09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Stupid question perhaps, but since he was banned by the CA Athletic Commission, does this mean he can fight elsewhere or this is an across the board ban? If Irecall correctly, when Zab was banned after the Jay Nady incident he couldnt fight anywhere, so perhaps I knew the answer to my stupid questions.

^ Dan Rafael was said that Margarito can't fight anywhere in the United States.

Alfredo Angulo Oppponent Perez Steps Out, Cosme Rivera Steps In

Former IBF #1-ranked welterweight Cosme "Chino" Rivera (31-11-2, 23 KOs) has agreed to step in on five days notice to face undefeated WBC #3-ranked super welterweight Alfredo "Perro" Angulo (14-0, 11 KOs) on Don King's "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" boxing card on Saturday at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. Former three-time world champion Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga, from Nicaragua, was to have faced Angulo, but pulled out 10 days before the match.

Danny Perez was mentioned as a possible opponent, but that bout was not finalized. The main event showcases unified IBF/WBO/WBA lightweight world champion Nate "Galaxxy Warrior" Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs) opposing IBF mandatory challenger Ali Funeka. Also WBC interim super welterweight champion Sergio Martinez (44-1-1, 24 KOs)meets former IBF welterweight champion Kermit "The Killer" Cintron (30-2, 27 KOs).

Mayorga and Perez both withdrew from the bout and they find a replacement for Angulo.

I am not big on Angulo.

The California State Athletic Commission revoked the licenses of former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito and trainer Javier Capetillo on Tuesday, banning them for at least one year for tampering with Margarito's hand wraps before he was to face Shane Mosley on Jan. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Voting 7-0 on both motions for revocation, the panel found that they put a plaster-like substance on illegal pads inside Margarito's hand wraps.

Before Margarito was knocked out in the ninth round, Mosley's trainer, Naazim Richardson, had objected to the way Margarito's left hand was wrapped. When the wrap was cut off, officials found a suspect bandage wrap inside the knuckle pad that would be placed over Margarito's hands.

Richardson then insisted that the wrap on Margarito's right hand be checked and another identical illegal pad was discovered. Margarito eventually had his hands re-wrapped and went on to lose the fight.

The panel rejected Margarito's plea of ignorance -- he told the panel that he just held up his hands to be wrapped -- and Capetillo's insistence that he had simply made a mistake during a hearing that lasted more than five hours in Van Nuys.

Che Guevara, the inspector responsible for supervising Margarito's hand wrapping, testified that he had never seen that sort of pad used before, apparently missing it being slipped in to the initial wrap before Richardson's objections.

Another inspector, Mike Bray, said during questioning that he had seen the pads and that they were "moist and dirty looking with a white substance smeared across the pad, like a cast plaster."

The commission has yet to identify the substance on the pads and said it won't know what it is until testing is completed next month.

Capetillo said he accidentally put the wrong inserts into his fighter's hand wraps, reaching for the wrong pads in his equipment bag.

"I committed a big mistake," Capetillo told the panel and the standing-room only crowd. "I don't want this young man [Margarito] to have problems. I'm here to cover any responsibility. I take full responsibility. I committed this innocent mistake."

The revocations mean that neither Margarito nor Capetillo can participate in boxing in the United States for at least one year. After a year, both can reapply for their licenses in California, where they would have to go through another hearing. There is no guarantee either would be re-licensed.

"The conduct of both Mr. Margarito and Mr. Capetillo was unacceptable and threatened the health and safety of another licensee," Carrie Lopez, the director of the state's Department of Consumer Affairs, which licenses fighters, told the Associated Press. "Today's action shows that both the Department of Consumer Affairs and the California State Athletic Commission take the issue of boxer safety very seriously, and will move quickly when a licensee's actions threaten the safety of others."

The punishment extends throughout the nation because commissions generally honor suspensions and revocations in other jurisdictions.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, Margarito's promoter, was incensed by the ruling and said they would fight it through California state court.

"It's the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced," Arum told ESPN.com. "It's not going to hold up. The commission determined that Antonio knew nothing and did nothing wrong, but that he is head of his team, so he's responsible for the trainer and, therefore, it is appropriate to revoke his license.

"How can you revoke somebody's license when they didn't do anything or wrong or attempt to do anything wrong? Capetillo admitted that he made an inadvertent mistake and said Tony knew nothing about it. Margarito is a nice guy and deserves better than this."

During the hearing, Margarito attorney Daniel Petrocelli, who has represented such clients as Fred Goldman of O.J. Simpson civil trial fame and former Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling, had an inspector say that Margarito didn't appear to know what was going on.

Arum said he would fight it in court as well as appeal to the Association of Boxing Commissions, which represents state and tribal boxing commissions.

While trying to have the ruling overturned, Arum said he would set up a fight for Margarito in Mexico. Although other states will respect California's ruling, other countries won't necessarily adhere to it. Fighters banned in America have often found Mexico hospitable.

The ruling means that Margartio's proposed June rematch with Miguel Cotto, whom he knocked out last summer to win the title, is off unless the ruling is reversed.

"We'll figure out a fight for him in Mexico," Arum said. "It will be on one of our pay-per-view shows this summer. I think we'd have the opportunity to do 200,000 or 300,000 buys."

Mosley thought the punishment for Margarito was a little harsh, although he agreed with Capetillo's.

"I just think that Capetillo was the one wrapping his hands and knew what was going on," Mosley told ESPN.com. "He should be penalized. Margarito probably should not be as penalized. Capetillo was the one who did it. Margarito is the fighter and he just probably put his hands out there to be wrapped and ready to fight. Capetillo went to the rules meeting. He's the one who knew how to wrap the hands. He took it upon himself to make the wrap different. It should be mainly Capetillo who gets the brunt of everything."

Arum said he felt like the commission had already made up its mind before the hearing.

"Everyone in that room felt he would walk, but this pre-ordained. It was 7-0. That's impossible," he said. "If it was being it decided at that time they voted, maybe it's 5-2, 6-1. Not 7-0."

Margarito did receive support from Jorge Ramos, the mayor of his hometown of Tijuana, who extended an invitation to him to fight in the city "anytime."

"We welcome Antonio Margarito with open arms, and want him to know that when he is ready to fight again we want him to come to his hometown," Ramos said in a statement released by Top Rank. "He has been an exemplary athlete and has for many years represented the city of Tijuana with great pride and honor, so it is a natural for us to continue to support him in his career that should not be blemished by a commission that was not presented with evidence of any wrongdoing by our native son."
Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

SMH @ Mayorga. Just how much does this guy think he's worth?

eyes.gif
@ Angulo/Rivera. They should just go ahead and scrap that fight, stillgot a good card in Nate/Funeka & Cintron/Martinez.

Still haven't watched Arce/Darchinyan...i'm slackin'

Yep he is on the shelf for a while , but he will get reinstated .James Toney got suspended twice i believe for steroids . But I agree with Shane the Trainershould be punished not the fighter and the officer of the commission should have been more attentive seeing as they are standing right there watching the handsbeing wrapped . Well he will get a hometown tune up fight then he will either be fighting in Vegas or Texas .

the fighter knows just like the trainer what the hell is going on i dont buy into one should be suspended more then the other

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

laugh.gif
word on the street is that Rihanna suffered a beatdown similar to Arce and Margarito.

According to TMZ.com, unnamed law enforcement sources said Rihanna's contusions "look like an MMA [Mixed Martial Arts] fighter or something … [It] looked like she was growing devil's horns." The photos also reportedly show Rihanna with a split lip and a bloody nose.

eek.gif
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif

I'll %*@@@+% fight Chris Brown at a catch weight of 175 lbs
mad.gif

i just watched the demarco vs kid diamond. demarco got mad potential, hes extremely calm in the ring and he picked apart the kid late in the fight. dude needsto punch a lil more crisp and not be so tentative.

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [td]
box_ap_pacquiao_65.jpg

Manny Pacquiao

Lightweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Let's put the drama of the negotiations aside and recognize that Pacquiao once again will participate in the fight boxing fans want to see, a May 2 showdown with junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton. And if Pacquiao, the 2008 ESPN.com fighter of the year, wins, he will claim a title in his sixth division -- four of which will have been the lineal championship. If he pulls it off, it will be an amazing accomplishment. Misses: Once again, putting a Pacquiao fight together was filled with all sorts of unnecessary chaos. Pacquiao is the Drama King of boxing, but it's getting a little old. We prefer our drama inside the ring, not outside of it.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]
box_g_hokins3_65.jpg

Bernard Hopkins

Light heavyweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Although "The Executioner" turned 44 in January, he believes he still has a couple of fights left in him, and who are we to argue after seeing the masterpiece he authored in dominating middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik in an October upset? Misses: With the retirement of Joe Calzaghe, the recent loss by Roy Jones Jr., Jermain Taylor's involvement in another fight and Hopkins' saying he isn't interested in Chad Dawson, just who is there for Hopkins to fight in a big-time match?[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]3[/td] [td]
box_marquez_65.jpg

Juan Manuel Marquez

Lightweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: If you made a list of fights you wanted to see in 2009, a match between Marquez and Juan Diaz would probably be on it somewhere. And guess what? That's what we're going to get Feb. 28, when Marquez enters the lion's den of Diaz's hometown of Houston to defend the title. It's exactly the kind of fight that is great for boxing, so let's give Marquez credit for his willingness to put himself in harm's way. Misses: Don't blame Marquez, but there remains unfinished business between him and Pacquiao. So no matter who Pacquiao fights, and at what weight he fights, a third fight with Marquez needs to happen eventually.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]4[/td] [td]
box_a_mosley_65.jpg

Shane Mosley

Welterweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: At age 37, Mosley proved so many critics wrong when he not only beat the much younger and heavily favored Antonio Margarito, but dominated him from start to finish before knocking him out in the ninth round. Save for his first victory against Oscar De La Hoya in 2000, this was Mosley's finest hour in a prize ring. Misses: Although he's back on top of the mountain, there is no clear big fight out there for Mosley at the moment. Floyd Mayweather remains retired and Miguel Cotto, who defeated Mosley in '07, is looking at a different summer fight if he wins his Feb. 21 bout with Michael Jennings.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]5[/td] [td]
box_g_vasquez_65.jpg

Israel Vazquez

Junior featherweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Although Vazquez has been out of commission because of eye injuries suffered during his blazing trilogy against Rafael Marquez, there is talk that he could finally be ready to return to the ring around June. It will be great to see him back in action after a long layoff. Misses: This isn't a knock on Vazquez; it's a knock on the WBC, which stripped Vazquez of its version of the title simply because he is recovering from eye surgery and unable to fight for the time being (and, therefore, unable to generate sanction fees). That's an appalling and reprehensible way to thank a warrior who has done nothing but spill blood for the glory of that belt.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]6[/td] [td]
box_calderon_65.jpg

Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon

Junior flyweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: If there's a better little guy in the game, we're not sure who it is. Aside from his lack of power, Calderon is about as perfect a boxer as is active today. He must get additional credit because he's almost always smaller and less powerful than his opponents, yet he typically makes them look silly with the way he outboxes them so consistently. Misses: The bad cut he suffered in his August rematch with former champ Hugo Cazares cost him another fight in 2008.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]7[/td] [td]
box_cotto_weighin_65.jpg

Miguel Cotto

Welterweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: In the wake of Shane Mosley's beatdown of Antonio Margarito, doesn't Cotto's close -- but clear -- decision against Mosley look that much better? Misses: Although Cotto wants a rematch with Margarito (which was supposed to be on tap for June), it's out the window now that Margarito's license has been revoked for trying to load his gloves for his fight against Mosley in January.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8[/td] [td]
box_marquez_65.jpg

Rafael Marquez

Junior featherweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Although he has been out of action for 11 months since losing to Israel Vazquez in their epic third battle -- the 2008 ESPN.com fight of the year -- Vazquez is getting ready to return to work. Promoter Gary Shaw says his fighter will take a smaller fight in Mexico, probably in April. It will be good to have Marquez back. Misses: After the punishment he took in the three fights with Vazquez, and the long layoff, can he ever be the same?[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]9[/td] [td]
box_f_williams_65.jpg

Paul Williams

Interim junior middleweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: He couldn't find a big-time fight at welterweight or at junior middleweight. So what's an elite fighter to do? Move up to middleweight to face well-respected Winky Wright, who, coincidentally, once was the most avoided man in boxing -- the way Williams seems to be now. Misses: Despite the spin from Williams and his team about how great he is, they seem to forget the fact that he was easily beaten by Carlos Quintana a year ago.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]10[/td] [td]
box_g_pavlik_65.jpg

Kelly Pavlik

Middleweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Although he was soundly beaten by Bernard Hopkins at 170 pounds in October, Pavlik at least sounds as though he has done a good job of putting the loss behind him as he gears up for his title defense against Marco Antonio Rubio on Feb. 21. Misses: He didn't just get beaten by Hopkins. He got absolutely crushed for 12 lopsided rounds. That never goes away.[/td] [/tr][/table]

The next 10:

11. Jermain Taylor
12. Ricky Hatton
13. Chad Dawson
14. Vic Darchinyan
15. Nate Campbell
16. Arthur Abraham
17. Juan Diaz
18. Fernando Montiel
19. Celestino Caballero
20. Chris John

His P4P rankings are the only thing I have a problem with Rafael on, I never agree with them.

Vic pounds Mijares who was #8 on his list and then crushes Arce but is only #14?

John @ 20 is too low.

JT @ 11 is too high.

No one is perfect but those are obvious misses IMO.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Punisher crackin the top 10.....wow.

As much as you guys hate him, think Vic deserves a top 10 P4P spot.

Yup, Vic should def. be top 10 P4P.

I don't know about Pavlik being at #10. Maybe if he has an impressive win next week but right now there's other fighters who probably deserve thatslot more like Vic or Dawson.

Cotto speaks out on Margarito, had some good points I can respect him after his comment to the question if he thought Margarito used the substance in theirfight:

[h2]Cotto: Margarito gives sport 'black eye'[/h2]
Comment http://sendtofriend.espn....everywhere&id=3901282','sendtofriend','noresizable,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3901282#">Email Print
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Former welterweight champion Miguel Cotto doesn't believe Antonio Margarito should be allowed to fight anywhere after his boxing license was revoked by the California State Athletic Commission.

Margarito, who punished Cotto last summer to win the title, had his license taken away for one year Tuesday after illegal wraps were discovered on his hands before a loss last month to Shane Mosley. The commission's decision will likely be upheld in other states.

Margarito's trainer, Javier Capetillo, also lost his license for at least one year.

"I think if it's up to me, we should all abide by the rule that was made," Cotto said during a conference call Wednesday. "He was suspended for one year, he should be suspended everywhere. He has to abide by the rules and I think if he can't fight in the United States, he shouldn't be able to fight at all."

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who attended the hearing, called the ruling "an outrage" and has said Margarito will likely appeal. In the meantime, Arum said it's possible that Margarito could fight in Mexico, where decisions made in the United States are often not upheld.

"He has to make a living and he has a right to fight anyplace that will license him," Arum said Wednesday. "Mexico has indicated, or certain places in Mexico, have indicated they'll give him a license."

Arum promotes both fighters and had tentative plans to match them in another big-money fight later this summer. Unless Margarito wins his appeal, Cotto isn't interested.

"This is not a good thing for boxing. It gives boxing another black eye -- another incident boxing doesn't need," said Cotto (32-1, 26 KOs), who will fight unheralded Michael Jennings for the vacant WBO title on Feb. 21 at Madison Square Garden.

"You go into the ring thinking you're all playing by the same rules. This is sport, this isn't a slaughterhouse. This is about fighting at the best of your abilities," Cotto added, speaking through a translator. "We should all go in the ring and be ready to fight with what we have, our own abilities and our own preparation."

What does Arum think of the discord between two of his top fighters?

"Miguel is certainly entitled to his opinion," he said. "I have expressed my opinion. I don't say everybody has to agree with me."

A few minutes before Margarito (37-6, 27 KOs) entered the ring to fight Mosley on Jan. 24, his trainer Naazim Richardson objected to the way Margarito's hands were being wrapped. When the tape was cut off, a plaster-like substance was found nestled tightly inside the usual tape on the Mexican fighter's fists.

Mosley went on to dominate Margarito, stopping him in the ninth round to win the WBA version of the welterweight title.

"All I know is when everybody gets their hands wrapped, they know what's in them," Cotto said. "They know if there's something in their hand wraps or not. As a fighter, you know if there's something in there."

Cotto refused to speculate whether Margarito had a similar substance on his wraps when they fought last July, a close, bloody bout that ended in the 11th round when Cotto's corner threw in the towel.

"They're the only ones that can answer that question. I can't answer that," Cotto said. "All I can tell you is I choose to think he had a good night."

Back
Top Bottom