2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Id rather see Edson Miranda Knock JT Out.
laugh.gif

PAVLIK aka mister imma bang on anybody even miranda checked himself that 2nd fight with extra precaution and that wasnt for a title fight so he was basicallyfree to let his hands go

jermains power is bottled up in the body of a cautious fighter but i doubt theres a anybody that wants to brawl(only thing miranda can do) against taylor.jermains power is very underrated

Hopefully Zab can perform at the same level he did against Cotto. I've always been a fan of Super Judah, I just wonder sometimes what could've been...

Agreed but everytime I write him off and say I am done, I end up rooting for him in his next fight. This one will be tough though because I am a big fan ofboth.

MayweatherMiami what are you still doing in this post?

I wonder if Roy Jones Jr. would even fight Taylor. It is definitely a fight that I would like to see but I wonder if the $$$ is there.

I dont know about Allan Green anymore. He didnt look right against Miranda and we later found out why but even after that he hasn't looked good. IfPavlik is going to stay at 160 to cash some of those belt holder checks then at 168 I want to see either Miranda v. Taylor or Kessler v. Taylor.

MayweatherMiami what are you still doing in this post?
Word

I dont know about Allan Green anymore. He didnt look right against Miranda and we later found out why but even after that he hasn't looked good. If Pavlik is going to stay at 160 to cash some of those belt holder checks then at 168 I want to see either Miranda v. Taylor or Kessler v. Taylor.

I would like to see Taylor vs RJJ, since Miranda has Pascal on his schedule in June and probably won't be available til late 2008

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

I dont know about Allan Green anymore. He didnt look right against Miranda and we later found out why but even after that he hasn't looked good. If Pavlik is going to stay at 160 to cash some of those belt holder checks then at 168 I want to see either Miranda v. Taylor or Kessler v. Taylor.

I would like to see Taylor vs RJJ, since Miranda has Pascal on his schedule in June and probably won't be available til late 2008

Forgot about that Miranda v. Pascal fight. I might contemplate going up to Montreal to catch that live. It would be interesting. Checking Rafael'sTop 10 Super Middles:
1. Joe Calzaghe
2. Mikel Kessler
3. Lucian Bute
4. Anthony Mundine
5. Jeff Lacy
6. Allan Green
7. Carl Froch
8. Librado Andrade
9. Edison Miranda
10. Dennis Inkin
Rafael seems to think that a Jeff Lacy v. Taylor fight makes sense but I am not so sure. Lacy ever since getting destroyed by Calzaghe andhurting his shoulder has looked awful. The fight would make alot of sense for Taylor considering it would be his 1st at 168 and the fact that Lacy just maybeisnt that good anymore, or was never that good in the 1st place. Gives him a chance to get used to the weight, fighters that size and perhaps springboard intoa fight with Kessler or one of the top Super Middles.

Who knows at this point where Taylor goes from here after back to back losses. Him taking an extended break until September or perhaps later doesnt seem toofar fetched.

Who knows at this point where Taylor goes from here after back to back losses. Him taking an extended break until September or perhaps later doesnt seem too far fetched.

I hope that's the route he goes or at least take a tune up fight before stepping up to the likes of Kessler.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Can Klitschko's jab keep Ibragimov from building momentum?[/h1]

By Graham Houston
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 20, 2008

box_g_underwater_580.jpg

Marc Serota/Bongarts/Getty Images

Klitschko's unification bout with Ibragimov may help clear up the heavyweight division's muddy waters.
The problems that Sultan Ibragimov faces in Saturday's heavyweight unification title fight with Wladimir Klitschko are formidable. Ibragimov has to overcome the height and reach advantages of a technically sound boxer who is also a hard puncher. The good news for Ibragimov is that the smaller man in a boxing match, with the right mental attitude and strategy, can get the job done. Last year, the much smaller Ruslan Chagaev outscored Nikolai Valuev in their heavyweight title fight while, right down the weight scale, 108-pounder Ivan Calderon out-generaled Hugo Cazares, who towered over him. This year, Carlos Quintana confounded the cognoscenti by clearly outpointing Paul Williams, the freakishly tall welterweight champion. The winning fighters were all southpaws, as is Ibragimov. He has evolved from being essentially a pressure fighter into a smart-moving boxer-fighter under the direction of trainer Jeff Mayweather, the classy former lightweight from Las Vegas.
[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/John Marshall Mantel

"So you're the guy standing in my way of heavyweight domination?"
Ibragimov is small by today's heavyweight standards at 6-foot-2 and around 220 pounds (as opposed to Klitschko's 6-foot-6 and approximately 245 pounds) but his ability to use the ring, get in with his punches and get away, makes him a tricky opponent, even for a champion as big and as capable as Klitschko. While Klitschko is, deservedly, a clear favorite in the clash of boxers from the former Soviet bloc (Klitschko from the Ukraine, Ibragimov from Russia), the odds might be a bit misleading. Too much attention, I think, is being paid to respective results against common-denominator opponent Ray Austin. Ibragimov barely scraped a draw against Austin after suffering a knockdown whereas Klitschko blew out the big man from Cleveland in a two-round mismatch. I have always thought that these so-called form guides are highly suspect, however. The Austin who faced Ibragimov was in top condition and fighting to win; against Klitschko, he had nothing like the same degree of determination and went down easily. There is another thing to consider. When Ibragimov fought Austin, he weighed almost 232 pounds, which was his heaviest weight. Ibragimov's camp brought Mayweather on board after this fight, and the improvement was obvious as a lighter, faster Ibragimov boxed rings around the huge but reluctant Shannon Briggs and then won a clear decision over the aging but still dangerous Evander Holyfield. Speaking over the phone from training camp in Miami, Mayweather said: "Sultan's in great shape physically but I like his mental condition even better, because it's a long time since Klitschko had an athlete in the ring with him who wasn't afraid of him and actually believes in his own heart he's going to win. That's going to make a huge difference. "When I came on board I saw a guy who fought force with force with guys that were bigger than him and I told him: 'If you continue to fight like this, your career's going to be very short, even if you continue to win.' "Here was a guy who had proved himself on the top level as an amateur and was undefeated as a professional. For him to take heed of the knowledge I was trying to teach him says a lot about him not only as a fighter but his character as a fighter -- the temperament and mentality to want to get better. 'The first day with him, I said: 'Give me five days.' On the first day I just had him bouncing around the ring. The next day I had the head movement, and each day I added something that he didn't know, that once he got a grasp of it he was excited, he was like: 'Wow, I can do this?'
[+] Enlarge

Al Bello/Getty Images

Ibragimov, right, has shown vast improvement since bringing Mayweather on board.
"We're going to bring some skills and fundamentals. You're going to see a guy that's going to do a little bit of boxing, and he's going to be aggressive at times -- whatever he needs to do. He's going to be able to make those adjustments. Our game plan is to be in an area where we can neutralize Klitschko by getting in, getting out, but never really being on the end of those punches." So, the strategy is in place, but carrying it out successfully will, as always, be the problem. Klitschko has a way of controlling a fight with the jab and the "Dr. Steelhammer" right hand. He is also clever at turning the jab into a quick, sharp left hook that can catch an opponent unawares. In Klitschko's three losses he twice apparently succumbed to exhaustion (Ross Puritty, Lamon Brewster) and was simply hit on the chin by South African Corrie Sanders. Although Klitschko has not lost in nearly four years he was down three times against Samuel Peter, on the floor against DaVarryl Williamson and had an early struggle against Calvin Brock. A Las Vegas big-hitter boxing gambler told me only this week that whenever he bets on Klitschko he cannot bear to watch the fight live because it is too stressful, so he asks a friend to ring him with the result. His fear is that Klitschko will somehow implode. This hasn't happened for a while but one must suppose that the possibility is there. Ibragimov hits hard enough with the left hand from his southpaw stance to hurt Klitschko, but he cannot get carried away if he lands a heavy shot. Klitschko is dangerous and is always looking to drop in the right hand, the punch that left Brock facedown on the canvas in Klitschko's last appearance at Madison Square Garden. Klitschko's trainer, Emanuel Steward, has spoken of his respect for Ibragimov and the rival champ's amateur pedigree (Olympic silver medal, European championships silver, world championships bronze). The Klitschko camp is not expecting an easy fight. I would think that Klitschko will want to try to control the distance, using the jab not only to score points but to wear down Ibragimov, round by round. There seems to be a pattern in the Klitschko fights in which the jab softens up the opponent and paves the way for the right. Klitschko, though, must stay alert and not get caught by Ibragimov's heavy left hand. Klitschko was able to dominate the southpaw Chris Byrd in two fights, so Ibragimov's left-handed stance as such might not be a factor. However, the way that Ibragimov uses his feet to move in and move away, and the southpaw's craftiness in staying low and getting under punches, could be a bit unsettling for Klitschko, and it might take him some rounds to get his gun sights adjusted. I can see a tactical battle evolving, but I do think that Klitschko's jab is going to be important, keeping Ibragimov from establishing any real momentum, and the threat of Klitschko's big right can make the smaller man just cautious enough to stop him from being bold enough to seize control. This is by no means, in my view, a formality for Klitschko, but I do believe he will win, perhaps by landing enough flush right hands as the fight goes deeper to force a stoppage in about nine or 10 rounds.

I am not a big Klitschko fan at all and ever since the Corrie Sanders debacle, the only reason I find myself watching his fights is because of the potential ofhim being floored numerous times.

I see this fight going the way of the Lamon Brewster v. Klitschko fight where Brewster just ate jabs and in general just got absolutely destroyed.

Anyone know if the Duddy fight is being broadcast live to perhaps build the potential Duddy v. Pavlik match up?

I'd hope Taylor takes some time off and then comes back either against Lacy or Andrade. Andrade would be the dangerous one if he decides to throw somepunches in a fight, he took every punch Kessler could throw and didn't go down. But there's no lack of fights out there for Taylor.

I'd like to see Jermaine and Roy in the summer as a tune and have him face either Andrade, Kessler or the winner of Pascal - Miranda

[h1]The Big Show, but not Cotto?[/h1]
posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 | Print Entry

Your weekly random thoughts … • I haven't watched much pro wrestling since the mid-1980s -- yes, I actually attended Wrestlemania I at Madison SquareGarden with my father -- but when I heard about the nonsense between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and 7-foot, 400-pound WWE star The BigShow at Sunday's pay-per-view event in Las Vegas, I tuned in to WWE's Monday Night RAW to catch the highlights as well as to see Mayweatheragain confront Show at a card in Anaheim. The Sunday footage of Mayweather hopping in the ring to help out wrestler Rey Mysterio and thenopening up on Show's face with several punches and leaving him with a broken and bleeding nose was interesting, especially because Show was on his kneeswhen it happened. Monday's follow-up confrontation was so obviously scripted it was sad. Mayweather might do a lot of things in his life, but winning anAcademy Award won't be one of them. Anyway, the story line now heads to Wrestlemania 24 in Orlando, Fla., on March 30, when Mayweather is supposed to fight(I'm not sure under what kind of rules) Show. That's all well and good, but all I could think of as I watched the zaniness play out was this: IfMayweather is cool with fighting a mountain of a man like Show, why does he keep running from a man his own size, Miguel Cotto?
• I am excited for Saturday's Wladimir Klitschko-Sultan Ibragimov heavyweight unification fight, which is one of themost important fights of the year. It's not that I think the fight will be an enthralling slugfest or a fight of the year candidate. No, I am excitedbecause it is the first concrete attempt at desperately needed heavyweight clarity since Lennox Lewis retired in early 2004 as the universallyrecognized heavyweight champion of the world. Since Double L walked away on top and left a gargantuan void in a sickly division, there have been, by my count,33 heavyweight title bouts sanctioned by the four major organizations. Not one of them has been a unification match. Finally, Klitschko and Ibragimov, at atime when so few heavyweights are willing to take a risk, are doing just that. I greatly appreciate it and I hope all of you do as well.

• What a shame. Former junior featherweight champ Oscar Larios is coming out of retirement to fight in Mexico on Friday night in a boutthat will be televised by Telemundo. For those who don't remember, Larios suffered a brain bleed during a one-sided 10th-round knockout loss tofeatherweight prodigy Jorge Linares seven months ago on the Bernard Hopkins-Winky Wright undercard in LasVegas. Larios was placed on medical suspension by Nevada officials after the fight because of the serious injury. Brain bleeds are no joke and Nevada won'tlicense anyone who has suffered a subdural hematoma, no matter how small. So Larios is moving on to fight in another country, where the rules are far more laxthan in the U.S. It's an unfortunate situation similar to that of heavyweight Joe Mesi and junior lightweight titlist EdwinValero, fighters who have suffered head injuries and continue to fight. I don't know what the right answer is, but I know that in Larios'case, he is far from the fighter he once was. The fact that he took enough punishment in his last fight to cause his brain to bleed sure doesn't helpmatters.

• Is there anyone in boxing busier than Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer these days? With all the deals he's working on, the man needsat least 48 hours in a day. He's been working on a number of high-profile fights all at the same time -- the April 19 Hopkins-Joe Calzaghedeal (which couldn't have been easy with Frank Warren involved), the May 3 fight between his boss, Oscar De La Hoya, andSteve Forbes and a May HBO PPV fight for Shane Mosley, who will likely face Zab Judah. And don't forgethe's involved in the March 15 Juan Manuel Marquez-Manny Pacquiao rematch and he's looking for a comeback fight forMarco Antonio Barrera. That doesn't even include some of Golden Boy's smaller shows, such as a March 22 card on HBO.

• Who else is pumped for Andy Lee's ESPN2 debut against Brian Vera on March 21? Lee is about as close to acan't-miss prospect as there is in boxing.

• Now that Jermain Taylor is planning to move up to super middleweight in the wake of his second defeat to Kelly Pavlik,I'd like to see him fight either Mikkel Kessler or Jeff Lacy. I have a less interest in seeing him at 170 pounds againstRoy Jones Jr., which is a fight that is being discussed.

• Maybe Pavlik just has Taylor's number? His second loss in a row to Pavlik reminded me a little of Mosley, who lost twice to VernonForrest and twice to Wright. But in both rematches, Mosley fought much better than in the first fight. Taylor did the same thing with Pavlik.

• When Jose Navarro lost his fourth shot at a junior bantamweight title to Cristian Mijares last week, my thoughts turnedto Rocky Juarez. Navarro and Juarez were 2000 U.S. Olympic teammates and they have gone down similar paths as pros. Both are excellentfighters, but neither can get over the hump. Juarez is also 0-4 in title bouts, losing twice to Barrera and once to Marquez at junior lightweight and toHumberto Soto in an interim featherweight title bout. Will either ever win that elusive world title? It seems unlikely at this point but Ihope they both get one eventually. They're both a credit to boxing and easy to root for.

• Anyone care to wager on the next time we'll see Las Vegas judge Doug Tucker scoring an important fight? I still can't get overhow absolutely horrific his card was Saturday night on the Mijares-Navarro fight. While the two other judges had Mijares properly winning 117-111 and 115-113,Tucker scored it a 120-108 shutout for Navarro, who was bleeding badly and was busted up when it was over. To my recollection, it's the single worstscorecard turned in during my eight-plus years on the boxing beat. I don't know Tucker personally, but looking at the past fights he has scored, he'sbeen a solid judge. Maybe this one was just an anomaly. Let's hope so. And let's hope he's more careful next time he holds a fighter's careerin his hands.

• I was really impressed with what I saw from 20-year-old junior lightweight Mikey Garcia, who moved to 11-0 with a fifth-round TKO ofJorge Ruiz, on the Pavlik-Taylor II undercard. Ruiz had never been stopped in his nine previous fights and Garcia took him apart. I thinkGarcia, younger brother of former titleholder and current trainer Roberto Garcia, is a prospect who could move quickly.

DVD pick of the week: It's not the most exciting fight ever, but in the spirit of the upcoming heavyweight unification match betweenKlitschko and Ibragimov it only made sense to dust off the last heavyweight unifier -- the Nov. 13, 1999 rematch between Lewis and EvanderHolyfield. Eight months to the day after their first incredibly controversial fight, which was ruled a draw, robbing Lewis of becoming the undisputedchampion, they met again in Las Vegas. This time, Lewis finally got official validation as the best heavyweight on the planet when he took a competitive butunanimous decision.

I don't think Mayweather is scared to fight Cotto its just that Floyd wants to make the most money possible for fighting Oscar De La Hoya, Mayweatherearned more than 18 Million Dollars to fight Oscar and he will not make that kind of money if he fights Cotto.

"If it makes money, it makes sense" Floyd Mayweather

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Pavlik-Duddy bout probably set for MSG in June[/h1]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 21, 2008, 10:06 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The plan is in motion: If all goes well during a Friday meeting between promoters and in the ring Saturday night for middleweight "Irish" John Duddy, he will challenge champion Kelly Pavlik on June 7 at Madison Square Garden.

Duddy (23-0, 17 KOs), a tremendously popular attraction in New York's Irish community, must defeat Walid Smichet (17-3-3, 13 KOs) on the Wladimir Klitschko-Sultan Ibragimov heavyweight unification undercard and come out uninjured. If that happens, an announcement of Pavlik-Duddy is expected after the show.

Pavlik, who outpointed Jermain Taylor in their 164-pound nontitle rematch last Saturday night, plans to be at the fight with manager Cameron Dunkin and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum to see Duddy, 28, fight in person.

On Friday afternoon, Arum has a meeting scheduled with the Duddy camp and, thinking ahead, he has asked permission from the promoters of Klitschko-Ibragimov to use the podium at the post-fight press conference to announce the fight.

"I had a nice meeting with them about a month ago and this is a follow-up meeting. Hopefully, we can conclude our business," Arum said Thursday from Las Vegas before leaving for New York. "I'm not concerned. I think we established the parameters of our deal pretty well. Now, is there a deal yet? No, but I am confident a deal will be finished and I think they are too. They're good people. We've had Duddy on our cards before. So this is our plan, no question about it."

"It's the fight we want to make. It's what we intend to do," Jim Borzell, an advisor to Duddy promoter Irish Ropes, said Thursday night. "We're looking forward to sitting down and making a deal with Bob."

Duddy, responsible for selling thousands of tickets to Saturday's card, has been brought along slowly but has emerged as one of New York's top ticket sellers. He is from Ireland but moved to the United States to fight professionally, although he returned to Ireland for his past three bouts.

He is coming off a career-best decision victory against former title challenger Howard Eastman in December.

Besides Duddy, Arum had been in discussions with promoter Don King about matching Pavlik (33-0, 29 KOs) with Felix Trinidad, who performed well despite losing a decision to Roy Jones Jr. at the Garden in January.

However, the weight for a proposed Pavlik-Trinidad fight was a major issue. Trinidad, a former three-division champion who ended a second retirement to fight Jones, struggled to make 170 pounds for the bout.

Pavlik, who intends to defend his title, only fought Taylor above the 160-pound middleweight limit because of the terms outlined in the rematch clause Taylor excersised after Pavlik, 25, knocked him out to win the title in their first fight last September.

"King led me to believe that Tito could fight at 160 pounds for the middleweight title," Arum said. "Then 'Daddy' Trinidad [Felix Trinidad Sr.] made a statement in the Puerto Rican papers that Tito will not fight at less than 168 pounds. So that's the end of Trinidad. No problem, no animosity. When Kelly goes up to 168, Trinidad will be an attractive opponent if he is still around. You can't be the middleweight champion and fight all the fights over the weight. I have great respect for Trinidad, but Kelly is bound and determined to defend his title this year."

Arum said as long as Pavlik keeps winning, he'll make three defenses this year -- against Duddy in June and then again in September and December.

"Kelly is not under contract to any television network and we will fight on our terms," he said, adding that he hoped he can make a deal with HBO for the June fight. "We will not be beholden to anybody. All of my guys are going to fight."

Arum added that he wants Pavlik's three remaining bouts this year to take place away from pay-per-view.

"We want the exposure," he said. "We believe we have something special here and the only way to build it up is to let people know Kelly and see him. I'll make him the hottest guy around."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

I'd like to see Jermaine and Roy in the summer as a tune and have him face either Andrade, Kessler or the winner of Pascal - Miranda

I think he should take Andrade as a warm up instead of Roy seeing as Andrade is closer style wise to the way Kessler fights than Roy or Lacy. Kessler would bethe obvious match up for a title bout since a lot of people assume he is the favorite to take over all of the belts Calzaghe left behind at 168.

Gamboa destroyed that poor bastard. I think they said this was his 1st time on American TV so hopefully we get to see more of him down the road. I agree withTessitore that this kid is on the fast track to a title. His hand speed was crazy.

Southeast Jerome in the house....
pimp.gif

I'm officially on the Gamboa train.� I don't really see any weaknesses at all with him.� Some say he keeps his hands low but he's excellent atslipping punches.�

Here's the fight last night for anyone that missed it:

laugh.gif
My dude was High Steppin like Deion after he got knocked down.
Ive gotta see gamboa fight someone who can throw back. His hands and speed look sharp

Edit
Vladimir gonna Knock Sultan out tonite ....

I told yall about Gamboa. And this guy is the real deal, this dude has had 9 fights, but look at the competition he's fought. EVERY opponent had a recordabove .500, most much higher.
2008-02-22 128½ Johnnie Edwards 128 13-1-1
2008-01-05 130 Gilberto Luque 129 7-4-2
2007-10-30 129½ Adailton De Jesus 128½ 19-2-0
2007-10-19 132 Samuel Kebede 132 25-1-0
2007-09-21 126 Nestor Hugo Paniagua 124 17-4-1
2007-09-02 130 Thomas Hengstberger 136¾ 12-5-2
2007-07-06 133½ Joel Sebastian Mayo 132¼ 40-11-0
2007-06-16 132¼ Araik Sachbazjan 132¼ 7-0-0
2007-04-27 125¾ Alexan Manvelyan 124¼ 6-1-0

Back
Top Bottom