'09 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFF-SEASON THREAD-recruiting/Coaching Changes/Transfers

GTFOOH I have only seen the Notebook 15 times I just don't know the broads name.

And I just realized it was her.

She's Claire Cleary too.
No the notebook is a close second to Mean Girls.
'Mean Girls' is way behind 'The Notebook'

indifferent.gif

The Recession is hitting hard.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4397481

Budget cuts have Aggies going to fans
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- Calling all New Mexico State Aggies fans. Your team has the munchies and you can help.

In a twist on Little League moms lining up with after-game treats, New Mexico State's budget-conscious football staff distributed an e-mail this weekasking fans to donate after-practice or late-night snacks for hungry players.

It's a consequence of the national economy, of course.

"It's a decision we had to make with regard to our meals," first-year coach DeWayne Walker said Thursday. "There are a lot of other areaswhere we have to make tough choices with how we're going to spend our money."

"

Everyone's taking cuts. I don't want anybody to read into it that we're the poorest program in the country. We're not. And we're not theonly mid-level school that has to go through these kinds of issues.
" -- New Mexico State football coach DeWayne Walker

Athletic director McKinley Boston said regents directed him to trim $1.5 million from the department's budget, dropping the overall operations figure toabout $17 million for the current academic year.

"Obviously, I passed some of that on to all of our athletic programs, including football," Boston said.

That was the bad news. The good news for Walker and his players has been the community's response. The memo went out after the first day of practice, andsix donors wasted no time before they ponied up.

We're not talking about Cheetos here.

"It's good stuff like trail mix or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches," linebacker Jamar Cotton said. "We had a guy bring in a bunch ofwatermelons. That was great. The team was excited. It was like little kids getting lollipops."

The snacks might seem like a luxury to outsiders but players say they're helpful during preseason two-a-days, when the temperature is high and thedemanding practices seem endless.

And, no surprise here, young men get hungry. The Aggies eat dinner at 6 p.m., then sit through meetings until 9:30 p.m. By the time they tuck themselves in forbed, their stomachs are rumbling again.

"We practice so hard. We've got to get some extra stuff in the belly after dinner," running back Tonny Glynn said. "It's been really hotevery day. We're losing weight from all the workouts."

Offensive lineman Mike Grady said it makes things easier the following day, and a way to keep the energy up.

"Definitely, it helps to go to bed with something in your stomach," he said.

The school is also publicizing an Aug. 25 banquet featuring the football and volleyball teams. Tickets are $50 per person or $600 a table, but Walkercharacterized that event as "more your typical fundraiser."

Walker declined to disclose how much was trimmed from his program's budget, but noted that New Mexico State's number is "a lot different"than at UCLA, where he was defensive coordinator the past three seasons.

He expressed concern that people outside New Mexico might see the team's request for snacks as juvenile.

The reality, Walker said, is that the Aggies are in the same position as many schools, forced to make tough choices this season.

"Everyone's taking cuts," he said. "I don't want anybody to read into it that we're the poorest program in the country. We'renot. And we're not the only mid-level school that has to go through these kinds of issues."

After watching Ohio St's practice Pryor's footwork looks to be much improved. His throwing motion is still pretty much the same which really neverbothered me..apparently it doesnt bother the coaching staff either or Im sure theyd correct it. They always talk about how their philosophy in qbs is groundup, from the feet. He looks a lot more set..mind you its a controlled scrimmage and just drills. But much better in my eyes.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

guess unc getting their vtech on w/ these 40 times
laugh.gif
...in the nfl combine he won't break a 4.4
nobody can EVER top Vteach and there tails

Dhall and his 3.9 i think it was
roll.gif
roll.gif

Vick 4.0
Kevin jones and his 4.19

and the list goes on and on

Nah they said D-Lo ran a 4.15
laugh.gif
. Vick was like 4.26 or something like that. It's cus the turf in Rector Fieldhouse is ridiculously fast. The times areprobably actually accurate, but the surface makes the times way faster than they are. In other words, the coaches aren't adjusting the times or anythinglike that. If DHB ran his 40 here he'd probably have run in the 4.1's.

Cobbs on the Hill is a done deal.
Where the hell Scout got this article ... I dunno

Demarco Cobbs called late last nite and Told me Vols are his number 1 school...said he wanted to clear the rumors about a scout article saying they weren't in his top 3...
pimp.gif

Marlon Walls Cleared to play by Clearinghouse and will practice tomorrow
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

from LB to DT
eek.gif
.... I have got to see this guy play

Forde's Article

[h2]Safety first for Mays, Berry[/h2]

Comment Email Print >http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-i...licy: continuous;">Share </div><cite class= By Pat Forde
ESPN.com
Archive

The working title for this college football season is fairly straightforward: "Quarterbacks Rule."

That's understandable for the following reasons:

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Mark J. TerrillTaylor Mays takes no prisoners when it comes to laying the lumber in the secondary.

1. Tim Tebow

2. Sam Bradford

3. Colt McCoy

4. Quarterbacks almost always rule, and never more than this decade. They've won eight of the last nineHeisman Trophies as spread offenses proliferate and passing games become more efficient. They are steadily producing a greater portion of the averageteam's offensive output.

But let me play Clarence Darrow here and speak for the defense. Specifically, the last line of defense. It'ssafety first on that side of the ball in 2009.

It's nearly as big a year for safeties as it is for those glamour boys who throw the football, get the girlsand win the hardware. In Taylor Mays of USC and Eric Berry of Tennessee, the college game is blessed with a pair of superstar defensive backstops.

"I hope we get safeties some love," Mays said.

Love is in full bloom for the finest pair of safeties in college ball in years -- decades, perhaps. Maybe since1986, when Miami's Bennie Blades and Purdue's Rod Woodson were All-Americans. (Back then, Woodson played both cornerback and safety.) Or maybe since1980, when Kenny Easley (UCLA), Ronnie Lott (USC) and Dennis Smith (USC) all were de-cleating opponents in the same city. (What a truly awful time that musthave been to be a wide receiver in the Pac-10 conference.)

You want safety love? You got it.

It was Berry, not Tebow, who was the leading vote getter for the all-Southeastern Conference team among theleague's media members last month. In fact, Tennessee has launched a Heisman campaign for Berry -- which is ironic because many at the school remainutterly chapped that quarterback Peyton Manning lost the 1997 Heisman to the only defensive back ever to win it, Michigan's Charles Woodson.

[h4][/h4]
[h4]FUTURE FIRST ROUNDERS[/h4]
mcshay_todd_m.jpg

I haven't spent a great deal of time studying Eric Berry (on coaches-copy tape) but I've seen enough on TV to be excited about his pro potential. Both Berry and Taylor Mays obviously bring different attributes to the table. Mays is a freakish athlete at approximately 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds. He is a hard-hitting safety with excellent speed for his size. However, he's not fluid enough to match up versus many wide receivers in the slot, and his recognition skills are not where they should be at this point in his career.

Depending on how the season and workouts play out, I think Mays could go somewhere in the middle of the first round. He really needs to show better instincts as a senior in order to crack the top 10, as many seem to believe he will do. Berry is more of an Ed Reed-type with outstanding range and ball-hawking skills. Berry is as fluid as it gets for a safety, and he can match up man-to-man with most receivers. Berry's ball skills are also excellent.

If everything goes as planned between now and the draft (and assuming Berry leaves early, of course), I think Berry will go slightly higher than Mays. However, both should be off the board in the top-20 picks.

-- Todd McShay, Scouts Inc.

"Just hearing that they wanted to push a campaign for me, that made me feel very good," Berry said."I really love the UT staff for doing that for me. It's pretty cool. I like this deal."

And it's Mays, not any of USC's flotilla of five-star tailbacks and quarterbacks, who is on the cover ofthe school's media guide and is unquestionably the biggest name at the nation's glam program.

"I don't think anyone on defense or maybe on our whole team has seen more snaps than Taylor,"Trojans defensive coordinator Rocky Seto said. "He's going to be one of the foundations of our team."

They're entertaining to watch and fascinating to compare. The similarities and differences are striking.

They're both from big cities, but opposite sides of the country -- Mays from Seattle, Berry from suburbanAtlanta.

They were both considered among the very best defensive backs in the nation coming out of high school -- Mays in2006, Berry in 2007.

They both broke a few hearts in their home states by matriculating elsewhere.

They both are the sons of former college players -- Stafford Mays at Washington, James Berry at Tennessee.

They both would have laughed at the first suggestion of a redshirt year. No way these guys were going to sit fora minute.

They're both consensus All-Americans -- Berry one time, Mays twice.

They both have been compared to former Miami safeties -- Mays' physical style to the late Sean Taylor,Berry's ball-hawking style to the Baltimore Ravens' Ed Reed. Berry himself made that comparison to me last month.

They'll both be first-round NFL draft choices, or Mel Kiper will shave his head.

They're both allergic to self-satisfaction.

"What makes him fun is how much he wants to be good, how much he wants to maximize himself," Seto saidof Mays. "He is ridiculously driven."

Said Berry: "I put a lot of pressure on myself. I go in every offseason like an incoming freshman, trying toearn a spot."

They both have a surplus of personality and are comfortable in the spotlight.

"A lot of people, I think they're scared to come up to me," Berry said. "Maybe they thinkI'm a mean guy or they're afraid of bothering me. I had a bad experience one time with a pro athlete. I want to be the opposite of that. I was sohurt."

[+] Enlarge
Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesEric Berry needs just 15 interception return yards to break the NCAA record of 501.

They're both big fans of sushi.

"Me and him are going to see who can eat more," Mays said jokingly.

Over shrimp tempura they can discuss their differences.

Mays is a hitter, the most recent evidence being the Rose Bowl play in which he took out a Penn State receiverand a teammate with a helmet-to-helmet kill shot that drew a penalty. But he's also stunningly fast and athletic for his 6-foot-3, 235-pound size,running a 4.25 40-yard dash and possessing a 41-inch vertical leap.

"I'd like to think he's a big, I guess you could say, freak or monster," Berry said of Mays,"to still be that fast, still that athletic."

Berry is a playmaker -- we all know that based on his 12 career interceptions and the fact that he's a lockto break the NCAA career record for interception return yardage this season. But he's also startlingly physical for his 5-foot-11, 203-pound frame,regularly rocking bigger running backs with his hits.

First-year Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin has his dad, NFL veteran Monte Kiffin, calling his defenses. And Lane saidMonte's assessment of Berry is this: "I don't know how he couldn't be the first pick in the draft."

For that to happen in 2010, the junior would have to leave school a year early. That is something Mays electednot to do after last season.

For Berry, the decision could be made for him by his family's financial situation. He said his mom was laidoff last year from her job at a construction company, while his dad was laid off in February from Owens Corning.

There were no significant financial considerations for Mays when he made his pro decision. After an eight-yearNFL career, Stafford Mays became a senior manager at Microsoft. Mays' mom, Laurie Black, is an executive at Nordstrom.

"They just wanted me to make the decision for myself," Mays said. "They were open to whatever. Ididn't want to make it about the money. I had the opportunity to be a complete football player, to work on some things I haven't done."
"
"I'd like to think he's a big, I guess you could say, freak or monster, to still be that fast, still that athletic."
" -- Eric Berry on Taylor Mays

To do that, Mays knows he needs to work on his ball skills. He didn't intercept a single pass last season andhas just four in his three-year career. Part of that is a result of playing deeper in Pete Carroll's Tampa 2 defensive scheme to take away vertical threats-- the same defensive scheme Kiffin has installed at Tennessee -- but not all of it.

"I need to catch the ball," Mays said. "I don't get too many opportunities, but I need to addthat to my game."

What does Berry want to add to his game? How about a cameo at quarterback, driving defenses crazy from the spreadformation?

"I would love to do that," he said, comparing his high school quarterbacking style to Pat White's."Who wouldn't want to do that?"

Mays wouldn't want to do that. He's in a committed relationship with defense.

"I love the attitude on defense," he said. "The demeanor, the swagger, the camaraderie of theplayers. Offense is a little more individual, because one player can make a play. Defense is really team-oriented. I love celebrating when they can't runon you, can't pass on you, can't do nothing."

Taylor Mays and Eric Berry can do almost anything on a football field. So much, in fact, that they might be ableto swipe some of the spotlight from those glory-hog quarterbacks. Safety first, anyone?

Berry vs. Mays: Who's better?

August 13, 2009 10:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

Eric Berry or Taylor Mays?

I know, it's like asking: Would you rather be soaking up rays on a beach in Maui or a beach in Cancun?

Can you go wrong with either?

Nonetheless, the debate is raging as we point toward the 2009 season as to who's the best safety in college football.

There's Tennessee's Berry on the East Coast and Southern California's Mays on the West Coast.

They were both Thorpe Award finalists a year ago and catalysts for a pair of defenses ranked among the top four nationally. Mays is bigger. Berry is faster.

They're similar in that they're both the kind of safety that changes the way an opposing offense will try to attack the defense. They're different because they each have their own distinctive styles.

Ted Miller and I will endeavor to settle this debate. Ted covers the Pac-10 for ESPN.com. He'll make the case for Mays, and I'll make the case for Berry based on four different categories: 1. Who's the better pass defender? 2. Who's the better tackler? 3. Who has a greater overall impact on the game? 4. Who's the better NFL prospect?

I'll start it off, and we'll alternate from there:

1. Who's the better pass defender?

Low: Not even close here. Just look at the numbers. In two seasons, Berry has 12 career interceptions, and he tied for the lead nationally a year ago with seven. He's a human magnet to the football, has great anticipation and is never out of position. Even though he plays safety, he's a good enough cover man that the Vols are going to use him some as the nickel guy on passing downs. The truth is that nobody really throws his way. And when they do, Berry becomes the best offensive player on the field because he's usually taking it back the other direction.

Miller: Hard to argue this one. Mays only has four career interceptions, including a bagel last year. Mays hasn't spent a lot of time in one-on-one coverage. But there is a legitimate counter here. First, USC's pass defense has yielded only 28 touchdowns in Mays' three years as a starter. Tennessee has yielded 33 in Berry's two years as a starter. If you don't think that's about Mays, then why did he lead the Trojans in pass breakups? USC plays a cover-2. Only with one safety. Mays. Mays doesn't blanket a receiver. He operates as a passing deterrent. Think of it this way: Would you rather live in a neighborhood where there is no crime because the criminals are afraid of going there or in a neighborhood where police often make dashing arrests?

2. Who's the better tackler?

Miller: There are competing YouTube videos on this. Berry has some great hits in his career, no doubt. But you don't need a career catalogue for Mays. Just watch last year's Cal game. Or the Rose Bowl, when he took out two players with one blow (unfortunately one was USC corner Kevin Thomas). In fact, the challenge would be finding a game in which Mays didn't have a tackling highlight. One of the reasons Mays hasn't produced as many interceptions as he should have - other than owning mediocre hands - is his obsession with sending folks rear-end-over-tea-kettle.

Low: I offer video evidence from any number of tackles a year ago. There was the shoulder shiver that sent Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno airborne. There was the hit on Alabama receiver Marquis Maze that sent him spinning like a helicopter. Berry's personal favorite was a freight train-like collision in the hole with Mississippi State's bruising 240-pound running back Anthony Dixon. Hey, the guy hits like a linebacker, and if he gets his hands on you, you're going down. There's a reason he has 158 career tackles, including 8.5 for loss last season.

3. Who has a greater overall impact on the game?

Low: Lining up Berry on any defense instantly makes everybody else around him better. He's that kind of difference-maker physically and is infectious with the way he plays the game with so much confidence. But what sets him apart is his offensive mentality once he gets his hands on the ball. Twice he scored touchdowns in 2008 on interception returns and enters this season needing only 15 yards to break the major college record in career interception return yardage (501). He has three interception returns for touchdowns during his career and is that rare player who's a threat to score no matter where on the field he intercepts the ball.

Miller: Mays was the most important player for one of the all-time best college defenses last year - how's that for impact? In his three years as a starter, USC has ranked No. 1, No. 6 and No. 13 in pass efficiency defense. Tennessee has been No. 11 and 66th the past two seasons. Mays means no explosion plays in the passing game. He does not get beat deep. He means any receiver going over the middle is paddling his kayak toward Niagara Falls. As Kirk Herbstreit said during last year's Rose Bowl: "It takes a lot of courage to come into the middle of that defense knowing that Taylor Mays is going to come in and take a shot at you."

4. Who's the better NFL prospect?

Miller: First, let's challenge one thing. Mays is USC's fastest player. He ran a 4.25 40. So whether Berry is faster - we shall see. Mays also is 6-foot-3, 235 pounds with zero body fat. He bench presses 425 pounds and recorded a 41-inch vertical leap. He's off the chart in terms of measurable, and he will turn the NFL Combine into his little play pen. Second, Mays' four-year body of work playing at the highest level on the biggest stage for an annual national title contender means the bright lights of the NFL won't phase him. But, because we respect Berry so much, let's introduce some nuance because both these guys look like future All Pros. Berry is an Ed Reed-type player. If a team is looking for a safety to play man-to-man on a slot receiver, he's your guy. Mays is more of a Steve Atwater, Adrian Wilson sort of safety. He can play center field. Or he can operate as a glorified linebacker.

Low: Tennessee defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who knows a thing or two about what defenses are looking for in the NFL, has already said that he can't see how a team with the first pick in the draft wouldn't take Berry. The reason being: You just don't see 200-pound safeties who can hit the way Berry does, yet also possess the man-to-man coverage skills to slide over to the nickel and lock down a receiver. Two of the guys Berry grew up idolizing were Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor, both prototypical NFL safeties. Berry will join that stratosphere soon enough.

Lions vs. Gators for Floyd?

By Bill Kurelic, NN Recruiting Analyst
[email protected]
August 12, 2009

In July, Philadelphia (Pa.) George Washington defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd said he would likely take three official visits, with one of them being to Penn State. Floyd has since changed his mind a little, but still plans to visit the Nittany Lions.

"I'm going to take all five official visits," Floyd said Tuesday evening. "I'll probably visit Penn State, Ohio State, South Carolina and Florida, something like that."

The 6-foot-3 and 309-pound defensive lineman has plenty of choices. The sixth-rated defensive tackle and 74th-ranked overall prospect in the class of 2010 according to the recently-released ESPNU 150 estimates his scholarship offer list to stand between 35 and 40. The list includes Penn State, Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Pitt, West Virginia, Michigan, Boston College, Miami, Rutgers, UCLA, Temple and others.

It would not be surprising to see Floyd's decision come down to Penn State or Florida. He commented on the two.

"I like the Penn State coaching staff," Floyd said. "I'm thinking about going to one of their games. I haven't seen too much of their campus yet.

"I like everything about Florida. I visited Florida at the end of last month. I was there for a day and a half."

In addition to Florida, Floyd also visited Miami, Florida International, South Florida, South Carolina and Georgia last month.

Floyd plans to make his official visit to South Carolina the weekend of Nov. 14 when the Gamecocks take on Florida.

Kurelic's Comment: I think Penn State and Florida are the schools to beat at this point, and I think it could be a very close race. In the end, I tend to think the Nittany Lions win out.

http://www.nittanynetwork.com/index.php/component/resource/article/521-lions-vs.-gators-for-floyd

Rumors today that Sharrif has dropped psu because of some off field issues - anyone know more on this?
EDIT: Could someone post these articles:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=880&script=content.asp&cid=975185&fid=&tid=&mid=
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=7...URL=http://recruiting.scout.com/2/887942.html
These may clear things up. Thanks in advance.

August 12, 2009
[h1]Whispers: Floyd, Prater make changes[/h1]
Mike Farrell
Recruiting Analyst
Two of the nation's top 10 prospects have made major changes when it comes to their recruitment, with one moving up his timetable following a great unofficial visit and the other beginning to lose interest in the school that most thought was his favorite. [table][tr][td]
KYLEPRATER7_28200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Is USC set to land Kyle Prater?[/td] [/tr][/table]So where do things stand with Illinois wide receiver Kyle Prater and Pennsylvania defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd?
Prater, a 6-foot-5, 205-pounder from Hillside (Ill.) Proviso West who is the No. 4 prospect overall in the nation, was expected to take most of his official visits and make a decision sometime in December. But after an unofficial visit to USC this week, Prater is scheduled to announce his decision Sept. 2 at his school.

There are four finalists for his services - USC, Illinois, Oklahoma and Tennessee - and most sources are saying Pete Carroll and the Trojans have pushed their way to the top following the visit. Prater recently visited Tennessee, has been to Illinois numerous times and also has visited Oklahoma.

Before the Tennessee and USC trips, Prater favored Oklahoma slightly over Illinois, but it was too close to call. While his Tennessee visit was a good one, most sources feel that this will come down to USC, Oklahoma and Illinois. But confidence is high only in Los Angeles.

As for Floyd, from Philadelphia George Washington, a few leaders have emerged. Most were thinking Penn State was the team to beat. Shockingly, though, sources close to Floyd say Penn State doesn't appear to be one of Floyd's top teams right now. Some recent off-field issues at Penn State are said to be a factor in Floyd's diminished interest.

Floyd hasn't eliminated Penn State, as he has some other schools, such as Georgia, and the Nittany Lions remain on his short list. But he hinted last week that he wants to take official visits to Florida and South Carolina, with the Gamecocks becoming a major player. The same can be said for Ohio State, although the Buckeyes haven't offered in writing.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
SHARIFFLOYD15JD08200.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]A few leaders have emerged for Sharrif Floyd.[/td] [/tr][/table]Rutgers and Boston College also are in the mix, while North Carolina seems to be fading along with the Nittany Lions.
Floyd wants to take his official visit to South Carolina the weekend of Nov. 13, when the Gamecocks face Florida, and the Gamecocks, Scarlet Knights and Buckeyes (if they offer) appear to be on top right now. But Floyd is far from making a decision and plenty of things could change.

Interestingly, LSU recently contacted Floyd's coach, but it appears to be too late for the Tigers to get involved.

Five-star QB resurfaces

Quarterback Cameron Newton of Blinn CC in Brenham, Texas, is a familiar name to recruiting fans. Newton, an Atlanta native, was a five-star recruit when he signed with Florida in the class of 2007. Now, after getting into some trouble in Gainesville, he has resurfaced at Blinn and interest is growing.

Arizona and Kansas State have offered, and there has been interest from Mississippi State, coached by former Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen. K-State appears to be the team to beat right now, and comparisons to Josh Freeman have been made based on Newton's size and athletic ability.

There had been talk of Tennessee getting involved with Newton, especially because he is good friends with Vols wide receiver commitment Markeith Ambles, but the Vols want California quarterback Tyler Bray first and foremost.

Bray, a San Diego State commitment, will visit Tennessee on the weekend of Sept. 11 and is getting the full-court press from Lane Kiffin and his staff. If Tennessee can land Bray, they will have the quarterback they desperately need in this class and a prospect who is a perfect fit for Kiffin's offense. If not, they could try to get involved with Newton, but by that time, it could be too late.

Switching states

Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway defensive end LaMichael Fanning, a 2011 prospect, is moving to Alabama and will play his junior season at Auburn High.
[table][tr][td]
LAMICHAELFANNING3_11200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LaMichael Fanning is on the move.[/td] [/tr][/table]Fanning was rumored to be one of Georgia's first commitments for the class of 2011, but this move could change things. Offers already have arrived from Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee, Alabama and South Carolina, and he believes Florida will offer as well. You also can expect Auburn to offer soon.
Auburn and Alabama would like to make it an in-state battle, but don't overlook Georgia or Florida, the team that pulled safety Dee Finley out of Auburn High in 2008.

Bulldog talk

Georgia is focused on a few remaining prospects.

The Bulldogs want one more cornerback and it seems they are down to Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas' Cody Riggs or Tampa Hillsborough's Terrence Mitchell.

They likely will take yet another defensive lineman, in Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson tackle Mike Thornton.

Beyond that, they also want a third wide receiver but seem to be on the outside looking in on most of their targets, such as Chris Dunkley (Florida), Ivan McCartney (West Virginia), Ted Meline (Oregon), Trovon Reed (LSU) and Kenny Shaw (Florida State). Wayne (N.J.) De Paul Catholic wide receiver Shakim Phillips recently narrowed his list to five, with Georgia on the outside looking in. Look for Georgia to turn up the heat on Meline if they like what they see this season or perhaps get involved with Miami Northwestern's Michaelee Harris.

Finally, Georgia has become a major player for Stamford (Conn.) High linebacker Khairi Fortt. I still think it would be a stunner if Fortt ended up anyplace but Penn State. Fortt will take official visits to Penn State, Georgia, North Carolina and most likely USC, with his fifth visit going to either Tennessee or Michigan. Georgia and North Carolina are the only serious threats for Fortt at this point, but Penn State's linebacker tradition, proximity to home and his relationship with Nittany Lions commitment Silas Redd have the Nittany Lions in the lead.

The Bulldogs would take either Fortt or Port St. Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast linebacker Jeff Luc if either wanted to sign. Luc's friend and teammate, linebacker Deon Rogers, is a soft commitment to Georgia.

Etc.

bullet.gif
Despite a second trip to Gainesville, Fla., this time for almost a full week, sources say five-star defensive end Ronald Powell from Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde still has to be considered a strong lean to USC. He's not close to making a decision and likely will take more than a few official visits, so anything can happen. Still, this clearly looks to be a Florida-USC battle, with the Trojans having the edge.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
KARLOSWILLIAMS2_2200.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Will Karlos Williams follow his brother to Florida State?[/td] [/tr][/table]
bullet.gif
2011 wide receiver Karlos Williams from Davenport (Fla.) Ridge Community is remaining open to all programs, but it's likely he ends up at Florida State. His brother, Vince, is an FSU linebacker. Right now, the biggest threats to FSU are Florida, Michigan and Ohio State.
bullet.gif
Four-star wide receiver Kenny Stills of Carlsbad (Calif.) La Costa Canyon has three official visits set, and he said he will take only unofficial trips to West Coast schools. Stills will visit Penn State when it hosts Ohio State on Nov. 6, Oklahoma when Texas A&M comes to town on Nov. 13 and Florida when it faces Florida State on Nov. 27. For his two other visits, Still is talking to Alabama, Georgia and LSU. He said he's trying to get involved with Ohio State and has been in communication with Notre Dame. Oklahoma remains the team to beat, and if Prater ends up committing to USC, it will only help OU's chances with Stills.

bullet.gif
Michigan already has commitments from three running backs, but the Wolverines aren't done at the position. Dallas Skyline's Tony Drake likely will move to wide receiver when he gets to Michigan, and the same could happen to Livonia (Mich.) Stevenson all-purpose back Austin White, given his impressive receiving skills; still, White will get his first look at running back. That leaves Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus running back Stephen Hopkins as the only pure runner in the class. Michigan would love to land Miami Booker T. Washington's Eduardo Clements, who is high on the Wolverines and Georgia but will be hard to pull away from the hometown Hurricanes. Michigan also is staying in the mix with Miami Central's Brandon Gainer, Deerfield Beach (Fla.) High's Cassius McDowell and La Canada (Calif.) St. Francis' Dietrich Riley. Riley is being recruited as a safety by everyone except for Michigan.

bullet.gif
With 2009 signee Carlos Hyde headed to Fork Union (Va.) Fork Union Military Academy and chances unknown about whether he'll ever make it to Ohio State, Buckeyes coaches could be in the mix for a second running back in the 2010 class to go with Roderick Smith. Ohio State is recruiting Pennsylvania stud Corey Brown as an athlete, so North Canton (Ohio) Hoover back Erick Howard will be the second back if he gets his grades together.

bullet.gif
Speaking of Ohio State, the Buckeyes could end up with a Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas defensive back after all - but it might not be the top one on their board. While LaMarcus Joyner has delayed his decision, he is considered a Florida State lock by most. Fellow STA cornerback Keion Payne seems to have a great deal of interest in Ohio State. While Miami leads, the Buckeyes have a good shot with Payne.

