become a global star who doesn't just win fights. He puts guys away, bigger guys. How about this three-fight run of knockouts: Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and now Cotto. It is really remarkable.
For about five rounds, this was a sensational action fight as both men gave as good as they took. It had the sold-out MGM Grand Garden Arena crowd of more than 16,200 surging with electricity. We already knew Pacquiao had great speed and power, but what he showed against Cotto was a tremendous chin. Make no mistake: Cotto got in a lot of heavy punches, but Pacquiao weathered the storm like a champ. After the fight was over, Pacquiao's face was marked up, cut and bruised, and his right ear was a mess. Even after Pacquiao knocked Cotto down in the third round, it was still highly competitive because Cotto was not seriously hurt from the knockdown. In the fourth round, Puerto Rico's Cotto, 29, was hammering Pacquiao and winning the round until the last 10 seconds, when Pacquiao cracked him with a nasty left and Cotto went down again. He was clearly hurt and wobbly, but the round ended and Pacquiao couldn't finish him. But that's where the fight seemed to clearly change. Cotto was still doing pretty well in the fifth, but then Pacquiao began to seriously take over. You could tell that the inevitable finish was coming when Cotto started backpedaling, looking more to avoid punches than to deliver them. Cotto, who showed enormous heart, was taking a lot of punches in the later rounds. Frankly, the fight could have been stopped anywhere from about the eighth round on. But Cotto had no intention of quitting. He refused to allow his corner to stop the fight after the 10th and 11th rounds, even though trainer Joe Santiago and his father, Miguel Sr., wanted to call it off. Referee Kenny Bayless consulted with the ringside doctor and they were keeping a close eye on him. In the 12th round, Bayless was looking for any reason to stop the fight, and when Pacquiao landed a little flurry, he intervened at 55 seconds to end the historic night. By the way, if you somehow missed the pay-per-view (shame on you if you did, fight freaks!), HBO will replay the fight Saturday night (10 p.m. ET/PT). For Cotto, it could be a long trip back to the top, if he ever gets there. Between this loss, one that left Cotto bloody, beaten and swollen, and last year's knockout loss to Antonio Margarito (no matter how suspect it was because of questions over Margarito's gloves), Cotto has taken severe punishment. Will he ever recover? It's hard to say, but the reality is that he probably won't ever be the same. For Pacquiao, he's the biggest star in the sport after winning the year's biggest fight. We all know what looms, and that's the ultimate summit meeting with Floyd Mayweather Jr. They are without question No. 1 and No. 2 on the pound-for-pound list, regardless of which guy you believe is No. 1. When they fight (that's when, not if), it will be a gargantuan promotion and a fight that probably will break all boxing revenue record known to man. It should happen next. It must happen next. No excuses from either side. Let Pacquiao take a nice vacation after this tough, tough fight. And then, sometime in the first half of 2010, it better be Pacquiao-Mayweather. [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. W10 Troy Rowland
Scores: 99-91, 98-92, 97-93​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Chavez Jr., 41-0-1, 30 KOs; Rowland, 25-3, 7 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: As tremendous as the Pacquiao-Cotto matchup was in the main event, Chavez-Rowland was the utter garbage Top Rank served up as a semifinal on a thoroughly putrid undercard. Instead of using this huge platform for a real fight and giving fans some additional value for their $54.95 (and even more for HD), we got this meaningless bout. Chavez Jr., 23, has a great name but enough is enough. He isn't improving and he's not going anywhere. He may draw in fans in Mexico and appeal to the hard-core Mexican-American fans, and that's great. He and Top Rank can make money and put on cards with him as the headliner, which allow Top Rank's prospects and lesser-known titleholders to stay active. It's a great business model. But Chavez belonged in the co-feature of the year's biggest fight about as much as his retired father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., who was ringside. He won the lackluster fight (which the crowd was booing) simply by landing the harder punches against Rowland, 34, a hardworking journeyman from Grand Rapids, Mich., who was fighting for the third time this year since ending a four-year retirement. The fight stunk so badly that even the HBO PPV commentators were bored to death, simply ignoring the fight for long stretches while they discussed the impending main event.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Yuri Foreman W12 Daniel Santos
Wins a junior middleweight title
Scores: 117-109 (twice), 116-110​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Foreman, 28-0, 8 KOs; Santos, 32-4-1, 23 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Foreman, the mandatory challenger and rabbinical student, was born in Belarus and raised in Israel, and he lives in New York. He toyed with a lethargic, weight-drained Santos to easily win a world title. Foreman, not known for any sort of serious punching power, knocked Santos down in the second round and punctuated his victory with another knockdown in the 12th round, when the fight was long decided. Foreman, 29, was undoubtedly helped by the fact that Santos had no legs under him from the outset. That's what losing about eight pounds the week of the fight -- according to a Team Santos insider -- will do to somebody. Plus, Santos hadn't fought since winning the title on a spectacular knockout of Joachim Alcine in Montreal in July 2008. Foreman has a boring style and isn't particularly pleasing to watch, but the man knows how to box. He showed good speed and technique to box circles around Puerto Rico's Santos, 34, a southpaw who looked like a shot fighter. It was a bit of a sloppy fight because they clashed heads several times, but Foreman was in control all the way.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Alfonso Gomez Tech. Dec. 6 Jesus Soto-Karass
Scores: 58-54, 57-55 (twice)​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Gomez, 21-4-2, 10 KOs; Soto-Karass, 24-4-3, 16 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Other than the main event, this fight figured to be the best on the card because of the straight-ahead, brawling style of both men. It wasn't a bad fight, but it wasn't the slugfest that was expected, because Soto-Karass didn't want to fight by the rules. He fouled Gomez repeatedly, getting docked a point by referee Vic Drakulich in the third round and for a brutal low blow in the fourth round. Soto-Karass' head butts in the third round opened a cut over Gomez's right eye, which bled the rest of the fight. Gomez, 29, starred in the first season of "The Contender," retired Arturo Gatti in 2007 and was blitzed by Miguel Cotto in five rounds in a 2008 welterweight title shot. Since that loss to Cotto, Gomez has won three in a row. He got this one when the fight was stopped because of the cut and sent to the cards for a technical decision. Soto-Karras, 27, who is from Mexico and lives in California -- same as Gomez -- saw his 15-fight unbeaten streak (13-0-2) come to an end. He hadn't lost since dropping a decision to Yuri Foreman in 2005 for his third consecutive loss.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Matvey Korobov W6 James Winchester
Scores: 60-54 (three times)​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Korobov, 8-0, 6 KOs; Winchester, 10-3, 3 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Korobov, 26, was a decorated Russian amateur who fought for his country in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and was regarded as one of the most promising pro prospects in the tournament. He signed with Top Rank and manager Cameron Dunkin and is learning the pro game and being moved well. He had no problem with Winchester, a late replacement (after several opponents fell through) who showed good durability to weather so many flush punches and nasty body shots. This was Korobov's first fight under new trainer Kenny Adams, who coached the 1988 U.S. Olympic team and is one of the best in the business. Adams, who has been with Korobov for only about three weeks, is working on some aspects of Korobov's game and used the distance fight to watch his pupil very closely. You can be sure there will be much to go over after the performance, which was a victory but not the most impressive one. For whatever reason, Korobov looked tired after two rounds and didn't have the kind of snap on his punches that he had in previous fights. Winchester, 31, hadn't lost since dropping his first two pro bouts in 2003.
[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Limerick, Ireland​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Andy Lee W10 Affif Belghecham
Score: 99-92​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Lee, 20-1, 14 KOs; Belghecham, 19-4-1, 4 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Fighting in his hometown, Lee, a southpaw and 2004 Irish Olympian, dominated most of the fight until the final couple of rounds to take the clear decision, although Belghecham injected some drama into the proceedings when he dominated the final two rounds and rocked a fading Lee in the 10th round. Lee went into the fight without trainer Emanuel Steward in the corner. He was tied up in his role as an analyst for the HBO PPV telecast of the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto card in Las Vegas. So Lee had Joey Gamache, Steward's top assistant, in his corner for the fight against the 35-year-old French southpaw. Incidentally, the reason for their being just one score is because in Ireland, domestic bouts are scored only by the referee, in this case, Emile Tiedt. Lee, 25, won his fifth in a row since his seventh-round upset TKO loss to Brian Vera in March 2008 on ESPN2.
Friday at Las Vegas​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior bantamweight
Alberto Rosas W12 Federico Catubay
Title eliminator, scores: 117-111 (twice), 116-112
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Rosas, 31-5, 25 KOs; Catubay, 25-16-3, 14 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Mexico's Rosas fought a good inside fight to take the decision against Catubay of the Philippines in the main event of an Azteca America card that took place at one of the cooler venues in Las Vegas -- inside the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay. It took Rosas a few rounds to adjust to Catubay's awkward style, but he did eventually. The fight was a bit messy at times, but with the victory, Rosas became the mandatory challenger for titlist Simphiwe Nongqayi of South Africa, who outpointed Jorge Arce in September to win a belt that had been vacated by Vic Darchinyan. Rosas, 24, won his third fight in a row after suffering back-to-back losses, including a decision to bantamweight titlist Fernando Montiel in a nontitle bout. Catubay, 29, dropped his second fight in his last three bouts.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Michel Rosales W10 Mark Melligen
Scores: 96-94 (twice) Rosales, 98-92 Melligen​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Rosales, 25-3, 21 KOs; Melligen, 16-2, 12 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Top Rank has been high on Melligen, 23, and he looked good stopping veteran Ernesto Zepeda in the fourth round in August. Melligen, of the Philippines, had served as one of Floyd Mayweather's chief sparring partners while Mayweather was preparing to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in September, and Mayweather doled out compliments about the work he gave him. So it was a surprise to see Melligen drop the split decision, even though he spent long stretches of the fight going backward while Rosales tried to pressure him. Rosales, 26, of Mexico, won his second in a row after suffering a 10th-round knockout loss to rising prospect Saul Alvarez in April. Melligen saw a 10-fight winning streak dating to early 2007 come to an end.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Bantamweight
Z Gorres W10 Luis Melendez
Scores: 98-90 (twice), 97-91​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Gorres, 30-2-2, 15 KOs; Melendez, 26-4-1, 21 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: This was a rough one. Gorres, 27, a fine contender and former world title challenger from the Philippines promoted by Manny Pacquiao's company, won going away in a mostly dominant performance. That was until the final 20 seconds of the fight, when Melendez, 29, of Colombia, dropped Gorres with a left hand. Gorres, who hit his head on the bottom rope going down, made it to his feet, finished the fight, heard himself announced as the winner and then collapsed. He was rushed to a nearby hospital and into surgery, where he had an operation to relieve pressure on his brain and was put into a medically induced coma. Gorres is fighting for his life, but as of Saturday night was out of the coma and showing signs of improvement, although things were still touch and go. His career is over. You just hope he is able to carry on with some of normalcy to his life. Gorres, who lost a debatable split decision to Fernando Montiel for a junior bantamweight title in February 2007, is 5-0-1 since. Melendez dropped to 2-3 in his last five, including a 12th-round TKO loss in a fantastic fight, also challenging Montiel for a junior bantamweight title in October 2007.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior featherweight
Roberto Marroquin TKO3 Anthony Napunyi
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Marroquin, 11-0, 8 KOs; Napunyi, 14-8, 7 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Marroquin, 20, of Dallas, is one of several Top Rank prospects being developed nicely by matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman with little fanfare. Marroquin, who turned pro in early 2008, dominated the fight until ending matters with a right hand to the jaw. Napunyi, 27, of Kenya, lost his fourth in a row, each coming by way of knockout.
Friday at Stoke-on-Trent, England​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Lovemore N'dou D12 Matthew Hatton
Scores: 115-114 Hatton, 115-114 N'dou, 114-114​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: N'dou, 47-11-2, 31 KOs; Hatton, 37-4-2, 14 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Australia's N'dou, who is originally from South Africa, went to the home turf of Hatton and got himself a draw. When you can do that in the other man's hometown, it's at least a moral victory. Nonetheless, Hatton, 28, the younger brother of former junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton (who was ringside) and N'dou waged a closely contested fight. N'dou, 38, a former junior welterweight titlist who moved up to welterweight in 2008, landed the heavier blows and opened a cut on Hatton's eyelid in the second round. Hatton was the busier fighter, showed a good chin and came on late, but not enough to get the nod. It's likely the pair will face off in a rematch next year. N'dou fell to 2-3-1 in his last six.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Is Kessler really a 3-1 favorite on Saturday?

Might have to put my money on Ward then. Still think Kessler's gonna win tho.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Is Kessler really a 3-1 favorite on Saturday?

Might have to put my money on Ward then. Still think Kessler's gonna win tho.

boxing odds are always off , if ward wins its cause he put kessler on his %%@ , no way he outbox's him in europe for 12

do you guys think that 2 years from now paul williams and chad dawson get in the ring? that can be the new paqiao vs mayweather lmao 147- light heavy is 6divisions i think

^ They're fighting in Oakland.

I like Ward, just haven't been impressed by his fights. He has fast hands and good footwork but he tends to hold alot. B-Hop lite if you ask me.

If Chad decides to not dance for 4 rounds in the middle of every fight, he beats Paul easily. Whether it's at 168 or 175.

Originally Posted by Proshares

They fighting in Oakland.

oh yea didnt ward make a comment aboout not fighting in europe his manager/promoter wish he hadnt of said

floyd was more impressive against jmm than paq was against cotto , jmm couldnt hit floyd with a slegde hammer , how the !%+* does anyone think paq can beatmaywetaher is beyond me, if he shows up and beats maywetaher then it should be a surprise to all of us and my hat will go off to him. styles make fight,handspeed,power,defense,ring dictatorship size and affective counter punching are on mayweathers advantage. not to mention pac is coming off a 12 round fightand mayweather cruised thru 12 rounds after a 2 year lay-off and has never really atken any kind of abuse in the ring , im not going to lie freddy roach andmanny have come a long way but mayweather has never brawled in his 18 years in the sport, the man has it down to the T.....go look at pavlik vs bernard hopkinswhat pavlik did to jermain and miranda is worse than the punishment little paq has been giving

Back
Top Bottom