16-Year-Old Turns Down Harvard AND Stanford to go to FAMU vol. yes..........FAMU

Originally Posted by 200biz

i guess he didn't want the pressures of being at an ivy league school

/thread

maybe he wants to enjoy college, he knows he'll be at top at FAMU

you don't need to go to ivy league to successful

Originally Posted by NooEra

Originally Posted by marath0n

And there's nothing really to rebuttal
laugh.gif

You came in here bragging about your SAT score. Where's your point?
sick.gif

grin.gif

Happens every time.

????
Rebuttal is a noun, you can't rebuttal something. You can rebut, which is a verb, smart guy.
wink.gif

laugh.gif

sick.gif

grin.gif

Happens every time.

????
Really son? Nothing to rebuttal?

Rebuttal is a noun. Rebut is a verb.  "Master simple english." Sound familiar?

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Something is really off. I took the SAT when I was 15, and got pretty good score (1420/1600). There at least 5 people that scored higher then me in my class, so it's not a big deal. And no disrespect to anyone that goes to this school, but which one in this list doesn't fit? Howard, Fort Valley State, Morehouse, Harvard. Both articles seem to be written by FAMU staff so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to stretch the truth to make there school look better (you know, considering the sex tape and all).

laugh.gif
Okay smart guy. Master simple English before you type out such a response.
Reach%20Out.JPEG

So out of everything in my response, you pick out one typo?
eyes.gif
Womp, womp. I'm 21 years old, I understand the difference between their, there, and they're. You're trying way too hard for a laugh.

How about then and than? Trying for a laugh? Not at all, I just think it's funny how everyone's bashing dude for his decision. I would be willing to bet that most of you aren't doing it nearly as big as he is.

Like I said before, at the end of the day, the kid is extremely intelligent and will be doing big things regardless of the college he chose to attend.
When did I bash him? When did I say the kid was an idiot? Since when did typos on an internet message dictate my intelligence? I question the accuracy of the story because there are some red flags. That's bashing? Get out of here...

laugh.gif

Wait, so me saying there were people that scored higher than I did and saying that the score wasn't a big deal is me bragging about my score?... No, I was stating that it's not an uncommon score. I've seen people get rejected from Ivy League schools with that score. So what the hell are you talking about again?

I never said you were bashing him, I said everyone else was. Yes, others in this thread have been throwing salt.

You said "there was like five kids in my class that scored higher". No one cares son
laugh.gif
It's not like you came in here and said you were the middle of your class, you wanted to make a point that you were top ten in your class like that means something and you're just as smart as this kid. 1420/1600 is a good score. It's a score to be proud of. Clearly you knew this and wanted everyone else to know as well.

At the end of the day, it's not even about SAT's . It's about your GPA and extra curricular activities. If i remember correctly, Wake Forest doesn't even require SAT's anymore, as well as many other fine educational institutions in our country. I'd be willing to bet this kid had a 4.0 in high school, all kinds of extra @%** on the side, and crazy good recommendations.

He obviously has a legitimate reason for attending FAMU over the other schools he could have chosen from. Let him live. Him > you.

laugh.gif

sick.gif

grin.gif

Happens every time.

????

Okay, you got me. Unlike others I can admit when i'm wrong, and unlike others I never claimed to be just as smart as dude in the article. C'mon son.

laugh.gif

sick.gif

grin.gif

Happens every time.

????

Okay, you got me. Unlike others I can admit when i'm wrong, and unlike others I never claimed to be just as smart as dude in the article. C'mon son.
My $0.02.
Nobody claimed to be smarter than dude. People just realized that he got accepted to an institution that 93% of applicants fail to get into, and he turned it down, for seemingly superficial reasons.  He may be smart but he didn't have enough insight to pull the trigger on a good opportunity when it presented itself to him.
Harvard education > FAMU education. Not even in the same ballpark.

You're reaching so hard it's ridiculous. I said something sounds funny about this story, so that' why I posted my stats. Why do you feel the need to put words in my mouth? And a 4.0, all kinds of extra %#*+ on the side, and crazy good recommendations is the normal Ivy League applicant. How is it hard to understand? I would post what I did but then I would be bragging according to you. There's about 3 other users that posted their stats because they have the same questions. At no point did I say anything bad about this kid. I questioned the article. That was all. Why are you making this bigger than it really is? You tell me to "Master Simple English" and attack me when you can't even tell the difference between a noun and a verb. I even made light about your typo because it's not a big deal yet you continue to put words in my mouth. Fall back kid.

The article says he got a 4 year all expenses paid scholarship to FAMU...
It doesn't mention he got scholarships to the other Ivy league schools, just accepted....
....Why not go to FAMU, graduate 1st in your class, have no debt, pull some bad jawns, then go to a great Grad school?

^Least Debt - National Universities:
School, % of grads with debt, Average amount of debt
Princeton University (NJ) 26% $4,965
California Institute of Technology 34% $5,156
Harvard University (MA) 42% $9,717

You really think this cat (who I never said isn't smart) wouldn't have received most scholarships he would have applied for? Ivys don't give merit scholarships but I'm sure Bill and Melinda Gates could have thrown a 4-year his way or one of the tons of other organizations would have looked at his application with praise.

Do you know how hard it is to graduate FIRST in one's class? Laughable expectations. NO ONE should expect to do that.

You're reaching so hard it's ridiculous. I said something sounds funny about this story, so that' why I posted my stats. Why do you feel the need to put words in my mouth? And a 4.0, all kinds of extra %#*+ on the side, and crazy good recommendations is the normal Ivy League applicant. How is it hard to understand? I would post what I did but then I would be bragging according to you. At no point did I say anything bad about this kid. I questioned the article. That was all. Why are you making this bigger than it really is? You tell me to "Master Simple English" and attack me when you can't even tell the difference between a noun and a verb. I even made light about your typo because it's not a big deal yet you continue to put words in my mouth. Fall back kid.

Let me fall back and admit I was wrong. I was wrong. Stupid of me to come at you for a simple typo when i'm not the best when it comes to writing myself
laugh.gif

All i was saying is that dude got a free ride, and is clearly extremely smart. Just seems that everyone in the thread is questioning dudes choices when it's pretty clear why he chose FAMU. Full ride. 120,000 dollars.

Originally Posted by rhester

It doesn't mention he got scholarships to the other Ivy league schools, just accepted....
....Why not go to FAMU, graduate 1st in your class, have no debt, pull some bad jawns, then go to a great Grad school?

because Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, and Google don't even know FAMU exist?
laugh.gif

I would have taken the debt from Morehouse as an investment to my future success.

Notice I didn't even mention Harvard or Stanford.

Originally Posted by 1NyceBalla

Dude should enjoy his 4 years at FAMU...then get his masters and phd at an Ivy league school...sounds good to me....

first thing came to mind...best of both worlds

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by rhester

because Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, and Google don't even know FAMU exist?
laugh.gif

I would have taken the debt from Morehouse as an investment to my future success.

Notice I didn't even mention Harvard or Stanford.

Ok mods, lock this up.

Originally Posted by kidposite

idiot

and 2,120 out of 2,400 on the SATs really isn't that great...
Exactly. There are thousands of kids in his position who would've given anything to go to Harvard or Stanford with scores like that. The fact that kids with perfect scores even get rejected makes it even more appalling...but maybe they didn't have such tempting scholarship packages.

yall trying to downplay his SAT score but he got accepted into harvard......so unless you have been accepted too then you need to shut the %%!+ up

Hell, I got a 2080 on the SAT. If I got accepted to Harvard or Stanford I'd consider myself the luckiest guy in the world. I ain't salty but that guy just about slapped over a 100,000 kids in the face through the internet.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

yall trying to downplay his SAT score but he got accepted into harvard......so unless you have been accepted too then you need to shut the %%!+ up

im gonna go ahead and agree with this. we dont know his reasons for turning harvard down. all we can do is speculate

Enh my cousin was in the same position and chose UNC Chapel Hill instead. Both, four years free.
She said Harvard was a great school but came off very bland.
She's still happy with her decision graduating at 20.

^That's at least reasonable. UNC Chapel Hill is one of the best public schools out there.

Oh and unless I'm missing something, this kid has a below average SAT score for Harvard and does not have any high-grade accomplishments besides graduating early. He isn't a Seimens-Westinghouse finalist or whatever nor did he go to a great HS. I can speculate what helped him get into Harvard but I'll just let you know the acronym URM exists for a reason. Again, he is still smart but don't go acting like people can't talk about his decision. I know I can.

Originally Posted by oidreez

im gonna go ahead and agree with this. we dont know his reasons for turning harvard down. all we can do is speculate
yeah...its not like definitely could have gone for free either. Harvard ain't cheap.

Originally Posted by oidreez

yeah...its not like definitely could have gone for free either. Harvard ain't cheap.

Back
Top Bottom