10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

^^

im 27 and I bump his $%%# proudly. good music = good music especially when you can relate to it.

you're just like the other cats who questions why i or other people listen to his music: insecure.
That is fine, but to each is own.

I can not relate to ANYTHING he is saying. 

OBCL2 >>>SFG, and yes I am SERIOUS.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

After scanning this, i think the word "classic" either needs to be redefined, or people need to look it up while listening to the albums that
are labelled classic.
Are you insinuating that SFG is not a classic?  

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Can't compare apples and oranges songs. Two different types of songs.
Fam', Its almost like you read this one post and decided form a witty response....Read the entire thread

Um, I don't relate to EITHER song. Doesn't mean they're not good songs (I like both) or that they're not relatable to people.Why are YOU telling ME what or what not to relate to?

I wasn't even talkin to you when I made that comment.... I was talking to the two Minority NBA team owners who flew their private Jet to europe all while trying NOT to socialize with collgiate athletes to avoid a $50,000 fine from the NBA (Which of course is NOTHING to them because...well....they have the bread to be "N's in Paris")
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Please inform me of what was so great about Drake's recent verses to say they are better than anything Jay spit on WTT?

And yall obviously must not be including his verse on Game's album
laugh.gif

That game verse isn't recent to me, that's like over a year old.
But in regards to what's so great about his recent verses? Perhaps you have listened to them, but if you haven't, (dreams money can buy wildfire remix, the zone remixx, i'm on one, trust issues, marvin's room) check them out, self explanatory imo.

I've said this before, and in my opinion relatability is very important in hip-hop and drake excels in this. Jay-Z? Not so much, especially on watch the throne. Felt so braggadocios and arrogant to me...

I relate alot more to Jay on WTT than recent Drake. TO ME, Jay spit lyrics that make you feel proud of accomplishments especially when you look back at when you had without.Drake? I don't relate to the relationship drama as much.

This is imo....

I was having this discussion the other day with someone. From my perspective, he's easily the best artist out (and the best artist hip-hop has seen since kanye first came out) and the 2nd best rapper out. (J. Cole being first, but even this is a stretch.) To not say this, is borderline hater-like to me. He raps great, he makes great r&b records (to the point where he could be considered the best r&b artist in the game, and he's a RAPPER) , he can transition from rapping to singing on a record better than any artist i've seen in a long time, I mean...he has it all.

His combination of Singing, (He's not the best singer, but his singing ability complements his song concepts, lyrics, and beats in this genre PERFECTLY) rapping, (Which imo is becoming underrated. Just from his last 5 verses alone. This is why if he isn't the best out, there can't be more than one or two rappers out better than him) singing & rapping, is why I put him in the top 3 or 2 rappers out now and the #1 best artist by far.

Consider this. Who's his competition. Kanye? (Maybe the most overrated rapper of ALL TIME, in regards to his status. He's decent, but nowhere near where people place himself to be) Jay-Z? (Drake's more recent verses are better than every verse Jay spit on Watch The Throne) Lil Wayne? (.....) Eminem (I could give you em, but me personally I find drake's raps more appealing and better to listen to) There is no guy coming close to him so that goes without saying. He's far and away better than everyone else.

The same guy that makes a record like "Marvin's room," can Make a record like "Headlines," then spit a guest verse like he did on "The Zone," Make a hook as good as "She Will," and make a hook and verse as he did on "I'm on one." Far and away, the most superior rapper & artist in hip-hop today.
-Claps- Im glad you had the balls to say this...because I agree but I didn't wanna open up that can of worms...

People "
eek.gif
" over that "Bueller had a Muller" Line....I thought it was OK at best
grin.gif

People seem to be infatuated with the Lyricist more than the Lyrics...
Game, set and match. When people get past who the artist is, and listen to what a Hov verse, and a Ye verse, and see what they actually are saying, then you can see why the praise for Drake is warranted. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 You guys have got to be kidding me. Im neither a Drake or Jay fan but to say Jay's verses on Welcome to The Jungle, Who Gon Stop Me, Murder to Excellence or Why I Love You is not better than Drake's verse on Good Girls Go Bad, Headlines, Trust Issues, Tony Montana, Im on One
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
. And to argue if you are going to mention So Far Gone as a classic, you guys gotta look at it musically cuz rap wise it is good but most definitely not a "classic".

roll.gif

I mean, do you guys understand all of the MCs Drake would have to "surpass" that don't even generally get mentioned on people's Top 10 lists?  Artists like Redman, Common, Black Thought, LL Cool J, Q-Tip, Ghostface, Andre 3000, DMX, Snoop, Big L, Jadakiss, Eightball, Fabolous, Big Pun, Missy Elliott, Ludacris, Cam'Ron, Bun B, Guru, Raekwon, AZ, Kurupt, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Quik, GZA, Juvenile, Lil' Fame, Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, etc.

Not to mention he'll have to beat out his contemporaries, including Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, The Game, TI, Pusha-T, and Jeezy, all of whom I would take over Drake right now and three of whom will almost certainly end up "ranked" higher than Drake when all is said and done.

Finally, he would have to knock someone who's a "regular" in Top 10 lists out of their position.  MCs like BIG, Tupac, Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-One, Kane, G Rap, Slick Rick, Eminem, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Scarface, etc.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING.  PERIOD.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and all but Drake will NEVER be generally considered a Top 10 DOA rapper.  Ever.

Fam', Its almost like you read this one post and decided form a witty response....Read the entire thread

Um, I don't relate to EITHER song. Doesn't mean they're not good songs (I like both) or that they're not relatable to people.Why are YOU telling ME what or what not to relate to?

I wasn't even talkin to you when I made that comment.... I was talking to the two Minority NBA team owners who flew their private Jet to europe all while trying NOT to socialize with collgiate athletes to avoid a $50,000 fine from the NBA (Which of course is NOTHING to them because...well....they have the bread to be "N's in Paris")
laugh.gif

And I'm sure you entirely relate as much to Drake's verse on "Miss Me" right?

Artists need not make songs/verses all the time that is about YOU. They can talk about themselves as well.

Jay had his moments on WTT that were good...but I'd go as far as to say Kanye>Hov on WTT...not by much though

I'm not even trolling either... Kanyes Verse on "Made in America"> any Hov verse on WTT

Originally Posted by red mpls

roll.gif

I mean, do you guys understand all of the MCs Drake would have to "surpass" that don't even generally get mentioned on people's Top 10 lists?  Artists like Redman, Common, Black Thought, LL Cool J, Q-Tip, Ghostface, Andre 3000, DMX, Snoop, Big L, Jadakiss, Eightball, Fabolous, Big Pun, Missy Elliott, Ludacris, Cam'Ron, Bun B, Guru, Raekwon, AZ, Kurupt, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Quik, GZA, Juvenile, Lil' Fame, Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, etc.

Not to mention he'll have to beat out his contemporaries, including Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, The Game, TI, Pusha-T, and Jeezy, all of whom I would take over Drake right now and three of whom will almost certainly end up "ranked" higher than Drake when all is said and done.

Finally, he would have to knock someone who's a "regular" in Top 10 lists out of their position.  MCs like BIG, Tupac, Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-One, Kane, G Rap, Slick Rick, Eminem, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Scarface, etc.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and all but Drake will NEVER be generally considered a Top 10 DOA rapper.  Ever.

Fixed

Originally Posted by alex2182

-Claps- Im glad you had the balls to say this...because I agree but I didn't wanna open up that can of worms...

People "
eek.gif
" over that "Bueller had a Muller" Line....I thought it was OK at best
grin.gif

People seem to be infatuated with the Lyricist more than the Lyrics...
Game, set and match. When people get past who the artist is, and listen to what a Hov verse, and a Ye verse, and see what they actually are saying, then you can see why the praise for Drake is warranted. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 You guys have got to be kidding me. Im neither a Drake or Jay fan but to say Jay's verses on Welcome to The Jungle, Who Gon Stop Me, Murder to Excellence or Why I Love You is not better than Drake's verse on Good Girls Go Bad, Headlines, Trust Issues, Tony Montana, Im on One
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
. And to argue if you are going to mention So Far Gone as a classic, you guys gotta look at it musically cuz rap wise it is good but most definitely not a "classic".
Honestly, I listen to those verses from Jay with a 
ohwell.gif
 face on. Like, its cool, is good, its just not entertaining, and I personally don't find them really enjoyable. I haven't played basically any Jay verse from that album since its release.
And I would agree with that last point, and that's another thing Drake has in his favor. His production match what he's trying to do with his lyrics and concepts to a T.

laugh.gif

Artists need not make songs/verses all the time that is about YOU. They can talk about themselves as well.
Once again...The point has gone over your head....Did you NOT see that homie said he could relate to "N's in Paris"?

Of course I cant relate to "Miss me"....Never said I could either.... But to go as far as to say "Hip Hop doesnt need this"....Who the hell are they to make such a statement?....

roll.gif

I'm about to set a bombshell with this, and this is coming from someone with a well versed music library...
He's better than A LOT of those dudes you mentioned already. He just hasn't been in the game for nearly as long and doesn't have the album count and accolades that these people have..

Originally Posted by IamMD

roll.gif

Fixed

But this is completely true
eyes.gif

He is top "rapper" out now to me....top 5 artist out right now.....but he doesn't have what it takes to surpass any of the all time greats.....

After scanning this, i think the word "classic" either needs to be redefined, or people need to look it up while listening to the albums that
are labelled classic.

Musically, I would say it could be near classic. Lyrically, with the mini-Wayne flow that he uses, not even close.

roll.gif

Although i don't think Drake would have a problem passing dudes like Jeezy, Ross or Game I pretty much agree with this

I really think OP's suggestion is more top 10 DOA based off contributions, it damn sure ain't skill. And even then I don't see Drake passing all those names you listed

Originally Posted by Jking0821

roll.gif

Fixed

eyes.gif

He is top "rapper" out now to me....top 5 artist out right now.....but he doesn't have what it takes to surpass any of the all time greats.....

LOL, how is that completely true?!  Drake is better than MOST people that dude listed.
indifferent.gif

Nas
Jay-z
Lupe Fiasco
Biggie
Eminem
Andre 3000
2Pac
Big Pun
J Cole
AZ

I dont think hell be better than any of these guys (not my top 10 btw)

Fixed

eyes.gif

LOL, how is that completely true?!  Drake is better than MOST people that dude listed.
indifferent.gif

Yessir..

laugh.gif

Once again...The point has gone over you're head....Did you NOT see that homie said he could relate to "N's in Paris"?

Of course I cant relate to "Miss me"....Never said I could either.... But to go as far as to say "Hip Hop doesnt need this"....Who the hell are they to make such a statement?....

Once again, who are YOU to tell people what and what not to relate to? I understood what he was saying. Don't think Deuce is a millionaire like Jay but he says he can relate to the certainly relatable emotion of Jay simply enjoying life, especially given his past.You're right about Drake's place in hip-hop though. IMO there's a place for it.

Kanyes Verse on "Made in America"> any Hov verse on WTT

You can't be serious champ.........you just can't be.

But to go as far as to say "Hip Hop doesnt need this"....Who the hell are they to make such a statement?....

Someone who obviously loves and appreciates the history of rap as you obviously don't with even having the audacity to even make this thread and pose this question to the public.

roll.gif

I'm about to set a bombshell with this, and this is coming from someone with a well versed music library...
He's better than A LOT of those dudes you mentioned already. He just hasn't been in the game for nearly as long and doesn't have the album count and accolades that these people have..
This.

Name another Rapper/Artist who's had THIS much buzz and was even CONSIDERED by ANYONE top 10-20 off their FIRST LP......Besides maybe Em'

He has ONLY ONE bar coded album under his belt...and we're debating about this...

are labelled classic.

Musically, I would say it could be near classic. Lyrically, with the mini-Wayne flow that he uses, not even close.

well if you're going to compare him to Wayne...Drake has WAY more substance than Wayne...how was it not lyrically a classic?

Fixed

eyes.gif

indifferent.gif

I am a drake fan (now), and he is better then all the current day rappers to me except Em, Lupe, Cudi, and a handful of others.  But he isn't better then any of the all time greats.  Which is why he will NEVER see top 10.

I don't care if you are going on Catelog or skill.  He isn't as skilled as the all time greats.  He will never have the charisma of Pac, he will never have the story telling skills of BIG he will never have the world play of Eminem.  He will never have the metaphors upon metaphors and just general depth of Lupe.  It just isn't happening.

But he is an exceptional artist.

Back
Top Bottom