2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Byrd got knocked down pretty bad the way he fell on his arm was
sick.gif

Time for Byrd to hang up the gloves for good.

Not true, Vegas put in the glove weight rule so they can then perform a study on it. It was an experimental thing, and is still in place in a way. For fighters between 135 and 154, they have the option to use 8 or 10 oz gloves, but both fighters have to agree. If the fighters can't agree, both have to use 10 oz gloves. Margarito and Cotto have no problem with 8 oz gloves, so thats what they're gonna use. Besides, brain problems most of the time result in repeated blows to the head, not single big punches. Thats why dudes who suffer those redicuclous one punch knockouts end up fine, relatively speaking. The tragedies like Leavander Johnson and Duk Koo Kim weren't from one punch, but a ton of punches. Maybe if those fights are with 8 oz gloves, they get KO'd quicker and both are alive today.

From what I understood they conducted studies prior to implementing the rule, I didn't realize it was still in process.

As for the Gamboa clip, dude is just a beast. As much as Gunna is on the Berto bandwagon, i'm on the Gamboa bandwagon. He will rule 130-140 for the foreseeable future.

I agree, I think he's incredible and tonight will prove no different. He seems solid all the way around plus he has that extensive amateurbackground. The only negative thing I usually hear about him is that he keeps his hands low. It seems to me he does this when he's comfortable with thesituation and not because it's a bad habit, I believe he's perfectly cable of adjusting his defense in necessary. He can slip punches like nothing andthrow unexpected, quick shots from the waist when he drops his hands. I suppose there are some questions he's yet to answer but I feel comfortable enoughto back him. *grabs a seat in the front of the wagon*

George is a pretty solid fighter a bad guy to come in agaisnt , Byrd is done he lost too much weight , his legs where dry and very thin

Yea. They said Byrd separated his shoulder when he got knocked down the first time in the 9th he had to go to the hospital after the fight.

I like Gamboa, but Im on my wait and see steez....

I had a feeling Byrd was gonna have an ugly showing

Light Heavyweight division got some Life left in it.
Dawson,Calzaghe, Johnson, Tarver, RJ

^ One of them needs to fight Erdei who has no business having a belt...

[h4][/h4]
[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]
box_a_clottey_65.jpg

Clottey

• With Antonio Margarito poised to vacate his slice of the welterweight title in favor of a big-money July 26 fight against titleholder Miguel Cotto, Margarito's mandatory challenger, Joshua Clottey, will fight for the vacant belt. HBO plans to televise the Aug. 2 bout on a Top Rank-promoted "Boxing After Dark" card. Top Rank's Bob Arum told ESPN.com that former titleholders Zab Judah and Luis Collazo top the list of Clottey's potential opponents. They are both among the IBF's leading available contenders. Judah is recovering from an arm injury that forced cancellation of his May 31 fight with Shane Mosley, but he'll be fine by August. His representatives have already been in touch with Top Rank and are interested in the fight. Collazo adviser/trainer Nirmal Lorick told ESPN.com they're also interested. "If the money is right, we're in," Lorick said. "Put Clottey and Luis together, you get a great fight. They're the spoilers that nobody wants to fight."

box_a_hatton_65.jpg

Hatton

• Junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton, preparing to fight Juan Lazcano May 24 (Versus, 3:30 p.m. ET), is getting over a chest infection that forced him to ease up in camp for a few days and take antibiotics. But Hatton said he's fine and will go through with the fight in his hometown of Manchester, England, where a crowd of 55,000 is expected. "I have had a little bit of a chest infection," he said. "Coughing a lot. I had to take my foot off the gas for a couple of days, but I'm OK. The media made it look a lot worse than it was." It will be Hatton's first fight since Floyd Mayweather knocked him out Dec. 8 in a welterweight championship fight.

box_malignaggi_65%20.jpg

Malignaggi

• One of the outcomes of Anschutz Entertainment Group's purchase of a substantial stake in Golden Boy Promotions last week is that some of Golden Boy's bigger fights will land at one of the dozens of arenas AEG controls around the world. During a conference call detailing the deal, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer talked about the proposed fall fight between Hatton (recently signed by Golden Boy) and Paulie Malignaggi, assuming both win on a May 24 doubleheader. Schaefer said he'd like to bring the fight to the new Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. "Prudential Center is a first-class venue and it deserves to have a big boxing event," Schaefer said. "One of the fights which would be perfect for the arena would be Hatton and Malignaggi. It's a fight we'll definitely talk to AEG about doing at Prudential Center. Obviously, there are other venues interested in that fight. Every venue in the world is interested in Ricky Hatton, but this is a fight I can see landing at Prudential Center."

box_a_lee_65.jpg

Lee

• Despite suffering a seventh-round TKO upset loss to Brian Vera on March 21, middleweight prospect Andy Lee (15-1, 12 KOs) is still in demand by promoters looking to sign the 2004 Olympian from Ireland. Trainer/manager Emanuel Steward told ESPN.com he is reviewing a long-standing offer from Top Rank, as well as offers from Golden Boy and Lou DiBella. "We don't know what we're going to do yet," Steward said. "They've all made offers. I left it alone for a minute [after the loss], but we'll try to make a decision by Memorial Day." Top Rank had hoped to put Lee on the June 7 Kelly Pavlik-Gary Lockett undercard, but Lee is medically suspended because of a cut suffered against Vera. Instead, Steward said Lee would return July 19 in his hometown of Limerick, Ireland, regardless of which promoter they select.

box_f_solis_65.jpg

Solis

• Junior flyweight titlist Ulises "Archie" Solis, who was supposed to defend his title against Glenn Donaire in Saturday night's Top Rank "Latin Fury" PPV card (9 ET) in Aguascalientes, Mexico, has been scratched because of illness. Top Rank spokesman Lee Samuels said Solis was hospitalized last week with pneumonia. He said Solis is OK but was taken off the card as a precaution. His brother, featherweight contender Jorge Solis, has been added to the pay-per-view and will face Miguel Roman. Jorge Arce (48-4-1, 37 KOs) faces Thailand's Devid Lookmahanak (18-0, 9 KOs) in a junior bantamweight eliminator in the main event. Also on the telecast: lightweight Humberto Gutierrez (22-0-1, 17 KOs) vs. Guadalupe Rosales (25-2, 17 KOs) and junior lightweight Brandon Rios (16-0, 10 KOs) vs. Ricardo Dominguez (23-2-2, 15 KOs). Time permitting, lightweight Omar Chavez (9-0, 7 KOs), the son of Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., will also make the PPV.

box_adamek_65.jpg

Adamek

• Poland's Tomasz Adamek (34-1, 23 KOs), a former light heavyweight titleholder and the mandatory challenger for cruiserweight beltholder Steve Cunningham, will stay busy July 11 in Chicago, where the large Polish community has previously shown tremendous support for him. According to Main Event, he's slated to fight Gary Gomez (18-9-1, 7 KOs) on "Friday Night Fights" (ESPN2). Cunningham's mandatory defense is not due until Sept. 29.

box_a_casamayor_65.jpg

Casamayor

• The WBO ordered a May 27 purse bid for the bout between titleholder Nate Campbell and Ring magazine world champion Joel Casamayor. The minimum bid is $150,000 for registered promoters. Negotiations had not gotten very far, so the Campbell side requested the purse bid. It's a fight wanted by Campbell, who won three belts from Juan Diaz on March 8. Casamayor handed Campbell his first loss in 2003. Casamayor, however, is more likely to face Diaz in September. "Whether or not [a purse bid] results in Joel actually signing the bout agreement, well, we will have to see what happens with that," said Terry Trekas, Campbell's co-promoter with Don King. "My guess is he won't, but this is the process we have to go through."

box_a_solis_65.jpg

Solis

• Cuban prospect Odlanier Solis (9-0, 6 KOs), who won the 2004 Olympic heavyweight gold medal before defecting in late 2006 and turning pro 13 months ago, has been scratched from Saturday's untelevised HBO undercard because of a visa issue. However, his handlers plan on keeping him busy. He's scheduled to face onetime contender Francois Botha on May 30 in Spain. They were supposed to meet in December, but Botha (45-4-2, 28 KOs) withdrew. "Botha still has a very good name," Solis, 28, said. "His only problem will be that I don't care much about names. I'm looking forward to finally meeting him in the ring, though." If Solis takes care of Botha and his visa problem is solved, he'll fight again on June 27 (ESPN2).

box_g_fenech_65.jpg

Fenech

• Although they've both already been retired long enough to be elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame, Jeff Fenech, who turns 44 on May 28, and Azumah Nelson, 49, will meet for the third time on June 24 in Fenech's native Australia, where it will be on pay-per-view. Fenech (28-3-1, 21 KOs), who now trains fighters, hasn't boxed since 1996. Nelson (39-5-2, 28 KOs) hasn't fought since 1998. The fierce rivals battled to a controversial draw in June 1991 in Las Vegas, with Nelson retaining his junior lightweight title. In March 1992, they met again in Australia, and Nelson scored an eighth-round TKO. All these years later, they'll meet at welterweight.

[h4]Quotable[/h4]
box_f_dontano_65.jpg

Diaz

"Manny Pacquiao has beaten many great fighters, especially Mexicans like Morales, Barrera, Marquez, Larios and Solis. That's why they call him 'The Mexicutioner.' I will shock the world and beat Pacquiao at his own game, power for power. He's a great champion but he's fighting in my division -- lightweight. I have worked too hard for this world title and I will not give it up to him." -- Lightweight titleholder David Diaz, on his June 28 HBO PPV showdown in Las Vegas with Pacquiao, the junior lightweight world champion.

- What do you think of Clottey-Mosley for the belt?
- I can't wait to see Paulie fight Hatton for some reason.
- Get outta here with David Diaz.

Sugar Shane Whups Clottey

tired.gif
Hatton in a clutch and grab fest with the easy W

roll.gif
Same thing I said....

Please God if you care about us boxing fans, please make the Nate/Joel Fight ASAP...
I need to see that FIGHT l;ike yesterday.

Please God if you care about us boxing fans, please make the Nate/Joel Fight ASAP...
I need to see that FIGHT l;ike yesterday.
Word. And I think Hatton is eager to get back on top and Paulie will catch him. Underrated.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

Not true, Vegas put in the glove weight rule so they can then perform a study on it. It was an experimental thing, and is still in place in a way. For fighters between 135 and 154, they have the option to use 8 or 10 oz gloves, but both fighters have to agree. If the fighters can't agree, both have to use 10 oz gloves. Margarito and Cotto have no problem with 8 oz gloves, so thats what they're gonna use. Besides, brain problems most of the time result in repeated blows to the head, not single big punches. Thats why dudes who suffer those redicuclous one punch knockouts end up fine, relatively speaking. The tragedies like Leavander Johnson and Duk Koo Kim weren't from one punch, but a ton of punches. Maybe if those fights are with 8 oz gloves, they get KO'd quicker and both are alive today.

From what I understood they conducted studies prior to implementing the rule, I didn't realize it was still in process.

I think there may have been a little research done, but from what i've read the rule was always an "experimental rule". Theyprobably wanted to expand the sample size so they changed the rules to get that sample size.

GUNNA GET IT wrote:
I need to see that FIGHT like yesterday.

Campbell-Casamayor purse bid!

Jacksonville, FL: The anticipated lightweight matchup between IBF/ WBO / WBA Champion Nate Campbell vs. WBO Interim Champion Joel Casamayor appears to be headed for a purse bid, according to Campbell's co-promoter Terry J. "I spoke to Don King about an hour ago, and Don will be requesting that the WBO order this fight to go to purse bid, since the "negotiations" went nowhere. Whether or not that results in Joel actually signing the bout agreement, well, we will have to see what happens with that. My guess is he won't, but this is the process we have to go through" said Trekas.

One potential problem appears to already have been resolved. Different sources have indicated that Team Campbell was expecting an 80-20 split in their favor, as the split was when the proposed Diaz-Katsidis matchup went to purse bid. Other sources indicate it would be a 50-50 split. Regarding the projected split, the very outspoken Campbell said the following; "You know what? It SHOULD be 80-20 my way. I took Diaz place, and he took Katsidis. I'm the world champ, and a multiple belt holder, and he is the interim champ. Same situatuion as Diaz-Katsidis. But if the WBO doesn't recognize me as a Super Champion like they did Diaz, then so be it. Even though I should be entitled to an 80-20 split my way, since I have 3 belts on the table and he has none, except of course for the Golden Boy belt, I'll tell you this much. For the opportunity to knock his butt into retirement once and for all, I'll take the 50-50. It's actually almost worth the 30% cut for the opportunity to stomp a mudhole in his $*%. So bring on the purse bid. And let's see if his so-called "promoter" will even show up for the bid, since they don't have a tv date. Rest assured that Don will be at that bid, date or no date, envelope in hand."

This is going to be a great fight but idon't know who'd win i give the slight favorite to Casamayor. (They fought before Casa won by Unanimous Decision)

What about you guys who do you think wins the fight?

Would rather see Clottey/Collazo.

Paulie boxes his way to a split decision. Ya'll sleepin' on my man, Paulie.

I want to be nice and give him a chance because of the whole "You're in my division" speech, which is true BUT...it's DavidDiaz.
laugh.gif
He beat a faded Erik Morales.

laugh.gif
@ Nate thinkin' 80/20 split. Respect to him but I think that onewin has him thinkin' he's bigger than he really is. I'm still gonna catch flack for this but I still say that had it not been for the cut, Juanwould've been on his way to the decision.

^ The cut definetly bothered Diaz but he simply got outboxed by Nate.

I also didn't think Nate deserves the 80/20 pay but he does have a point that he brings more to the table he holds the belts.

That purse bid means absolutely nothing. Casa is in all likelihood taking the Juan Diaz fight in November. Casa isn't the one with the belt, so he hasnothing to lose by ignoring the purse bid, and he's the one that doesn't want the fight. Golden Boy is trying to get Campbell to fight Marquez inNovember to set up a fight with Casa after that. Golden Boy has no interest in matching Casa with Nate, and they're trying to sell the Marquez fight toCampbell because if Marquez wins, Nate is out of the picture because Marquez would have all the belts, and Casa would be the lineal champ. Golden Boy wouldthen effectively run the lightweight division.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

laugh.gif
@ Nate thinkin' 80/20 split. Respect to him but I think that one win has him thinkin' he's bigger than he really is. I'm still gonna catch flack for this but I still say that had it not been for the cut, Juan would've been on his way to the decision.

I don't think so. I thought Nate was winning the fight even before the cut, and i wasn't seeing anything that would've made me thought Juanwas gonna turn it around. Cut or not cut, i think Nate takes that fight. Granted it would've been a little closer, but Nate still woulda took it.

Nate Campbell has become one of my favorite fighters. Check out his open letter to Schaefer
laugh.gif

just read an interview where you asked the question "is Nate Campbell only good at giving interviews, or is he willing to fight somebody the caliber of Marquez?".You should really think before you open your fat mouth. Who the hell are you to question my heart as a fighter? See, if you were actually a boxing guy, and not just some suit that by chance happened to marry someone in Oscar's family, then you'd have sense enough not to say something like that about a fighter. Especially about a World Champion. But you just don't know any better. Well, I've got a question for you too Richard. Do you actually know how to promote a show, or do you just have to wait every time for HBO to pull out their nipple for you to nurse on? When's the last time your company actually promoted a fight on it's own? Or do you just beg for HBO dates and site fees, and call yourself a promoter? And don't try and take credit for Oscar-Floyd, Floyd - Hatton, and other high dollar shows. You didn't promote those fights, HBO did.
If you think for one second that I'm gonna sit around till November waiting for Marquez, then you're even dumber than you look. Sure, it's an attractive fight, and one I would take, but I don't need to sit around and wait on Marquez, or anyone else for that matter. See, my thing is this. I have a REAL promoter, who doesn't just close up shop just because no tv dates happen to be available. As soon as this WBO mess is cleared up, I'll be fighting SOMEBODY. If you'd like that somebody to be Marquez, then give Don a number, get out of the way, and let a REAL promoter do the fight in July-August. But you know what? You won't do that. That's not in Golden Boys' "best interest". What's in your best interest is making Pac-Juan Diaz in November or December. So you try and get me and Marquez out of the way, so Arum has no other high profile fight for Pac other than Diaz or maybe Hatton, both of whom you happen to control. So don't act like you're giving me Marquez as some kind of mission about "making the best fights". Or you could at least fake it and come up with some really stupid number, and then you can issue press releases saying something like "We made a good offer, but Campbell obviously doesn't want to fight someone on the level of Marquez".

Now some people might wonder why I'm assuming Diaz beating Casamayor is a given. Everybody knows Casa screwed up your plans when he beat Katsidis. That wasn't supposed to happen. Everybody knows that. Especially after you screwed the Santa Cruz kid out of his rematch with Casa, and gave the fight to Katsidis as a "door prize" to Samson. I know, I know, you're doing "what's best for boxing", right? Well, I'll say it out loud right now. As long as Diaz finishes the fight on his feet, there's NO WAY Casamayor gets a decision.

Don't think for a second that I don't know what goes on in this game. I see the whole chessboard. You are trying to devalue the sanctioning bodies, and market your little "Golden Boy Belt" as the lineal title, thinking you can force everyone to sign with you in order to fight for that so-called "title". You want to be Dana White, and control everything within your own little world. You are fooling some people with that hogwash, but not everyone.

Unfortunately, most media people are so afraid of being denied credentials and access if they open their mouths, so they look the other way. But I'm you're worst nightmare Richard. I'm a fighter who knows the game, and isn't afraid to speak out about what you're doing. I am the IBF / WBO / WBA Lightweight Champion, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it. Unless of course you think you have someone in your stable who can beat me and shut me up. Do you?? Let's see…. You have Casamayor. Nope, you don't want him to fight me. Gotta keep that "Golden Boy Belt" in house. You have Juan Diaz. The kid still has nightmares about me. You have Katsidis. Ha, you'd only let that fight happen if he were allowed to keep that helmet on. You have Marquez. Sounds good to me. How's July or August for you guys? Oh, that's right. You can't do anything without HBO there to prop you up. And the fight only serves your purpose if it happens later in the year. My bad. What was I thinking?
You should stay away from interviews, and just stick to press releases telling everyone how great you are, and how good for boxing you are. And unless you have a serious fight offer, NOT one happening 7 or 8 months down the road, then just keep my name out of your mouth. I'm not about these games you're playing.

You have Katsidis. Ha, you'd only let that fight happen if he were allowed to keep that helmet on.

laugh.gif

NAAATEEEEEEEE

[Biggie] I been in this game for years, its made me an animal ...[/Biggie]

pimp.gif

This is what B.A.D. should be about...

I don't understand why they can't do this monthly.

EDIT: Has anybody ever seen Angulo fight? What's he about? Gutierrez(sp) is no joke.

Damn, Ann Wolfe is Kirkland's trainer? Nice.

laugh.gif
Haze,

LES, If I m thinking correctly, Angulo was last on ShoBox, and he beat someone Down...

Im pretty sure thats who Im thiinking of, He's Nice..

eek.gif
Angulo @%@*+ with Kimbo
pimp.gif

they got all of Miami behind them
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom