2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

After days of negotiating that were going so bad that talks had already been started to match Kelly Pavlik and Giovanni Lorenzo in June, a financial deal was reached late last night to match Pavlik and John Duddy.

However, very early on Sunday morning, the cut that Duddy suffered in his bout against Walid Smichet was deemed too deep and severe and he will not be fighting against Pavlik in June, according to Team Duddy.

The likely opponent is Giovanni Lorenzo, according to Team Pavlik.

The bout also might not be held at Madison Square Garden. With Lorenzo the likely opponent and not Duddy, the bout might be moved to Ohio or at least closer to Pavlik's hometown of Youngstown, Ohio.

Mike
www.TheKnockoutNetwork.com
Check out the Knockout Blog for Updated Boxing News

yea, Winky Vs. Pavlik would be a very interesting fight imo...

Anyone else think Duddy got a "gift" decision? I know they didn't televise the fight, but all you had to do is look at their faces when the fightwas over...

Duddy might have "won", but he knows damn well he didnt win any FIGHT...if he goes against Pavlik, he's gonna lose 10 years off his life in braindamage...hell, he cud even lose the next 40-50 years of his life and go out like Apollo Creed
smh.gif

I don't think Winky - Pavlik happens due to the money not being their for Wright. I'm not really sure what kinda of payday Winky is expecting outtheir

ohwell.gif

Winky is going to price himself out of whatever fight comes his way guarantee it. Couldn't be more upset over last night's fight, I couldn't helpthinking Lewis could walk into the ring and just knock both of them out. Duddy looked awful, I did eat my words I remember everyone in here saying how awfulDuddy was and me thinking you were all crazy.

From what i heard from people who saw that fight in person or online somewhere, Duddy did legitimately win that fight, and was starting to tee off on hisopponent late, but got hit WAY too often by a journeyman, which is his biggest problem. His defense is terrible.

About Lennox probably just going in there taking out Sultan with the quickness, i have to disagree. Maybe its because the division is so bad now, but peopleforgetting that Lewis took flak a lot for not being as aggressive as he should and not getting guys out of there as quickly as he could have. They referred tohis fight with Zeljko Mavrovic many times because of the similarities.

Does anyone know how much Winky made when he fought Hopkins?

Winky should take the Pavlik fight if it is offered because Pavlik is at the peak right now.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Las Vegas likely location for Mosley-Judah fight in May[/h1]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 25, 2008, 7:00 PM ET

Former welterweight champions "Sugar" Shane Mosley and Zab Judah, both in need of a marquee victory, have agreed to fight.

They'll meet May 31 on HBO PPV in a scheduled 12-round bout, probably in Las Vegas, although the venue has not been finalized, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

"The fight is made," Schaefer told ESPN.com on Monday. "The fight is signed."

Mosley and Judah both possess speed and power, have been in numerous exciting fights and faced high-quality competition throughout their careers. But both are coming off losses to welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto at New York's Madison Square Garden in their most recent high profile fights.

Mosley (44-5, 37 KOs) challenged Cotto in November but lost a close decision in an all-action bout. Last June, Cotto knocked out Judah (36-5, 25 KOs) in the 11th round in another exciting fight. Judah rebounded with a pair of victories against obscure opponents.

"I think that it's a big fight and I think it will be an exciting fight for a few rounds," Mosley told ESPN.com, predicting a knockout. "I'm excited to go to camp. Zab brings exciting fights. So do I. We'll make it exciting."

Schaefer said the card will be titled "High Stakes" because both fighters are in a must-win situation if they want to continue their careers at the elite level.

"I think it is a must-win for them," he said. "That's what we are trying to put together -- must-win situations for each fight on the pay-per-view. I think when you have these kind of fights where it's must win, you have two cornered tigers going at it and that's when they're most dangerous. They know exactly what is at stake. A win for Shane over Zab Judah and he's right back in the mix with all the big names, and the same true for Zab. That's why it's a very a compelling fight."

