2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Oscar De La Hoya's farewell tour begins next week as boxing's biggest star counts down to retirement. De La Hoya insists it's three fights and out by the end of the year -- beginning with a 150-pound fight against Steve Forbes, a former junior lightweight titleholder and the second-season runner up on "The Contender," on May 3 (HBO, 10 p.m. ET) at the Home Depot Center's outdoor soccer stadium in Carson, Calif. "The goal is to fight these three fights this year and leave on top," De La Hoya said this week on a conference call with reporters. "There's not going to be no 2009, no fights after December. I want these three fights and go out like a champion. I know it's the last time I will step inside the ring in December but there is no looking past Stevie Forbes. I have been training so hard for this fight, like it is the most important fight of my life."
box_g_delahoya_300.jpg

Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Oscar De La Hoya wants a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. before leaving the ring for good.
The fight is billed as "Homecoming" because it is De La Hoya's first bout in his native Southern California since his first bout with Los Angeles rival Shane Mosley in 2000. De La Hoya's fans seem to have responded, too, gobbling up more than 26,000 tickets so far, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. De La Hoya, in his first non-pay-per-view fight since 2001, is a huge favorite to defeat Forbes, who has been fighting at 140 pounds and packs little power. If De La Hoya takes care of business, the second stop on the retirement tour will be a Sept. 20 rematch with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr., who won a split decision against De La Hoya 11 months ago in the richest fight in boxing history. If De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs) beats Forbes (33-5, 9 KOs) and then Mayweather, logic dictates that his finale could be a rubber match with Mayweather. But what if De La Hoya loses again? Who then does he fight in his farewell fight? Some have speculated about a fight with junior lightweight star Manny Pacquiao, who is moving up to lightweight for a June 28 title bout against David Diaz. If Pacquiao wins, it is not out of the question that he could step up to welterweight to meet De La Hoya. Another name mentioned is Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the undefeated, but untested, son of the great former Mexican champion whom De La Hoya, 35, stopped twice. But when De La Hoya was asked about who he'd like his finale to be against, he pulled a shocker: welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto, the Puerto Rican star who has emerged as one of the sport's best fighters. Previously, De La Hoya had dismissed Cotto as a potential opponent, claiming that his wife, Millie, who is Puerto Rican, didn't want to see her husband fight a Puerto Rican. That promise seems to have disappeared after hearing the way De La Hoya spoke. "You can never count anyone out. You can't scratch anyone off the list," said De La Hoya, the 1992 Olympic gold medalist who was elected to the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Class earlier this month. "If I beat the best in the world in Floyd Jr., you have to continue that streak. Obviously, my following fight has to be with one of the best, and it's no secret that Miguel Cotto is considered one of the best in the world. He has a difficult fight with [Antonio] Margarito [scheduled for July 26] and anything can happen there, but we all know that Miguel Cotto is going to win. "I don't need to fight Cotto, but obviously my last fight cannot be against an easy opponent. It's going to be against one of the best, and after Mayweather, the next one is Cotto, who is a boxer that always wants to fight the best in the world."
He going to lose to Money may but DLH would give cotto his 1st L thats for damn sure
pimp.gif

Did anyone catch the "Latin Fury" event last night? If so, How did Julio Cesar Chavez Jr look? It is time to stop fighting taxi drivers and at least,step up to tomato cans. I'm looking forward to May 16th when Jorge 'el travieso' Arce returns
pimp.gif

From the reports i read Chavez jr pretty much dominated dropped Loriga in the second , Chavez jr twisted his ankle in the 7th fought through it and stoppedLoriga in the 9th

I watched Chavez Jr last night

landed some pretty good right hands

He talked about wanting to fight Camacho Jr. He also fought on the card and was outta shape needed to cut atleast 15 pounds

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

DLH would be the best fighter cotto has fought he would get that %%% WORKED

Mosley > DLH
HELL NO. even in there prime DLH was a better fighter and right no washed up mosley ant got %$%* on DLH

damn 2nd day in a row i hit the post limit
laugh.gif

In their prime, Mosley beat DLH, TWICE. I don't know how you can flatly say DLH is the better fighter. There isn't much to distinguish between them,record wise, other than Mosley beating Oscar twice.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

In their prime, Mosley beat DLH, TWICE. I don't know how you can flatly say DLH is the better fighter. There isn't much to distinguish between them, record wise, other than Mosley beating Oscar twice.

The truth has been spoken. Mosley > DLH

Bigmike23 wrote:
DLH would be the best fighter cotto has fought he would get that %%% WORKED

Mosley > DLH

x2

HELL NO. even in there prime DLH was a better fighter and right no washed up mosley ant got %$%* on DLH
Come on, Mosley beat DLH twice and the second time was pretty convincing. DLH doesn't win the big fights plain and simple. He has beenrobbed but then again that's what happens when you try to go cruise control and he got beat badly by Sturm which was supposed to be a tune up for HopkinsIMO. The story on ESPN.COM today put it best, he's like the Brett Favre of boxing everyone focuses on the good and no one shines a light on the very bad.

They have to stop putting Chavez Jr. up against these tomato cans, I think he has had more than enough of those types of fights and is ready to at least fightin an eliminator.

Chavez Jr will probably be babied until 50 wins then maybe he will fight for a title he stay fighting bums.
smh.gif

i'll play devil's advocate, but JCC Jr. is still only 22 years old, and had no amateur experience, and he is (slowly) increasing the level ofdifficulty. At his age and lack of experience i have no real problem with his handlers taking it slow. You don't want to rush a kid with potential, it canseriously damage his stock. My boy Julio was getting super-hyped, getting highlights on HBO cards, shobox cards, and staying busy. His handlers threw him inWAY too soon with Carlos Quintana (he was only 21 at the time of the fight), and he was in over his head. He showed flashes by knocking Quintana down early,but he was too inexperienced to deal with Quintana's movement. Since then he's had 5 fights, none of them on HBO or Showtime, 3 on ESPN, one onTelemundo, and one untelevised. Now very few consider him a top flight prospect, even though he still is only 23 years old. Basically, i'm just saying itsforgivable to see a guy in his early 20's with little experience get babied a bit. Now if JCC Jr. isn't fighting top 10 guys by the time he's 24,then i'll start to get on him heavy.

I agree. I don't why people are so hard on JCC Jr. Technically he looks pretty sound and I think he'll continue to improve since he's
still young and gaining experience.

BTW, being a Hopkins fan I had to watch the BH vs JC fight in slow-mo to see if Calzaghe was really landing as many punches as Compubox said. The punch countswere a complete JOKE. Don't ever trust Compubox
laugh.gif

why the hell is JCC JR already getting PPV fights/money is my questions

and DLH about to do work this weekend
pimp.gif

tired.gif
@ AMO taken the fight out of the title
laugh.gif

I'd love to see this happen but I'm kind of doubtful it will.

Joshua Clottey vs. Andre Berto For IBF Title?

By Mark Vester

Speaking with Accra publication "Graphic Sports," welterweight contender Joshua Clottey said that he expects to fight for the IBF welterweight title by August of this year and the opponent will possibly be undefeated Andre Berto.

Antonio Margarito is expected to vacate his IBF title in order to fight Miguel Cotto for the WBA title on July 26. Once vacated, the IBF will order a bout for the vacant title between Clottey and Berto, the two highest ranked contenders to the title. Clottey appears to be confident that Berto will accept the fight. Berto returns to action on HBO on June 21 against Miguel Angel Rodriguez.

"This is my time and I can't wait for it. My destiny lies in my hands again," Clottey said. "I have been ready for whoever is available and I don't know what will change my focus for the title. We are in a boxing game. I respect all boxers but I know what stuff I am made of. My prime focus is to win my fights and that's what I enter the ring to do."

Hopkins made Calzaghe look like an amateur boxer right there ^ and thats what i saw all night by Calzaghe lots of lunging punches. Hopkins landed the harderpunches.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

why the hell is JCC JR already getting PPV fights/money is my questions

and DLH about to do work this weekend
pimp.gif

tired.gif
@ AMO taken the fight out of the title
laugh.gif

My post, so any Joel Julio fight gets special treatment
laugh.gif
. Tomorrowi'll change it back to Oscar, don't worry.

Updated schedule as of 5/1

May 2
At Santa Ynez, Calif. (Showtime): Anthony Hanshaw vs. Andre Dirrell, 10 rounds, super middleweights; Antonio DeMarco vs. Juan Castaneda, 8 rounds, lightweights
At El Paso, Texas: Johnny Tapia vs. Pedro Rincon, 10 rounds, featherweights At Nottingham, England: Rendall Munroe vs. Salem Bouaita, 12 rounds, for Munro's European junior featherweight title; Ian Napa vs. Colin Moffett, 12 rounds, for Napa's British bantamweight title At Carson, Calif. (Telefutura): Vicente Escobedo vs. Roberto Arrieta, 10 rounds, lightweights; Jeffrey Resto vs. Hector Alatorre, 10 rounds, junior welterweights May 3
At Carson, Calif. (HBO): Oscar De La Hoya vs. Steve Forbes, 12 rounds, junior middleweights; Victor Ortiz vs. Dairo Esalas, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; Danny Garcia vs. Manuel Bocanegra, 6 rounds, junior welterweights; Daniel Jacobs vs. Jose Pena, 6 rounds, middleweights; Hector Sanchez vs. Arthur Brambila, 6 rounds, junior welterweights; Freddy Curiel vs. Sven Paris, 8 rounds, welterweights; Wes Ferguson vs. Miguel Munguia, 8 rounds, lightweights; Jesus Adame vs. Frankie Gutierrez, 4 rounds, featherweights At Stuttgart, Germany: Firat Arslan vs. Darnell "Ding-A-Ling Man" Wilson, 12 rounds, for Arslan's WBA cruiserweight title; heavyweight Alexander Dimitrenko vs. Derric Rossy, 10 or 12 rounds, heavyweights At Worley, Idaho: Peter Manfredo Jr. vs. Luis Lopez, 10 rounds, super middleweights May 7
At Boston (ESPN2): Mike Oliver vs. Reynaldo Lopez, 10 rounds, junior featherweights; Antoine Smith vs. Aaron Torres, 8 rounds, welterweights May 9
At Atlantic City, N.J. (ESPN2): Mike Arnaoutis vs. Lanardo Tyner, 12 rounds, junior welterweights; Devin Vargas vs. Dave Brunelli, 8 rounds, heavyweights At Albuquerque, N.M. (Telefutura): Mike Alvarado vs. Michele Rosales, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; Ray Sanchez vs. Patrick Thompson, 10 rounds, welterweights At Philadelphia (CN8, next-day tape): Mike Jones vs. Gilbert Venegas, 8 rounds, welterweights; Victor Vasquez vs. Ryan Belasco, 6 rounds, junior welterweights; Larry Robinson vs. Julio Cesar Matthews, 6 rounds, cruiserweights At Vigo, Spain: Omar Narvaez vs. Ivan Pozo, 12 rounds, for Narvaez's WBO flyweight title At Cicero, Ill.: Miguel Hernandez vs. Derrick Findley, 8 rounds, middleweights; Francisco Rodriguez vs. Angel Priolo, 8 rounds, bantamweights; Henry Coyle vs. Ben Aragon, 8 rounds, middleweights; Gadiel Andaluz vs. Jose Mandujano, 4 rounds, lightweights; Eric Estrada vs. Ronnie Howell, 4 rounds, junior featherweights May 10
At Nottingham, England (Showtime): Junior Witter vs. Timothy Bradley Jr., 12 rounds, for Witter's WBC junior welterweight title; John Murray vs. John Fewkes, 10 rounds, lightweights May 14
At New York (ESPN2): Frankie Figueroa vs. Luis Rodriguez, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; Joel Torres vs. Chris Fernandez, 8 rounds, welterweights May 16
At Las Vegas (ESPN2): Chris Byrd vs. Shaun George, 10 rounds, light heavyweights; Koba Gogoladze vs. Ji-Hoon Kim, 8 rounds, lightweights May 17
At Primm, Nev. (HBO): James Kirkland vs. Eromosele Albert, 10 rounds, junior middleweights; Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Darling Jimenez, 10 rounds, junior lightweights; Alfredo Angulo vs. Richard Gutierrez, 10 rounds, junior middleweights; Odlanier Solis vs. TBA, 8 rounds, heavyweights At Gomez Palacio, Mexico (Integrated Sports PPV): Cristian Mijares vs. Alexander Munoz, 12 rounds, for WBC/WBA junior bantamweight unification; Omar Salado vs. Julio Cesar Miranda, 12 rounds, WBC flyweight eliminator; Ruben Padilla vs. TBA, 10 rounds, middleweights At Agua Caliente, Mexico (Top Rank PPV): Jorge Arce vs. Devid Lookmahanak, 12 rounds, WBC junior bantamweight eliminator; Ulises "Archie" Solis vs. Juanito Rubillar, 12 rounds, for Solis' IBF junior flyweight title; Omar Chavez vs. TBA, 4 rounds, lightweights; Humberto Gutierrez vs. TBA, 10 rounds, lightweights At Bayreuth, Germany: Alexander Frenkel vs. Cory Phelps, 10 rounds, cruiserweights; Cengiz Koc vs. Rene Dettweiler, 10 rounds, heavyweights; Marco Huck vs. TBA, 8 rounds, cruiserweights May 19
At Tokyo: Jose Alfaro vs. Yusuke Kobori, 12 rounds, for Alfaro's WBA "regular" lightweight title May 21
At Jacksonville, N.C. (ESPN2): Edner Cherry vs. Stevie Johnston, 10 rounds, lightweights; Freddie Norwood vs. Johnnie Edwards, rematch, 8 rounds, junior lightweights May 23
At Lincoln, R.I. (ESPN2): Peter Manfredo Jr. vs. TBA, 10 rounds, super middleweights; Aaron Williams vs. TBA, 10 rounds, cruiserweights May 24
At Manchester, England (Versus): Ricky Hatton vs. Juan Lazcano, 12 rounds, for Hatton's Ring magazine junior welterweight title; Paulie Malignaggi vs. Lovemore N'Dou, rematch, 12 rounds, for Malignaggi's IBF junior welterweight title; Craig Watson vs. Matthew Hatton, 12 rounds, for Watson's Commonwealth welterweight title May 28
At Melbourne, Australia: Anthony Mundine vs. Sam Soliman, 12 rounds, for Mundine's WBA "regular" super middleweight title May 29
At Glen Burnie, Md.: Mike "The Persecutor" Paschall vs. Larry Marks, 8 rounds, super middleweights May 30
At Istanbul: Sinan Samil Sam vs. Matt Skelton, 12 rounds, for vacant European heavyweight title May 31
At Las Vegas (HBO PPV): Shane Mosley vs. Zab Judah, 12 rounds, welterweights; Jorge Barrios vs. Rocky Juarez, 12 rounds, junior lightweights At Los Mochis, Mexico: Fernando Montiel vs. Luis Maldonado, 12 rounds, for Montiel's WBO junior bantamweight title At Chetumal, Mexico: Jorge Linares vs. Feider Viloria, 12 rounds, for Linares' WBC featherweight title; Guty Espadas Jr. vs. Naoki Matsuda, 12 rounds, WBC featherweight eliminator At Oberhausen, Germany: Ruslan Chagaev vs. Nikolai Valuev, rematch, 12 rounds, for Chagaev's WBA heavyweight title; Wladimir Sidorenko vs. Anselmo Moreno, 12 rounds, for Sidorenko's WBA bantamweight title June 6
At Montreal (ESPN2): Herman Ngoudjo vs. Souleymane M'Baye, 12 rounds, IBF junior welterweight eliminator; Jean Pascal vs. Fulgencio Zuniga, 10 rounds, super middleweights At Atlantic City, N.J. (Telefutura): Urbano Antillon vs. TBA, 10 rounds, lightweights; Marco Antonio Rubio vs. TBA, 10 rounds, middleweights June 7
At Atlantic City, N.J. (HBO): Kelly Pavlik vs. Gary Lockett, 12 rounds, for Pavlik's Ring/WBC/WBO middleweight title; Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Juan Manuel Lopez, 12 rounds, for Ponce De Leon's WBO junior featherweight title At Uncasville, Conn. (Showtime): Vernon Forrest vs. Sergio Mora, 12 rounds, for Forrests' WBC junior middleweight title; Carlos Quintana vs. Paul Williams, rematch, 12 rounds, for Quintana's WBO welterweight title At Maracay, Venezuela: Celestino Caballero vs. Lorenzo Parra, 12 rounds, for Caballero's WBA junior featherweight title; Juan Landaeta vs. Adan Hernandez, 10 rounds, junior flyweights; Gusmyl Perdomo vs. Michael Medina, 10 rounds, super middlweights; Fernando Angulo vs. Randy Suico, 10 rounds, lightweights; Jaider Parra vs. Edgar Puerta, 10 rounds, lightweights; Rafael Hernandez vs. Roynet Caballero, 10 rounds, featherweights June 12
At Tokyo: Hozumi Hasegawa vs. Cristian Faccio, 12 rounds, for Hasegawa's WBC bantamweight title; Edwin Valero vs. Takehiro Shimada, 12 rounds, for Valero's WBA junior lightweight title At Uncasville, Conn. (FSN): Lisa Brown vs. Alicia Ashley, 10 rounds, junior featherweights; Elena "Baby Doll" Reid vs. Anastasia Toktaulova, 10 rounds, flyweights; Melinda Cooper vs. Donna Biggers, 6 rounds, junior featherweights June 13
At Scranton, Pa. (ESPN2): Ola Afolabi vs. Francisco Palacios, 10 rounds, cruiserweights; James De La Rosa vs. TBA, 10 rounds, welterweights At Albuquerque, N.M. (Integrated Sports PPV): Holly Holm vs. Mary Joe Sanders, 10 rounds, female junior middleweights; Chevelle Hallback vs. Jeannine Garside, 10 rounds, junior lightweights; Wendy Rodriguez vs. Hollie Dunaway, 10 rounds, junior flyweights; Eileen Olszewski vs. Carina Moreno, 10 rounds, flyweights At Portsmouth, England: Tony Oakey vs. Dean Francis, 12 rounds, British and Commonwealth light heavyweight unification June 20
At Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (Showtime): Andre Ward vs. Jerson Ravelo, 12 rounds, super middleweights; Cristobal Arreola vs. TBA, 12 rounds, heavyweights; Eddie Chambers vs. Raphael Butler, 10 rounds, heavyweights June 21
At TBA (HBO): Andre Berto vs. Miki Rodriguez, 12 rounds, WBC welterweight eliminator At Hollywood, Fla. (Showtime) Arthur Abraham vs. Edison Miranda, rematch, 12 rounds, super middleweights; Giovanni Lorenzo vs. Raul Marquez, 12 rounds, IBF middleweight eliminator At Birmingham, England: Amir Khan vs. TBA, 12 rounds, lightweights June 25
At Beverly Hills, Calif. (ESPN2): Julio Diaz vs. Rolando Reyes, 10 rounds, lightweights; Eric Fields vs. Shawn Hawk, 10 rounds, cruiserweights June 26
At Las Vegas (Versus): Lamont Peterson vs. Henry Bruseles, 12 rounds, junior welterweights; Vanes Martirosyan vs. TBA, 10 rounds, junior middleweights June 27
At Las Vegas (ESPN2): Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Jose "Cheo" Rojas, 10 rounds, junior lightweights; Odlanier Solis vs. TBA, 10 rounds, heavyweights
June 28
At Las Vegas (HBO PPV): David Diaz vs. Manny Pacquiao, 12 rounds, for Diaz's WBC lightweight title; Tye Fields vs. Monte Barrett, 10 rounds, heavyweights; Humberto Soto vs. TBA, 10 rounds, junior lightweights; Steven Luevano vs. Mario Santiago, 12 rounds, for Luevano's WBO featherweight title
July 5
At Las Vegas (Showtime): Ricardo Torres vs. Kendall Holt, rematch, 12 rounds, for Torres' WBO junior welterweight title; Anthony Peterson vs. TBA, 10 rounds, lightweights July 12
At Hamburg, Germany (HBO): Wladimir Klitschko vs. Tony Thompson, 12 rounds, for Klitschko's IBF/WBO heavyweight title July 19
At TBA, Germany: Alexander Povetkin vs. TBA, 10 rounds, heavyweights; Scott Gammer vs. Francesco Pianeta, 12 rounds, heavyweights July 26
At TBA (HBO PPV): Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito, 12 rounds, for Cotto's WBA welterweight title August 2
At TBA (Showtime): Dimitri Kirilov vs. Vic Darchinyan, 12 rounds, for Kirilov's IBF junior bantamweight title

Back
Top Bottom