2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Good win for JuanMa. Luevano is no slouch.

Can't wait for JuanMa/Gamboa. I think they both have styles that can be effective against each other. Gamboa has more athleticism and faster reflexes tho.

Something about JuanMa's stance or footwork that seems off to me. Maybe thats why he gets hit alot like GUNNA alluded too.

edit:
MAC/Yuri fight card
nerd.gif

I think Arum said he might make this a PPV.

Arum WILL make JuanMa/Gamboa a PPV.

I'm still takin' JuanMa. Because he been in the ring with better opposition.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Lets do this. Gamboa vs JuanMa ...

Hope its on regular HBO or perhaps on MAC/Yuri fight card
nerd.gif

arum said if he put the Mac fight at yankee stadium Gamboa VS JuanMa would be on the undercard

Looks like we're not gonna get JuanMa/Gamboa in the Summer. Arum wants to let it marinate.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Lopez, Gamboa on collision course[/h2]

Comment http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=4852922#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...=Lopez, Gamboa on collision course&id=4852922">http://sendtofriend.espn.... course...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat scroll left top; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" rel="nofollow">Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_e_manuel12_576.jpg
Chris Farina/Top Rank Juan Manuel Lopez, right, proved too much for an outgunned Steven Luevano.

NEWYORK -- This is the blueprint for building toward a big fight. It's ablueprint that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum knows very well after 40years in boxing.

It's slow and steady and in the not toodistant future he figures -- and he's probably right -- that fight fanswill be begging to see a featherweight showdown between titleholdersJuan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa.

After theperformances that they each turned in on Saturday night, Arum canprobably already hear the cash register humming because both lookedsensational blowing out their legitimate opponents.

Lopez,a junior featherweight titleholder, moved up in weight and blitzedSteven Luevano for a one-sided seventh-round knockout to capture hissecond world title.

"I dream of being a world champion infour divisions. This is the second one," he said. "I'm very happy Igave the crowd a great fight."

And in the co-feature,Gamboa crushed Rogers Mtagwa in two lopsided rounds in defense of his126-pound belt before an enthusiastic near-sellout crowd of 5,142 atthe Theater at Madison Square Garden.

"I've got two horsesand I want them to wipe out everybody in the featherweight division andwhen they finally meet, people will go crazy," Arum said.

Arum is as savvy as anyone. He has no intention of putting themtogether right away. He'll milk it, tend to it, grow it and do his bestto make it into a blockbuster fight in which everyone gets paid a lotof money.

"From what I've seen tonight, I want these guys to go against every great featherweight out there," Arum said.

Thefirst stop on the ride to the showdown he hopes will be a summer HBOcard from two sites featuring Lopez defending his title at home inPuerto Rico and Gamboa defending his belt in his adopted hometown ofMiami.

"We'll have just cleaned up all the featherweights and then wheneveryone is panting about seeing these guys fight each other, I'll do abig, big blowout kind of show," Arum said. "I promote both of them. Iowe it to both of them to make them the biggest amount of money theycan make. I'm not going to rush it. I can build it like a son of a gun.Then in the summer of 2011, with all the Cubans and all the PuertoRicans, we'll talk to [New York Giants owner] Steve Tisch about puttingit in the new Meadowlands Stadium.

"It'sa great fight, but it's got to be the kind of fight where, even thoughthey are only 126 pounders, they will make a s---load of money."

Arumsaid he would be willing to match either of them with the likes offeatherweight titleholder Chris John, junior featherweight titlistCelestino Caballero and the winner of the Feb. 13 MarioSantiago-Bernabe Concepcion fight.

"Don't I owe it to mytwo guys to build this into the biggest fight I can? It will be a huge,huge fight, but not right now," Arum said.

It was thesecond consecutive card that Lopez and Gamboa have fought on together.They did so in October, when Gamboa looked terrific in a knockoutvictory, but Lopez was in a life-and-death battle with Mtagwa, nearlygetting knocked out in the 11th and 12th rounds.

That sure wasn't the case on Saturday, when Lopez dispatched Luevano (37-2-1, 15 KOs) with surprising ease.

Withthe heavily Puerto Rican crowd on his side, Lopez was pitching ashutout on two scorecards going into the seventh and had lost only oneround on the third card.

"I knew I had to do better than Idid last time here. I had to be smart," Lopez said. "The four poundswas a big difference, moving up to 126. I knew I had to be smart and bepatient, and that's what I was."

Lopez (28-0, 25 KOs), 26,had swelled up Luevano's left eye and bloodied his nose with pinpointright hooks and uppercuts before finishing him with a series of shots.

Luevano,28, who was making his sixth defense, collapsed in the corner and wasvery wobbly getting to his feet. When he stumbled taking a stepforward, referee Benji Esteves called it off at 44 seconds.

Gamboa(17-0, 15 KOs) had an even easier time with Mtagwa (26-14-2, 18 KOs)and made a big statement about how the proposed future fight with Lopezmight go, especially after Lopez struggled so severely with Mtagwa lastfall.

Gamboa, the electrifying 28-year-old former Olympic gold medalist andCuban defector, was not tested in the slightest. Making his seconddefense, Gamboa's speed was overwhelming and obvious immediately, andin the first round every punch Gamboa landed seemed to rock Mtagwa.

A left hand on top of the head knocked Mtagwa down with about 10 seconds left in the round.

It got no better for Mtagwa, 30, the rugged Philadelphia brawler originally from Tanzania.

Gamboa,who showed more patience and a tighter defense than he has in recentfights, was landing flush shots with both hands and then knocked Mtagwadown on the end of a left hand with about a minute to go in the round.

Mtagwa survived but Gamboa launched another assault and dropped himagain, forcing referee Steve Smoger to call it off without a count.

"Weknew he was fast but we felt we would try to get through three roundsand battle, but he just caught real bad, really early," said JoeParella, Mtagwa's manager.

Although Mtagwa had lost toLopez last year, he earned rave reviews for his gritty performance andthe shot at Gamboa. Gamboa, however, didn't want to compare himself toLopez.

"I hope that with this performance that nobodycompares me to Juanma. He's Juanma. I am Yuriorkis Gamboa," he said."We are two different boxers. You can't compare. I am here todemonstrate my skills. I am here to face anyone and beat anyone in mydivision.

"You have to look and see that we were indifferent weight divisions when each fought Mtagwa. I don't think youcan get anything from seeing me and Mtagwa and him and Mtagawa."

When asked if he wanted to fight Lopez, Gamboa was noncommittal.

"It's in the hands of promoters," he said. "I am ready for whatever boxers they put in front of me."

Lopez agreed.

"Thisis business. If it makes sense, fine with me," he said of the possiblefuture showdown. "If it makes sense now, we'll do it. If it doesn't,we'll wait. Whatever the company [Top Rank] wants. But I knoweventually I'll fight him."

And if Arum has his way, we'll all be panting for it.

Hope its on regular HBO or perhaps on MAC/Yuri fight card
nerd.gif

Nah, they're definitely going to put that on PPV.  Stand to make a ton of money off of JML/Gamboa at the Garden.

And Arum's been saying they'll still share one more card before making a fight.  Wonder who they'll have at 126, I doubt any of them will get in the ring w/John.  I still stand by my statement, Caballero would eat JML alive in the ring.  I have no doubt or qualmes about that.  JML's been ducking him for a year now but Arum would never risk his pockets getting fatter on JML/Gamboa.  Sucks for Caballero since there's pretty much no one left at 122.

Pacquiao-Clottey tickets on fire on first day of sales

Saturday, January 23, 2010 | Print Entry

NEW YORK -- Sure, most boxing fans really, really wanted to see pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao fight Floyd Mayweather on March 13. While that fight isn't happening now because of their inability to agree on how to handle drug testing for the bout, the public seems to have accepted with open arms Pacquiao's replacement fight.

He's going to meet former welterweight titleholder Joshua Clottey on HBO PPV on March 13 in the first boxing event to be held at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, outside of Dallas.

In just the first three hours of public tickets sales (preceded by three days of limited pre-sales) on Saturday, more than 20,000 of the approximately 40,000 available were gobbled up. They ranged in price from $50 to $700.

"Ross Greenburg and I are very gratified that the public has responded like they have, and we are happy for our partner (Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told me on Saturday night at the Madison Square Garden Theater.

Arum and Greenburg, the president of HBO Sports, were sitting together shortly before the telecast of Top Rank's doubleheader, featuring featherweight title bouts pitting Steven Luevano and Juan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa and Rogers Mtagwa.

Arum said if the demand for the fight continues the capacity of the stadium, which is 100,000 or so for Cowboys games, can easily be increased.

"It's going to be quite a night," Arum said. "And Jerry isn't just a one-event guy. If he sees this as a success you can be sure he'll do more boxing in that great stadium."

Also Saturday night, junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman and former welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto were in the house. Arum, who promotes both, was talking with both sides trying to finalize a June 12 fight between them, which he is planning for in the Madison Square Garden main arena.

I doubt any of them will get in the ring w/John
Don't see it happening either.

Actually, can't picture any Top Rank/GBP co-promoted bouts in the immediate future
smh.gif

Yeah, me neither...

But at the end of the day, they're in the business of making money and we all know how much Arum loves money. Is he also still sour over the fact that whenever Pac-Man fights, a percentage goes to GBP?

Can't believe Pac-Man/Clottey is selling the way it is. Decent fight, don't get me wrong but...that along w/ another weak top rank undercard? I'll pass. I think it's not so much the fight, just the idea of it being in Cowboys Stadium...place is amazing.

ProShares, is Caballero really THAT good? 

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

I doubt any of them will get in the ring w/John
Don't see it happening either.

Actually, can't picture any Top Rank/GBP co-promoted bouts in the immediate future
smh.gif

John wouldnt beat either of them . He's about over.

Eh say what you want about John but he's only been down maybe 2 or 3 times in 45 fights. He's one of the best in the game at avoiding being hit. Not saying he'd beat them, but that's a dangerous fight to mess up the potential showdown.

And Caballero is that good. He busted up Ponce De Leon when he was what JML is today, the young and undefeated phenom. I followed this other kid Steve Molitor from Canada who I thought would win some belts at 122 and 126 and Caballero ate him up and knocked him out in 4 rounds. He holds two belts there, he's done enough to deserve a shot at JML and he's been calling him out for a long time now.

Mannnnnn both Juan Ma and Gamboa would Knock John into retirement. those feather fists wouldnt discourage either of them from doing what they wanted

Mannnnnn both Juan Ma and Gamboa would Knock John into retirement. those feather fists wouldnt discourage either of them from doing what they wanted
agreed.  Cabellero would get owned as well.

There's a reason they didn't want JML in the ring w/Caballero after he beat Ponce De Leon so I'll leave it at that. If you think Caballero would get owned, you've never watched him fight.

My sister hits harder than Marcos Ramirez and Darling Jiminez and they both put Gamboa on the canvas. Feather fist and all will still be a tough fight for the both of them.

I have watched Cabellero fight...and yes I'd take JuanMa over that tall, lanky twig.  I know most people have in their top 15 p4p, but im just not on that hype. 

just checked out that kid jose benavidez first fight against some bum, lol his opponent was blocking after he was knocked out....look forward to see more fights from this kid.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Yeah, me neither...

But at the end of the day, they're in the business of making money and we all know how much Arum loves money. Is he also still sour over the fact that whenever Pac-Man fights, a percentage goes to GBP?

Can't believe Pac-Man/Clottey is selling the way it is. Decent fight, don't get me wrong but...that along w/ another weak top rank undercard? I'll pass. I think it's not so much the fight, just the idea of it being in Cowboys Stadium...place is amazing.

ProShares, is Caballero really THAT good? 

I'm not Proshares, but i'll answer that one for you:  NO!
The only reason Caballero wins is because he's so tall and long.  Hella awkward, hands are that fast, loops his shots at times. Hes just so damn tall dudes cant get in on him.

Oh yeah, Gamboa
pimp.gif
.  I know the sig is outdated, but i've been on this bandwagon from the beginning.

I hope that fight gets made so I can shut up about it
laugh.gif

[h2]
[h2]Cuban Gamboa smokes Mtagwa in 2[/h2]
Comment http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...Mtagwa, inches toward Lopez showdo&id=4855910">http://sendtofriend.espn.... showdo...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" target="_blank" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=4855910#">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat left top" onclick="event.returnValue=false; return false;" href="javascript:void(0);" rel=nofollow>Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

• box_e_mtagwa_576.jpg

Chris Farina/Top Rank
    Rogers Mtagwa, left, never stood a chance against Yuriorkis Gamboa.
  • box_e_manuel11_576.jpg

Chris Farina/Top Rank
    Juan Manuel Lopez looked like his old self in dominating Steven Luevano.
  • box_e_duddy_576.jpg

Chris Farina/Top Rank
    John Duddy inched closer to a showdown with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. by blasting out Juan Astorga.

« Down and out | Back in form | Duddy dominates »

A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:
[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at New York
[/th][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Lopez, 28-0, 25 KOs; Luevano, 37-2-1, 15 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In October, Lopez struggled mightily in a junior featherweight title defense against Rogers Mtagwa at Madison Square Garden. Lopez barely hung on to make it to the final bell after being nearly knocked out at the end of the 11th round and getting batted around the ring for the entire 12th round. But that hellish night seems like a long time ago after seeing Lopez's outstanding performance in the main event of HBO's "Boxing After Dark" in the same arena with a raucous, near-sellout crowd of 5,142 (mostly Puerto Ricans) almost all rooting for him. Lopez was moving up in weight and challenging the steady Luevano, 28, a fellow southpaw who had made six title defenses and faced some quality opponents. But he just didn't have enough firepower to keep Lopez, 26, off of him. Lopez dominated the fight. His punches were much heavier than Luevano's and they took their toll. Luevano, of La Puente, Calif., had a bloody nose and a swollen left eye. He ate a ton of shots and had only won a single round on one scorecard going into the seventh round. That's when a furious Lopez attack dumped Luevano to the canvas near the ropes. He was very shaky as he got to his feet to beat the count, but his legs were a mess, and referee Benji Esteves wisely called it off.

It was a terrific performance for the Puerto Rican star, who did his thing with famed countrymen Felix Trinidad and Miguel Cotto at ringside. The victory gave Lopez a title in his second weight class -- he hopes to someday win titles in four divisions. Combined with featherweight titleholder Yuriorkis Gamboa's flawless destruction of Mtagwa in the co-feature, the drum beat continued for an eventual Lopez-Gamboa clash. They appeared together on the October card and again on this one. Now, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who wants to build their fight into a mega event, would like them to fight on the same HBO date from separate fights in the spring. He'd like to put Lopez in Puerto Rico against a top opponent and Gamboa in his adopted hometown of Miami against another quality opponent. Arum ran off a list of names, including titleholder Chris John, unified junior featherweight titlist Celestino Caballero, Bernabe Concepcion and Mario Santiago, and said he wouldn't shy away from matching them with anyone. He claimed he wanted Lopez and Gamboa to clean out the 126-pound division until they were the last two standing before matching them in a fight the public would be salivating for. If Arum really matches them with good opponents in the interim, great. If he wants to just milk them for a few more fights against lesser opponents while making us wait for the big one, no thanks. He says he wants the former route. Let's see if he delivers.

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Featherweight
Yuriorkis Gamboa TKO2 Rogers Mtagwa
Retains a featherweight title
[tr][td]Records: Gamboa, 17-0, 15 KOs; Mtagwa, 26-14-2, 18 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Gamboa is absolutely electrifying to watch and his hand speed is incredible. Has there been a faster fighter in the sport since Meldrick Taylor was in his prime? Gamboa, 28, the 2004 Cuban Olympic gold medalist who defected after a brilliant amateur career, might be even faster than the best of Floyd Mayweather, Roy Jones, Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley. Seriously. Mtagwa, 30, of Philadelphia but born in Tanzania, is no slow poke, but he looked like he was in neutral while Gamboa looked like he was in fifth gear as soon as the fight began. At one point in the fight, it looked like Gamboa got off five punches before Mtagwa could even put his hands up.

Mtagwa was tapped for the fight because of his excellent performance against Juan Manuel Lopez in their October junior featherweight title bout. Top Rank has designs on an eventual Lopez-Gamboa showdown, so what better way to compare them then by having face the same solid opponent in consecutive fights? Mtagwa had given Lopez everything he could possibly handle when they met and he came pretty darn close to knocking Lopez out in the 11th and 12th rounds in one of the best fights of 2009. But against Gamboa, he had no chance. He was a sitting duck. While Gamboa dispatched him quickly, he actually showed some patience for a change. In Gamboa's early fights, he's been wild as wild can be, going right after his opponent and often leaving himself open defensively, which is why he's been knocked down several times. However, he seems to be fighting in a bit more of a controlled, professional style the past couple of fights. He looked sensational against Mtagwa. He took his time and still scored a knockdown in the first round when he landed a left hand on the top of Mtagwa's head in the final seconds of the round. In the second round, it was only a matter of time until the fight was over. Gamboa was pounding him with everything and dropped him again with about a minute left. A few seconds later, referee Steve Smoger properly called it off as Mtagwa went down again under heavy fire.

As explosive and exciting as Gamboa is to watch, and as much as many of us would love to see him face Lopez, a word about his bogus belt given to him by the rancid WBA for no apparent reason: Chris John is the WBA titleholder, but was elevated to "super champion" even though he is not a unified titleholder. Gamboa, who defended his trinket for the second time, certainly has the talent to be a legitimate champion and he might be one someday. But he isn't yet, not when the WBA just gives out belts for no reason other than a few bucks. The fight that should be made is John against Gamboa. Although Top Rank's Bob Arum doesn't promote John, he said it's a fight he'd like to do as he builds toward a potential Lopez-Gamboa super showdown.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Middleweight
John Duddy KO1 Juan Astorga
[tr][td]Records: Duddy, 28-1, 17 KOs; Astorga, 14-4-1, 9 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In 2008, Duddy was considered as a potential opponent for middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik, but a poor performance and serious cuts against Walid Smichet killed the fight, and uneven performances after that didn't help. Neither did an upset loss to Billy Lyell in April. But Ireland's Duddy is still a good attraction in New York, where he is based, and his fans turn out. He sure didn't disappoint against Astorga in winning his second in a row since the loss to Lyell. Astorga, 31, who dropped to 2-3 in his last five, was never in the fight. The Texas native couldn't last two minutes. Duddy dropped him with a decent right hand on the top of the head. It was more of a flash knockdown than anything too serious. The next solid shot from Duddy, however, was more damaging. It was a left to the body that dropped him again and referee Wayne Kelly called it off without completing his count. Duddy's fans were overjoyed by the victory if the noise level inside the Theater at Madison Square Garden was any indication. Top Rank has the rest of Duddy's year plotted out. If all goes as planned, he'll be back in action March 13 on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey fight at Cowboys Stadium followed by a slot on the June 12 Yuri Foreman-Miguel Cotto card that is in the works for the Garden's main arena. After that, a pay-per-view headline fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. looms at the end of the year.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Junior middleweight
Pawel Wolak W8 Ishmail Arvin
Scores: 80-72, 79-73 (twice)
[tr][td]Records: Wolak, 26-1, 17 KOs; Arvin, 15-2-4, 7 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Wolak, 28, who was born in Poland but lives in New Jersey, has a nice fan base that turns out to see him fight, which is why he was on the card. His fans weren't disappointed either as he methodically pounded out a decision against the less-active Arvin, 34, of Baltimore. Arvin inflicted a nice shiner around Wolak's left eye but it was Wolak who easily won the fight with his continual punch output. It was Wolak's second consecutive solid performance on a Juan Manuel Lopez undercard. In October, he toughed up Brazil's Carlos Nascimento for a fifth-round TKO victory. Look for Wolak to return in April or so in an appearance on a "Top Rank Live" card on Fox Sports Net. Arvin dropped to 1-2-2 in his five fights.
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr]
Featherweight
Jorge Diaz KO1 Tommy Atencio
[tr][td]Records: Diaz, 12-0, 8 KOs; Atencio, 4-4, 2 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: However far Diaz advances in his career, one thing is for sure -- he's awfully fun to watch. The 22-year-old from New Jersey, who has the late Arturo Gatti's team behind him in manager Pat Lynch and trainer Mikey Skowronski, brings fans to the arena and gives them everything he has. Against Atencio, however, he didn't have to give them much because it was an easy fight. First, he dropped the Denver resident with a right hand to the chin. Atencio survived the knockdown but was soon down again and in agony. Diaz charged at him after the first knockdown and landed a body shot. It didn't seem too damaging, but as Atencio stepped back, he badly twisted his right knee and went down. He was clearly in pain and could not beat the count because his knee was so messed up.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Pasay City, Philippines
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior flyweight
Carlos Tamara TKO12 Brian Viloria
Wins a junior flyweight title
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Tamara, 21-4, 15 KOs; Viloria, 26-3, 15 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: It's another chapter in the up-and-down career of Viloria, the Filipino-American from Hawaii and 2000 U.S. Olympian. In April, Viloria claimed his second junior flyweight title with a crushing 11th-round knockout of long-reigning titleholder Ulises Solis in front of an adoring crowd in the Philippines. Viloria's career was on the upswing after some disappointing performances. He made one defense at home in Hawaii in August and was returning to the Philippines for his second title defense. Tamara, 26, a native of Colombia living in New Jersey, was not expected to be all that difficult of an opponent. In his only previous title bout, he lost a lopsided decision to Omar Narvaez challenging for his flyweight belt in January 2008. Viloria, 29, appeared in control of the fight, at least through the first nine rounds. Going into the 12th round, Viloria led 106-103 and 105-104 on two scorecards while Tamara led 105-104 on the third. But Tamara had been coming on since the ninth round, throwing combinations as Viloria began to fade. By the 12th round, Viloria simply appeared out of gas. He was throwing single shot punches with no leverage just to try to keep Tamara off of him. He even threw one so wildly and missed that he slipped to the canvas. Eventually, Tamara caught him with some solid shots. When he caught Viloria again with a big shot along the ropes -- and Viloria was not defending himself -- referee Bruce McTavish intervened and Tamara had the upset. Viloria, who had a cut over his left eye, was exhausted afterward, needed oxygen and complained of a headache. He was later taken to the hospital for observation and some tests. He was expected to spend two days in the hospital but wouldn't be cleared to fly back to the United States for 10 to 14 days to ensure that he had no brain swelling or that a possible concussion is no longer an issue. The loss cost Viloria a lucrative fight with Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon, the recognized 108-pound champ. That unification fight had been in the works for later in the year.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Junior flyweight
Donnie Nietes TKO10 Jesus Silvestre
[tr][td]Records: Nietes, 26-1-3, 15 KOs; Silvestre, 15-2, 12 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Nietes, 27, of the Philippines, was supposed to make the fourth defense of his 105-pound belt, however multiple opponents fell out, including Ivan Meneses. So Mexico's Silvestre, who was on a seven-fight winning streak came aboard. However, because he was not in the WBO's rankings, the fight became a nontitle bout (at 107 pounds) scheduled for 10 rounds. It turned out to be a nice little scrap, especially considering how quickly it was thrown together. Silvestre survived a first-round knockdown and did his best to hang in against the better man before being stopped.
[/td][/tr][/table]
  [h2]
[h2]Morales will return against Alfaro[/h2]
Comment http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...n Morales ends retirement in March&id=4855332">http://sendtofriend.espn....n March...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" target="_blank" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4855332#">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat left top" onclick="event.returnValue=false; return false;" href="javascript:void(0);" rel=nofollow>Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

NEW YORK -- Former three-division champion Erik Morales will end a 2½ year-retirement and return to the ring in March, Mexican promoter Nacho Huizar told ESPN.com on Sunday.

Morales is scheduled to face former lightweight titleholder Jose Alfaro in a welterweight bout March 27 in Monterrey, Mexico, Huizar said.

"I think he'll sell pretty good, but not like he did last time," Huizar said, referring to Morales' onetime position as a significant pay-per-view attraction.

Morales (48-6, 34 KOs) is a former junior featherweight, featherweight and junior lightweight champion and one of the best fighters in Mexican history. He challenged for a lightweight belt in his last fight, but lost a decision to David Diaz in August 2007 before retiring.

There was a steady stream of talk of a possible comeback since then, but nothing ever materialized until now.

Huizar said it was Morales who called him and asked him to promote the fight in conjunction with his own company.

"After I heard he was going to come back, he called me and begged me to be his partner," Huizar said. "It's an honor to me for him to pick me. If I don't do it, somebody else will."

Morales-Alfaro will be televised in the United States via Integrated Sports pay-per-view.

Huizar said they signed a six-fight deal for three fights this year and three in 2011. Huizar acknowledged that six more fights for Morales, 33, is a reach at this stage.

"We'll see what happens," said Huizar, who said he promoted Morales' first five pro fights before Morales went on to become a major star under the guidance of co-promoters Top Rank and Fernando Beltran's Zanfer Promotions.

Even before the loss to Diaz, Morales was a shell of the great fighter who had been in three all-time slugfests with rival Marco Antonio Barrera and several other memorable battles.

Morales lost four fights in a row and five of his last six, including two knockout losses to Manny Pacquiao. The one victory Morales notched during his late-career slide came against Pacquiao in the first fight of their trilogy. Their March 2005 fight was the last time Pacquiao lost.

Immediately after losing a competitive fight to Diaz, Morales announced his retirement.

"That's it," Morales said at the time. "No more fighting. I am done. Too many punches, particularly to the head area."

Jose Morales, Erik's father who raised him in a Tijuana apartment above a boxing gym, supported his son's decision to retire, saying after the fight with Diaz, "Erik has taken too many punches. It has to stop."

Jose Alfaro (23-5, 20 KOs), 26, of Nicaragua, held a lightweight belt for five months in 2008. His last fight was an interim lightweight title bout in October where Antonio DeMarco stopped him in the 10th round.

[h2]
[h2]Wladimir Klitschko to fight Chambers[/h2]
Comment http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...itschko to fight Chambers in March&id=4855915">http://sendtofriend.espn....n March...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" target="_blank" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4855915#">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat left top" onclick="event.returnValue=false; return false;" href="javascript:void(0);" rel=nofollow>Share
Associated Press

BERLIN -- Wladimir Klitschko will defend his heavyweight titles against American challenger Eddie Chambers in March.

Klitschko's management said Monday that the fight will take place March 20 at the Esprit Arena in Duesseldorf. Klitschko holds the IBF, WBO and IBO titles.

The 33-year-old Ukrainian says he's looking forward to the fight in the "gigantic stadium," which has a capacity of 51,000 spectators.

Klitschko says the 27-year-old Chambers is currently the best U.S. heavyweight "and is not No. 1 in the world rankings for nothing."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

[/h2]
[/h2]
[/h2]
Trinidad happy to be ringside instead of in the ring

Sunday, January 24, 2010 | Print Entry

NEW YORK -- Fight week was in many ways a passing of the torch from Puerto Rican legend Felix "Tito" Trinidad to the island's bright new star, newly crowned featherweight titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez.

Although Miguel Cotto became a star in between them, Trinidad and Lopez are much more comparable because of their similar outgoing personalities, their big smiles and the emotional connection that Puerto Rican fans have made with them. Cotto, although respected and cheered by those fans, has never generated the kind of emotion that Trinidad and Lopez do. Perhaps it is because of Cotto's more reserved and private personality. Perhaps it is his desire to train away from Puerto Rico.

Trinidad and Cotto were both in the house Saturday night to watch Lopez blow out Steven Luevano in seven lopsided rounds to win his second world title in as many weight divisions.

And, of course, they both received cheers when they were introduced to the crowd at the Theater at Madison Square Garden.

Cotto was in town for the prefight tribute to his late father, Miguel Sr., and to sit with promoter Bob Arum and try to make a deal for a June 12 fight against junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman, who was also on hand.

Trinidad, however, was there just because he's a big Lopez supporter and enjoys being around the fight scene. While Cotto arrived Friday night, Trinidad was in New York for a few days. He soaked it all in. He posed for pictures with Lopez at the weigh-in, signaling that passing of the torch in a graphic way. He spent time around the fight hotel, mingling with his many fans, signing every last autograph and posing for numerous photos, always with a smile on his face -- just like Lopez has.

While there are always rumors that pop up out of Puerto Rico here and there that signal a possible Trinidad comeback, don't count on it.

I had a chance to spend some time with Trinidad after Saturday's fight. I asked him what he was planning to do, and I have to admit, I thought maybe a comeback was on his mind for two reasons: Don King, his longtime promoter, called Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer last month to inquire about a rematch between Trinidad and Bernard Hopkins and because Trinidad, who has a tendency to blow up in weight when he is out of the ring, looked in incredibly fit and trim condition.

But Trinidad told me in his broken English and with that broad smile that, no, he is not training for a comeback. He said he does still train and he still runs, but just to exercise.

"Run, run, run, just to run," he said as he pumped his arms like a jogger as we walked back to the fight hotel after the show. "No boxing, no comeback. I am done."

I was glad to hear it. He turned 37 on Jan. 10 and lost his last two fights in terrifyingly lopsided fashion, dropping a decision to Roy Jones in a light heavyweight bout at the Garden two years ago this month and a punishing decision defeat to middleweight Winky Wright in 2005.

Trinidad's time has passed. When he was at his best, there were few fighters who were more of a joy to watch or cover. Some of my greatest memories are of being ringside for Trinidad fights. His junior middleweight unification victory against Fernando Vargas in 2000 was an extraordinary fight and a great promotion. It was the first really big fight I covered in Las Vegas and it was a blast.

Trinidad's annihilation of Williams Joppy at the Garden to win a middleweight title in 2001 is easily one of the greatest atmospheres I have ever been in for a fight. His knockout loss to Hopkins in the final of the Middleweight World Championship Series at the Garden just two weeks after 9/11 remains one of the most emotional experiences of my career. And Trinidad's 2004 comeback from his first retirement to face Ricardo Mayorga at the Garden was another electrifying atmosphere. Fans, and, to be honest, media members too, were just so overjoyed to have Trinidad back in the ring for that fight after a 2½-year hiatus.

But now it's over. There won't be a third comeback, it seems. And I was really happy to hear Trinidad say it to my face. When he said it, I really felt like he meant it and that he was at peace with his final record reading 42-3 with 35 KOs and five world titles in three divisions.

He was a great fighter and one of the most exciting of his time. But he's a spectator now. Trinidad can enjoy watching Lopez grow, perhaps someday into the force he once was in Puerto Rico and in New York.

He's doing his best to help Lopez reach that level, the weekend's figurative passing of the torch being a great place to start.

WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch is playing hard to get with Mikkel Kessler. Froch is refusing to fight in the Danish city of Herning, demanding a new fight venue for title fight on April 17. Froch fears that most of his fans will be unable to travel all the way to Herning for the fight. He doesn't have a problem with the fight taking place in Kessler's country of Denmark. He wants the city of Copenhagen to host the fight.

"It’s a strategic move on the part of Kessler’s promoters to get me to defend my title in the middle of an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere that no-one can get to," Froch told Daily Mail

[h2]
[h2]Manchester to host Haye-Ruiz title fight[/h2]
Comment http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...o defend title vs. Ruiz on April 3&id=4858895">http://sendtofriend.espn....April 3...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" target="_blank" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4858895#">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat left top" href="javascript:void(0);" rel=nofollow st_page="home">Share
Associated Press

MANCHESTER, England -- David Haye will make the first defense of his WBA world heavyweight title against John Ruiz in Manchester on April 3.

The 29-year-old British fighter, also a former world cruiserweight champion, won the heavyweight crown from Russia's Nikolai Valuev in November.

Haye will now face Ruiz, the WBA's No. 1 contender, at Manchester's MEN Arena.

"I'm looking forward to getting back to what I do best -- throwing my trademark 'Hayemakers,' " Haye said Tuesday. "Ruiz is a come-forward fighter so I aim to get at him, break him down, and take him out in good style."

A powerful puncher but with a shaky defense, Haye believes his attacking style will be too much for the experienced Ruiz. The American has fought some of the biggest names in the heavyweight division. Ruiz had three fights with Evander Holyfield, going 1-1-1 against him.

Haye won a majority decision over Valuev by staying out of reach of the huge Russian's sporadic punches in Nuremberg, Germany, on Nov. 7. He hopes to be on the offensive against the unspectacular Ruiz, whose style is to wear down his opponents.

"Everyone knows I had to go to Germany to take the title away from Nikolai Valuev," Haye said. "Now it's time to showcase my skills again in front of the great British public."

Haye's goal eventually is to unify the titles by beating the Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir, who hold the WBC, IBF and WBO titles between them.

Haye is 23-1 with 21 knockouts. Ruiz, a 38-year-old American who held and lost the WBA title twice, is 44-8-1 with one no contest. Two of his losses were to Valuev, and he was also beaten by Roy Jones Jr.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
[/h2]

Blank.gif

USA Boxing News

[h1]Mayweather Jr Vs Mosley Close To A Done Deal[/h1]
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
Blank.gif

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]
2007DemGryCARProceedBullet.gif
Print Page
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
2007DemGryCARProceedBullet.gif
Send to a Friend
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
Blank.gif

Accordingto Maxboxing.com a verbal agreement has been reached between FloydMayweather Jr and Shane Mosley to face each other in May and anofficial announcement could be made as early as Friday.

MayweatherJr was scheduled to face Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on March 13 todecide the pound for pound No.1 but the fight was scrapped when the twocamps could not agree on how to conduct pre fight drug testing.

MayweatherJr wanted Pacquiao to agree to random Olympic style drug testing whichis not a requirement of the Nevada State Athletic commission, whooversee sporting events where the fight was to be held.

Accordingto Maxboxing’s Gabriel Montoya Mayweather has no such problem with suchtesting. Speaking with Mosley via his website chat this past weekend,Montoya asked Mosley if he would submit to random blood tests to make afight with Mayweather or any fighter.

“Of course I would submitto random blood testing anytime,
[/td][/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom