What i like:

Quick
Great counter puncher
Seems like he has a good chin
Stays active
he's in great shape.

What i dont like:

Gets to cocky
Lose the swag, it's not cool when your getting hit. If it was someone with power you'd be losing.
Doesn't keep his hands up
Not much power.

He reminds of a smaller and quicker Calzaghe with all the pitty pat punches and a little ricky hatton with all the holding.

I think Angulo showed us some good promise tonite.

Dude performed took a big punch and came back same round with the stoppage.

That was impressive
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Gamboa got Rocked AGAIN

**I dont think I'll be joining yall on the Gamboa Wagon**
i wouldnt be either thats the only fight i caught tonight but he was getting rocked all night and he swings wide so anyone with fast hands will eat himalive since he reachs back so far to fire shots.

my review of the night

Kirkland -Albert - Kirkland pretty much jumped on him Albert was never in it but good short punches from Kirkland .

Angulo-Guiterez - Good scrap Angulo is should be a staple TV fighter , Guiterez hit him with some good stuff in the first rd .
Angulo adjusted and in the second and started landing the harder straighter shots and doing excellent body work . But he got a good test in there tonight andhe showed a good chin and the ability to come back after getting rocked and stopping Guiterez in the same rd . He showed a lot tonight.

Gamboa- Jimenez - the first thing you notice was the speed and he is very fast . It was pretty much going according to plan til the 4th when the cockyness anddefensive lapses caught up with him (Gamboa) and he got dropped . But after that he went back to doing what ever he wanted but he just kept dropping his handsand that is something he will have to work on . He fights a lot like Meldrick Taylor same rapid combinations and all . He is pretty athletic and has greatreflexes there was nice sequence in the 7th where he dipped and dodged about 6 shots from Jimenez . he's a good prospect just needs to keep his hands up

Can I get off on the next stop of the Gamboa train?
laugh.gif

Na, he still looked really impressive but his stock dropped a little. Lewis basically said the same thing I did about his defense, that he drops his handswhen he's comfortable and not threatened by the opponent and can use it to his advantage but he got a little toocomfortable and I'm concerned he may be too stubborn and cocky to make the necessary adjustments. I figured with him amateur background it would besomething not to worry about so much. He took some good shots and he didn't seem really hurt from the knockdown or at any point in the fight I canremember nor was he discouraged, and I know Jimenez isn't a huge puncher but he isn't feather fisted either and Gamboa's chin held up pretty well.

I know this was only his 10th pro fight but he's certainly not new to fighting and he's 26-27 years old so hopefully he can work on his defense.

At the very least I think he can make for some exciting fights in the future based his incredible offense, his willingness to take shots, and his heart.

Man, yall gotta cut Gamboa some slack. Jimenez was the most proven of any of the 3 "opponents" tonight. In his last fight he starched Mike Anchondoin 3, and Anchondo was 2 fights removed from a world title. Aside from the 1 knockdown, Gamboa didn't lose a single round the entire fight. Gamboa cancrack, too. Jimenez has a real good chin and had the ear muffs on most of the fight, so Gamboa couldn't really catch him clean. Gamboa gettin droppedwasn't really serious, he didn't seem hurt and was in control of just about every other moment of the fight. For yall hoppiin off the Gamboa bandwagon,don't forget that Berto got dropped and failed to stop Cosme Rivera a few fights back, then rebounded to criminally assault David Estrada. Son has had 10fights, and just beat an arguably top 10 Super-Featherweight with EASE. Keep it in perspective.

As for the other fights Kirkland is just scary. I had a feeling he was gonna walk through Albert, and he sure did. Dude is crazy, and i think Anne Wolfe isactually the perfect trainer for him. If anyone can keep dude hungry an intense all the damn time, it'd be her. He is gonna be FUN to watch. As forAngulo-Gutierrez, i'm dissappointed
smh.gif
. Angulo was the most impressive compared to what i was expecting out of all 3. Dude's D was a bit better than igave him credit for, and son has CRAZY work rate. I really didn't expect him to throw 120 punches a round, especially all the bombs the threw. Let Angulo,Kirkland, and Julio each win belts at 154, and then start to unify them, and the 154 pound division would actually matter.

Gotta give it up for my man Gutierrez though. That man showed major heart. He was gettin cracked with some SERIOUS shots and was pushin Angulo off and firinback, and refused to go down. He may have been taken the loss, but dude unquestionably went out on his shield. When dudes show heart like that, they deserve tobe appreciated.

For yall hoppiin off the Gamboa bandwagon, don't forget that Berto got dropped and failed to stop Cosme Rivera a few fights back, then rebounded to criminally assault David Estrada. Son has had 10 fights, and just beat an arguably top 10 Super-Featherweight with EASE. Keep it in perspective.
Tru but Cosmo landed the luckiest punch of the nite, he didnt hit Andre before or after that.
Jiminez had a yr off before this fight, didnt he?
and I didnt know this but Gamboa had been knocked down once before in one of his first 9 fights.

Here's why I can get by any of Berto's defensive struggles faster than I can Gamboa's:
KNOCKOUT POWER
Berto can knock dudes out with one punch. Gamboa is not a power puncher. and his defensive liabilities will show aot more than Andre. I saw Gamboa throw 4 - 7punch combos landing flush in round 9 and 10 and the only problem for his opponent was the speed. If Andre hits ANYONEwith a 4 - 7 punch combo in any round, fight is over.
Every fighter has weaknesses, Gamboa could be great, but he showed that he got ALOT of work to do, and they have to slow down this fast track of competition they have him on.

Berto got power, but Gamboa too me seems like if needed he'd be the better boxer. Also, the other Knockdown is BS. I saw the fight where it happened, andit was just a slip. There wasn't even a punch landed. Also, Jimenez is a better fighter than Rivera, he's probably going to land more shots on Gamboathan most others.

sorry, i just got up when i wrote that and couldn't put sentences together properly. Jiminez landed more punches on Gamboa than most fighters he'llface. Jimenez has decent handspeed for a 130 pounder, and is fairly accurate with what he throws. Not a ton of fighters at 130 with that combo. Plus like isaid, Jimenez is a pretty underrated fighter right now. I'd put him in the top 10 at 130 pounds, and Gamboa won 9 out of 10 rounds. Sure the Defense wasleaky and the KD wasn't good, but winning 9 of 10 rounds against a borderline top 10 fighter in your 10th pro fight is pretty damn impressive. He'll bebetter off for the experience of getting dropped on HBO and getting hit more than he ever had before. He's supposed to be back on ESPN2 in about a month,so it'll be interesting to see if he makes any corrections. He's fighting another good fighter, Jose Rojas. Rojas has lost once since 2001, and thatwas a decision loss to Chris John, the Featherweight champion who beat JMM a couple years back.

Naw, 140 is as high as he's gonna go. He's 27 years old, so he isn't gonna get a whole lot bigger. If he was in his early 20's i might be ableto see it, but at this point i don't think he'll need to go up to 147. He may choose to if he gets to 140 and clears it out, but i doubt he'd everactually grow out of 140.

I still say that this kid is gonna be one of the best, if not THE BEST fighter in the world in a couple of years...

Re-watching the fight now...

1. That knockdown wasn't anything serious, IMO. He caught him on the side of the head plus it was a mix of Gamboa being off-balance

2. The punches that Jimenez would land "flush" were only while Gamboa was on his way him. You can't hit this kid from the outside becausehe's always on the move. As I said last night and Gunna you agreed...he's alot like Sweet Pea.

I still say this kid is gonna be one of the best if not THE BEST fighter in the world someday...

Re-watching the fight now.

IMO, that KD wasn't serious. I think it was a mix of him being rattled (It was on the side of the head) and Gamboa being off balance.

Most of these "flush" shots that Jimenez is landing are only when Gamboa is on his way in. It's gonna be hard to hit this kid because he'salways on the move. As I said last night, and Gunna you agreed...he's alot like Sweet Pea.

Gamboa throw 4 - 7 punch combos landing flush in round 9 and 10 and the only problem for his opponent was the speed. If Andre hits ANYONE with a 4 - 7 punch combo in any round, fight is over.
Jimenez has never been knocked out.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

For yall hoppiin off the Gamboa bandwagon, don't forget that Berto got dropped and failed to stop Cosme Rivera a few fights back, then rebounded to criminally assault David Estrada. Son has had 10 fights, and just beat an arguably top 10 Super-Featherweight with EASE. Keep it in perspective.
Tru but Cosmo landed the luckiest punch of the nite, he didnt hit Andre before or after that.
Jiminez had a yr off before this fight, didnt he?
and I didnt know this but Gamboa had been knocked down once before in one of his first 9 fights.

Here's why I can get by any of Berto's defensive struggles faster than I can Gamboa's:
KNOCKOUT POWER
Berto can knock dudes out with one punch. Gamboa is not a power puncher. and his defensive liabilities will show aot more than Andre. I saw Gamboa throw 4 - 7 punch combos landing flush in round 9 and 10 and the only problem for his opponent was the speed. If Andre hits ANYONE with a 4 - 7 punch combo in any round, fight is over.
Every fighter has weaknesses, Gamboa could be great, but he showed that he got ALOT of work to do, and they have to slow down this fast track of competition they have him on.

I think Gamboa has pretty good power. If you compare Berto and Gamboa's first 10 fights, the KO's look similar except Gamboa has faced a higherlevel of opposition. Jimenez has some good defense and a good chin, and like Amo said he covered up the whole fight. His face did look battered by the end ofthe night. P4P speaking I might give Berto a slight edge on power, but I certainly wouldn't say that Gamboa lacks power.

wait, this dude is 27 already,
eek.gif
I had no clue.
Im definitely not aboard this train at all. He's ingrained with his bad habits pretty deep.

smh.gif
I went into last nights fight thinkin dude was @ 22 yrs old ...

The last few guys Berto has fought havent been knocked out either....

til they fought him.
wink.gif
pimp.gif

^Yea, that's what I was thinking. With his experience and age I really wonder if can make the adjustment. He may be able to improve on it but I feelhe'll often revert back to it. The thing is he didn't really seem to care that he was getting hit and continued pressing the action in the same style. This could make for some fan friendly fights and even though I think he showed a good chin, it could eventually catch up to him.

Now I see why they got him on this fast track, they can't afford to take their time with him, 30 yrs of age is rite around the corner.

Honest opinions,
Who in the upper tier of 130 - 135 lbers, do yall see him beating?

TEAM GAMBOA FIRED! ( )
FightBeat.com's Miguel Salazar has just learned through a reliable source that after Gamboa somewhat dismal performance on HBO's May 17 triple-header, everyone in Team Gamboa has been fired.

Although Gamboa displayed a tremendous amount of speed and footwork, Darling Jimenez was able to drop him and land several right hands that seemed to stun Gamboa on several occasions.

Earlier this week FightBeat's Craig Medaris (forum member Tam-Tam)received uncorroborated information that Gamboa had been dropped in sparring by a journeyman in the gym.

So now the search for a new trainer begins. Will Gamboa seek out Floyd Mayweather Sr?

eek.gif
Gad Damn

Earlier this week FightBeat's Craig Medaris (forum member Tam-Tam)received uncorroborated information that Gamboa had been dropped in sparring by a journeyman in the gym.

ahhh man
smh.gif
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom