2008 CDP Reflection Thread. What did it really mean? Has JB tarnished its significance?

Don't post in the JB forum too much, but its humorous to see people thinking quality issues started back with the CDP pack. When I first joined NT back in 04, EVERYONE hated on the crap quality from JB.

As for the CDPs, poorly executed, but it did pave the way for future price increases as everyone has said. I still need to get my hands on XVIIIs though - really a shame the black/red wasn't originally released. And funny to reflect on how few "OG" colorways there were back then. XVIIIs (excluding lows) had 3 if I remember correctly.

^^^ I said the same thing to myself not too long ago. Nike throws out several color ways of their players sigs. Probably because collectors thrive for the original colors and luckily there will be several.

Leather Blk/Red XVIII's would be phenomenal.

I think JB used this as a test market program. This the only time ever JB re-released EVERY model to the public in a single year. I think Nike wanted to see how people/sellers split packs and follow the aftermarket to see what models will sell the fastest for the highest prices and what models will sit.

Seeing shoes like the IV and VI sell for $400-600 while XVIIs and XIX barely moved for $100 gives JB no incentive to retro newer models that not only cost more to produce but dont sell as well when they can keep pumping out the same 25y/o shoes for double original retail. :smh:

IMO this is why we saw a huge hiatus in 2009 and now this massive influx in retros.

All of this. JB saw they hype of the older models selling more then the pack itself. I believe they rumored the end of retroes to create more product interest, while chalking up marketing plans for the retro flooded market we see today.

Last edited:
I also heard this end of retros rumor. Didn't think JB would give up its gravy train but they hardly released anything the first few months of 2009. I thought I'd have to get a pair those 2009s
mean.gif

end of retros rumor was so JB could push out fusions & NO RETRO's to see how they would sell

at the same time

they were dropping every cw on the fusions to see if they would see out & most did (i remember seeing a LONG line for fusion aqua viii's)

& in turn they knew they could push out bs with classic colorways & then turn around "change" thier minds about no retros & then milk them in every colorway

end of retros rumor was so JB could push out fusions & NO RETRO's to see how they would sell

at the same time

they were dropping every cw on the fusions to see if they would see out & most did (i remember seeing a LONG line for fusion aqua viii's)

& in turn they knew they could push out bs with classic colorways & then turn around "change" thier minds about no retros & then milk them in every colorway
That's  actually not a bad idea. Shifting those awful fusions and then releasing retros. It's a shame Nike's quality isn't as good as its marketing. I bet some of these dudes that purchased fusions just thought they were the new jordans or whatever. Happened to me when I first started buying jordans back in 1996-97. I bought the jumpman team pro in black gold white. I was really excited because I thought they were actual jordans from the sig line. Had no idea about team jordans etc.back then. I was so disappointed when I found they weren't sig jordans. Balled in them a bit, then got a pippen shoe, not the 1, something with a 33 on the tongue. After that I wanted the XIII white red, loved that shoe. This dude was supposed to get them for me but it took forevere and I needed a balling shoe so settled for the air zoom flight 98. My all time favourite.

I finallt got the retro xiii last year. I know it's not as good as an OG but I wasn't feeling anything about it. The new shape was a bit off and that darker red didn't do it for me. And they were so uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I was in college and took a break from sneakers, it seems like from all your posts I wasn't missing much!

I was in college and took a break from sneakers, it seems like from all your posts I wasn't missing much!
I got back into it last year after stopping back in 2003. Main differences: it's a lot harder to get anything and the quality is so bad once you get it you don't really want it. 

And it's not just jordans. The 2012 hyperdunk was like a pillow with the lunarlon cushioning which totally sucks. I suspect nike only used it because it's cheaper than zoom. And the cheap, nasty plastic they used for "increased performance" was just another gimmick to cut costs

i think you only really missed the shadows, hares, carmines, and the xvis and the xvis might retro in that colorway next year.

It seems like most of the brands concepts are sloppy....from the CDPs, DMPs, to the BIN 23 series. The concepts could be epic, but the actual execution is flawed. I honestly believe that the people in charge of JB have little to zero knowledge in the history of their product or what made them great in the first place.

Of course, neither does the majority of their customer base.

I purchased most of the CDPs except (1/22), (2/21), (9/14)..

I recently sold the 5's to finance some yeezys and I lost the 18s in a dice game.

The (10/13) pack was beat to oblivion and then given away. I split the (6/17) pack with a friend.

The only ones I couldn't get a deal on were the (11/12)..

Everything else I got some kind of discount on..

I had doubles of a few these but they got pawned off over time..

Here is what I have left..

I would say that the re-releases definitely made me less enthusiastic about the brand..

But looking back.. I'm glad I made these purchases.. I got most for under retail..

The quality on the stuff JB re-released isn't better so I feel like JB saved me time/money..

It seems like most of the brands concepts are sloppy....from the CDPs, DMPs, to the BIN 23 series. The concepts could be epic, but the actual execution is flawed. I honestly believe that the people in charge of JB have little to zero knowledge in the history of their product or what made them great in the first place.

This is true, few years back when they did the 60 + pack they got the date wrong for the game against orlando

I purchased most of the CDPs except (1/22), (2/21), (9/14)..

I recently sold the 5's to finance some yeezys and I lost the 18s in a dice game.

The (10/13) pack was beat to oblivion and then given away. I split the (6/17) pack with a friend.

The only ones I couldn't get a deal on were the (11/12)..

Everything else I got some kind of discount on..

I had doubles of a few these but they got pawned off over time..

Here is what I have left..

I would say that the re-releases definitely made me less enthusiastic about the brand..

But looking back.. I'm glad I made these purchases.. I got most for under retail..

The quality on the stuff JB re-released isn't better so I feel like JB saved me time/money..
Those 16s are fresh. Only got the 11/12s myself, both are long gone.

I would give you a hundred +1s if I could.

I got back into it last year after stopping back in 2003. Main differences: it's a lot harder to get anything and the quality is so bad once you get it you don't really want it. 
And it's not just jordans. The 2012 hyperdunk was like a pillow with the lunarlon cushioning which totally sucks. I suspect nike only used it because it's cheaper than zoom. And the cheap, nasty plastic they used for "increased performance" was just another gimmick to cut costs

They are running the Lunarlon crap on everything because it is cheaper to produce as you suggested. The manufacturing process is slightly less complicated due to not having an 'Air' unit in the shoe. Lunarlon by itself is just the re-invention and re-marketing (at a higher price point) of the old Cushlon-only or Phylon-only setups that Nike would run on their entry level product.

I bolded one of your statements as it is the truth. I wish I had realized it sooner instead of continuing to buy retro crap well into 2010.

This is true, few years back when they did the 60 + pack they got the date wrong for the game against orlando

they didnt even bother to fix the issue either :lol:

i remember the draft day kobes a couple years ago had the wrong date. they fixed the date with the quickness.

It's just a damn shame what JB is doing to itself as company and a business. Re-releasing cw's that we've all known and seen. Then producing new cw's that are just horrendous. I am eager to see what JB will do for the next 5 years and how well they can uphold what they are currently doing right now.

I don't get any of the new retros anymore and the last retro I picked up was the Cool Grey 11's from 2010. It's a damn shame :smh:

Good ole days?

The good ole days ended in about 2001, my friend.

The beginning of the hypebeast in 2008?

This is from 2004, by the way.

View media item 379824

Whoa! I remember seeing that illustration from back in the day. Way before I even joined here on NT. Damn, has it really been 9 years since that drawing was produced. :nerd: Man, this site is everlasting!!! :smokin

...i struggle to find a difference other than the red plastic insert and cdp having the CDP insole...

Seconded. I wish everyone had a chance to see and/or hold an OG XI or even the '01 retro.

Ive owned 95/96, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2009,2010, and 2011 XIs. The newest black/reds silver anniversary's are the only XIs Ive missed on RD in over 10 years.

As someone who buys shoes to wear them (and I mean really WEAR THEM OUT). I can tell you there was a HUGE drop in quality for the CDPs and SJs made in 2008/2009 when compared to all other XIs. In addition to the peeling 23s, JB really skimped on the patent making the toeboxes look tiny and pointy and making the shoes fit nearly a full size too small.

i'd really like to see what happens for the 23rd anniversary of the vii and the viii since they retroed most of the colorways more than once

referring to

black/red vii- 3times
cardinal vii- 2times
oly vii- 3times
aqua viii- 2times
playoff viii- 2times
white/red/blue viii- 3times

Back
Top Bottom