*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Like the signing of Troy.
Y'all is tripping if you didn't see Baron balling with Clipps.
Its like he got his love of basketball back.

and he's going to love it even more if he plays for the Lakers! sign the guy... Although I wanted to ask u guys a question... do we still have money to sign free agents out right or do we have to trade for players in order to acquire them?
to sign an amnesty player like Bdiddy, we wouldn't have to pay him much.  The minimum should do it.  
It works like this, let's say Bdiddy is on contract for 15,000,000 a year.  Since Cleveland amnestied him, he still gets that money regardless, it just doesn't count toward their cap. 

So if we signed him for say 1,000,000.  Baron gets 1 mil from us, and 14 mil from Cleveland.  

Same goes for Arenas or any other player that gets amnestied.

It's pretty much like getting waived by a team, except it doesn't count toward your cap & teams under the cap have priority to pick you up.  If no one picks you up after a few days (like what Billups wanted to happen to him), then you can sign with whoever you want.

....Baron cant play for the Clipps the owner HATES him. dont you remember the owner getting fined a few years back for heckling his own player (Davis) during a game, calling him lazy and fat?

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

and he's going to love it even more if he plays for the Lakers! sign the guy... Although I wanted to ask u guys a question... do we still have money to sign free agents out right or do we have to trade for players in order to acquire them?
to sign an amnesty player like Bdiddy, we wouldn't have to pay him much.  The minimum should do it.  
It works like this, let's say Bdiddy is on contract for 15,000,000 a year.  Since Cleveland amnestied him, he still gets that money regardless, it just doesn't count toward their cap. 

So if we signed him for say 1,000,000.  Baron gets 1 mil from us, and 14 mil from Cleveland.  

Same goes for Arenas or any other player that gets amnestied.

It's pretty much like getting waived by a team, except it doesn't count toward your cap & teams under the cap have priority to pick you up.  If no one picks you up after a few days (like what Billups wanted to happen to him), then you can sign with whoever you want.
ohh ok...thanks for clearing that up! I really hope we get one of the two (Arenas or BDiddy) which makes me wonder which of those guys could play better D at this point in their careers?

Baron Davis definitely still has it..
He's the reason the Cavs beat the Heat last season.. he changed the pace of the game when he was in and made everyone better, some how.

Signing Baron would definitely be an upgrade from Fisher, who should come behind Blake.. I think Blake is going to have a rebound season.

No Triangle, No Pressure, Hungry from getting swept.. 

Barnes also. 

The signings of Troy and McBobs have semi fixed the gaping hole that is Lamar Odom.

Both can hit the 3, and McBobs is electric out there. Also allows us to actually give Pau and Bynum rest for the later stretches, no more 2 big man cycle. 

Artest... Metta World Peace, should be fully locked with his role as the bench leader, Smart move by Brown to keep Artest focused...

Kapono seems to still have what he needs to be consistent off the bench from the scrimmage and Ebanks is Trevor 2.0. He should be nasty on the defense..

Just sign Arenas or Baron Davis and I think we legit have a shot, especially if Kobe is back to the health they speak of now with his hops and etc. back. 

Could LA sign both Arenas and Davis? Or is Kapono going to be the backup for Kobe?

This season has a lot of optimism .. long as Luke Walton stays on the bench.

Originally Posted by khanthology

*Eddie Murphy voice* HALF!
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Kobe won't let this or anything else distract him.Baron Davis would be a good signing if he can ever get on the court.

Looks like Pau has been assured he won't be traded. Good.

Imagine if we didn't trade Lamar and signed Arenas, B Davis. Would've had a nasty bench.

i'd rather have arenas than baron.. he's overweight and having a back injury is not helping him at all.. besides, arenas didnt play well last year cause he didnt get any chance.. i think with kobe there, arenas would become agent zero again.. arenas is more explosive than davis.. always has been..

all the moves this season really makes me wish jerry west was back.. anyone know why josh mcroberts? and so many nbdl guys on the roster?

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Baron went with the Knicks ehh.... wonder if Mitch gonna pull the trigger on Arenas

I honestly doubt that he will do anything else with this roster. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by lakersreppa008

Baron went with the Knicks ehh.... wonder if Mitch gonna pull the trigger on Arenas

ohwell.gif
then maybe kobe needs to say something about it, because the roster they have now, is probably 3rd or 4th in the west.. especially after sending lamar to the defending champions.. that was the dumbest move ever

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

ohwell.gif
then maybe kobe needs to say something about it, because the roster they have now, is probably 3rd or 4th in the west.. especially after sending lamar to the defending champions.. that was the dumbest move ever

kobe wont say ##+#. you think he wants arenas taking the same exact dumb %!$ shots as he does himself? hell no. I really cant see Kobe's ego letting a player like arenas join the team.
kobe and arenas are the only dudes to ever pull that not shoot for a whole half then let off in the second. can you imagine these two numbnuts doing that at the same time? 
roll.gif

Kobe isn't going to lobby for ANY PG unless its a CP3 type player. Him and fish came in together and I don't think he wants him out unless you get an all star type player in return.  

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

ohwell.gif

kobe wont say ##+#. you think he wants arenas taking the same exact dumb %!$ shots as he does himself? hell no. I really cant see Kobe's ego letting a player like arenas join the team.
kobe and arenas are the only dudes to ever pull that not shoot for a whole half then let off in the second. can you imagine these two numbnuts doing that at the same time? 
roll.gif

You're talking about Arenas as if this were still 2002.

This is 2011, and the 2011 Arenas is the one we saw with the Magic who couldn't put the ball in the hole if he wanted too.

Guy is done. The only thing exciting about his game is what shoes he's going to wear.

^ Thank you. I've said that in the past, and dudes act like I'm crazy. Arenas and Kobe could definitely not be teammates, and it would definitely be all Arenas' fault. He cannot play with someone like Kobe, someone who demands hard work, puts in a ton of hours himself, someone who's basically all business, and an assassin on the court. Arenas cannot get with that. Period.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ Thank you. I've said that in the past, and dudes act like I'm crazy. Arenas and Kobe could definitely not be teammates, and it would definitely be all Arenas' fault. He cannot play with someone like Kobe, someone who demands hard work, puts in a ton of hours himself, someone who's basically all business, and an assassin on the court. Arenas cannot get with that. Period.

You are 100% correct.
People seem to be taking Kobe's work ethic for granted these days. Guy worked his *%% off to be the player he is, the same people that respect that type of work ethic in MJ are the same people who hate Kobe. 
laugh.gif

I got a little off topic there, but just felt it needed to be said.

Watching Lamar play in that Dallas uniform is just 
sick.gif

I really wish he wouldn't have acted the way he did. I really wish he would have just understood it was the bis of the NBA. Hell we have tried to trade Bynum every year since he's been here and he hasn't complained (publicly at least) once.

Heat Fan here, but how do you guys feel about your roster and do you feel that the squad is a title contender this year? I also forget Mike Brown is the new coach.

Originally Posted by tupac003

sick.gif

I really wish he wouldn't have acted the way he did. I really wish he would have just understood it was the bis of the NBA. Hell we have tried to trade Bynum every year since he's been here and he hasn't complained (publicly at least) once.
Management could of done more though to alleviate the situation instead of giving into his demands. Kobe demanded a traded. That didn't happen. In the end, management has the final say and they did it poorly. Jim Buss will be the death of me.

Originally Posted by goukiteg

Originally Posted by tupac003

sick.gif

Management could of done more though to alleviate the situation instead of giving into his demands. Kobe demanded a traded. That didn't happen. In the end, management has the final say and they did it poorly. Jim Buss will be the death of me.

I agree but its 50/50. He told them he wasn't going to show up. I can't blame them for moving a player that tells you he isn't going to show up...

nobody's questioning kobe's work ethic.. but some of y'all are most definitely questioning arenas' work ethic.. if ya'll dont remember him being with the warriors and working his way to superstar status and then showcasing that with the wizards.. he did fell off after knee surgery, but he didnt get much of an opportunity either in orlando.. i think kobe would be a great motivator for arenas.. and that might straighten him out. if only kobe's work ethic would rub off on other players, cause to me bynum is a bum.. with his body and hands he should have be a combo of kareem and shaq.. he's a 70,6% free throw shooter, but lazy as hell

any player is an upgrade over fisher, as much as i like him. he's just too slow to keep up with other guards.

People have quoted my last reply a couple times and used it to mainly talk about Kobe's work ethic compared to Gilbert's, but that's not what I meant in saying that Kobe and Arenas could absolutely not coexist.

I just meant that who Arenas is… and I'm not saying good or bad, just who he is… that would absolutely not work with Kobe.

- Arenas is the class clown; Kobe is literally the kid who is obsessively obsessed with being valedictorian. Does that mean Kobe doesn't like to have fun? Hell no. But Kobe is UNDENIABLY more business than fun, and Arenas is UNDENIABLY the class clown.

- It's a shame that you can spell 'Kobe Bryant' without using a D; it's fitting that you can spell 'Gilbert Arenas' without using a D.

- Kobe is the opponen'ts main focus on defense; not Pau, not Bynum, not Odom (
frown.gif
). The other team is focused on Kobe at all times. After a while, Arenas would definitely have a problem with that, I guarantee it. I can see him being given a backseat role on a roster that includes Kobe Bryant; I just can't see him comfortably, willingly, and more important, permanently accepting it.

Back
Top Bottom