09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

[h3]Surprise team in for Seastrunk[/h3]
3:44PM ET
We thought top running back recruit Lache Seastrunk was down to two SEC schools -- Auburn and LSU, as Rival.com's Jamie Newberg told Dunway and Brown (radio). USC and California are out of the picture.
But a surprise team has entered the picture late: Oregon. ESPN affiliate Duck Territory writes that Seatrunk is in Eugene for a surprise visit, adding intrigue to the battle for this top recruit.

He may have seen the crowded backfields at both schools, or he may have learned that another uncommitted RB recruit, Marcus Lattimore, was also leaning toward Auburn. Already, Auburn landed the top running back in the class, Michael Dyer.

http://photobucket.com/

ummmm yea you wish.

its crazy. For like 2 months the word has been hearing USC leads for Lache, then in a day he drops them *shrugs*

I dare to dream

[h3]Surprise team in for Seastrunk[/h3]
3:44PM ET
We thought top running back recruit Lache Seastrunk was down to two SEC schools -- Auburn and LSU, as Rival.com's Jamie Newberg told Dunway and Brown (radio). USC and California are out of the picture.
But a surprise team has entered the picture late: Oregon. ESPN affiliate Duck Territory writes that Seatrunk is in Eugene for a surprise visit, adding intrigue to the battle for this top recruit.

He may have seen the crowded backfields at both schools, or he may have learned that another uncommitted RB recruit, Marcus Lattimore, was also leaning toward Auburn. Already, Auburn landed the top running back in the class, Michael Dyer.

halle.jpg

Fixed.
But I'm sure nothing will come of it with LMJ only being a Sophomore next year.

[h1]Exclusive: Mardy Gilyard Regrets Ripping 'Boss Man' Kelly[/h1]

CINCINNATI -- If Mardy Gilyard is indicative of others in theBearcat Nation, well, let's put it this way: Brian Kelly isabout to get a group hug.

Oh, I know. They egged Kelly's house after his decision to leave the University of Cincinnati football program for NotreDame. Plus, near the Bearcats' locker room, where each of the former football coaches has a name plate on a wall of honor, the one for Kelly is tornaway. But to hear Gilyard tell it, many of Kelly's week-old bashers -- including himself -- wish to hide their faces inside of that crazy mix of spaghetti,cheese, beans, onions and ground beef known as chili around here.

"Speaking for me, I overreacted, and I want to apologize to Coach Kelly for my message that got a little sideways, because I felt like I kicked him in thestomach," Gilyard, Cincinnati's splendid wide receiver, said during an exclusive interview with FanHouse on Thursday night outside of theBearcats' athletics complex.

This was significant. After all, Gilyard led the relentless attacks on Kelly last week after the coach did the right thing by leaving his 12-0 Bearcats beforethe Sugar Bowl to follow his dream in South Bend. The coach announced his decision to his players inside of a back room at a downtown hotel after theirseason-ending banquet.

Many were not amused. In fact, moments into Kelly sharing his news, a seething Gilyard bolted with several of his teammates.

Among other things, Gilyard told those waiting nearby with cameras that Kelly "went for the money." Then Gilyard blasted Kelly's integrity bysaying, "I feel there was a little lying in the thing. I feel like he'd known this the whole time. Everybody knows Notre Dame's got the money. Ikind of had a gut feeling he was going to stay just because he told me he was going to be here."

That was then.

As for now, Gilyard shakes his shaggy head over his Kelly tirade. He said he cringed as soon as he flipped on his television that night and saw a 6-foot-1,187-pound guy in dreadlocks ripping away at somebody who spurred greatness for the Bearcats overall and for the guy in dreadlocks in particular.

mg-200-121809.jpg
"I was cooled down by the time I got to my house, and I kept looking at that interview I did over and over again, and I was kicking myselfand asking, 'Mardy, man. How could you do Boss Man like that?' " Gilyard said, referring to Kelly, who helped Gilyard through his inspiringjourney at Cincinnati. Gilyard went from homeless while on campus as a freshman after losing his scholarship over academic issues to finishing his seniorseason as a likely first-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

There was Kelly's emphasis on the total person that spurred Gilyard off the field, where he stayed academically focused in search of a sociology degree. Healso joined his teammates in Kelly-ordered acts of community service. Then there was Gilyard on the field, where he exploded in Kelly's fast-pace offenseas a clutch receiver when he wasn't scaring opponents on kick returns.

This is the same Kelly who led the historically mediocre Bearcats to 10-3, 11-3 and 12-0 seasons during his only time as their head coach. He also used hisoverwhelming charisma to pull a rarity at Cincinnati over the past eight decades or so. He enticed folks to pack ancient Nippert Stadium more often than not.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly.

He was the man.

He was Cincinnati's Boss Man, and Gilyard ripped him.

"I was so disrespectful to him," said Gilyard, easing into a soft voice, while studying a spot on the ground. Then he lifted his head, adding,"Me, personally, I want to put it out there that I neglected to give Boss Man credit. You have to give credit where credit is due, and he spring-boardedus to where we needed to be, where we needed to be, where we trained to be as kids, and we thank him for that."

To translate, all of that previous outrage over Kelly involving Gilyard and others was exactly what we thought it was: The stuff of jilted lovers. Gilyardnodded, saying, "I know I still have to try to embrace the idea of him not being around anymore. He's been such a great leader to us, and he'sbeen such a great figure to us that, for him to leave, it was just a hard pill for us to swallow."

It's just that Kelly had no other choice.

That is, to leave for Notre Dame, to announce his decision when he did, and to not coach the Bearcats in the Sugar Bowl.

About Kelly taking the Notre Dame job: Said this week's Gilyard, who continued to sound like the bizarro version of last week's Gilyard, "Evenbeyond Coach Kelly, I know Notre Dame is a dream job for most coaches. There's such a strong tradition at that school and so on and so forth."Consider, too, that the 48-year-old Kelly cherished Notre Dame as an Irish Catholic growing up outside of Boston .

About Kelly's timing: Bearcats athletics director Mike Thomas told FanHouse that Notre Dame officials contacted Cincinnati officials "through a thirdparty that they were interested in Brian the week of the Pitt game." That was before Cincinnati's last game of the regular season. Added Thomas,"I truly don't think Brian was having discussions with them at that point. Certainly I wasn't having discussions. Our condition of having any kindof discussions would have to take place after our regular season was over, which was Saturday, December 5, at the conclusion of the Pitt game.

"I do think -- at least I would hope and I believe -- that those conditions were met, and it didn't happen until after that game was complete."

Still, rumors were everywhere that Notre Dame and Kelly were one, long before it happened. Their marriage also became official in news reports before most ofthe Cincinnati players arrived at their banquet.

"There's no grudges back here with Coach Kelly. I'm planning to get in touch with him, because I love Boss Man, and I respecthis decision."
- Mardy Gilyard Thus theknee-jerk anger from Gilyard and others, but Kelly wasn't at fault. I mean, if he would have spoke earlier about his Notre Dame interest, he would beaccused of coaching malpractice. Not only were his Bearcats still playing, but they were doing so in the midst of an undefeated season along the way to a BCSgame.

About skipping the Sugar Bowl: Kelly had no choice.

"I've been through this a few times, and I think, in some ways, this is difficult for these kids to understand," said Thomas, in his fifth yearat Cincinnati after serving as an assistant, associate or head man in the athletic departments at Iowa, Denver, Virginia and Akron during the past 25 years.

Added Thomas, "I'm not saying it makes it OK (for coaches to leave teams stranded in these situations). It doesn't. I would hope that in thefuture, some kind of process or protocol would really be put in place so that these types of changes and coaching changes would happen after the bowl games.But I know for that to be a reality, you'd have to change the schedule as to the way it relates to recruiting calendars and spring ball and everythingelse.

"I think it puts us in a bad situation. And you know what? In this particular case, it puts Central Michigan in a bad situation."

That's because Cincinnati hired Kelly protégé Butch Jones, who was preparing Central Michigan to play in the GMAC Bowl. Now Jones will watch from afar aslong-time Kelly assistant Jeff Quinn leads Cincinnati against Florida in the Sugar Bowl, and Gilyard said the Bearcats have accepted their fate.

"There's no grudges back here with Coach Kelly," said Gilyard, adding that he has yet to talk with Kelly since his outburst. "I'mplanning to get in touch with him, because I love Boss Man, and I respect his decision. I wish him the best of luck going over to South Bend, as he probablywishes us the best of luck going down to New Orleans .

"Life is good around here."

Well, now it is -- at least for Gilyard.

rivals
FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford

Particulars: 6-4/235, redshirt freshman
High school: Houston Stratford
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

RB LaMichael James, Oregon

Particulars: 5-9/180, redshirt freshman
High school: Texarkana (Texas) Liberty-Eylau
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

RB Dion Lewis, Pittsburgh

Particulars: 5-8/195, true freshman
High school: Blairstown (N.J.) Blair Academy
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

Particulars: 6-3/217, true freshman
High school: St. Matthews (S.C.) Calhoun County
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

WR Eric Page, Toledo

Particulars: 5-10/165, true freshman
High school: Springfield (Ohio) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold2.gif

WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

Particulars: 6-2/215, true freshman
High school: South Brunswick (N.J.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

T Jonathan Martin, Stanford

Particulars: 6-6/291, true freshman
High school: Los Angeles Harvard-Westlake
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

T Michael Philipp, Oregon State

Particulars: 6-3/313, true freshman
High school: San Bernardino (Calif.) Arroyo Valley
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

G Barrett Jones, Alabama

Particulars: 6-5/280, redshirt freshman
High school: Memphis Evangelical Christian
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

G Carson York, Oregon

Particulars: 6-5/285, redshirt freshman
High school: Coeur d'Alene (Idaho) Lake City
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

C Peter Konz, Wisconsin

Particulars: 6-5/315, redshirt freshman
High school: Neenah (Wis.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

K Matt Weller, Ohio

Particulars: 6-0/210, redshirt freshman
High school: Twinsburg (Ohio) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold2.gif

P Tress Way, Oklahoma

Particulars: 6-1/215, redshirt freshman
High school: Tulsa (Okla.) Union
Rivals ranking:
stargold2.gif

FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

E Aldon Smith, Missouri

Particulars: 6-5/255, redshirt freshman
High school: Raytown (Mo.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

T Kawann Short, Purdue

Particulars: 6-4/310, redshirt freshman
High school: East Chicago (Ind.) Central
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

T Jerel Worthy, Michigan State

Particulars: 6-3/292, redshirt freshman
High school: Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

E Chandler Jones, Syracuse

Particulars: 6-5/246, redshirt freshman
High school: Endicott (N.Y.) Union-Endicott
Rivals ranking:
stargold2.gif

LB Chris Borland, Wisconsin

Particulars: 5-11/235, true freshman
High school: Kettering (Ohio) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State

Particulars: 6-3/245, true freshman
High school: Corona (Calif.) Centennial
Rivals ranking:
stargold5.gif

LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College

Particulars: 6-3/225, true freshman
High school: Cincinnati St. Xavier
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina

Particulars: 6-1/188, true freshman
High school: Rock Hill (S.C.) South Pointe
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

CB Josh Robinson, UCF

Particulars: 5-10/181, true freshman
High school: Plantation (Fla.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold4.gif

FS John Boyett, Oregon

Particulars: 5-10/190, redshirt freshman
High school: Napa (Calif.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

SS Rashard Hall, Clemson

Particulars: 6-2/195, redshirt freshman
High school: St. Augustine (Fla.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

KR Warren Norman, Vanderbilt

Particulars: 5-10/188, true freshman
High school: Chamblee (Ga.) High
Rivals ranking:
stargold3.gif

PR Greg Reid, Florida State

Particulars: 5-9/175, true freshman
High school: Valdosta (Ga.) Lowndes
Rivals ranking:
stargold5.gif

[h1]O. Perry Walker defensive lineman Anthony Johnson commits to LSU[/h1]
Mike Strom, The Times Picayune, December 18, 2009 10:01 a.m.

O. Perry Walker junior defensive lineman Anthony Johnson said Friday morning that he has committed to LSU.

Johnson, 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, had been a Tennessee commitment since May, but the addition of Frank Wilson to LSU's coaching staff coupled with his desire to play closer to home, family and friends led to the decision to choose the Tigers.

Johnson said he informed Wilson, LSU Coach Les Miles and defensive line coach Brick Haley of his commitment Friday morning.

"I committed to LSU this morning,'' Johnson said. "I talked to my mom last night and she always had said she didn't want me to go too far from home. So I made the decision based on family, plus I know a lot of the players up there.

"They also have my major up there as well. My major is kinesiology. They have a great medical school up there.

"I've been thinking about this for a long time. I had a talk with the Lord about it and I decided. So I pulled my mom to the side and told her of my decision.''

Johnson said he initially chose Tennessee from a list of official offers that included LSU, Alabama, Miami, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia and Cal.

Wilson's recent addition LSU's staff as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator to replace Larry Porter was a major factor as well, Johnson said.

"It was a big influence,'' Johnson said. "Coach Frank is a great add-on for LSU. LSU has always been a great place. Coach Wilson is a great football coach. He's one of the best recruiters in the nation. He is what LSU has been missing. He'll be a great add-on for LSU. He'll be a great cornerstone for LSU to build upon.''

eek.gif
at Chandler making the list. I didn't think he was that good in the games that I saw this season. However our run defense was in the top 15 this year.

its crazy. For like 2 months the word has been hearing USC leads for Lache, then in a day he drops them *shrugs*

I dare to dream

It's crazy cause the report is wrong. Lache is still considering SC.

USC investigating Joe McKnight driving around in a Land Rover:

http://www.latimes.com/sp...9,0,2881407.story?page=1

Joe McKnight, star tailback of USC's football team, has been driving a sport utility vehicle owned by a Santa Monica businessman, an arrangement that the school is investigating and may be in violation of college rules.

The NCAA, which governs major college sports, prohibits student athletes from accepting benefits from marketing representatives or agents or "extra benefits" based on their athletic ability.

For several weeks, McKnight has been seen driving a well-kept 2006 Land Rover that, according to California Department of Motor Vehicles records, is registered to Scott Schenter.

Schenter, 47, has a background that includes marketing, and a company he owned registered a website called 4joemcknight.com. It is unclear whether Schenter has any ties with USC or the school had knowledge of his activities.

...Provided a document showing that Schenter had owned the domain 4joemcknight.com, the running back said, "I haven't done anything wrong. I'm just being a football player and a father to my child.

"I won't break any rules because I know if I do I can't get on the football field. I'm trying to keep my life secure and stay on the football field."

smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

like the NCAA will do anything

i think we are all still waiting for the Reggie Bush thing

Waiting for what? There's no conspiracy. NCAA can't link SC to the Reggie situation and they know it.

NCAA will bucket everything under "lack of institutional control" when they realize that the statute of limitations is on their back.

the investigating of Bush has like 3 things tied to it i thought?

Bush
Tim Floyd
and the Oj mayo thing

890036.jpg

F633388.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

F633392.jpg

Early Enrollees:
#18 Tyler Bray
#82 Matt Milton
#30 RB Channing Fulgate

(speaking of Caucasian RBs has anyone seen Brandon Bourbon? he's headed to Stanford )

Dude is Real DLo. Rumor is he might not get in Stanford. I dunno, could just be hate.

and trust me, 6'2 220 and he got wheels

**Edit

Bruce Irvin faxed his LOI into WVU.
He didnt wanna take the two extra classes that he would have needed to be eligible in the SEC.
smh.gif

[h1]Locker didn't get a first-round grade from Advisory Committee[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 8:25 PM ET
For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft inwhat could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid aspreviously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL CollegiateAdvisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Lockerdidn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong inhis assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping offwith no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys likeMcShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the AdvisoryCommittee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal withthe broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the topof his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks whoscout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the playerswhom they believe to be good players become good players.

http://profootballtalk.nb...from-advisory-committee/

From the McShay thread, but this @!%@ is too funny not to post in here.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Just finished my Bowl Pick 'Em.
pimp.gif

I wonder if Eddrick Loften will start looking around now that Tony Jefferson is going to OU...

Back
Top Bottom