09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

And I also found this pretty funny when looking at the fight schedule for the weekend:
At Miami (Telemundo): Jose Reyes vs. Efren Hinojosa, 12 rounds, lightweights; Roberto Acevedo vs. Rashad Ganaway, 8 rounds, lightweights
roll.gif

WINKY WRIGHT AND PAUL WILLIAMS SET TO BATTLE AT MANDALAY BAY ON APRIL 11

PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2009

LOS ANGELES, February 12 - What happens when two of boxing's most feared superstars can't find anyone willing to step up and face them? They fight each other. On Saturday, April 11th, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, former Junior Middleweight World Champion Winky Wright will look to stop the meteoric rise of two-division World Champion Paul "The Punisher" Williams in a 12 round middleweight bout that is destined to land the winner on the list of boxing's best, pound-for-pound.

Tickets priced at $300, $200, $150, $100 and $50 go on sale Friday, Feb. 13 at 10 a.m. at all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith's Food and Drug Centers and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to eight (
glasses.gif
per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (702) 745-3000. Tickets also will be available for purchase at www.mandalaybay.com or www.ticketmaster.com. [table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

"I'm excited to see these two great fighters squaring off at Mandalay Bay on April 11th," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "I know that when two great champions like Winky and Paul fight each other, they are always determined to deliver the types of performances that will thrill fight fans."

"It's an exciting time for our sport," said Dan Goossen, President of Goossen Tutor Promotions. "Paul Williams, the "Most Feared Fighter in the World" against Winky Wright, the "Most Avoided Fighter in the World" showing the world there are no challenges that won't be accepted by real champions. This is the type of fight that will showcase Paul's size, skills and champion's heart which he'll need against the man that has virtually beaten every world champion he has faced."

"I have to give credit to Paul for stepping up to the plate, it's about time someone did...," said Chris Lighty, CEO of Winky Promotions. "We're excited to get Winky back in the ring and pleased that the time is now here. I'm glad we could make this happen. Paul may be younger, but Wink definitely wants it more."

Wright vs. Williams, a 12 round middleweight bout which is presented by Golden Boy Promotions, Goossen Tutor Promotions and Winky Promotions, will air live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT.

"These are clearly two of the most avoided fighters in boxing over the last decade and for good reason because they are two of the best," said Kery Davis, senior vice president HBO Sports. "This should be a tremendous match up of will and skill."

The name of St. Petersburg, Florida's Winky Wright (51-4-1, 25 KOs) has signified excellence between the ropes for nearly two decades. A former Undisputed Junior Middleweight World Champion who made nine successful defenses of his crown, Wright truly broke through on the world scene in 2004 with back-to-back wins over Sugar Shane Mosley. Not one to rest on his laurels, he moved up to middleweight in 2005 and defeated Puerto Rican superstar Felix "Tito" Trinidad. Although he would suffer a decision loss to Bernard Hopkins in 2007, the 37-year-old southpaw is rested, determined and hungrier than ever for his April 11th showdown with Williams.

"It's been a long time since I've been this motivated and I can't wait until the bell rings," said Wright. "Paul is one of the top young fighters in the game, but he hasn't seen what I've seen or done what I've done. This is my time to shine and I won't let this young fighter steal my spotlight."

Despite the fact that he's only 27 years old, Augusta, Georgia's Paul Williams (36-1, 27 KOs) has done more in eight years in the pro ring than most have done in an entire career. Owner of world titles at welterweight and junior middleweight, Williams is now chasing after glory at middleweight. If his past wins over Antonio Margarito, Carlos Quintana, Sharmba Mitchell and Vernon Phillips are any indication, the 160-pound weight class had better watch out for "The Punisher."

"I am glad that the fight is on," said Williams. "This fight has got a big name. Wright has taken the titles from Champions and I'd love to take his reputation. That would add to my legacy. All I know is that everyone says he has got a good defense and nice jab but that doesn't matter to me - I'm going to get mine in. I'm gonna whoop him and get in there."

[h1]Pretty Boy Floyd declines Mosley challenge[/h1]
3 comments

February 12, 11:48 AM

by Marv Dumon, Business and Finance Examiner

« Previous

Next »

00610001%282%29.jpg

Floyd Mayweather - Photo by Bret Newton - Pound4Pound.com
Sugar Shane Mosley's spectacular knockout of Antonio Margarito - an elite fighter currently mired in cheating controversy - has made boxing planners map out the boxing landscape for potential next matches. At 37 years of age, and winding down his solid career, Mosley has made it clear that he is looking for high profile fights against the best fighters out there. Regarding timelines, it looks like Sugar Shane could soon be displaying his quick hands and punching power sometime this summer.
According to Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, who represents Mosley, Mayweather's camp has flat out rejected a prospective fight against a fighter who - post the Margarito fight - many consider has taken the mantle as the best welterweight in the world. Pretty Boy Floyd has kept mum on his future plans, ignoring the retirement / unretirement issue in a recent Super Bowl interview. Bad news for Sugar Shane - given his stature, if there is any boxer out there most deserving of high dollar / primetime prize fights, it is he.

MosleyvsMargarito52.jpg

Mosley vs. Margarito - Bret Newton - Pound4Pound.com

Former Margarito foe Miguel Cotto now looks like a solid possibility. Mosley lost a narrow decision to Cotto in 2007. Still considered by most boxing enthusiasts as a top 10 pound for pound fighter, sporting only one loss, a Cotto vs. Mosley showdown (which is a prospective Pay-Per-View fight) can take place as early as late summer, perhaps on HBO. The commentators on HBO - namely Emanuel Steward, Larry Merchant, and Jim Lampley - in their live commentaries on bouts featuring Cotto and Mosley, have shown favorable views toward both fighters. This match could feature two very good boxers, both viewed favorably by the public, slugging it out for a very good fight.

MosleyvsMargarito56.jpg

Bret Newton - Pound4Pound.com

Another possibility for Sugar Shane is a clash with the winner of Manny Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, a junior welterweight championship bout set to take place on May 2nd. There are various internet musings about Mosley's superior size advantage against the winner of that fight. Increasing the marketability of a Mayweather vs. Mosley showdown - a fight that many consider should have happened already. What lies in store for Pretty Boy Floyd? There are less and less details to offer.

said Williams. "This fight has got a big name. Wright has taken the titles from Champions and I'd love to take his reputation. That would add to my legacy. All I know is that everyone says he has got a good defense and nice jab but that doesn't matter to me - I'm going to get mine in. I'm gonna whoop him and get in there."

BIG TALKIN
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Owww.

on the flip side

indifferent.gif
PBF

Shane has been asking to fight Floyd for a long time now and Floyd still doesn't want it. Hopefull Nate doesn't letthis happen to him.

Anyone seen Funeka� This guy is a monster. 6'1" lightweight!

Campbell might have his hands full but I can see him taking this guy by pounding him in the inside. Talk about a high risk/low reward fight so props toCampbell for taking this.

PBF vs Shane would be a huge $ fight. Its just the harder fight for Floyd.
( even tho I think Floyd would win )
He is just trying to the most $ the easiest way.
smh.gif

And that's sad considering how us boxing fans hold PBF in such high regard.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

PBF vs Shane would be a huge $ fight. Its just the harder fight for Floyd.
( even tho I think Floyd would win )
He is just trying to the most $ the easiest way.
smh.gif

And that's sad considering how us boxing fans hold PBF in such high regard.

Honestly, I dont even think Mosely would be a tougher fight for Floyd than Manny. But I do agree with the rest of your post

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
sig check.

Don't make me change mine.
laugh.gif

"Rematch: 1st round KO."

From the way things are going looks like he'll have to fight in Siberia to get a rematch with Paul
laugh.gif
but if they fight in Mexico you know it's a wrap
laugh.gif

Honestly, I dont even think Mosely would be a tougher fight for Floyd than Manny. But I do agree with the rest of your post
I think the complete opposite I think Mosley would be a tougher fight for Floyd but I agree with Shannon, the money wouldn't be as much as itwould for him to fight Pacquaio.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Lightweight titlist Campbell keeps rolling with the punches[/h1]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 13, 2009

box_e_funeka_576.jpg

David Martin Warr/Don King Productions

Nate Campbell, left, has promised to lay a beating on Ali Funeka when they meet Saturday.
[h3]Campbell rolls with the punches[/h3]
Since he first put on boxing gloves, all Nate Campbell has ever wanted was to become a world champion. He accomplished that goal in impressive fashion 13 months ago by outpointing the heavily favored Juan Diaz to claim three belts.

