2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

2 days! 2 days! 2 days!

I too live for Miguel Cotto fights. I mean that in the straightest way possible...

The guy could fight John Ruiz or Zahir Raheem (Post-Erik Morales beating) and i'd want to see it just as bad.

Gunna Monzon was a methodical beast had an awsome pinpoint heavy Jab it set up guy then boom the long big right hand put you away . He was always in control ,went undefeated for 13yrs , He went into Italy to face HOF Nino Benvenuti and KO'd him in 12 , Turned around and KO'd him again in 4 . Beat HOF EmileGriffith twice stopped him once I believe. Whooped all time great welter and HOF Jose 'Mantequilla "Naploes in 7 when he was closing the show he hithim with 15 straight shots . If you can find the tape or dvd watch it he is in total control

His fight with Griffith was on ALLUC.COM a while back I don't know if it's still there. Is anyone else seeing this post stop at the 48th page when yousee it in the S&T section and then have to come in and click to the last page? Pages 49-51 don't show for me.

His fight with Griffith was on ALLUC.COM a while back I don't know if it's still there. Is anyone else seeing this post stop at the 48th page when you see it in the S&T section and then have to come in and click to the last page? Pages 49-51 don't show for me.

Yeah man, its been like that for like 2 weeks. This Yuku Junk is Crap.

That Monzon story is insane. Nice find.

I am beyond pumped up for this weekend's slate of fights. I want to see Cintron smash Magarito's stupid face in. Got so sick and tired of hearing abouthow he was the most ducked fighter in the game only to watch him %%#% the bed against another fraud, Paul Williams.

[h1]ESPN takes series 'The Contender' out of the ring[/h1]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: April 11, 2008, 1:25 AM ET

Days before Alfonso Gomez, one of the most popular alumni of boxing reality series "The Contender," climbs into the ring to challenge welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto, the series that made him a star was canceled.

ESPN, which televised the second and third seasons of the series, pulled the plug on the show that helped fighters such as Gomez, Sergio Mora, Peter Manfredo and Steve Forbes gain recognition and launch them into important fights. The series also returned host Sugar Ray Leonard to the national spotlight.

[+] Enlarge

Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)

Sugar Ray Leonard (center), one of the faces of ESPN's "The Contender," which was KOed Thursday, celebrates with his winning team of fighters from last year's "The Contender Challenge" between the U.K. and U.S.

"It was a hard decision to make. We were talking to [promoter Tournament of Contenders] about a renewal but we couldn't come to terms," ESPN vice president of series development and production Ron Wechsler told ESPN.com on Thursday.

The series, however, likely will find new life on another network.

"We're sorry it didn't work out at ESPN, but we're in the process of making another deal," said TOC promoter Jeff Wald, one of the executive producers.

Wald would not say what network he was negotiating with but added, "Hopefully, the deal we are working on will be closed in the next few days. 'The Contender' is the show that will not die. The show is a success with the fans and it became that without much marketing or promotion. With the exception of Ron, who was in our corner from day one, the show was mishandled right from the beginning."

The first season of "The Contender" focused on middleweights and ran on NBC, but was canceled shortly after Mora defeated Manfredo for the tournament title at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

ESPN picked up the show, which was co-produced by reality series hitmaker Mark Burnett, and ran two more seasons, a junior middleweight tournament in the summer of 2006 and a super middleweight tournament that concluded last fall.

Grady Brewer defeated Forbes in the second-season finale and Sakio Bika stopped Jaidon Codrington in the eighth round of the third-season conclusion in a wildly exciting, drama-filled slugfest that went down as one of the best fights of 2007.

During each season, the group of fighters selected to participate lived and trained together in a Los Angeles compound. Each episode culminated with a fight and the loser was eliminated from the tournament.

"We have the greatest respect for TOC, Jeff Wald, Mark Burnett Productions and DreamWorks and we stand by the quality of the show," Wechsler said. "But it's a very competitive marketplace and the ratings weren't as strong as they were the year prior."

Gomez's fame from the show was responsible for him landing a fight with popular Arturo Gatti last summer, and Gomez pulled the upset, knocking Gatti out and sending him into retirement. That victory paved the way for his big shot against Cotto on Saturday night.

The show was also responsible for Manfredo getting a shot at super middleweight world champion Joe Calzaghe in April 2007, although Manfredo was stopped in the third round.

Of all the fighters who participated on the series, Forbes has landed the biggest fight of them all -- a May 3 match against superstar Oscar De La Hoya.

Other former contestants also have found success after the show. In the past few weeks alone, third-season fighter Brian Vera scored a TKO upset against heralded prospect Andy Lee and Cornelius "K9" Bundrage, who was on the second season, upset former junior middleweight titleholder Kassim Ouma.

"The show ended on a high note with an amazing fight," Wechsler said of Bika-Codrington. "And now we have two alumni going into big fights. We're proud of our involvement in the series and the people who participated in the show. That some of these guys are fighting in these important fights shows their viability outside the series."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Its alright, apparently The Contender will be back on another channel soon. This show just won't die.

I'm a bit dissappointed in it leaving ESPN though. It was great having Boxing on 3 nights a week on the same channel, even if one of the days was just areality show.

I think it's probably gone for good. It started off on NBC then was picked up by ESPN. Now it's been offered to HBO and SHO and neither want it so Idon't know...

I'm dying here watching the Margarito-Cintron weigh in
laugh.gif
Margaritostarts making fun of Cintron by pretending to cry. Cintron says something back and then Manny comes over a pats him on the back almost to say "don'tlisten to him, let's just go" and then they leave.

I'm surprised that it got canned. If it doesn't make it on ESPN, I don't see it getting new life anywhere else. Versus maybe? I highly doubt that,though.

Off-topic but...

I don't know what it is about Antonio Tarver, but I have a soft spot in my boxing heart for the guy.

I respect his struggle to get where he is. Battling addiction, not getting a shot until his 30's. He did have a nice little run from the 1st fight withJones (Which I still say he won) up until his beating by Hopkins. Gotta admit...the guy can talk with the best of em', it's just a shame that hewon't back it up worth a damn.

I just don't like the fact that he's ducking Bad Chad. Although, it's for his own good.

Should both him and Dawson win their bouts, there is NO reason why they shouldn't hook up in the fall.

The article says another deal may get done on another network in a few days, i'm pretty sure it'll come back somewhere. Maybe Versus, Maybe Spike TV.They're already big on MMA, might as well throw some boxing in there as well.

Anyway, might as well give out my predictions for the fights this week. On Showtime i got Woods over Tarver by Close Decision. I think Woods simply outhustlesthis old and slow version of Tarver. Antonio would have killed him in his prime, but Tarver aint prime anymore. I'm also going with Dawson over Johnson byWide Decision, something like 116-112, 116-112. 117-111. Johnson isn't getting any younger, and i really like Chad Dawson. I think he's gonna rule 175for as long as he decides to stay there.

On HBO, I have Cotto by a wide decision, but not a shutout. Gomez is a tough guy with some decent skill, and i think he'll take a couple of rounds fromCotto, plus, he's naturally the much bigger man and has a very good chin. He was taking shots from guys at 160 and 168 without much problem. I think hispower is a bit underrated, too. Sure he has only 8 KO's in 18 wins, but 4 of those KO's have come in his last 5 wins. All that said, he's stillgonna lose because Cotto is just that good, but i think he'll make it a lil more interesting than everyone is expecting.

As for Margs-Cintron, i'm taking Cintron by a close decision. I just have never been a fan Margarito, never really saw the hype, and have been reallyimpressed with Cintron since the first fight with Margs. I think he now has enough mentally to keep going when it gets tough, and i just think he's themore skilled and better fighter with a better trainer, and i think he squeaks out a close decision at the end of the night.

And to recap the bets i got for this fight, i had Woods+115, Cintron +250, and Cotto-Gomez OVER 9.5 +130.

Yea, that 2K boxing game looks amazing. It has a good variety of pro fighter in it as well. Just in the preview you can see Pavlik, Ponce De Leon, Collazo,etc. I haven't played video games in a while but I might have to start finding friends with an Xbox 360.

Looks like Steward isn't even confident in Cintron lol. From The Ring magazine:

"Kermit wants the fight. He told me: 'lets do it.' It's a good fight but it's a fight, not to put Kermit down, it's not one I'm comfortable we're going to win.

When you're a world champion you owe it to the public, you've got to fight the best, and I think, for him, Margarito is the most credible fight but [also] the most difficult fight and the biggest-risk fight. But, more than Cotto or Shane Mosley, I think this is the fight he needs to fight."

My predictions for tonight:

Cintron-Magarito: Margarito TKO ref stoppage, 9th round.
Cotto-Gomez: Cotto TKO stoppage from corner, 11th round.
Woods-Tarver: I've never seen Woods fight, no prediction.
Dawson-Johnson: Dawson, UD, 117-111.

- Cotto in 6.
- Johnson over Dawson.
- Tarver with a W. (he's only hand picking opponents he knows can beat)
- Margaritslow in 3 rounds KO!

Cotto in 10.
Dawson over Johnson (I think it'll be closer than people think maybe 115-113?)
Woods over Tarver by a slim margin.
Margarito in 6.

But I just want this year of great fights to continue and my Showtime got turned off so that kinda sucks.

Also saw this...

The Diaz-Pacquiao televised undercard also is taking shape. Arum said 2004 U.S. Olympian Vanes Martirosyan, a rising junior middleweight prospect, will be on the card, and he already has matched heavyweights Tye Fields and Monte Barrett. Arum said the co-feature might include rising lightweight star Amir Khan of England, a 2004 Olympic silver medalist and 2007 ESPN.com prospect of the year. Khan is a mandatory challenger for unified titlist Nate Campbell but could have eyes on a mega fight with Pacquiao instead. Arum said he and Frank Warren, Khan's promoter, are talking about putting Khan on the card and working their way toward an eventual meeting between the two. "We both like the idea," Arum said.

Yeah, i'm boycotting that Diaz-Pacquiao PPV. A mismatch in the main event, Martirosyan in a probable showcase fight, The sideshow Tye Fields, and probablya showcase fight for Amir Khan as well. No way in hell is that worth anywhere near 50 bucks. That is one i'm downloading the next day.

predictions:
Margarito in 7 by Knockout over Cintron
Cotto in 9 Technical Knockout Ref stops fight.

CHAD IS HURTTTTTTTTT

GLEN THROWIN THEM RIGHTSS

Son, Chad is gonan get knocked out. Book it!

HE cant take them Rights
eek.gif

My god

Chad need to use that hand sppeed, he goptta keep pressure on.

does Glenn Johnson even turn his Jab over? It looks weird as %#%+

Glenn Johnson got CHads mouth full of blood. WOW
El Producto? How u got this scored?

eek.gif
Chad put his track shoes on, He scurred. but I dont blame him at all. them rights stingin.

THat Jab is just irkin me lol

Chad looks goon on his bicycle. he can win this fight with this strategy

I got Chad winnin the last 3 rounds. but its close still

Back
Top Bottom