bullet.gif
Delray Beach (Fla.) Atlantic wide receiver James Louis surprised Florida when he committed to Ohio State a little over a week after telling the Gators he was headed their way. Florida wanted Louis to come to Gainesville with his family to commit in person, and numerous attempts were made to set up the trip, including an invitation to "Friday Night Lights." But Louis apparently didn't like going through such hoops and committed to Ohio State sight unseen. But this one might not be over, and it wouldn't be a stunner to see Louis change his mind down the line. In the meantime, Florida's top targets at wide receiver are Chris Dunkley of Pahokee (Fla.) High, Christian Green of Tampa Catholic and Ivan McCartney of Miramar (Fla.) High. Some people think Dunkley already is a silent commitment to Florida, while Green is considered a Florida State lean and McCartney is considered wide open, though West Virginia is mentioned often with him. Torrance (Calif.) El Camino C.C. Kenbrell Thompkins, a Miami native, apparently is not an option, but Louis hasn't been ruled out if he's still interested.

bullet.gif
Norcross (Ga.) High offensive tackle Max Garcia is down to Vanderbilt, Clemson and Maryland, with the Commodores and Tigers the teams to beat. Vanderbilt currently has the edge, but Garcia visits Clemson this week. If Clemson can't sway him, it could turn up the heat on Middletown (Del.) High tackle Gifford Timothy, who visited last week.
[table][tr][td]
GEORGEUKO4_17200A.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]The Sooners could be slipping with George Uko.[/td] [/tr][/table]
bullet.gif
Chino (Calif.) Don Lugo defensive tackle George Uko once had Oklahoma high on his list, but it seems as if the Sooners are slipping. Uko still lists Oklahoma in his top five, along with Tennessee, Cal, Oregon and USC, and it appears USC is the team to beat, followed by Cal and Oregon. He could make his decision following his official visits to Cal (Sept. 4) and Oregon (Sept. 25), as he has seen USC plenty.
bullet.gif
Mississippi State leads over Kentucky and Louisville for Tyrone (Ga.) Sandy Creek three-star running back Rajion Neal, and he could commit before his season starts.

bullet.gif
Cleveland Glenville cornerback Christian Bryant said he will "for sure" take official visits to Ohio State, Michigan State and Tennessee, and also could see North Carolina and Illinois. Bryant wants to make his decision in December, shortly after his high school season would finish if Glenville made it to the state championship. Virginia could sneak into his top five, and Bryant said Notre Dame and Vanderbilt also are being watched closely. The Buckeyes, Spartans and Volunteers seem to have the best shot at landing him, and it would be a surprise if he ended up anyplace but Columbus.

bullet.gif
Olney (Md.) Good Counsel cornerback Louis Young again has backed off his commitment to Stanford, and it's now likely he'll end up on the East Coast. While Virginia Tech long has been thought to be his favorite if he stays closer to home, sources say Maryland actually has the edge, followed by Boston College.

bullet.gif
Arkansas, Baylor and Oklahoma have emerged as the top three schools for four-star defensive tackle Byran Jones of Junction City, Ark. Ole Miss also is a favorite, but the Rebels haven't had much interaction with Jones recently. He also likes Florida, but that looks like an outside shot at this point. Jones seems to be in no rush to make a decision and wants to take official visits to his top three. It isn't clear if Oklahoma is truly interested, and it looks more and more as if Jones will stay in-state.

bullet.gif
It has become evident that Norfolk (Va.) Lake Taylor outside linebacker Travis Williams probably won't be playing for an in-state school. Williams tentatively has planned official visits to LSU, Penn State, Miami and West Virginia. A fifth trip, possibly to North Carolina or Tennessee, could happen. Getting away from home seems like one of his biggest priorities. Williams' friendship with fellow Virginia prospect Justin Hunter could make things interesting. Hunter is an early commitment to LSU, but will look at Tennessee and also is interested in West Virginia; all three schools also are on Williams' list. They aren't a package deal, but it wouldn't be a stunner if they chose the same school.

bullet.gif
Murrysville (Pa.) Franklin Regional offensive lineman Sean Hickey could make a decision this week, and it looks as if it will be between Illinois and Boston College, with the Illini in the lead. Illinois also leads for cornerback Rashad Knight of Jacksonville Trinity Christian; his father played running back for Illini co-defensive coordinator Dan Disch in high school. And the Illini like their chances with lineman Parker Mack of Little Rock (Ark.) Pulaski Academy, although Arkansas will be tough to beat.

bullet.gif
Shelby (N.C.) Crest athlete Reggie Wilkins could be making a decision soon between North Carolina and North Carolina State.

G-Town, the dropping PSU rumor is going to bring out the Urban haters.� Someone will post a rumor about what Urban told Floyd. I just find thisrumor to be hilarious with how much publicity UF has received about our arrest record recently.�

KingJames23 wrote:

G-Town, the dropping PSU rumor is going to bring out the Urban haters.� Someone will post a rumor about what Urban told Floyd. I just find this rumor to be hilarious with how much publicity UF has received about our arrest record recently.�

Thanks for posting. Yeah, everyone is saying that 'Urban did some negative recruiting on psu.'
laugh.gif
�at this. We've had as many or more arrests than anybody in the past coupleyears. Not sure about the severity of psu's arrests but can't see how Urban could twist that. Also
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
�at usce being a strong player for him. Looks like he will get to see us play twice, the game at usce should help give us advantage with Sharrifover usce.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

Thanks for posting. Yeah, everyone is saying that 'Urban did some negative recruiting on psu.'
laugh.gif
�at this. We've had as many or more arrests than anybody in the past couple years. Not sure about the severity of psu's arrests but can't see how Urban could twist that. Also
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
�at usce being a strong player for him. Looks like he will get to see us play twice, the game at usce should help give us advantage with Sharrif over usce.
pimp.gif
Honestly I can't believe we're in such a good situation for Floyd but I'll gladly take it. Grabbing a 5* DT 3 years in a row would bedamn impressive.

The thing about USCe is that when you are a mediocre team you can pretty much guarantee PT. That's a major attraction to some players, as I've saidbefore, the best players don't worry about the depth chart. If you're scared of competition, get out. Urban has proven the best players playregardless of class. I don't know how he feels about competition and need for early PT.

This has the potential to be a nasty class.

The Bulldogs want one more cornerback and it seems they are down to Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas' Cody Riggs or [color= rgb(102, 0, 0)]Tampa Hillsborough's[/color] Terrence Mitchell
Sike. Leave T-Rex alone
pimp.gif

Kenny Shaw (Florida State)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Bulldogs would take either Fortt or Port St. Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast linebacker Jeff Luc if either wanted to sign. Luc's friend and teammate, linebacker Deon Rogers, is a soft commitment to Georgia.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Sike. Don't think heleaves the state.[/color]

bullet.gif
2011 wide receiver Karlos Williams from Davenport (Fla.) Ridge Community is remaining open to all programs, but it's likely he ends up at Florida State. His brother, Vince, is an FSU linebacker. Right now, the biggest threats to FSU are Florida, Michigan and Ohio State.

'Los
pimp.gif

bullet.gif
Speaking of Ohio State, the Buckeyes could end up with a Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas defensive back after all - but it might not be the top one on their board. While LaMarcus Joyner has delayed his decision, he is considered a Florida State lock by most. Fellow STA cornerback Keion Payne seems to have a great deal of interest in Ohio State. While Miami leads, the Buckeyes have a good shot with Payne.

This is the first I am hearing/reading of this. I have never heard OSU mentioned w/ KP
Florida's top targets at wide receiver are Chris Dunkley of Pahokee (Fla.) High, Christian Green of Tampa Catholic and Ivan McCartney of Miramar (Fla.) High. Some people think Dunkley already is a silent commitment to Florida, while Green is considered a Florida State lean and McCartney is considered wide open, though West Virginia is mentioned often with him. Torrance (Calif.) El Camino C.C. Kenbrell Thompkins, a Miami native, apparently is not an option, but Louis hasn't been ruled out if he's still interested.

Stop wasting time and go ahead and end it Christian
tongue.gif
pimp.gif

cornerback Rashad Knight of Jacksonville Trinity Christian
I hope we offer this kid.

I don't know who the 21st best college football player this year is.....but i'm sure he and his team gonna do damage
pimp.gif

The Big East is close to a deal that would send its No. 2 team to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando and its No. 3 to the Sun Bowl, a source close to the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The league's current deal, which ends after this season, has its No. 2 team going to the Gator Bowl or Sun Bowl, with Notre Dame eligible to be taken in place of the Big East twice in a four-year span.

[h4]Big East blog[/h4]
bennett_brian_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Brian Bennett writes about all things Big East in his conference blog.

Blog network:
College Football Nation

The Gator Bowl likely will end its relationship with the Big East and instead sign a deal with the Big Ten. The Big East's agreement with the Champs Sports Bowl would still include Notre Dame, but the game could select the Fighting Irish instead of a league team only once every four years, the source said.

The conference's No. 4 team would then go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., the source said. Currently, the Meineke gets the No. 3 team from the Big East.

The league is still reviewing its options for its fourth, fifth and sixth slots. Possibilities include the International, Papajohns.com and St. Petersburg bowls -- all of which are part of the current lineup -- or new affiliations.

A newly created game in New York City also remains a possibility

With 2009 signee Carlos Hyde headed to Fork Union (Va.) Fork Union Military Academy and chances unknown about whether he'll ever make it to Ohio State

Grew up with this kid he was wild. The smartest thing he ever did was move from Cincy to Florida or he never would've made it out of the hood. Expelled hisfreshman year for beating the dog #@$@ out of this _ .

Terrence and Terry Talbott committed to Michigan today. From Huber Heights in OH. Good school to get a name in but going to be tough to grab from if OSU wantsthem. Decent pickups. Need DBs and DTs so thats the biggest plus. Looks like we will go after 25 since we lost 2 more due to transfer this week. Both backupsbut Evans had a chance to play. Helmuth did not.

Back
Top Bottom