Schaefer said another fight planned for the card is a junior lightweight match between former titlist Jorge Barrios (47-3-1, 34 KOs) and perennial contender Rocky Juarez, two other fighters in need of a notable victory.

Barrios, 31, lost his title to Joan Guzman in September 2006 and has fought just once since, a hometown fight in Argentina before a long layoff caused by a tears in each of his retinas.

Juarez (27-4, 19 KOs) is coming off a lopsided loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in a junior lightweight title bout in November. Juarez, 27, is 0-4 in title fights.

"That fight is another example of a high stakes fight," Schaefer said. "A loss for Barrios and I think that's it. A loss for Juarez, and I think that's it, too."

The rest of the card hasn't been solidified but Schaefer said two other bouts being discussed -- both of which fit the high stakes theme -- are a rematch between junior featherweight titleholders Celestino Caballero and Daniel Ponce De Leon and a rematch of the blazing third-season finale of "The Contender" between Sakio Bika and Jaidon Codrington.

Although Golden Boy doesn't promote Bika or Codrington, Schaefer said he's been in touch with "Contender" promoter Jeff Wald about making the fight.

"I really want to put together a whole card where every fight means a lot," Schaefer said. "So that's what we're trying to do."

Mosley said his ultimate goal is a rematch with Cotto.

"I'm just trying to get back in there with Cotto and fight him again because I believe I can take him, so this is a real must-win for me," Mosley said. "There are a lot of great fights out there that I want to be in the mix for, so it's important. It's important for me and Zab. I cant wait. It's going to be fun."

Judah emerged as Mosley's opponent after a negotiations with fellow former champ Ricardo Mayorga fell apart and talks with newly crowned titlist Carlos Quintana never really got off the ground.

"I was supposed to fight Mayorga but [his promoter] Don King wasn't really helpful in that fight, so we couldn't make the fight," Mosley said. "So then it came down to Judah and Quintana. We thought Zab was a bigger fight even though it wasn't for a title. I think Zab's a bigger name. Maybe I can fight Quintana later. I'd like that. But right now, it's Judah. It's a done deal. We'll go out there and mix it up."

Since Las Vegas is the likely location of the fight, Mosley and Judah were both on the agenda at the Nevada State Athletic Commission meeting on Monday.

Executive director Keith Kizer said that Mosley, 36, was approved for a Nevada license at the meeting. Fighters who reach that age much be approved in a commission vote.

Judah, 30, appeared before the commission and, by a vote of 4-0 (the fifth commissioner was absent), was granted the ability to reapply for a license.

Judah hasn't fought in Nevada since April 2006, when he had his license revoked and was fined $250,000 after instigating a melee during the 10th round of his bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. Judah twice fouled Mayweather in the round, prompting Mayweather's trainer and uncle, Roger Mayweather, to enter the ring during the round. It led to a brawl between corners and nearly caused a riot inside the Thomas & Mack Center.

It was Judah's second suspension for unsportsmanlike conduct during a fight in Las Vegas.

"The commission gave Mr. Judah a stern warning," Kizer said. "They told him that another incident would not be tolerated and Zab understood. He's had four fights since that incident and been sportsmanlike, so he was given permission to reapply for a license. He'll be doing that shortly."

Dan Rafael is the senior boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Mosley is destroy Judah. I also heard that Shane wants a rematch with Cotto. I felt their first fight was a draw and Mosley could've done better.

LOS ANGELES -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a champion boxer and has tested his moves on "Dancing With the Stars." Now the man many consider the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is preparing to drop the gloves and do some wrasslin.'

A $20 million payday awaits the undefeated WBC welterweight champion when he takes on Big Show as part of WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" at Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on March 30.

"It's entertainment. You have a chance to just be you and do what you want to do," Mayweather said Monday after a chaotic Staples Center event that masqueraded as a news conference.

The boxer nicknamed "Money" clearly likes the way WWE does business.

"Wrestling takes care of business right on the spot," Mayweather said. "Whatever they say they're going to do, they do it right on the spot. There's no waiting three, four, five months. Quick results, quick money. Quick big money, too."

His manager Leonard Ellerbee and WWE executive Shane McMahon confirmed Mayweather's eight-figure payday for the outdoor match to be shown on live on pay-per-view.

Mayweather incited the couple hundred of already hyped fans at Staples Center by whipping out a thick wad of cash and repeatedly tossing $100, $50 and $20 bills into the crowd that had nearly as many women as men.

[+] Enlarge

Jesse Grant/WireImage

Floyd Mayweather, shown February 18 with WWE star Big Show, will get another crack in the wrestling ring March 30 at WrestleMania XXIV in Orlando, Fla.

A mad scramble ensued, with a light pole nearly getting knocked over and two small children caught in the chaos. One lucky man emerged from the pileup clutching six $100 bills.

Mayweather played to the frenzied crowd after appearing from behind a black curtain wearing a New York Yankees jacket and cap. Fans shouted insults and the name of hometown hero Oscar De La Hoya at Mayweather.

"I run Vegas and I run L.A. and I will run the WWE," he boasted.

At 5-foot-8, 150 pounds, Mayweather gives up big numbers to the bald Big Show, who stands 7-feet and weighs 430.

"I weigh three times as much as he does," Big Show crowed. "It's not fair, but I'm a businessman and I see an opportunity for business."

Then he picked up the wooden podium and tossed it to the floor, where it splintered and the attached two mics lay like broken sticks. Clearly, Staples Center officials hadn't expected the move.

Mayweather hopped onto a chair and exchanged glares with Big Show while WWE regulars Randy Orton, John Cena, Triple H and Edge looked on, witnessing a newcomer who clearly understands the theatrics of modern-day wrestling.

"WWE is the biggest it gets," Mayweather said. "This is going to be an event like none other."

Ellerbee scoffed that hard-core boxing fans won't take Mayweather seriously after his WWE antics.

"After March 30, when Floyd goes out and takes care of his business at WrestleMania, he's still going to be the best fighter in the world and the face of boxing," he said. "Tell me what changes about that? Nothing changes."

The wrestling gig is another part of Ellerbee's carefully crafted plan to expand Mayweather's fan base.

"Either I'm going to be a genius with this or I'm the biggest idiot," he said. "Boxers have such a short window of opportunity. He can't become any bigger in boxing."

That's why Ellerbee snagged Mayweather a spot on ABC's reality hit "Dancing With the Stars." Mayweather didn't win the disco ball trophy, but he wasn't the first one voted off, either.

"It crossed him over and took him into the households of many middle-aged Middle Americans and turned him into a mainstream superstar," Ellerbee said. "Now when Floyd goes into the grocery store, the first thing 65-year-old ladies say is, `You're Floyd from 'Dancing With the Stars.'"

Mayweather plans to train with WWE Latino star Ray Mysterio, who wears a mask on his face.

"I'm outside the box," he said, lapsing into the third person. "Floyd Mayweather is not just a fighter, he's an entertainer. That's what the world must know."

But he hasn't forgotten his night job.

Mayweather alluded to a possible rematch with De La Hoya in September. De La Hoya lost a split decision in their last bout May 5.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

A $20 million payday awaits the undefeated WBC welterweight champion when he takes on Big Show as part of WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" at Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on March 30.

Floyd gettin away with highway robbery

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

No talk about the upcoming Israel Vasquez and Rafael Marquez bout this Saturday? Those two cats are going to kill each other once again.

Originally Posted by rock4light

No talk about the upcoming Israel Vasquez and Rafael Marquez bout this Saturday? Those two cats are going to kill each other once again.
Friday and Saturday got a gang of fights to watch

Allan Green on FNF
Robert Guerrero vs. Jason Litzau on Showtime Friday
Vasquez - Marquez - Saturday

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by rock4light

Friday and Saturday got a gang of fights to watch

Allan Green on FNF
Robert Guerrero vs. Jason Litzau on Showtime Friday
Vasquez - Marquez - Saturday

pimp.gif
Fight talk usually picks towards the end of the week.

That Guerrero v. Litzau fight is going to be awesome. Someone, most likely Litzau, is going to sleep.

i never new about the joe louis story till i watched it last night. was sad as hell. the part i didnt see was how did he get in debt with the IRS in the 1stplace?

I cant blame Floyd for taking 20mil i would in a heartbeat , but lets focus on the real Vazquez-Marquez III this weekend
happy.gif
happy.gif
pimp.gif
Shotime showed the firstfight last night and I got hyped up all over again this will be brutal i wont even make a pick because they are so evenly matched . Im glad arum is pullingDuddy cause he'd get ruined by Pavlik . On a side note can who in the southside of hell cuts Manny Stewarts hair cause if cut (or lack thereof ) washorrible .

A crush of fight fans are expected to turn out for Manny Pacquiao's Media Day in San Francisco on Wednesday.

Pacquiao, chief trainer Freddie Roach and assistants will take a private jet from Burbank, Calif. to San Francisco for the open workout. Pacquiao will speak to fight press first, then get into the ring to shake out. Fight fans there are invited to attend.

Here are the details:
MANNY PACQUIAO MEDIA DAY
Wednesday, Feb. 27 12:30 pm
Titanium Training Center
1436 Polk Street @ California
San Francisco

The WBC has released its February ratings and undefeated middleweight contender Giovanni Lorenzo (26-0, 18 KOs) has been installed as the #1 mandatory challenger to WBC champion Kelly Pavlik.

Lorenzo says he wants to make it clear that he wants to fight Pavlik "today" and not wait for the mandatory term to expire. "Everyone knows that a fight between me and Kelly will be an all action, knockdown fight," said Lorenzo. "Someone's 0 will have to go and most definitely it will be by brutal knockout.

I was the first one to congratulate Kelly back stage after he won the title in September, and I will be the first one to take it from him on June 7th....if he can get his promoter to agree to the fight."

I don't know who this guy is anybody know if he is any good?

DE LA HOYA-FORBES PRESSCON PHOTOS!

PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2008

delahoya-forbes.01.330w.jpg

Oscar De La Hoya and Steve Forbes pose for the media today at a press conference to announce De La Hoya vs. Forbes May 3rd, 2008 fight to be held at theoutdoor stadium at the Home Deport Center in Carson, California televised on HBO.

delahoya-forbes.02.400w.jpg

Steve Forbes and Oscar De La Hoya addresses the media today at a press conference to announce De La Hoya vs. Forbes May 3rd, 2008 fight to be held at theoutdoor stadium at the Home Deport Center in Carson, California televised on HBO.

delahoya-forbes.03.400w.jpg

Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather Sr (Oscar's trainer) and Steve Forbes pose for the media today at a press conference to announce De La Hoya vs. ForbesMay 3rd, 2008 fight to be held at the outdoor stadium at the Home Deport Center in Carson, California televised on HBO.

delahoya-forbes.04.400w.jpg

Oscar De La Hoya and Steve Forbes go face to face at a press conference to announce De La Hoya vs. Forbes May 3rd, 2008 fight to be held at the outdoor stadiumat the Home Deport Center in Carson, California televised on HBO.

im have to get tickets for that. heard they going to be cheap so going to have to get on it early before all of mexico JR gets it

Shotime showed the first fight last night and I got hyped up all over again this will be brutal i wont even make a pick because they are so evenly matched .

Is it on demand? I don't have Showtime I was just planning to buy it for the weekend, got the 2nd fight on tape but not the 1st. I'm going withVasquez.

i dont know if it was on Demand , Showtime will run previous fights leading up to the big fight , sometime they will just put on replays of good fights fromthe last few years .

Oh ok. I didn't know if it worked like HBO, they'll show the fighters greatest hits and then maybe a significant fight or two from the past. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom