10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Drake's is getting corny fast, his 15 minutes started an hour ago. 
same way I feel, he'll run his course eventually. I don't see a Jay-Z length career from him, top 10 DOA is laughable

Drake's style reflects modern music/hip hop, which is why some people would resist giving him such an honor. He can rap with the best of em though, we will see what he does in the next decade or so....

KayCurrency wrote

Jeezy makes good music, but theres no way you can put him in a top 10 list....
laugh.gif

The same thing can be said for Drake, though.

TML has sold 1.5 million as of now, it's also the first hip hop debut to go platinum in over 5 years. 

I don't see him going anywhere

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

same way I feel, he'll run his course eventually. I don't see a Jay-Z length career from him, top 10 DOA is laughable

But you saw a "Jay-Z length career" from Hov when Reasonable Doubt dropped?....Or when Hov was fast rapping with Jaz-O?

....Of course you did
laugh.gif

Speaking of Reasonable doubt (A classic to some)... I bet ya'll didn't know it took about 6 years for it to go platinum Just about the time when Hov self-proclaimed him self to be one of the best ...

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

But you saw a "Jay-Z length career" from Hov when Reasonable Doubt dropped?....Or when Hov was fast rapping with Jaz-O?

....Of course you did
laugh.gif

Speaking of Reasonable doubt (A classic to some ALL)... I bet ya'll didn't know it took about 6 years for it to go platinum Just about the time when Hov self-proclaimed him self to be one of the best ...

Fixed.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

10-15 years will he be one of the greats,hell yea.

Right now....not even close even though I *** with him
pimp.gif

He's already in the top 10 out right now though

This. Other than The Weeknd, he's my favorite artist of ANY genre right now. How he'll stack up with the greats in the end? To be seen.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

....Of course you did
laugh.gif

Speaking of Reasonable doubt (A classic to some ALL)... I bet ya'll didn't know it took about 6 years for it to go platinum Just about the time when Hov self-proclaimed him self to be one of the best ...

Fixed.

RD is a classic IMO

but....BP>RD

Originally Posted by Deuce King

....Of course you did
laugh.gif

Fixed.

RD is a classic IMO

but....BP>RD

AGREED. BP was always my fav Jay album followed closely by RD.

Originally Posted by IamMD

You dudes are wild...How can you listen to the music he makes and not say that it is completely on a different level than the other music that is being put out.
Cause when mainstream radio rap/hip hop is in one of it's most watered down states currently, you can't help BUT to look like a million bucks. I mean, who
is he competing with on mainstream radio as far as rap? Don't say Jay-Z, Kanye, or Eminem either, cause they're on an entirely different level and class than him.
Drake's competition is Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Plies, Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Nicki Minaj, and whoever makes the next dance craze. So Drake
looks like a big dog compared to a watered down group of people (though I would take Ross & Jeezy over Drake any day as far as full albums go.)

To answer OP's question, I really don't see Drake standing the test of time unless people's musical tastes/attention spans hit a pretty low point. And since music in
general runs in cycles, YM may not really even be a factor in THREE years time. But Birdman will do his best to try to make sure that doesn't happen.

....Of course you did
laugh.gif

Speaking of Reasonable doubt (A classic to some)... I bet ya'll didn't know it took about 6 years for it to go platinum Just about the time when Hov self-proclaimed him self to be one of the best ...

I'm speaking strictly about duration of career and ability to remain relevant. The question wasn't about if I thought Jay-Z would last back in 96 (which I had no doubts about seeing as how the album was a classic)

I fear Drake will go stale like Nelly, he's already getting repetitive with his sound. I don't think that can last 10+ years

Originally Posted by Peep Game

You dudes are wild...How can you listen to the music he makes and not say that it is completely on a different level than the other music that is being put out.
Cause when mainstream radio rap/hip hop is in one of it's most watered down states currently, you can't help BUT to look like a million bucks. I mean, who
is he competing with on mainstream radio as far as rap? Don't say Jay-Z, Kanye, or Eminem either, cause they're on an entirely different level and class than him.
Drake's competition is Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Plies, Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Nicki Minaj, and whoever makes the next dance craze. So Drake
looks like a big dog compared to a watered down group of people (though I would take Ross & Jeezy over Drake any day as far as full albums go.)

To answer OP's question, I really don't see Drake standing the test of time unless people's musical tastes/attention spans hit a pretty low point. And since music in
general runs in cycles, YM may not really even be a factor in THREE years time. But Birdman will do his best to try to make sure that doesn't happen.

so...you don't think Drake is making music that is better than crap on watch the throne?
laugh.gif
 come on...

edit: Alot of dudes are way to nostalgic.  For all the wack rappers that exist today, i can name just as many in the 90s and early 2000s.  People like Jay Z and Nas stood out because they were much better than the other artists of that time. Correct?  Come on..be serious man.

This is imo....

I was having this discussion the other day with someone. From my perspective, he's easily the best artist out (and the best artist hip-hop has seen since kanye first came out) and the 2nd best rapper out. (J. Cole being first, but even this is a stretch.) To not say this, is borderline hater-like to me. He raps great, he makes great r&b records (to the point where he could be considered the best r&b artist in the game, and he's a RAPPER) , he can transition from rapping to singing on a record better than any artist i've seen in a long time, I mean...he has it all.

His combination of Singing, (He's not the best singer, but his singing ability complements his song concepts, lyrics, and beats in this genre PERFECTLY) rapping, (Which imo is becoming underrated. Just from his last 5 verses alone. This is why if he isn't the best out, there can't be more than one or two rappers out better than him) singing & rapping, is why I put him in the top 3 or 2 rappers out now and the #1 best artist by far.

Consider this. Who's his competition. Kanye? (Maybe the most overrated rapper of ALL TIME, in regards to his status. He's decent, but nowhere near where people place himself to be) Jay-Z? (Drake's more recent verses are better than every verse Jay spit on Watch The Throne) Lil Wayne? (.....) Eminem (I could give you em, but me personally I find drake's raps more appealing and better to listen to) There is no guy coming close to him so that goes without saying. He's far and away better than everyone else.

The same guy that makes a record like "Marvin's room," can Make a record like "Headlines," then spit a guest verse like he did on "The Zone," Make a hook as good as "She Will," and make a hook and verse as he did on "I'm on one." Far and away, the most superior rapper & artist in hip-hop today.

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

This is imo....

I was having this discussion the other day with someone. From my perspective, he's easily the best artist out (and the best artist hip-hop has seen since kanye first came out) and the 2nd best rapper out. (J. Cole being first, but even this is a stretch.) To not say this, is borderline hater-like to me. He raps great, he makes great r&b records (to the point where he could be considered the best r&b artist in the game, and he's a RAPPER) , he can transition from rapping to singing on a record better than any artist i've seen in a long time, I mean...he has it all.

His combination of Singing, (He's not the best singer, but his singing ability complements his song concepts, lyrics, and beats in this genre PERFECTLY) rapping, (Which imo is becoming underrated. Just from his last 5 verses alone. This is why if he isn't the best out, there can't be more than one or two rappers out better than him) singing & rapping, is why I put him in the top 3 or 2 rappers out now and the #1 best artist by far.

Consider this. Who's his competition. Kanye? (Maybe the most overrated rapper of ALL TIME, in regards to his status. He's decent, but nowhere near where people place himself to be) Jay-Z? (Drake's more recent verses are better than every verse Jay spit on Watch The Throne) Lil Wayne? (.....) Eminem (I could give you em, but me personally I find drake's raps more appealing and better to listen to) There is no guy coming close to him so that goes without saying. He's far and away better than everyone else.

The same guy that makes a record like "Marvin's room," can Make a record like "Headlines," then spit a guest verse like he did on "The Zone," Make a hook as good as "She Will," and make a hook and verse as he did on "I'm on one." Far and away, the most superior rapper & artist in hip-hop today.
-Claps- Im glad you had the balls to say this...because I agree but I didn't wanna open up that can of worms...

People "
eek.gif
" over that "Bueller had a Muller" Line....I thought it was OK at best
grin.gif

People seem to be infatuated with the Lyricist more than the Lyrics...

Originally Posted by Peep Game

so...you don't think Drake is making music that is better than crap on watch the throne?
laugh.gif
 come on...

edit: Alot of dudes are way to nostalgic.  For all the wack rappers that exist today, i can name just as many in the 90s and early 2000s.  People like Jay Z and Nas stood out because they were much better than the other artists of that time. Correct?  Come on..be serious man.

Well Drake has had quite a bit of production better than what was on Watch the Throne, so I can give you that. The problem with your edited statement is mainstream rap
was a hell of a lot more balanced than it is now. From the 90's and 2000's (probably up until early 2006), there was a balance of all types of rap...party music, storytelling,
and every other possible form. Now, there is an oversaturation of &#^$, and very little actual quality rap music is on the radio. But you can't possibly be serious that Jay and
Nas were head and shoulders above everybody else when you still had a fair share of quality rappers to compliment them too. I don't think people are being "too nostalgic"
either, i think people are being realistic. 

This question is really tough.  Top 10 DOA in 10-15 years is probably a no.....he would have to put out  3 or 4 classic albums in that time to get NEAR the list.
Saying any new rapper is top 10 DOA is going to be tough given those who have come before and who we have grown up on and who we related to growing up.  But for the younger generation I can see them trying to say this.

I do agree with all the Drake praise though...right now dude has transcended the game idc what you say lol.  He is now doing whatever he wants.  No D-riding, no A-kissing like i felt he did when he first came on (which most people have to do to get a cosign/following).

But if you ask a 30 year old in 15 years maybe drake makes the list....you ask me in 15 years il be 39 no way he sees my list.

1. Pac
2. Big
3. DMX (yeah i said it)
4. Big Pun
5. Big L
6. Eminem
7. Jay-z
8. Nas
9. Lupe Fiasco
10. Wu

Honorable mention Andre 3000/outkast and i think with 1-2 more albums Kanye will join the discussion.  Hip Hop Artist though obv not lyricist.

You still have Rakim, KRS, EPMD, Scarface, UGK, NWA its going to be hard to ever put drake past some of these people even.

Spoiler [+]
i think kid cudi if you count him as hip hop makes music = to what drake makes he just doesn't put out as much stuff

Drake definitely could be a top 10. There's a reason why he's the last new hip hop artist to really blow up in the past few years. He understands how to be commercially succesful and still have a very good sense of who he is as an artist. He's got all the talent to do so, he just needs that classic album to solidify as him being one of the best. TML was great to me but I can see why some people knocked it, he still made SFG though so im sure he can pull it off.

*In DMX voice*

"Here we go again"

First Kanye makes better music then Hov, now Drake being top 10 DOA.....
laugh.gif

If you guys consider his music "dope", you might want to start picking up some albums that were released between 91-99

I rather listen to KRIT, Curren$y, and mixtape Wiz Khalifa then ANY of his music. 

New rap is terrible, any way you look at it.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

This is imo....

-Claps- Im glad you had the balls to say this...because I agree but I didn't wanna open up that can of worms...

People "
eek.gif
" over that "Bueller had a Muller" Line....I thought it was OK at best
grin.gif

People seem to be infatuated with the Lyricist more than the Lyrics...
Game, set and match. When people get past who the artist is, and listen to what a Hov verse, and a Ye verse, and see what they actually are saying, then you can see why the praise for Drake is warranted. 

Drake's more recent verses are better than every verse Jay spit on Watch The Throne)

"Disrespecting the game no home training or manners".........SMH.

The same guy that makes a record like "Marvin's room,"

Marvin's room is a song for SIMPS and make to encourage SIMPING.  No dude in their right mind should be giving that song two thumbs up or a vote of confidence in regards to hip hop.  Marvin's room and songs like that are things we don't need in hip hop right now cause we can do without.

How the hell are people "nostalgic" for thinking Jay/Em/Ye are better than Drake?
laugh.gif
NT stays on its generalizations and "my opinion is fact" steez. IMO, Drake could be in MY top 10. Would like to see more work from him though.

i think so.

he already has a classic in So far Gone.

what guys my age will not admit they're stuck in the 90's and they need to get over it. IMO, Drake IS the total package, the man can do it all. Not in a long time have I seen a artist like drake put the EFFORT he does in his music and is getting better and better at it.

Back
Top Bottom