For a fighter who had been relegated to journeyman status by some a few years earlier because of his maddening inconsistency in the ring, defeating one of the top young fighters in the sport and winning all that hardware was highly significant.

Campbell couldn't have been happier. He was on top of the world and looking forward to all sorts of potential big fights in the deep 135-pound division.

However, it didn't quite work out the way Campbell had hoped after that memorable performance in a bullring in Cancun, Mexico.

Although Campbell is set for his first defense -- against South Africa's dangerous Ali Funeka (30-1-2, 25 KOs) in a mandatory defense Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET/PT) at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., in the main event of a tripleheader that also includes interim junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez against Kermit Cintron and hot junior middleweight prospect Alfredo Angulo against Cosme Rivera -- the past year has been a tough road getting to this fight.

After beating Diaz, Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs) was suddenly saddled with an unexpected mandatory defense against Joan Guzman, who vacated his junior lightweight belt and moved up to lightweight and immediately started bashing Campbell. By the time the fight was made for mid-September, Campbell was anxious to shut Guzman up.

Campbell, as always, was ready to fight but Guzman arrived in Biloxi, Miss., and was overweight at the weigh-in. He then refused to go through with the fight as a nontitle, over-the-weight match. Just a couple of hours before they were to enter the ring, the fight was canceled. With no fight, Campbell didn't get his $300,000 purse.

Already dealing with mounting financial problems, including an $110,000 IRS bill, not to mention a new wife and their combined six children to support, Campbell declared bankruptcy a few weeks later. That also cost his family the house they planned to close on after the Guzman fight.

That sounds like a pretty rough year, doesn't it? Campbell, however, seems to have let it simply roll off his back with ease.

"It's not been rocky for me at all," he said this week. "I'm lightweight champion of the world. That's all I ever came into the sport to be, to be champion and to make the Hall of Fame. I can still fight and I can fight damn good, so how could this be a bad year for me? I didn't think I'd ever make the money I did in boxing. I don't let none of that deter me."

With the Guzman fight canceled, the lack of television dates late in the year and the bankruptcy keeping him idle, Campbell had a long layoff. But he said he stayed in shape and didn't let it get to him.

"Hey, he didn't want to fight," Campbell said. "I was upset, but at the same time, I'm still lightweight champion of the world. I can't get mad over what some other man wouldn't do.

OK, he didn't want to fight. Nothing I could do about it. Move on."

While Campbell seems at ease with everything that has happened, Terry Trekas, his adviser and close friend, is more emotional and outspoken.

"It's been a lot harder on me than him," Trekas said. "Nate doesn't let that kind of stuff get to him. He's like, 'Sooner or later they have to fight me, in nine months, 19 months, 90 months, sooner or later the top guys will have to see me.' I get more frustrated with these things than he does and all the politics that allowed this to happen."

Campbell didn't even seem too upset by the bankruptcy. His viewpoint is that he's been poor most of his life, so this is nothing new.

box_a_campbelldiaz_300.jpg

AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo

Nate Campbell, right, thought he'd be on the fast track to success after defeating Juan Diaz but it hasn't worked out that way.

"I'm blessed. People don't understand that," Campbell said. "I don't dwell on money like that. I want to have money, don't get me wrong, but I'm not caught up in it like that. The bankruptcy was a business decision I had to make. But in all actuality, I'm just ecstatic about being lightweight champion and I want to be a champion for a long time.

"I've been through enough in my life that something like that was not going to faze me. I ain't never had nothing. I had financial problems all my life. I was poor. I'm not letting my family starve. We will be OK. We've been OK. I'm not the guy who will lose everything and jump out a window. I have lost everything before. All I had for a long time was my belief that I could be world champion."

Trekas helped Campbell navigate the bankruptcy and rented him a house to live in until he can get back on his financial feet, which they figure will happen with a win over Funeka, after which Campbell will be a promotional free agent.

"Nate had some plans with the house and stuff that had to be put on hold with the bankruptcy, but this sort of stuff rolls off him," Trekas said. "After the next [fight], he can find an even better house.

"In a way, Nate's kind of used to this because every part of his boxing career has gone the hard way. He never had silver spoon. He's had to struggle swimming against the current. This is more of the same, so it is nothing new. The biggest disappointment for him was he didn't get to fight, because that's what he loves to do. Put the money aside, he just wanted to get in the ring and kick the s--- out of Guzman."

Now, Campbell is looking forward to doing it to Funeka, who earned his mandatory status with an impressive knockout of contender Zahir Raheem.

When the fight was made, Campbell had never even heard of Funeka, but got to know about him quickly when Funeka made some disparaging remarks about him in the South African media.

"Funeka, whether he knows it or not, would have been better off not talking and maybe he could have gone the distance. Now, he's going to take a beating. He's going to take a smashing.

"Funeka said he knows me like the back of his hand. Now he gets to meet the front of my hand on Saturday night."
[h3]Mosley wants Cotto, but not in New York[/h3]
With Antonio Margarito's license revocation derailing a June rematch with Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto, that leaves Shane Mosley, who crushed Margarito in January, as the biggest available opponent for Cotto to fight this summer.

box_a_mosley_200.jpg

Al Bello/Getty Images

Shane Mosley, left, would be happy to fight Miguel Cotto again -- just not in New York.

Margarito and Cotto had been slated for a rematch in June, on the eve of the annual Puerto Rican Day parade, at New York's Madison Square Garden, but Margarito won't be able to fight in the United States for at least a year after his license was revoked for tampering with his gloves before his fight with Mosley.

Mosley said he'd love to take Margarito's place in the fight and face Cotto again in an attempt to avenge a tight decision loss in 2007 at the Garden, Cotto's home away from home.

However, if the rematch happens -- and Cotto first has to make it past Michael Jennings at the Garden next Saturday (Top Rank PPV) -- Mosley told ESPN.com he would not fight Cotto in New York again.

"I won't be flying into New York if there's a rematch," Mosley, of Pomona, Calif., said. "They'll be coming to Las Vegas or Los Angeles. He can fight in New York in June, but it won't be with me. This time, it will have to be on the West side. But I definitely want to fight Cotto again."
[h3]"Tijuana Thunder"[/h3]
Top Rank formally announced its March 28 "Tijuana Thunder" pay-per-view card, which will be headlined by junior middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. facing Luciano Cuello. Promoter Bob Arum said the $39.95 card would include five televised bouts. In the co-feature, junior lightweight titlist Humberto Soto will defend against an opponent to be determined.

Also on the card will be junior bantamweight titlist Fernando Montiel, who will move up to bantamweight and will likely face Diego Silva for a vacant interim belt; welterweight Jose Luis Castillo, the former two-time lightweight champion who is finalizing a deal to fight former title challenger Antonio Diaz; and junior flyweight contender Giovani Segura against a foe to be named.

box_mijares_friends_sw_300.jpg

Chris Farina/Top Rank

Humberto Soto, Fernando Montiel and Jose Luis Castillo take Tijuana by storm on March 28.

Segura had been ticketed for a Feb. 28 rematch with interim titleholder Cesar Canchila, a fight that has been on and off for months. However, Canchila didn't want to face Segura in Mexico and the fight has yet again been scrapped. Instead, Canchila is likely headed for Puerto Rico to challenge junior flyweight world champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon on a card there March 28.

"From top to bottom, this is the greatest Mexican boxing event ever and I'm proud to be promoting it," Arum said in just a wee bit of an overstatement.
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

2 comments on "Lightweight titlist Campbell keeps rolling with the punches"

[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]
box_a_alexander_65.jpg

Alexander

• Junior welterweight prospect Devon Alexander, the St. Louis prodigy who turned 22 this week, issued a letter to media members declaring his willingness to fight a long list of contenders or former titleholders in an effort to get on either HBO or Showtime. Coincidentally, Alexander manager and trainer Kevin Cunningham said he was approached this week by HBO to gauge his interest in matching Alexander with fellow rising prospect Mike Alvarado on HBO's April 25 "Boxing After Dark" card headlined by junior featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Lopez versus Gerry Penalosa in Puerto Rico. Top Rank, which is promoting the show, has not lined up an opening bout, although HBO has interest in Alvarado as well. Cunningham said he has talked to their promoter, Don King, and their side is willing to negotiate the bout. "I think it's a great fight with two young up-and-comers," he said. "That's what 'Boxing After Dark' is all about, matching up guys to find the future stars of boxing. That's a fight we want. HBO likes it, we like it. If Alvarado is the fighter Top Rank thinks he is, then they should make the fight. It's two young guns and the winner moves on."

box_a_casamayor_65.jpg

Casamayor

• Golden Boy Promotions has rounded out its four-fight April 4 (HBO PPV) lightweight tournament card, aptly titled "Lightweight Lightning," which will take place in Texas -- in San Antonio or Austin. Besides the three previous bouts lined up -- Edwin Valero-Antonio Pitalua for a vacant interim belt, Michael Katsidis-Jesus Chavez and Jorge Barrios-Carlos Hernandez -- Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that Joel Casamayor will face Julio Diaz. Casamayor is coming off an 11th-round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in September, when he lost the recognized 135-pound title. Other than Pitalua, the rest of the fighters have all held pieces of world championships at either lightweight or junior lightweight. Ideally, the winners will meet in the semifinals later in the year, Schaefer said. He'd like the winner to eventually face the winner of the Feb. 28 fight between Marquez and former titleholder Juan Diaz. "The fighters in this tournament all have a chance to really make some noise in the lightweight division," Schaefer said. "We've got eight fighters, seven former champions, and four evenly matched, exciting fights."

box_fw_vazquez1_65.jpg

Marquez

• After losing the last two fights in his epic trilogy with Israel Vazquez, former junior featherweight champion Rafael Marquez (37-5, 33 KOs) is ready to get back in the ring after a long rest. Marquez, also the former bantamweight champion, hasn't fought since losing a split decision to Vazquez in their rubber match 11 months ago in the 2008 ESPN.com fight of the year. But Marquez will return in March or April in a tune-up fight in his native Mexico, promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com. "[Trainer] Nacho Beristain wants him to get one or two fights under his belt and then we'll look for something bigger," Shaw said. A fourth fight with Vazquez remains a possibility, Shaw said. Vazquez, healing from eye injuries, is expected to return around June.

box_f_angulo_65.jpg

Angulo

• Hot junior middleweight prospect Alfredo "Perro" Angulo had a hard time finding someone to fight him Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET/PT) on "Boxing After Dark." Originally, Angulo (14-0, 11 KOs) was scheduled to fight former titleholder Ricardo Mayorga in a bout announced in November. But Mayorga pulled out 10 days before the fight, leaving promoter Gary Shaw and HBO scrambling. After running through a variety of opponents, in stepped Danny Perez, who backed out just as quickly, unhappy with the $80,000 purse. Former "Contender" winner Grady Brewer and ex-titleholder Kassim Ouma were discussed, but ex-welterweight title challenger Cosme Rivera (31-11-2, 23 KOs) accepted the fight on four days' notice. Shaw was happy somebody had finally agreed to fight his prized prospect. "For 'Perro' and his trainer, they didn't care," Shaw told ESPN.com. "They would take anyone at any weight. They said yes to everyone we mentioned. It's a relief that your fighter is that confident. I'm just happy to get 'Perro' a fight at this point. HBO really worked overtime keep him on the card. To their credit, they are starting to feel Angulo's potential star power."

box_a_speter_65.jpg

Peter

• In his last fight in October, Samuel Peter (30-2, 23 KOs) retired after eight rounds, losing a heavyweight title in his first defense in a beating from Vitali Klitschko. Now, Peter is back, but not by taking the usual route of a soft touch. Peter faces Eddie Chambers (33-1, 18 KOs), a contender in his own right and winner of three straight since losing a decision to Alexander Povetkin in a title eliminator 13 months ago. They'll meet March 27 in a significant "Friday Night Fights" main event (ESPN2). "We have a verbal agreement," said Peter promoter Dino Duva, adding that he's waiting for Chambers promoter Dan Goossen to send him the contract. "It's absolutely one of those career crossroads fights for both guys. A win by Sam against a very credible contender goes a long way to re-establish his standing and can begin the amnesia process of the Klitschko fight. A win by Chambers solidifies him as a valid top contender. Whoever loses is pretty much in the dumps."

box_a_dirrell_65.jpg

Dirrell

• Promoters Gary Shaw and Lou DiBella are co-promoting a March 28 "ShoBox" card on Showtime on which super middleweight prospect Andre Dirrell, a 2004 U.S. Olympic bronze medalist, will headline against an opponent to be determined and junior middleweight prospect Ronald Hearns faces Harry Joe Yorgey in the opener. If Hearns wins, DiBella told ESPN.com that he'll try to get Hearns a title shot against he winner of the still-to-be-scheduled vacant title bout between Cory Spinks and the DiBella-promoted Deandre Latimore. That bout goes to a purse bid next week.

box_a_johnson_65.jpg

Johnson

• With the top fighters avoiding him, Glen Johnson (48-12-2, 33 KOs) will go about his business anyway by staying busy. The former light heavyweight champ will headline the Feb. 27 "Friday Night Fights (ESPN2) from the Hard Rock resort in Hollywood, Fla., in a rematch against Daniel Judah (23-3-3, 10 KOs), who escaped with a controversial draw against Johnson in 2003. "This is one of the fights I've been waiting to get back, and now the time is here," Johnson said. "I know I won the first fight with Judah, and I will take care of the injustice of that draw."

box_a_lee_65.jpg

Lee

• Although promoter Irish Ropes had a nasty split with its top attraction, John Duddy, it will still stage its annual card on St. Patrick's Day eve, March 16, at New York's Madison Square Garden Theater. Headlining is super middleweight Andy Lee (16-1, 13 KOs), a 2004 Irish Olympian. Lee, coming off an eight-month layoff because of surgery to remove scar tissue, faces the long-faded Antwun Echols (31-9-4, 27 KOs). Despite three losses in his last four bouts and some long layoffs, featherweight Wayne McCullough (27-7, 18 KOs), an ex-bantamweight titlist, will fight in the co-feature. "I'm honored to be sharing the card with one of my heroes, Wayne McCullough, starting when he was in the Olympics and as a pro," Lee said. "He's been like a mentor to me, always helping me. It's like I'm being reintroduced in America. I lost my last fight in America and came back strong in my last fight (in Ireland), knocking out Willie Gibbs. I took some time off last year to let my eye heal. If I win this and a few more I should be in the top 10 and knocking on the door for a world title fight."

box_fw_mSantiago_65.jpg

Santiago

• Featherweight contender Mario Santiago (19-1-1, 14 KOs), who drew with titleholder Steven Luevano in June in an action-packed fight, was scheduled to make his return on the Kelly Pavlik-Marco Antonio Rubio card Feb. 21 (Top Rank PPV) in Youngstown, Ohio. However, Santiago came down with the flu and has been scratched from the show, Top Rank matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman said.

box_u_godfrey_65.jpg

Godfrey

• Cruiserweight Matt Godfrey injured his hand in training, forcing postponement of his March 6 title eliminator against Herbie Hide in Germany. Hide will still fight in an eight-rounder to stay busy and the eliminator will be rescheduled with the winner due a shot at the winner of next month's bout between beltholder Giacobbe Fragomeni and Krzysztof Wlodarczyk.

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_fw_diaz_65.jpg

Diaz

"I want to thank Juan Manuel for the opportunity to fight him. He is giving me the chance. I needed someone like Juan Manuel to put me back to the top, so that I can say to everyone that I am the best lightweight in the world." -- former lightweight titleholder Juan Diaz on his Feb. 28 (HBO) title challenge against champion Juan Manuel Marquez in Houston.

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_a_marquez1_sw_65.jpg

Marquez

"Everyone knows that Diaz is a great fighter and a great champion. On Feb. 28 I will put my Mexican heart and blood on the line in this fight. I'm 35 years old and I feel young, like I'm 25 years old." -- Marquez, on his upcoming showdown with Diaz.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
@ Nate Luis Castillo

[h1]http://www.fightnews.com/?p=3915[/h1]
[h1]Campbell loses titles on scale![/h1][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1]
[/size][/font]
campbelljc.jpg

Photo: Javiel Centeno

By Jason Kotar

WBO/IBF lightweight champion Nate Campbell initially weighed in at 138 lbs. for Saturday's bout against Ali Funeka. He was given two hours to lose 3 lbs., but arrived back at the scale slightly after the two hours had expired. Campbell weighed 137.5 upon his return, and thus loses both titles. The bout will still take place, and if Funeka wins, he will claim the vacant title. Funeka weighed in 133.5 on the first try. Ironically, Campbell's previous fight with Joan Guzman was cancelled when Guzman didn't make weight.

How the %@!# him n his team miscalculated that bad? Dude was 3lbs over jesus christ. He's short stoppin his own money.

At least the fight's still on
Nate gonna lose.
smh.gif

How da %@!# he do this when I got ++!%#! tixets.
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom