09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

I was just about to post that Mistadobalina , Rigondeaux is/was the absolute truth as an Am. Him and Lara got caught the first time they tried to defect andgot sent back but Lara got away a few months ago. the only guy you could argue was better on the Olympic team was Mario Kinderlan he won 3 golds and a gang ofworld championships , too bad he was too old to defect with the rest . But Rigondeaux is going to be a beast to watch

Oscar De La Hoya was too embarrassed to show his face in the weeks following the stunning beating he took from Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas. He has spent his time with his family, mostly in Puerto Rico, pondering what happened that strange night and what the future might hold.

Now, more than two months later, he is willing for the first time to talk publicly - and candidly - about his unusual weight issues leading up to the fight, the beating itself and his plans.

A bit overwhelmed by the decision he faces, he said he's leaning toward retirement but hasn't made up his mind.

De La Hoya said he knew he was in trouble from the opening bell and felt helpless in the seventh and penultimate round, when Pacquiao, too quick and too good, battered him so mercilessly that he had to grab the upper rope to remain upright.

At one point in the seventh, he said, he hoped Pacquiao would knock him out because "I felt like my hands were tied behind my back."

"That's where I thought, 'Go ahead (Manny) and land something strong and hard right on the button so you can knock me out and take me out of my misery.' That's how I felt at the moment."

Going into the fight, such a thing was unthinkable. De La Hoya, a future Hall of Famer who had never taken a bad beating in the ring, was deemed by most experts too big and strong for a fighter who started his career as a flyweight.

However, it became clear that something was amiss when he gained only two pounds between the weigh-in Friday and fight time the next night. Pacquiao at fight time actually outweighed De La Hoya, a one-time middleweight who was fighting at 147 pounds for the first time since 2001.

Most observers speculated that De La Hoya's high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet was the culprit. He was below 147 more than a month before the fight when typically a fighter weighs much more than the limit, tapers down as the fight approaches and then regains some weight after the weigh in.

De La Hoya, 36, remains baffled by the weight issues but said there were times, looking back, when he didn't eat as much as he should have and now wonders whether he consumed too much protein and not enough carbs.

He also likened himself to Roy Jones Jr. and Chris Byrd, two other aging fighters who tried to drop down in weight, were depleted come fight time and were unable to perform as they hoped they would.

"I just don't understand it," said De La Hoya, who refuses to blame fitness trainer Rob Garcia (as some have) or anyone else. "… I almost hit 141 a month before the fight. It was really mind boggling to me. Now, thinking about it, it obviously had something to do with (his performance).

"... I have to admit, I myself wanted to prove to a lot of people I could make the weight, that I could be very light and still feel good and strong. There were times obviously you don't want to eat all your food and want to make sure you come in light the next day and impress your trainer, this and that. I mean, you know, obviously there's no one to blame. I think everyone knows, if you were following this whole story they know I did come in too light. And that was a mistake on my part.

"A fighter should only make weight those five minutes when you're on the scale the night before the fight," he continued. "That's the advantage I gave away, obviously the strength and size. I should've just made the weight in those two minutes I have to be on the scale and then do my bulking up of six or seven pounds."

Still, De La Hoya said he felt fine physically when he stepped into the ring. It was after the opening bell, when the fighters started throwing punches and "I felt like I was walking in quicksand," that he knew it could be a long night.

He said he has watched a tape of the fight more than a dozen times and still can't believe he was so outclassed.

"Once the (opening) bell rang, I believe I threw a left hook to his body," he said. "He made a noise like it really hurt. After that, he was wide open, he was there for me and I didn't do anything. Right there it started feeling like, 'Wow, this doesn't feel the same. I don't feel like myself.' And obviously, when he started landing punches at will, something in my mind happened as if I said to myself, 'You know what? It's just not going to happen.' I felt as if he could just land anything and I couldn't do anything about it.

"I just didn't care. I didn't care if he was hitting me because I couldn't do anything about it. Luckily he doesn't hit hard. Obviously, if he would've hit hard, he would have knocked me out with no problem."

The seventh round was the most dramatic. Pacquiao landed at will the entire fight but raised his level of intensity that round, battering the proud six-weight-class world titleholder against the ropes as the crowd sat stunned.

That's when De La Hoya grabbed the rope and wished to himself that Pacquiao would finish the job.

"I couldn't' throw (punches) back, I just couldn't throw back," he said. "In my mind I can see these openings. Manny Pacquiao is there for the taking but I just couldn't throw back. I don't know, (Pacquiao's trainer) Freddie Roach I'm sure had a crystal ball when he said Oscar can't pull the trigger any more. I guess he was right."

After the eighth round, in which De La Hoya continued to take punishment, it became obvious that he had a decision to make: Do I continue to take a beating in front of a sell-out crowd and millions of viewers on television or do what no fighter ever wants to do: quit.

De La Hoya's decision? He didn't make one.

"I was sitting in my corner," he said. "The fighter always wants to continue; that's the bottom line. A fighter is always proud. I had by brother. I could hear my wife Millie. I can see (Golden Boy Promotions CEO) Richard (Schaefer) with a white towel in my corner I guess ready to throw it in. After seeing all that, I was just irresponsive. When the referee was telling me, telling my corner, 'Can you continue? Can you continue?' I was irresponsive. I was leaving it up to the corner. I guess it was my brother's, everybody's actions, the referee said, 'OK, enough is enough.'

"So that moment I was just frozen. If they would've told me to continue, I would've continued. And I'll continue to take my beating."

De La Hoya had said repeatedly beforehand that "I HAVE to win this fight," implying that to do otherwise against such a naturally small man - even one with incredible talent - would be humiliating.

As we know, that's exactly what happened. He had withstood the strength and fury of such opponents as Ike Quartey, Shane Mosley and Fernando Vargas but was rendered helpless by a man who had fought at 130 pounds only two fights earlier.

And it happened in front of the world. After the opening bell and before the fight ended, he had no place to hide.

"It was devastating," he said. "I'm over it now, but I was devastated. I was embarrassed. The embarrassment was the worst part. It was hard for me the first couple of weeks to show my face anywhere. I just didn't know how people were going to react to me. When you start getting people, random people in the street or playing golf somewhere, and they're telling me, 'Hey champ, you're still the champ. One fight isn't going to make you or break you.' It's like, 'Wow.' It makes you feel good. It doesn't erase everything that happened that night but it gives you back your dignity somewhat.

" … I kept reminding myself how the great fighters ended up taking a beating at the end of their careers. For some reason, that kind of helped, like Sugar Ray Leonard and Muhammad Ali and even Mike Tyson. I started thinking to myself, 'Well, maybe you can squeeze yourself into a great group of fighters like that. And if they went out that way, I don't think it's that bad for you. You might as well keep your head up. And I'm sure people will remember what you accomplished and what you've done.'"

Now what?

De La Hoya said most of those closest to him are urging him to retire. Others, including his father, Joel Sr., are insisting that he wasn't himself that night and should continue fighting at a heavier weight.

He said he's leaning toward retirement but goes back and forth.

"It's been very confusing these past few weeks and these couple of months that've passed by," he said. "It's been very confusing. I haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer. I'm still not set on what I want to do. It's difficult to realize that, on one hand, my career can be over and, on the other, if I wanted to, I can still fight. It's tough. I'm not convinced yet what I want to do. … If it's not for the money, then I do understand fighters doing it for the love of the game and for the passion of it because that's what I'm feeling now. I love boxing, although I'm in a different position because I do have something to fall back on, I do have something to keep me busy and involved in boxing. I'm talking about Golden Boy Promotions. It's a relationship I've been in since I was 5 years old and it's hard to break away from. … I'm going to continue to think about it and hope that one day I'm going to wake up and have that answer. And I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. ...

"Obviously, my last fight with Manny proved a lot and did a lot of convincing to me that maybe I turned old over night. I never would've thought something like that would've happened to me. But I think that was an indication. ... I'm leaning toward retirement because those closest to me are urging me and telling me t," he continued. "But then you have all the other questions you have to answer. I mean you get all these other responses from other people and you look at what Mosley did. And you look at what (Bernard) Hopkins has done. And you look at Pacquiao's style. And you think about, 'What if you fight a guy like Margarito, who's going to be right in front of me and easy to hit.' It's a lot to think about. And it's funny because once I think I have that final decision something else comes up. 'Well, what if this? What if that?'

"There's a lot to think about."

what a @*%+** !!$ BUM
tired.gif

Well my father ordered the PPV because some people came over to the house and i told him how this ppv is NOT worth the money, but nonetheless it was stillordered.
smh.gif

This whole PPV was so one sided John Duddy is so overrated gets hit too often and i just hoped Matt Vanda would've done what he did in the last roundthroughout the whole fight it was such a dull fight.

i don't get how people say Cotto is back he fought Jennings who did absolutely nothing he kept on back peddling and even though his record showed he wasgood he had no chance at winning. Jennings was not a reputable boxer so this was just a ploy to make Cotto seem on top again. i think Cotto will fight Clotteynext and that fight will prove so much more than the Jennings fight as to whether he is back. Sure Cotto looked great, but that was due to how horribleJennings looked.

Kelly Pavlik fought a no show Rubio he did nothing as well, and i wasn't expecting anything out of this fight either. Rubio was a standing target forPavlik and they purposely matched him against Rubio to make Pavlik look good unlike matching Pavlik against a boxer similar to the fighting style of BernardHopkins.

I can't wait until this saturday but i believe JMM will win a decision vs Juan Diaz.

Yo mike don't ever post nothin fight related about that bum no %+%*!@ more

sick.gif

"I wished he would land somethin to take me out my misery"

smh.gif
%+%*!@ bum.

Oscar can only blame himself at this point becuase there isnt enough room under the bus anymore. Please go away, and dont come back.

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Isn't Oscar good for our sport? He generates the most money and is arguably the era's most recognizablefighter. IMO, he does not have the skills from the late 90's and early 00's, but his name keeps Boxing on Sportscenter and people will buy his PPV.

Just my 2 cents.

You know what, I'm glad he voiced that and got that out tho
Cus that gives us a glimpse into what his mind goes thru when the %%%% hits the fan.
Like 99% of championship boxers in trouble, think, I gotta land this huge punch to get this %%!*@ off my %$@.
This peach fuzz piece of {()} thinks of getting himself knocked out.

This guy is a mental weakling

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

You know what, I'm glad he voiced that and got that out tho
Cus that gives us a glimpse into what his mind goes thru when the %%%% hits the fan.
Like 99% of championship boxers in trouble, think, I gotta land this huge punch to get this %%!*@ off my %$@.
This peach fuzz piece of {()} thinks of getting himself knocked out.

This guy is a mental weakling

Exactly^

I've never met any respectable athlete who would say something like 'i just wished he would knock me out and take me out of mymisery'...ESPECIALLY for a prize fighter, thats just awful...

In anything in life, how can you respect someone with that attitude, and why would u even admit to something like that? Not that I had much respect for himin the first place, but I don't think I'll ever look at De La Hoya the same again, what a disgrace

Originally Posted by Mistadobalina

great news! another cuban olympic gold medalist (the best of them all, in fact) has defected. guillermo rigondeaux has signed with arena box, and is now gonna join his comrades gamboa, solis, and that one other dude (lol) in a run for some titles.

eek.gif

Rigondeaux got out?!?!?! Dude was SUPER nice in the am's. When Solis, Lara, and Gamboa all defected at roughly the same time, Rigondeaux was the one thatall the experts were saying was gonna be the best and it wasn't close. I've read on other forums where dudes who were up on the amateur knowledge weresaying that Rigondeaux would have changed the sport if he defected. I'm super hype now. I wonder what he's gonna campaign at in the pros. He wasapparently killing himself to make 119 on the same day weigh-in before he defected the first time. I'd say he probably starts at 122 for about 8-10fights, try to get a quick title shot ala DLH, and then move up to 126 thereafter. Rigondeaux is like 27 or 28 now so they'll surely be moving himlightning fast.

Couple of clips for folks who never saw him

- 19 year old cuban GuillermoRigondeaux makes his Olympic debut at the 2000 Sydney Olympics with a spectacular first round stoppage over tunisian Moez Zemzemi.

- 2006 World Cup Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Ali Aliyev2nd round KO.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...VFrL8&feature=related - Some wierdtrailer thing with some nice clips of Guillermo in action.

Pavlik-Abraham talk more smoke than fire?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 | Print Entry

Hard-core fans have wanted to see middleweight world champion Kelly Pavlik face titleholder Arthur Abraham of Germany for quite some time now, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Both sides talk about trying to make the fight, but I've been down this road before with other fights and I'm not buying it just yet.

Pavlik got back to his winning ways Saturday night with a solid, if unspectacular, ninth-round TKO of mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio. It was a wonderful event for Pavlik's hometown of Youngstown, Ohio, where the mood was festive at the sold-out Chevrolet Centre. It came across incredibly well on television, as the fans were into it all the way despite the fact it wasn't a particularly memorable fight.

What was important was that Pavlik took care of business, shaking off his nontitle loss to Bernard Hopkins in October, and the fans seemed to love it.

Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, Abraham is preparing for his next defense, on March 14 in Germany against Lajuan Simon, a fighter from Philadelphia who is getting a title shot for a reason I have yet to determine.

Ideally, Abraham will win and come back to the United States this summer -- he was here last summer to bludgeon Edison Miranda in their rematch -- to face Pavlik in the best fight the middleweight division has to offer. It's the best fight that can be made at middleweight, by far.

If only it were that simple.

Pavlik promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank told me the other day that he's planning for Pavlik's next defense in late June or July in Cleveland, which is about an hour from Youngstown. It's an ideal spot for Pavlik to fight because of its proximity to his hometown and the fact that there are larger arenas, more people and more money there than in Youngstown.

Abraham is conspicuously absent from the list of potential opponents. The opponents Arum listed for me were, in no particular order, junior middleweight titleholder Vernon Forrest, an older fighter who's still good but doesn't exactly get anyone overly excited; former junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora, who is 1-1 against Forrest and whose promoter, Jeff Wald of Tournament of Contenders, has already had preliminary talks with Arum; John Duddy, the popular New York-based Irish fighter; and Felix Sturm, the other titleholder from Germany, who is not nearly as dangerous as Abraham. Arum said Sturm was a long shot because he's fighting April 25 and the timing would be difficult.

But there was scarcely a mention of Abraham from Arum until I pressed him on it. Arum said he'd like Pavlik to fight three more times this year: the summer fight, followed by a September bout, followed by one in December. Sounds great, but I'm very skeptical. When was the last time a top champion fought four times in one year?

However, if Arum pulls it off, he said maybe Abraham could be the last bout of the year. Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Arum said that to make the Abraham fight viable, he needs to be built up a bit in America to maximize the revenue for the fight. But I have a hard time seeing HBO or Showtime investing in building up the fight when, in my opinion, it won't be that much bigger at the end of the year than it is right now -- especially because the landscape of legitimate middleweight opponents for either guy to fight in the interim is so weak.

Arum said he was "prepared" to put Abraham on a Pavlik undercard to at least start the ball rolling. Great idea, but again, I'll believe it when I see it.

"I'd like the Abraham people [at Sauerland Event] to come and sit with me and have a serious conversation. This is not the kind of negotiation you do over the telephone," Arum said, adding that the excellent relationship that his stepson, Top Rank president Todd duBoef, has with Sauerland Event's Chris Meyer could help in making the fight. "But they want $2 million, plus German television rights. What's Kelly supposed to do? Not fight for anything? What am I supposed to do? Do an event for nothing? I need the guys to sit down with me and we'll talk about it. To make it the big event it can be, you have to build up Abraham here."

From what I understand via other sources, Abraham's side is willing to take a lot less than $2 million, but me telling that to Arum is pointless. He needs to talk with the Sauerland Event folks who promote Abraham.

Sauerland Event, meanwhile, insists it would love a showdown with Pavlik and would be willing to travel to the U.S. to make it happen.

"Last spring we picked up negotiations with Top Rank," Wilfried Sauerland said. "We have also been in constant touch with HBO and Showtime. However, in the last couple of months, Top Rank seemed to have lost their interest in a unification. Bob Arum once said that from a sporting perspective Arthur would be Pavlik's most important opponent, but that his fighter also has to think about earning money. Obviously, Arum shares the view of many experts who all believe that Pavlik would lose against Arthur."

When I was in New York last weekend to cover the Miguel Cotto-Michael Jennings welterweight title bout, I ran into Don Majeski, an old-school boxing guy who works closely with Sauerland.

Majeski said that Abraham and his team were ready, willing and able to come to the U.S. after the Simon bout. He said Abraham and Sauerland agreed with Arum that Abraham needed to be built up in the minds of the American public before facing Pavlik. Majeski said Abraham was willing to fight anyone the network wanted in an interim bout. I asked him if Abraham would take on the winner of the Paul Williams-Winky Wright fight, and Majeski couldn't say "yes" fast enough.

"We are ready to fight Pavlik at any time and absolutely everywhere," Sauerland said. "Arthur would even come to his hometown. If Pavlik and his people are really interested in coming to Germany, they should let us know officially. We would be more than happy to make an attractive offer."

Abraham himself is also in on the act, trying to lure Pavlik into the ring. "The only reason why I am still fighting at middleweight is Kelly Pavlik," Abraham said. "I want his belts."

Both sides, at least publicly, say they are interested in the fight. But are they really? I believe the athletes themselves would like to face each other, but I have serious doubts when it comes to their teams. It is a fight, however, that should happen before it's too late.

So maybe instead of Arum and Sauerland talking to the media and networks about the fight and blowing a lot of smoke, perhaps they ought to speak directly to each other and create a little fire.

That's the only way the fight will ever happen.

box_g_delahoya1_576.jpg
Jewel Samada/AFP/Getty ImagesA rare thing: De La Hoya lands a punch against Manny Pacquiao in their recent fight.

Pardon Oscar De La Hoya if he just doesn't know what to do. The 10-time titleholder across six weight divisions is really struggling right now.

Should he stay?

Or should he go?

It has been three months since he took the beating of his life, an eighth-round TKO loss to Manny Pacquiao in which the favored De La Hoya was not at all competitive against a smaller man. After the eighth round, his face swollen and his spirit broken, De La Hoya retired on his stool, and many wondered whether it would be the last time they saw him box.

Since a postfight interview with HBO's Larry Merchant in the ring following the bout, De La Hoya has kept a low profile. He didn't attend the news conference after the fight because he was at the hospital, and he came out of his cocoon only briefly in January to help promote a mixed martial arts event with which his company, Golden Boy Promotions, was involved.

Now, De La Hoya is talking again, but he still has no good answers about what he intends to do.

"I'm just not sure if I will fight or I will retire," De La Hoya told ESPN.com in a 40-minute telephone interview. "I am still caught in that. I am still trying to answer that question. It's still confusing.

"One side of me tells me that was not me up in there in that ring when I fought Pacquiao. Another side says, 'Well, Pacquiao beat you, and it's over; you don't have it anymore.' Everywhere I go, people ask when I will fight again. Then some people say, 'Hey, Oscar, you were great, but it's time to hang 'em up. Why keep on getting hurt?' But I am not basing my decision on what people are telling me, including my family. It's going to be based on what I think, and I am still confused."
"
box_g_delahoya_65.jpg
I felt embarrassed. We sometimes order take-out for dinner, and they would bring it to our house and I was embarrassed to answer the door and sign for the check because I didn't want to see anyone.
" -- Oscar De La Hoya on his reaction to his defeat by Manny Pacquiao

De La Hoya (39-6, 30 KOs), who turned 36 on Feb. 4, has listened to input from his family -- his wife, Millie, and brother Joel Jr., in particular. He also has kept to himself while playing a lot of golf at a country club near his home in Puerto Rico.

Mainly, he has been relaxing and contemplating his future after the loss to Pacquiao, a defeat that dropped De La Hoya to 3-4 in his past seven bouts, including two losses by knockout.

"I've gained a couple of pounds and played a lot of golf," he said. "I'm just spending a lot of time in Puerto Rico with my wife and kids, relaxing and playing golf three or four times a week."

De La Hoya said that even on the golf course, however, thoughts about his boxing future permeate his mind.

"I've had a lot of time to think about it, and it's becoming a burden," he said. "I'll be standing over the ball putting for eagle, and I'm thinking about retirement and I miss the putt."

De La Hoya said the loss severely bruised his ego. He said he didn't want to leave the house and didn't want to see anyone for weeks.

"I have to be honest with you," he said. "I felt embarrassed. We sometimes order take-out for dinner, and they would bring it to our house and I was embarrassed to answer the door and sign for the check because I didn't want to see anyone. I was embarrassed. I let everybody down."

De La Hoya said that immediately after the fight with Pacquiao, he returned to the dressing room, and among the people there were his wife and brother.

"Right when we got to the dressing room, Millie gave me this hard look and said, 'I think that's it.' But after a few weeks, she told me, 'It's your decision; you do what you want to do.' But it's difficult because I know she wants me to retire. My brother said I should hang 'em up. He has never said that before, and he's been there from day one. It's so confusing, so I'm going to take it slowly. What I really hope is that one day I will wake up and know that I should either fight or retire. If I do decide to fight, I hope it's sooner than later, because I'm 36 and I'm not getting any younger."

De La Hoya admitted he isn't the same fighter he was in his heyday, when some even listed him as boxing's No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the late 1990s.

He said he began feeling his age in the second half of his May 2007 junior middleweight title fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr., who won the fight on a split decision to claim De La Hoya's belt.

"I had a hunch and a feeling in the second half of the Mayweather fight that I was slipping," De La Hoya said. "Physically, I felt it."

box_g_delahoya_mayweather1_300.jpg

Gabriel Bouys/AFP/Getty ImagesDe La Hoya himself speculates that his May 2007 fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. might have been the beginning of the end.

In his next fight, in May 2008, De La Hoya easily outpointed Steve Forbes at 150 pounds. It was a lopsided victory, but De La Hoya emerged with a broken bone in his face, bruises and a swollen eye. That the damage was inflicted by the light-hitting Forbes, who was 10 pounds heavier than his normal fighting weight, alarmed De La Hoya.

"With the Stevie Forbes fight, there was a fighter I should have knocked out, even though he's not an easy fighter to knock out," De La Hoya said. "I did hit him with a lot of hard shots, but look how I came out? Marked up and bruised. That was another sign of the wear and tear on my body and that I am not the same fighter I was. Then you go into the Pacquiao fight, and that should be the nail in the coffin. But then you take everything into consideration, and I look at what [Golden Boy partners] Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins did [at advanced ages]. And I look at Pacquiao being a southpaw, and you think that styles make fights, and if he was a righty, maybe it would have been different.

"I'm just very confused. I am really confused. Now I know why it's so difficult for a fighter to retire. I'm in this position right now where it's not about money. I have money. It's love for the game, love for the sport, the passion I have for it. But when I make my decision, it's going to be a firm one."

Many times in recent years, De La Hoya has said he will not be a fighter who retires and unretires, which is so common in the sport.

"I don't want to retire and come back," he said. "I don't think there's any need for it. Once I make my decision, that's it. That's why it's taking so long. I want it to be 100 percent. I hope one day I wake up out of bed and know what to do."

De La Hoya said he still is trying to figure out what went so wrong against Pacquiao. He said the fact that the bout was so lopsided was a shock to him.

"Manny beat me hands down," he said. "I give him full credit, 100 percent. He took care of business; he did his job."

De La Hoya also had kind words for Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer and De La Hoya's former trainer, with whom he traded sometimes nasty rhetoric throughout the promotion. He also praised his own trainer, Nacho Beristain.

"Freddie Roach did a magnificent job in having the game plan to beat me," De La Hoya said.

As for Beristain, De La Hoya's third trainer in three fights, he said he didn't blame him in any way for the defeat.

"No, not at all. Nacho is an amazing, incredible trainer," De La Hoya said. "He did his job, and everyone in the camp did their job. I take nothing away from Nacho. He knew how to strategize. He got me in great shape. If I had the choice to pick him again if I was going to fight, I would pick him again."

The one thing De La Hoya does point to as a way to mitigate the loss to Pacquiao is his weight. The limit for the fight was 147 pounds, yet De La Hoya weighed 145 and put on barely any weight in the more than 24 hours between the weigh-in and the fight. Pacquiao had started his career at 106 pounds, was coming up from the 135-pound lightweight limit and weighed 142 officially, but he actually was heavier than De La Hoya when they stepped into the ring.

[+] Enlarge
Jeffrey Ufberg/Getty ImagesAs the president of Golden Boy Promotions, De La Hoya might find the transition from ring to retirement easier than it has been for others.

"I feel my weight was too low. It was mind-boggling," said De La Hoya, who boasted that he was virtually on weight for weeks before the fight. "I gave away one of my advantages, which was being the bigger guy. It's not an excuse. I lost the fight, and he beat me easily. But those are questions I am asking myself. What if I had just made the weight for the few minutes you are on the scale? Why did I change my plan? It was nobody's plan or strategy to be that low. I was eating good, but I wasn't gaining weight. I treated this fight differently, I think. I think deep down inside, I was thinking, 'If I fight this fight at 147 and my body has felt good, I can get even lower and I will feel even faster and keep my strength.' But I felt like I was walking in quicksand in the ring. I had no strength. It was odd.

"I've been fighting since I was 5 years old, and I had tons of amateur fights and I have been in training most of my life. I think that had something to do with it. It's like they say in boxing: Sometimes you turn old overnight. It could be that. I refuse to accept that, but maybe that's what happened. I just have to come to realize it. That's why the decision is so hard to make. Maybe I have to accept that I turned old overnight. But us fighters are very stubborn. Sometimes we don't want to accept it."

De La Hoya will make his first boxing public appearance Saturday night in Houston, where Golden Boy is promoting the Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz lightweight championship fight.

He said his work on the promotional end of things might make it easier for him to retire.

"I think it will be easier for me to retire because I have something to fall back on with a successful company," he said. "Boxing to me is my life, and at Golden Boy Promotions, we haven't even scratched the surface. That's what makes it exciting for me. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can start gearing up to really work and push Golden Boy and our fighters as far as we can."

But first he has to make his decision -- no easy task, because he still is haunted by the Pacquiao fight, a match in which he believes he didn't land a single significant blow.

"I had nothing," De La Hoya said. "Not even a jab. But I was never hurt. It was more me being frustrated. He was throwing a lot of punches, and I was in retreat trying to get away from them. But it was like he was hitting a piñata."

De La Hoya then described his feeling of being able to see all sorts of openings against Pacquiao but being unable to release his punches.

In boxing parlance, that's the definition of a shot fighter.

"That's probably what I am," De La Hoya said in a stark admission. "I have to figure this out. I'm leaning toward retirement more so than fighting."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com

and i was a fan of this %+%%* bum %%$ #!$@%
sick.gif
tired.gif

Yo mike mannn
If it aint about his promotion company. Don't paste no more BS about that walking Vagina

Joshua Clottey: "Miguel Cotto Won't Last Twelve Rounds"

IBF welterweight champion Joshua Clottey is planning to go war if WBO champ Miguel Cotto agrees to fight him on June 13 at New York's Madison Square Garden. Clottey, along with Kermit Cintron and WBC champ Andre Berto, are the three fighters in the running to fight Cotto in June. Speaking with Jose Aguirre, Clottey thought Cotto gave a good account of himself last Saturday when he stopped Michael Jennings in five rounds. But, Clottey says the win was easy because Jennings had no intention of fighting, and ran until Cotto caught up with him.

"He did good, but he fought a nobody. Michael Jennings is a nobody. Cotto looked good, but he's going to need a good defense if he fights with me or Shane Mosley. I have to fight with Cotto. To make a good fight, me and Cotto would be the best. Cotto and Cintron is not good. They have to try me and see what I can do. I deserve that shot because we have to unify the belts and we are under the same promotional company," Clottey said.

"There are three fighters Me, Shane Mosley and Cotto. Cotto and Mosley won't happen so I have to be next." Clottey was supposed to fight Cintron on the Cotto-Jennings undercard, but Cintron took more money to move up in weight for a fight with Sergio Martinez. Clottey doesn't believe it was money that motivated Cintron's decision.

"They are scared to fight me. They don't want to go to ring and fight me. They keep giving excuses. I'm number four in the world. I'm surprised they don't want to fight me. This is boxing and the best fight the best. Kermit Cintron is a p*ssy
laugh.gif
. He don't want to fight me. He keeps running away. I chased him out of 147 and into 154 - that's unbelievable," Clottey said.

Clottey tells BoxingScene that a fight with Cotto will not go the distance. He plans to jump on Cotto early and put him away before the final bell. "A fight with Cotto is not going to last the full twelve rounds. I promise you because I'm going to jump on him and hit him like crazy. I'm not going to stand there and do nothing. I'm not going to put on running shoes like Michael Jennings. I don't put on running shoes, I put on boxing shoes and you always have to stand and fight. I'm going to fight him and he's going to run and he's not going to beat me - no way. I will stop him if they give me the chance. I am 100% sure," Clottey said.

I would like to see Cotto fight Clottey or Berto but not Cintron.

hypothetically..
if cotto fights clottey next, does shane fight berto? what other big names are out there for shane, besides pbf and pacman?

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

hypothetically..
if cotto fights clottey next, does shane fight berto? what other big names are out there for shane, besides pbf and pacman?

I read somewhere that Zab/Quintana are close to a deal to fight...ideally that'd be the next step for berto to fight that winner...I don't see themthrowing Berto to Sugar roid...I think at his age Shane should wait it out and get the winner of Clottey/Cotto...if he'd fight Cotto in NY we'd seethat next.

MELLIGEN FACES MEXICAN ON MARCH 7

By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2009

melligen.with.floyd.220w.jpg

ALA fighter Mark Jason Melligen is set to see action for the first time in the United States as he takes on Mexican Jose Montano on March 7 in Denver, Colorado.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Melligen, who now trains at the Roger Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas under Tony Martin, has been working extra hard at the gym in preparation for the fight, and is set to return to the country after the bout.

Melligen worked out at the gym yesterday in Las Vegas, and among those who watched him perform was former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr and ex-world champ Cornelius Boza Edwards.

Tony Martin, in an email to Melligen's chief handler Antonio L. Aldeguer, reported that Mayweather Jr noticed Melligen's talent, and was reportedly overheard telling people that the Filipino fighter "is good."

Martin, who has been patiently assisting and taking care of Melligen in his stay in Las Vegas for almost three months now, believes that the Filipino fighter has what it takes to win convincingly in his first fight under the Top Rank banner.

Top photo: Mark Jason Melligen (L) poses with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. at Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas Wednesday.

melligen.at.mayweather.gym.400w.jpg

Melligen (2nd from left) spars at the Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas Wednesday as former world champion Cornelius Boza Edwards (R), Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (2nd from right) and Tony Martin (partly hidden) look on.
just wanted to share this.. thats my boy and former sparring partner right there next to PBF
pimp.gif
He was suppose to fight Victor Ortiz during the Pac/DLH undercard but we allagreed he was too green. He's getting good exposure now under Roger Mayweather

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Champions Marquez, John take to the road[/h1]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 27, 2009, 11:02 AM ET

box_e_marquez2_576.jpg

AP Photo/Eric Jamison

Road warriors: Chris John and Juan Manuel Marquez, left, step into enemy territory to face Rocky Juarez and Juan Diaz on Saturday.
[h3]Champions embrace road games[/h3]
HOUSTON -- Sports teams battle throughout their seasons not only to make it to the postseason, but also to secure home-field advantage. In any sport, it's viewed as a significant benefit. The fans are on your side, the setting is familiar, and sometimes a close call just might go your way.

It's no different in boxing, where champions usually dictate the site of a fight. But on Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET) a pair of them will enter the lion's den of the Toyota Center to defend their crowns against two Houston native sons, knowing how cruel the results can be when you're on enemy turf.

Although lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez (49-4-1, 36 KOs) will have many Mexican fans cheering him on in the highly anticipated main event, the expected sellout crowd of about 15,000 undoubtedly will be cheering louder for former titleholder Juan Diaz (34-1, 17 KOs), who has aspirations to one day be Houston's mayor.

And featherweight titleholder Chris John (42-0-1, 22 KOs), making his American debut, has made the long trip from Indonesia to defend his title for the 11th time in the hometown of challenger Rocky Juarez (28-4, 20 KOs).

Both titleholders understand the difficulties of the task at hand as much as the challengers relish the opportunity to win in front of family and friends.

Marquez claimed the title in his 135-pound debut in September by knocking out Joel Casamayor in the 11th round, but instead of a victory-lap first defense, he agreed to face Diaz, the most difficult opponent available -- and to fight in Diaz's hometown.

box_diaz_200.jpg

Courtesy HBO Sports

By fighting at home in Houston, challenger Juan Diaz will have an advantage against Juan Manuel Marquez.

An old pro at 35, Marquez, who has won titles in three divisions, said he feels comfortable fighting in Diaz's backyard.

"This is like every fight," he said. "I always prepare very well and this isn't an exception. I feel calm and have no worries whatsoever. Part of the deal is I would take the fight in Houston as long as we had neutral officials and my promoter, Golden Boy, did its job. I am satisfied with the judges as long as they score what they see in the ring."

Said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who also promotes Diaz and Juarez: "When we made the fight, it was important for us that there is fair and proper judging. We talked to the commission about it to make sure it was even for both guys. There are a tremendous amount of Mexican fans which I know have purchased tickets and are coming from Mexico, where Marquez is undoubtedly the No. 1 fighter."

Marquez does have a bitter experience of traveling to his opponent's hometown, one he says he's learned from.

In March 2006, when Marquez was a featherweight, he went to Indonesia to face John in a title bout and lost a decision that many viewed as a hometown gift for John.

"One of the most important things is to be strong mentally. That's what I learned from that experience. I learned a lot," said Marquez, who would like a third bout with Manny Pacquiao but could also find himself in a rematch with John. "Be strong mentally, be strong physically and win convincingly and score convincingly."

box_a_marquez1_sw_300.jpg

AP Photo

Juan Manuel Marquez, left, knows a thing or two about hometown decisions.

This will be the second fight in row for Diaz, 25, at home and the 13th fight of his career in Texas. So while he has often had the comforts of home when he fights, he respects Marquez for coming to his town.

"He's a man on a mission," Diaz said. "Obviously, we all know how unhappy he was from his two fights with Pacquiao [a disputed draw and split decision]. It looks like he doesn't care about where and who he fights. It shows me a lot because he's a great fighter and I respect him a lot for coming here to Houston and fighting me. Obviously, he knows he has a challenge in front of him. He knows it will be a tough fight and I respect him for coming here and fighting me."

By the same token, Diaz is the kind of fighter who embraces fighting at home rather than feeling pressure because of it.

"I definitely embrace it. Fighting here in Houston, I feel comfortable," he said. "It's where I've been training. I don't have to go anywhere. I love it because I know the fans will be behind me and pushing me. If I get into some tough rounds and the crowd starts to chant my name it will push me to go forward and not lose the fight."

Said Ronnie Shields, who trains Diaz and Juarez, "We are confident that Diaz can and will pull out the win here in Houston. Marquez has been around for a long time and fought the best. We are happy he is not ducking Diaz and he is going to come here to fight in Houston in our hometown. We realize that just because we are in our hometown, we don't get any special treatment and Juan knows he has to be prepared."

John has fought mainly in Indonesia, although has gone on the road to Australia and Japan for title defenses. He's wanted to come to America for a big fight for the past few years and when the opportunity to face Juarez presented itself, he embraced it. So excited to be in America to fight -- regardless of if it is in Juarez's hometown -- that he has been in Houston for about a month on his own dime training and getting used to his surroundings.

"I have had good preparation and I believe everything will be fair," John said. "It doesn't matter where I fight. I am pleased to be in America to show the fans here that I am a good fighter."

Juarez will be fighting for a world title for the fifth time, having previously lost a featherweight title bout to Humberto Soto and three junior lightweight title bouts [one to Marquez and two to Marco Antonio Barrera].

Juarez knows this may his last shot at a world title and, like Diaz, he is happy to be at home.

"I'm motivated because I'm fighting for a world title, but being at home is even greater motivation," said Juarez, noting that he turned down more money to challenge titleholder Steven Luevano on neutral ground in Puerto Rico in April to instead face John in Houston. "Winning a title here in Houston is always something I've dreamed of, but when we're fighting I won't be thinking about where we are fighting. I'll just be trying to win."
[h3]Rodriguez relieved[/h3]
When welterweight Oscar Diaz was released from a San Antonio hospital this week seven months after suffering a brain injury during an 11th-round TKO loss to Delvin Rodriguez in an ESPN2-televised fight, the boxing word breathed a sigh of relief. Diaz, 26, spent two months in a coma after the injury and has finally been released to a rehabilitation facility, where his doctor believes that in time Diaz will be able to walk and talk again.

box_f_rodriguez_300.jpg

Emily Harney/Fightwireimages.com

Delvin Rodriguez can breathe a sigh of relief now that Oscar Diaz is out of the hospital.

Nobody was more relieved by the news than Rodriguez, who has kept tabs on Diaz since their fight.

"There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about Oscar," Rodriguez said. "He is a great boxer and more importantly a great human being. I will always keep Oscar and his family in my thoughts and prayers."

Rodriguez, who fought to a draw with Isaac Hlatshwayo in South Africa in a welterweight title eliminator in November, will have his second fight since Diaz's injury on March 6. Rodriguez headlines on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" against Shamone Alvarez in a title eliminator at the Mohegan Sun resort in Connecticut.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

52 comments on "Champions Marquez, John take to the road"

[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]
box_a_dawson_65.jpg

Dawson

• The Chad Dawson-Antonio Tarver light heavyweight title rematch has been rescheduled for May 9 (HBO) at the Hard Rock resort in Las Vegas, promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com. They were supposed to meet March 14, but Dawson, who outpointed Tarver in October, injured his right hand training Feb. 17. "Chad's hand is progressing as the doctor thought it would and he will be begin training again next week. It's very good news," Shaw said.

box_f_arreola01_65.jpg

Arreola

• Heavyweight contender Cris Arreola (26-0, 23 KOs) will open the April 11 Paul Williams-Winky Wright HBO card at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, promoter Dan Goossen told ESPN.com. Arreola had been a possible opponent for heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko in June, but Goossen said talks with the Klitschko camp have ended. While Klitschko continues to iron out a deal with his first choice, David Haye, Arreola likely will face Jameel McCline, who has challenged for versions of the title four times. Goossen wouldn't confirm McCline (39-9-3, 23 KOs) as the opponent, but McCline has accepted the fight and been approved by HBO, a McCline camp member told ESPN.com. HBO previously rejected Hasim Rahman and Donnell Holmes and would have accepted Michael Grant, but he passed on the fight.

box_g_cotto1_65.jpg

Cotto

• Miguel Cotto's first defense of the vacant welterweight title he won last week will be June 13 at New York's Madison Square Garden, Top Rank's Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

Cotto stopped Michael Jennings in five lopsided rounds to win a belt in his first bout since suffering his only loss last summer to Antonio Margarito. After the Jennings fight, Arum said Cotto gave him the thumbs up to book the arena for June 13, the eve of the annual Puerto Rican Day parade in New York. Arum said he and Garden executive Joel Fisher agreed on the date even though Cotto doesn't have an opponent yet. Arum has presented HBO and Showtime a list of opponents and asked for their bids. Cotto's opponent will likely be Joshua Clottey, Andre Berto or Kermit Cintron. Beyond June, Arum still has designs on a Margarito-Cotto rematch, even though Margarito's license was revoked in California for trying to use loaded hand wraps in his fight with Shane Mosley in January. "If Margarito's attorneys are successful in overturning it, I would want to do a Cotto-Margarito rematch in the fall. If not, maybe we'll do a Cotto-Mosley rematch. Mosley said he doesn't want to fight Cotto in New York in June and I respect that. So we could do it in the fall if there's no Margarito rematch. And then there's the Ricky Hatton-Manny Pacquiao winner."

box_lamont_65.jpg

Peterson

• It's not a done deal yet, but when Tim Bradley and Kendall Holt meet to unify junior welterweight belts April 4 (Showtime) in Montreal, the televised undercard fight likely will match Lamont Peterson (26-0, 12 KOs) and France's Willy Blain (20-0, 3 KOs) for a vacant interim junior welterweight belt, Arum told ESPN.com. Arum said Showtime has signed off on the fight and he was finalizing details with Blain's handlers.

box_fw_miranda_65.jpg

Miranda

• Edison Miranda (31-3, 27 KOs), the brash talking, power puncher from Colombia, continues his comeback in the wake of last summer's fourth-round knockout loss to Arthur Abraham in a super middleweight bout. Miranda, who won his comeback fight Jan. 14 by stopping Manuel Esparza in three rounds, is headed for London to face Joey Vargas March 20, hoping and impressive performance will help him land a shot at super middleweight titlist Carl Froch of England. "I have seen him fight. He is a good fighter, but he hasn't faced anyone who can hit like I can," Miranda said. "I wish him luck against Jermain Taylor, but win or lose, I want to get him in the ring. It would be an entertaining fight, and that is what I want to give my fans. Everybody knows when Edison Miranda fights someone is getting knocked out. This time it would be Carl Froch that would end up hanging in the ropes. … Someone tell Carl Froch to bring a net to the fight. I will need him to catch my opponent before he crashes into the ringside seats."

boxing_f_soto_65.jpg

Soto

• Top Rank tinkered with its schedule this week, shifting the rematch between interim junior flyweight titleholder Cesar Canchila and Giovani Segura to the main event of a March 14 Azteca America card in Mexicali, Mexico. The bout was originally slated for Top Rank's "Tijuana Thunder" pay-per-view card March 28, but a fifth fight would not fit on the televised part of the show, so the fight was moved. The announced lineup for the pay-per-view looks like this: junior middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Luciano Cuello in the main event; junior lightweight titlist Humberto Soto defending against Antonio Davis; Fernando Montiel, a junior bantamweight titlist moving up in weight, facing Diego Silva for a vacant interim bantamweight title; and former lightweight champ Jose Luis Castillo facing Antonio Diaz in a welterweight fight.

box_g_lopez_65.jpg

Lopez

• Top Rank also officially announced that Juan Manuel Lopez's April 25 fight in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, which will headline HBO's "Boxing After Dark," was set. Lopez (24-0, 22 KOs) will defend his junior featherweight title against bantamweight titlist Gerry Penalosa (54-6-2, 36 KOs) of the Philippines. The fight has been in the works for more than a month. "It's a great opportunity for me fighting a great champion like Gerry Penalosa here in Puerto Rico in what should be a great fight," Lopez said. "I know Penalosa is a good fighter and has plenty of experience, but I know that I'm ready for this type of challenge. I know what is at stake for my career. It's a big fight in front of my fans and on HBO. I want to be the first to knock him out. I know people are still not sure about me, but a win against Penalosa will go a long way to showing them how good I can be."

box_a_dirrell_65.jpg

Dirrell

• Super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell (17-0, 12 KOs), who returns to headline Showtime's "ShoBox" on March 28, will face David Banks (18-4-1, 3 KOs) of "The Contender" fame, Dirrell promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com. Banks has won three in a row since Edison Miranda smashed him in the third round in January 2008 for the ESPN.com knockout of the year. Junior middleweight Ronald Hearns (21-0, 17 KOs) opens the show against Harry Joe Yorgey (21-0-1, 9 KOs).

box_g_povetkin_65.jpg

Povetkin

• Heavyweight Alexander Povetkin's April 4 fight in Germany against 2004 U.S. Olympian Jason Estrada (15-1, 3 KOs) was made official. Povetkin (16-0, 12 KOs) is the mandatory challenger for unified heavyweight titleholder Wladimir Klitschko, so he must win to preserve his expected fall shot at the title. Povetkin was supposed to face Klitschko in December, but an injury forced him to withdraw. The Estrada fight is supposed to be a stay busy fight for the 2004 Russian Olympic gold medalist. "This time frame allows us to give Alexander a tough fight so that he can keep his rhythm," Sauerland Event's Chris Meyer said. "By picking Jason Estrada we have chosen a strong opponent. But that is exactly what Alexander had asked us to do because easy fights do not help him at all."

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_fw_bradley_65.jpg

Bradley

"He is talking so much trash and he has never faced a guy like me. He lost twice and he's been down eight times. In his [second] fight with [Ricardo] Torres he went down twice before he knocked Torres out with a head butt. He has a suspect chin and I will take it to him. Holt is lucky Torres did not make weight [for their planned third fight in December] because I think he would have gotten knocked out." -- Junior welterweight titlist Tim Bradley, at the recent news conference to announce his unification bout with Kendall Holt, which takes place April 4 (Showtime) in Montreal

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_f_holt_65.jpg

Holt

"Bradley is a nice fighter but has no experience, not enough to beat me. He better hope and pray that he will win this fight. He said I have been down, but you can't measure a fighter by his undefeated record. Champions are the ones that find a way to get off the canvas, fight and win. His '0' has got to go." -- Holt, responding to Bradley's comments at the news conference announcing their unification fight

Nioce fight weekend.

Showtime showin Adamtek titlke fight tonite at 11.

FNFs startin well. Young Irish dude got some skills

Back
Top Bottom