09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

pimp.gif

Indeed

Yo, March 7th is about to be CRACKIN!!!!! My boy Julio aint wasting no time tryin to rebound from that loss to Dzinzyiruk.

[h2]Julio, Kirkland to battle March 7[/h2]
Comment Email Print
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Junior middleweights Joel "Love Child" Julio and James Kirkland both have enormous power in their fists and have scored several highlight-reel knockouts. Now, they'll turn those fists on each other in a potentially action-packed fight matching two of boxing's most exciting young fighters.
Kirkland promoter Golden Boy and Julio co-promoter Main Events came to terms Wednesday for them to meet March 7 at a site to be determined in the main event of an HBO "Boxing After Dark" card.

"It's a dangerous fight," Kirkland manager Cameron Dunkin told ESPN.com. "Julio can really punch. I'm not afraid of his boxing ability as much as I am that he can hit you on the chin and hurt you. But I have a lot of belief in James, who can also really punch. Winning a fight like this will really get him to the next level. I think it's the right kind of fight for him at this stage of his career to find out where he is at."

Julio, 23, the 2005 ESPN.com prospect of the year from Colombia, is coming off a competitive decision loss to 154-pound titleholder Sergei Dzindziruk in Germany on Nov. 1. Julio got the fight after former junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora passed on the fight, Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez said.

Even though Kirkland, 24, of Austin, Texas, is older than Julio (34-2, 31 KOs), he isn't nearly as experienced against the caliber of fighters Julio has faced. But Kirkland (24-0, 21 KOs) is an explosive puncher coming off an eighth-round destruction of former "Contender" participant Brian Vera on Nov. 22 on HBO.

"It's a hell of a fight," said Gomez, who was finalizing the paperwork. "We know we are taking a big risk with Kirkland, but we have to make good fights. If our guys want to be on HBO, they have to fight tough fights."

Also set for the televised undercard: Junior welterweight Victor Ortiz, the 2008 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will take on former titleholder Vivian Harris in a crossroads bout.

"We have agreed to the terms, but I am waiting for the paperwork. But the fight is on," Harris promoter Gary Shaw said. "For Vivian, if he wants to continue the quest, he has to beat Victor Ortiz or there may not be a tomorrow. For Ortiz, it will be a major notch on his belt to beat somebody like Vivian Harris."

Ortiz (23-1-1, 18 KOs), 21, is one of the fastest rising talents in boxing. Given the prime co-featured slot on the Dec. 6 Manny Pacquiao-Oscar De La Hoya undercard, Ortiz overwhelmed Jeff Resto for a second-round knockout in his closing argument for prospect of the year honors.

Harris (29-3-1, 19 KOs), 30, lost his 140-pound title in September 2007 when he was brutally knocked out in the seventh round by Junior Witter in England. Harris won his only fight since, a sixth-round knockout of Octavio Narvaez in October. However, Harris had a very tough time in the bout, suffering two hard knockdowns in the first round.

Golden Boy is also in talks with HBO about expanding the card into a tripleheader to include former two-time featherweight titleholder Robert Guerrero, 25, who recently signed with Golden Boy after winning an arbitration case against his former promoter. Guerrero first returns to action to face Edel Ruiz after an 11-month layoff on Jan. 24 on the Antonio Margarito-Shane Mosley undercard in Los Angeles.

Guerrero (22-1-1, 15 KOs), now campaigning as a junior lightweight, is from the San Jose, Calif., area, where Golden Boy would like to put the show, Gomez said. Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.
Its crazy to think that Julio is actually younger than Kirkland. Julio definitely still has potential, with so many fights is easy to forgethe's only 23.

Nice to see Victor Ortiz get a significant fight. Harris might make it ugly, but if Victor can find him Vivian is done.

Guerrero also being on the card would be great. One of my fav fighters to watch. Local guy, good guy, an entertaining yet skilled fighter.

I was just coming to post that Professor , this year is shaping up to be great, young fighters are going at each other a tight economy makes for good fightsdue to the networks not giving up money on BS fights . Kirkland vs Julio should be a war neither guy is hard to find in the ring . If Kirkland gets tooreckless it could be lights out but if Julio doesnt move his head the same could happen to him . Ortiz vs Harris is another good one but I have a feelingVictor makes a statement and stops Harris in 8

pimp.gif
The Love Child.

IMO, Kirkland is about to catch his first L BUT...if Joel doesn't tighten up that damn defense of his, he'll have a world of problems.

How come he doesn't get talked about as much in the 154 lb division? Yeah, that loss to Quintana really set him back but he's been quite impressivesince then.

roll.gif
@ Vivian Harris...bum. I remember him calling out Mayweather back in05, then Harris gets KO'ed on the Mayweather/Gatti undercard.

Berto to chat today on ESPN.com. someone going to be at his work desk with lotion near by
laugh.gif

IMO, Kirkland is about to catch his first L BUT...if Joel doesn't tighten up that damn defense of his, he'll have a world of problems.
Co-sign, but it's one of those fights that you KNOW is not going to disappoint.

Also set for the televised undercard: Junior welterweight Victor Ortiz, the 2008 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will take on former titleholder Vivian Harris in a crossroads bout.
Harris is gone by the 4th or 5th round.

Peñalosa accepts JuanMa's offer
That's going to be a great @%#+*#% fight.

Trying to remember that bum's name who knocked out Harris, drawing a blank.

The dream ends for Berto this weekend.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Trying to remember that bum's name who knocked out Harris, drawing a blank.

The dream ends for Berto this weekend.

Carlos Maussa
laugh.gif
he clocked him when he was down too
roll.gif

Mosely dominated.
And samn near shut collazo out
Hatton hurt luis early like round 2 but IMHO Luis won that fight

Pacquiao Agrees to 50-50 Split to Fight Hatton

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has revealed that Manny Pacquiao has come to his senses and accepted the agreed upon 50-50 split to fight Ricky Hatton on May 2 in Las Vegas. Arum expects the fight to be signed by the end of the week. The media blitz began when Pacquaio's attorney told reporters that his fighter would not accept a 50-50 split and wanted a deal with terms for a 60-40 cut. Not long after those words reached the media, Hatton's attorney, Gareth Williams, threatened to sue Pacquiao for backing away from the deal that was verbally agreed upon.

Arum spoke with Pacquiao and explained that unlike Hatton's bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2007, he would received a cut of the British television money. When Hatton face Mayweather, the Manchester fighter kept all of the British TV money.

"By tomorrow, I'll have a signed contract. There was a lot of confusion about why we did 50-50, but everyone now understands why this is a good deal," Arum said to The LA Times. "This thing is going to happen. Yesterday was disarray. Today, everything's back in order. Everybody is now calmed down."

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Mosely dominated.
Hatton hurt luis early like round 2 but IMHO Luis won that fight
grin.gif
He fought well btu not that well...

Mosely dominated.
Luis broke his hand early.

A few tibits from Boxingscene.

- Amir Khan Vs. Marco Antonio Barerra on March 14th in the UK. First off, I understand he is past his prime but...MAB beats Khan. You heard it herefirst...Freddie Roach is a great trainer, but he can't give Khan a chin.

- Sergio Martinez Vs. Kermit Cintron on Feb 14th.

Also, ya'll really think Penalosa stands a chance against JuanMa? Jhonny Gonzalez was winning every round of that fight up until Penalosa caught him withthat body shot, and he lost a decision to Ponce De Leon. Ya'll saw what JuanMa did to Ponce De Leon...

This fight lasts 3 rounds at the most...

He fought well btu not that well...

From what I saw, Luis won that fight. from like round 6 on, Collaza was in command. and even had Hatton extremely hurt. ready to fall but Hatton Held on fordear life.

Luis broke his hand early.

wasnt it his thumb?

- Sergio Martinez Vs. Kermit Cintron on Feb 14th.

laugh.gif
Kermmy gonna get pounded again
he gets so easily distracted once things go wrong then he finds away to get knocked out.

I went to the Hatton v. Collazo fight, had damn good seats, Hatton lost.

It was his 1st fight on American soil, no way he was losing that fight.

[h2]Pacquiao: It's still 60-40, or I'll find somebody else[/h2]
abs-cbnNEWS.com | 01/15/2009 7:54 PM

Printer-friendly version | Send to friend

Contrary to earlier reports, Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao said on Thursday he is still insisting on a 60-40 split for his proposed "superfight" with British champion Ricky Hatton.

In a text message he sent to ABS-CBN correspondent Dyan Castillejo, Pacquiao maintained that he has not changed his mind regarding the percentage split with Hatton.

"Basta hindi nagbago ang 50-50 (if the fight isn't 50-50) sharing the fight will not happen," said Pacquiao in his text message.

The Filipino boxing champ said he even gave Hatton's camp until February to decide on the cut, or else, he will find another opponent.

"I will give them until February. 'Pag bindi pa nagbago, hanap na lang ng ibang kalaban," Pacquiao said.

The boxer's statement is contrary to a report posted on Telegraph.co.uk, which said the Pacquiao's camp has agreed for a 50-50 split.

The report said that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum was able to convince Pacquiao's handlers about Hatton's view of the revenue cut.

Arum reportedly said that the tension has already "calmed down", with the fight expected to be announced officially in the next week.

Pacquiao's lawyer Jeng Gacal said he has talked with Arum early Thursday morning about the negotiations.

"'Yon nga binigyan kami ng deadline (we're giving them a deadline) to act on the matter. Otherwise they will pull the plug. I have talked to Manny a few while ago… he's firm on 60-40," said Gacal.

Observers predict the Pacquiao-Hatton fight to generate at least $60 million.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

I went to the Hatton v. Collazo fight, had damn good seats, Hatton lost.

It was his 1st fight on American soil, no way he was losing that fight.

yeah, i remember that last round... Hatton was getting killed and couldn't throw punches

I think Pac should take the 50-50.

But he prolly has too many ppl in his ear looking to cash in on his fame.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

I think Pac should take the 50-50.

But he prolly has too many ppl in his ear looking to cash in on his fame.
very true! man, i can just list the names of those people now... but with NT's filipino population, they might be a relative
laugh.gif

What Freddie Roach told my dad is true. Manny is a great boxer, just a bad business man.

Back
Top Bottom