09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Charlie Strong to get the Lousville job
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Good job Papa Johns.

who the hell still wears a Fossil watch?
laugh.gif

Congrats to Charlie Strong. Shoulda got an SEC job years ago, tho...

Originally Posted by DLo13

who the hell still wears a Fossil watch?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Fossil got some Tanks that I'd rock.... for free. I wouldnt pay for em

Congrats to Charlie Strong. Shoulda got an SEC job years ago, tho...

U aint Lyin.
Charlie's shoulda been scorchin hot after the O$U/UF Title game. he had no bidness waitin this long to get a Legit Job.

Somebody heard Tony Dungy, $**@#%# finally.

and I hope we don't lose Mark Stoops. Dude is a monster with DBs.

9. Chick-fil-A Bowl
No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee
7:30 p.m. ET, Dec. 31

NASCAR mogul Bruton Smith once offered the Hokies and Volunteers $20 million each to play a game at Bristol Motor Speedway. With a total payout of $6 million, Chick-fil-A Bowl officials might be getting off cheap. It's a matchup of two great running backs: Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams and Tennessee's Montario Hardesty.

eek.gif
so why was the game never played with that much money beenoffered?

Rolando McClain wins the Butkus

fabc369a-d454-400d-91c8-87a3bbc68ed8_mn.jpg

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow (15) fends off Alabama defender Rolando McClain (25) as he carries the ball during the first quarter of the NCAA college football SEC Championship game, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)
(AP)

For once, the proverbial quarterback of No. 1 Alabama's defense was caught unprepared.

Linebacker Rolando McClain was in coach Nick Saban's office doing a TV interview Tuesday morning when football legend *+@% Butkus strolled in to surprise him with the Butkus Award given annually to the nation's top linebacker.

"I had no idea what to do," McClain said. "I saw coach get up and shake his hand. Naturally, I got up and I just kind of froze. I mean, he's *+@% Butkus.

"That was my first time ever meeting him. It's kind of humbling. You feel like you're a pretty good linebacker, then *+@% Butkus is in the room."

pimp.gif

EDIT
Ethan Grant decommitted from Oregon and switched to TCU.

THATS MAJOR!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Good for him. Hopefully he does well down there.
pimp.gif

TCU is my #2 fav squad, so I ain't mad at 'em. LMJ almost went to TCU, also...

9. Chick-fil-A Bowl
No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee
7:30 p.m. ET, Dec. 31

NASCAR mogul Bruton Smith once offered the Hokies and Volunteers $20 million each to play a game at Bristol Motor Speedway. With a total payout of $6 million, Chick-fil-A Bowl officials might be getting off cheap. It's a matchup of two great running backs: Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams and Tennessee's Montario Hardesty.
eek.gif
so why was the game never played with that much money been offered?
That rumor's been around since like '99 I think. I don't think either AD actually believed he was gonna pay $20 mil, but he did offera huge chunk of money. For what it's worth our AD was on board to do it, but Tennesee's backed out. I don't know if they still have the same AD asthey did back then, but there is almost no chance of that game ever happening.

Even with 160k fans at the game, Smith would still not turn a profit for hosting the event if he paid us as much as he said he was going to.

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Good for him. Hopefully he does well down there.
pimp.gif

TCU is my #2 fav squad, so I ain't mad at 'em. LMJ almost went to TCU, also...
I'm pissed about that
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I mean, really?
TCU over Oregon?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

[h2]Bowden: 'It's probably best if I get away'[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
Archive

Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, who was forced to resign last week, said Tuesday that he probably won't return to the school as a fundraiser next year.

Florida State president T.K. Wetherell and athletic director Randy Spetman asked Bowden, 80, to return to FSU as an "ambassador" for the football program after he coaches his last game against West Virginia in the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., on New Year's Day.

[h4]ACC blog[/h4]
dinich_heather_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Heather Dinich writes about all things ACC in her conference blog.

Blog network:
College Football Nation

"I'll probably weigh other options," Bowden said during a teleconference with reporters on Tuesday. "It's probably best if I get away from FSU."

Bowden, whose 388 career victories trail only Penn State's Joe Paterno as major college football's winningest coach, said he has told incoming coach Jimbo Fisher that he would have his office cleaned out before the Seminoles return from the Gator Bowl.

Bowden said he also didn't want FSU officials to honor his career during a game at Doak Campbell Stadium next season. When FSU announced Bowden's retirement on Dec. 1, Wetherell said in a statement that he hoped the athletic department would plan a celebration and recognition for Bowden during a game in 2010.

"I don't need my back stroked," Bowden said. "I don't have an ego problem, I don't think. I appreciate their concern and thoughts, but I don't have to have that."

Bowden said he insisted on coaching FSU in the Gator Bowl because he didn't want to quit on his players.

"I didn't think it would be fair to the boys," Bowden said. "I thought it would be like I was running off on them."

Bowden said he and his wife, Anne, will probably keep their house in Tallahassee, Fla., but plan to relocate to their condominium at Panama City Beach, Fla., or will find a new home in their hometown of Birmingham, Ala.

Bowden, who is heavily involved with Fellowship of Christian Athletes, said he planned to embark on a speaking tour after retiring from coaching.

"I've always said I don't want to be in Tallahassee [after retiring]," Bowden said. "I don't want to be over the coach's shoulder. I don't want to do that."

Bowden said he hoped FSU fans would support Fisher, his offensive coordinator, who was named Bowden's eventual successor near the end of the 2007 season. It will be Fisher's first head-coaching job.

"As soon as I get out of here, they've got to jump on his bandwagon," Bowden said. "They've got to support him every way they can. They've got to do that, and I think they will. That's one of the reasons I want to get out of town. I don't want to be here and him sitting there in my shadow."

Bowden was forced to resign by school officials after the Seminoles finished 6-6 in his 34th season at FSU. It was the third time in four seasons that FSU lost six games or more.

Bowden said he planned to coach the Seminoles in 2010 but wasn't given that option by school officials. Bowden said he hoped to turn around FSU before leaving, like Paterno did at Penn State.

"I'm just like an old fighter," Bowden said. "I'm like [Evander] Holyfield. I'm like Joe Louis. You always think you have one more fight you can win."

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected].

The N.C.A.A. is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into the University of Tennessee's football recruiting practices, according to interviews with several prospects, their family members and high school administrators. A significant part of the investigation is focused on the use of recruiting hostesses who have become folk heroes on Tennessee message boards for their ability to help lure top recruits.

roll.gif

In one case, hostesses traveled nearly 200 miles to attend a high school game in South Carolina in which at least three Tennessee recruits were playing.

Marcus Lattimore, a running back who made an unofficial visit to Tennessee but said he would not enroll there, said multiple Tennessee hostesses attended a game at James F. Byrnes High School in Duncan, S.C., in September. He said they brought signs, including one that read, "Come to Tennessee."

"I haven't seen no other schools do that," he said. "It's crazy."

The hostesses are considered representatives of the university, which would mean they could not recruit players off campus. Therefore, the visits may be considered violations of N.C.A.A. recruiting rules.

Two of Lattimore's teammates, Brandon Willis and Corey Miller, have orally committed to Tennessee. Lattimore described the hostesses as "real pretty, real nice and just real cool." He said he thought they had "a lot" of influence in Miller's and Willis's commitments to Tennessee...

"You don't want to go to a college where they ain't pretty," Lattimore said.

dont be that guy, Marcus Lattimore youre better than that ...
tired.gif

Brent works with him and said Lance hasnt been contacted but surely his name could pop up

if Lance leaves, Rod Garner LB coach UT?

I hear Shelton Quarrels name comign up as an addition to the Tennessee staff. Kiffin is trying to surround the program with "NFL" types

The N.C.A.A. is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into the University of Tennessee's football recruiting practices, according to interviews with several prospects, their family members and high school administrators. A significant part of the investigation is focused on the use of recruiting hostesses who have become folk heroes on Tennessee message boards for their ability to help lure top recruits.

Kiffin is that dude.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Kiffin is that dude.
pimp.gif

Been saying this for a minute now.
pimp.gif

And not surprised at all on BK. I'm actually glad ND got him. We got ND on the schedule for like 30 more years guaranteed and I want them to beconsidered a top team for our own sake.

ComeUp, is he gonna coach the bowl game?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom