2010: Drake 2011: J. Cole 2012: Kendrick 2013: ??? Vol. Who got next

I like Kendrick's music but I can't ever see him being on top of the rap game. Maybe in today's "rap", compared to what? J. Cole, Drake, and the other few mainstream artists?

2013 year= A$AP hopefully. If not I'll settle for Keef, Reese, Fredo, and Durk

FERG

images

....everybody wants to blow up...
so everybody wants their favorite artists to blow up.
*shrugs* pretty simple. :lol:

I don't believe everyone thinks like that at all.

As I said I acknowledge that some of my favorite artists won't blow up because I am a realist and quite honestly I don't really care. I don't feel any more validation as a fan because the masses also like a particular artist I like based on sales. Whether they blow up or not what does it mean to me or if I am a fan of their music and they are putting out great music?! It means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things however the quality of music that the artist puts out will always mean something. I just don't get all the concern among hip-hop fans as to whether your favorite artist will blow up. Its as if hip-hop fans (especially on NT) don't realize that EVERYONE can't blow up.

Well said and I agree with you to an extent... but lets say you equate your fav artist "blowing up" to your favorite team or player winning a championship....

Why cant that be the same type of feeling or emotion that fans are putting out there when they openly speak on wanting an artist to blow?

Seeing someone or something you appreciate as a fan "winning" at what they do, isnt really that bad.

But if we focus solely on hip-hop or music in general then the quality of the music def becomes more of a factor, as history has shown.

Once again where are ya'll getting the thought that Keef will do remotely anything positive in the real rap world. Most of his fans are 16 yr old hood cats who damn sure ain't copping the album.
He has absolutely zero charisma, has already reached his peak with don't like, NOTHING seperates him from any other trap rapper & his sound is heavily based on a sound that started two years ago and is going to begin to die.
I mean if your going to claim its someones year they have to have respectable sales and a critically acclaimed album (Based off the comparisons of drake, cole, Kendrick etc.... All three had national tours, hit singles, Rolled with legends in hiphop, Went atleast gold, & came out with good music)
Now based off that criteria what in the blur **** would have you believe that chief Keef is going to blow

Dude...Love Sosa has 9 million views on YouTube and it released 3 weeks ago. People go nuts when that **** comes on in the club....and this is a bunch of college kids, not 16 year old hood cats. The key ingredients to blowing up are college kids, hipsters and white chicks. I know he's just about brain dead, but he's got those categories on deck right now. And Kanye hopped on dude's first track...he already has that legend category filled. He's not going away anytime soon.

Well said and I agree with you to an extent... but lets say you equate your fav artist "blowing up" to your favorite team or player winning a championship....
Why cant that be the same type of feeling or emotion that fans are putting out there when they openly speak on wanting an artist to blow?
Seeing someone or something you appreciate as a fan "winning" at what they do, isnt really that bad.
But if we focus solely on hip-hop or music in general then the quality of the music def becomes more of a factor, as history has shown.

Ace, I can dig that analogy about wanting your favorite team or player winning a championship. Its funny cause I am a huge sports fan and sports journalist but I don't feel the same way when it comes to artists as I do when it comes to my sports teams.

However if someone feels that way I can't really knock them. I guess I look at my favorite artists as "winning" when they produce great "critically acclaimed" albums and not necessarily by "blowing up"/ selling records.

Just for the record I am not knocking anyone that feels that way just bringing up something I have observed in hip-hop. Definitely appreciate the discussion though.

idk man ...I'm blowed. i'll come back to this convo tomorrow. :lol:
View media item 118649

:x :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: nominee for post of the year , mite be ridin that same boat

and to be honest idk it would be too hard to tell because i feel the game as a whole is so diverse and that level of diversity is very high. I mean I was gonna come in here and be like obvious troll bout keef cause I thought hes trash, but I mean he's just popular in that section of similar rap, i mean i dont think someone that enjoys kdot is going to feel the same towards chief keef, and all these artists we talkin bout are all in different type of rappin style/subgenre watever. I feel only drake's been able to cross those boundaries across the board EDIT: in terms of selling records or grabbin some interest from a person that usually doesn't listen that kind of rap as much

sorry did a little too much :smokin too :lol:

Last edited:
I don't keep up with new artists just like I dont follow college bball. It's too many to keep up with, I'll just wait until the right ones get popular and make it big. I gets down with rocky tho, son is smooth with it. I have no clue why chief keef is relevant. I am leagues ahead of him, I just dont put the time into the craft. I'm sure there are tons of guys that are do put in work that are better than him tho.

I just watched a few minutes of love sosa. He's basically the next waka flocka. Nothing more nothing less. Pointless gang violence rap glorifying the murder of those who oppose their "clique" and the use of illegal weapons with random obscenities scattered here and there.

So.....I'm guessing OP forgot that 2Chainz ran 2012?

2-chainz-u-did-that.jpg

Dude was on almost every track on Urban radio, got signed to Kanye, and debuted with a number 1 album.

I think next is honestly up for grabs. If keef is next then let's just say rap is at a all time low at least that's how I feel basically.

2Chainz is new if you started listening to rap in 2010. He did shine like crazy in 2012, but when you're talking about new dudes, he doesn't count. If Red Cafe builds some buzz, gets hot :smile:rollin) and drops his debut next year, that doesn't mean he's new

2Chainz is new if you started listening to rap in 2010. He did shine like crazy in 2012, but when you're talking about new dudes, he doesn't count. If Red Cafe builds some buzz, gets hot :smile:rollin) and drops his debut next year, that doesn't mean he's new
The general public didn't even know who 2Chainz was before he came out so miss we with that ****. You might as well exclude Kendrick since he already dropped an Independent album last year.

Did my post personally hurt you? Based on that logic, you'd exclude J.Cole from 2011, and Drake from 2010. 2Chainz isn't considered a new artist. Artists in general build some type of buzz (regardless of independent albums/mixtapes) and if they get really hot and somebody takes notice, they'll be on the charts sooner or later. 2Chainz may not have been none to the general public as he is now, but since 2000, he's been on plenty of major label albums, including Luda, I-20, the DTP compilations, and his own 2 Playaz Circle albums, which weren't even that long ago. 2Chainz has been on hip hop's radar for a very long time before he dropped his debut, so in no way is he a new rapper. Neither Drake, Cole nor Kendrick have been on the radar long before their debuts dropped.

Did my post personally hurt you? Based on that logic, you'd exclude J.Cole from 2011, and Drake from 2010. 2Chainz isn't considered a new artist. Artists in general build some type of buzz (regardless of independent albums/mixtapes) and if they get really hot and somebody takes notice, they'll be on the charts sooner or later. 2Chainz may not have been none to the general public as he is now, but since 2000, he's been on plenty of major label albums, including Luda, I-20, the DTP compilations, and his own 2 Playaz Circle albums, which weren't even that long ago. 2Chainz has been on hip hop's radar for a very long time before he dropped his debut, so in no way is he a new rapper. Neither Drake, Cole nor Kendrick have been on the radar long before their debuts dropped.
*****, fall back. He's considered a new solo artist whether you like it or not. And drake a had plent of buzz before he dropped.

He's not young, but he just released his major debut so he's a new artist; and ran 2012.
1. i said major label debut. i promise i did. go look. Section.80....not on a major label.
2. Kendrick makes better music + had better sales. both bases covered...so what are you talking about? oh because he was featured on lots of songs w/ the same exact verse and got a nice buzz it was his year? no. kendrick's album has genre shifting implications AND it sold more first week (and will probably go on to sell more than 2 chainz altogehter)

1. i said major label debut. i promise i did. go look. Section.80....not on a major label.
2. Kendrick makes better music + had better sales. both bases covered...so what are you talking about? oh because he was featured on lots of songs w/ the same exact verse and got a nice buzz it was his year? no. kendrick's album has genre shifting implications AND it sold more first week (and will probably go on to sell more than 2 chainz altogehter)
1. And Based on a TRU story was 2Chainz major label debut
2. Better music is subjective. Go outside and most people will tell you a good number of songs with 2Chainz they like and probably only give you Swimming Pools or ADHD for Kendrick. Kendrick didn't have that grind. And could care less about his sales. If you want to make arguments like that 2 Chainz sold more singles.

Stop being a **** boy.

Back
Top Bottom