2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Originally Posted by yungmatt

I wonder what the critics will say when Floyd wipes the mat with Shane..
that shane is old, and the 15 month layoff was the reasons for the Mayweather Clinic.  And that PBF ducked Pac.  My dude really is in a lose/lose situation.

Originally Posted by EdWord

if u guys have never seen meldrick taylor vs chavez
eek.gif
WOW check that out!!
top 5 fight for me all-time.

"For your family Julio!"

eek.gif
pimp.gif

So many things about this fight.... Contrasting styles, Taylor's corner telling him he had to WIN that last round, the stoppage, etc. made it epic.

Margarito's biggest supporter? His opponent

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 | Print Entry

There are a lot of people utterly disgusted by the likelihood of Antonio Margarito being granted a boxing license by Texas regulators, a situation I outlined in a blog last week.

Carson Jones isn't one of them.

If Margarito, who was punished last year by the California State Athletic Commission for attempting to wear loaded gloves for his fight with Shane Mosley in Los Angeles, gets his license, Top Rank will match him with Jones in a 10-rounder at 155 pounds. It will be a high-profile fight co-featured on the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey HBO PPV card at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

I think that most who read my work regularly know I'm one of the people appalled by the idea of Margarito getting a Texas license without even having to go before the California commission, which rightfully revoked his license at a disciplinary hearing last February.

However, there are two sides to every story, and Jones is one of the few people who wholeheartedly endorses the idea of Margarito being allowed to fight.

Can you blame him?

It would be the biggest fight and payday of his career. Jones (24-7-1, 15 KOs) is a 23-year-old from Oklahoma City trying to make a living in a tough, tough sport. Nobody looks at Jones and sees a future world champion -- just a hard-working fighter trying to do the best he can and looking to take advantage of a big opportunity against Margarito.

In his last fight, Jones did open a few eyes. In December, he scored a third-round knockout against previously unbeaten and wholly untested Tyrone Brunson in the main event of a "ShoBox" card on Showtime.

A fight against Margarito would dwarf that bout.

"If Margarito is not allowed to fight, that takes food off of my table and robs me of a chance to show the world that I am the real deal and hurts me far more than it does Antonio Margarito. I wish people would stop trying to prevent this fight from happening. This is a dream fight for me and something I have worked all my life for to have an opportunity to do," said Jones, who is going to go through with an already scheduled rematch against Eloy Suarez on Thursday night to prepare for the Margarito fight.

"The public needs to let me handle the punishing of Antonio Margarito, because that is exactly what I will do if he is allowed to fight me on March 13. I ask all the people who want this fight stopped to just support me on March 13 when I pull off my second upset in a row."

Jones, who has already signed a contract for the fight in anticipation of Margarito being licensed, said he has no concern about him trying to cheat again. Besides, you can bet the house that the wrapping of Margarito's hands for that fight will be the most scrutinized in history.

"I think he has learned his lesson, and I am not concerned at all about him trying to do any of the things that he has been accused of doing in the past," Jones said. "This is supposed to be his comeback fight. It will be his retirement fight also. Trust me."

[h1]Khan dismisses talk of Hatton fight [/h1]
ESPN staff
January 25, 2010
628.2.jpg

Amir Khan is determined to break the American market [emoji]169[/emoji] Getty Images

Related Links

Ricky Hatton should retire from boxing and focus on his other interests, according to Amir Khan. The WBA light-welterweight champion has dismissed the possibility of a bout against Hatton, insisting that his "dream fight" would instead be against Juan Manuel Marquez.

Following Khan's move to Golden Boy Promotions after leaving Frank Warren's stable, speculation about a clash between the two Brits had been rife - but now it seems off the agenda. "I think that Ricky should just call it a day now," Khan told the Manchester Evening News. "He's known as a British legend in boxing and I think he should just chill out now.

"He's made his money and he's made a good name for himself. He's got his own gym so he can just look after that and he's got his own promotion company as well."

As he stated on joining the US-based Golden Boy, Khan is determined to raise his profile in America - and a meeting with the Mexican could be the ideal way to announce himself there. "It is my mission to fight men like Marquez and that would be my dream fight in America," Khan said to the Daily Star.

A mandatory defence against Marcos Maidana is first up for Khan, but the Bolton man's trainer is looking for a bigger name in the shape of Marquez.

"Maidana is not well known enough and there is not enough money in the fight," Freddie Roach said. "If it gets built up it could be a real big fight so the thing is we are going to fight someone else and they have asked me if we would fight Marquez and I said: 'Yes, we will fight Marquez'".
[h5][emoji]169[/emoji] ESPN EMEA Ltd[/h5]

Meldrick fought his heart out that night . Chavez was ruining him though all types of @%#@ was broken ,pissing blood . Sad how Meldrick is now

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Originally Posted by EdWord

if u guys have never seen meldrick taylor vs chavez
eek.gif
WOW check that out!!
top 5 fight for me all-time.

"For your family Julio!"

eek.gif
pimp.gif

So many things about this fight.... Contrasting styles, Taylor's corner telling him he had to WIN that last round, the stoppage, etc. made it epic.

Although Meldrick lost the fight and was robbed of that victory
eek.gif
jesus u got to atleast give credit to julio for standing toe to toe with meldrick 12 FREAKIN ROUNDS.....i dont see alot of that in boxing anymore usually when someone takes the first 9 rounds the other boxers SHOWS NO INCENTIVE TO EVEN WANT TO WIN..... i knew before hand julio won the fight so i was expecting a KO in the 12th BUT NEVER IN MY FREAKIN MIND DID I THINK MELDRICK WOULD GET UP AND GET ROBBED LIKE THAT!!!!! JESUS!! .......and to hell with every manager that ever put there boxer against meldrick past 1996 every trainer and promoter that trained him after 1996 and anyone that boxed him after 1996

remember the HBO special about this?

Meldrick was in the hospital for like 2 months after the fight

JC superstar destroyed his career.

so im thinking.........when berto feels he can come back in the ring.....hows about he gives judah a chance for that belt 0_o...............yes im still talkin about zab in 2010

While training in Venezuela, Gamboa, along with Cuban teammates Odlanier Solis and Yan Barthelemy snuck out of camp and found their way to Colombia and eventually to Germany, where they applied for visas to enter the United States.[2] Before defecting, he had sold his Olympic gold medal to support his family

I wonder what the critics will say when Floyd wipes the mat with Shane..
"He looked good...BUT it was Pacquiao."

Or...

"Shane hasn't fought in 14 months, and he was prepared to fight Berto."

Guy never gets any credit...SMH.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

remember the HBO special about this?

Meldrick was in the hospital for like 2 months after the fight

JC superstar destroyed his career.

It was extremely sad to hear him talk at the end of that piece.  And to see him still sparring and trying to fight was worse.

I don't know how others my age feel, but I couldn't remember that fight live.  I heard the story about what happened before I watched the fight so watching it for the first time was pretty bittersweet.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

HBO should do more of those fight documentaries

they need to do Legendary nights again

i was watching DLH VS tito the other night

infact all of the legendary nights are on youtube

Originally Posted by Proshares

I don't know how others my age feel, but I couldn't remember that fight live.  I heard the story about what happened before I watched the fight so watching it for the first time was pretty bittersweet.
i was actually in Vegas when that fight happened... though i was a little kid.  Me and dad just watched it on our hotel room at Circus Circus.  Don't remember if we were watching it live or if that was a replay.  With my limited knowledge on boxing at that time, i did remember Taylor winning until he was KD with like a second left into that fight and asked my dad why the fight was stopped.. i think my dad cussed at the TV in Cebuano
laugh.gif
   Richard Steele's face was stuck in my memory ever since

edit: and please don't ask me how old i am
laugh.gif
  I'm pretty old to remember a fight that happened 20 years ago

I forget if it's the HBO special but...i remember hearing that Taylor's trainer should also take some blame. I guess he jumped up along the ropes to try to encourage Meldrick to his feet. That's why you see Taylor look to the side and not really respond to Steele.

All in all...EPIC BOUT. IMO, Chavez's short shots after the bell did a lot of damage (more so mentally than physically) to Taylor.

i personally dont care either especially what happened in rjj's last fight. just thought others might be interested.

im new to boxing, so i just recently seen this fight again, and to steele's defense when taylor got up he was still wobbling, didnt respond while looking at his corner.

PBF is going to destory Shane.

I always had a feeling that PBF and Pac-Man weren't going to fight. It seemed to early, I was predicitng at least 2-3 fights of build up before they eventually squared off. They're both getting into fights that they know they'll win. The hype for their fight is only going to be greater after.

1. Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon (33-0-1)

Calderon thought he'd be facing Brian Viloria in a unification fight in the spring. It would have been one of the most significant junior flyweight bouts in history, but Viloria was surprisingly stopped in the 12th round of a Jan. 23 defense in Japan, ruining the proposed fight. Bummer.
Next: TBA.

1. Vic Darchinyan (33-2-1)

The junior bantamweight champ rebounded from a July loss to then-bantamweight titlist Joseph Agbeko by scoring a spectacular second-round knockout of interim titleholder Tomas Rojas on Dec. 12. Have you ever seen such a small guy have the kind of sick power that Darchinyan possesses? He'll be back on Showtime on the Arthur Abraham-Andre Dirrell undercard.
Next: March 6 vs. TBA.

2. Nonito Donaire (22-1)

Donaire will make the first defense of his interim belt on a Top Rank pay-per-view card against journeyman Gerson Guerrero (34-
glasses.gif
, who has lost whenever he has stepped up in class. If Donaire wins, we could be in for a rematch between Donaire and Darchinyan.
Next: Feb. 13 vs. Guerrero.

2. Yonnhy Perez (20-0)

In a tremendous action fight, Colombia's Perez did just a little bit more than Joseph Agbeko to claim the unanimous decision and take a title on Oct. 31. We could have another tremendous action fight on our hands when Perez defends his title against Abner Mares on Showtime in the Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez IV co-feature on May 22. That will come to fruition only if Mares wins a tuneup fight.

1. Celestino Caballero (33-2)

Caballero is a unified titleholder and can't get anybody to fight him or get any traction with the American television networks, which is a shame. However, Top Rank's Bob Arum seems open to giving Caballero a shot at either of his featherweight titleholders, Juan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa. Caballero would have to move up in weight for the opportunity, but it's not like he has anything going on at 122 pounds.

Let's !$*!*%$ go.

2. Juan Manuel Lopez (28-0)

Lopez gave up his junior featherweight title and moved up in weight to dominate Steven Luevano en route to an impressive seventh-round knockout on Jan. 23. The victory gave Lopez his second title and continued to stoke interest in an eventual unification bout with Yuriorkis Gamboa, who turned in a great performance in the co-feature.

3. Yuriorkis Gamboa (17-0)

In the Jan. 23 HBO co-feature paired with Lopez-Luevano, Gamboa defended his belt in a sensational performance. He blew away Rogers Mtagwa in two wickedly one-sided rounds, handling him way easier than did Lopez, who barely survived for a decision win against him in October. Lopez and Gamboa are on a collision course. Top Rank is going to build it into a big fight, but just don't take too, too long.

2. Robert Guerrero (25-1-1)

Guerrero might give up his belt and move to lightweight to face exciting Michael Katsidis on a spring HBO card. What a terrific fight. Let's hope it happens, because it's a lot more interesting than Guerrero's making a mandatory against Mzonke Fana.

1. Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1)

The champ's try at welterweight was a disaster as he was destroyed by the returning Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September. Marquez was simply outgunned by the much bigger man. Next up could be a very interesting HBO fight at junior welterweight against titlist Amir Khan in the spring, although bouts with Michael Katsidis and Juan Diaz, in a rematch, have also been discussed.

3. Amir Khan (22-1)

Like so many of the stars who came before him, England's titleholder dumped longtime promoter Frank Warren. Khan then signed with Golden Boy with an eye on coming to the United States for big fights. He could debut in America against Paulie Malignaggi in the spring or possibly face lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez. But the really big money fight will eventually be back in England against countryman Hatton.

4. Kendall Holt (25-3)

Idle since losing his title to Bradley in an April 2009 unification bout, Holt will return to face South Africa's Kaizer Mabuza (22-6-3) in a title eliminator that will give the winner a mandatory shot at Urango's belt.
Next: Feb. 27 vs. Mabuza.

6. Paulie Malignaggi (27-3)

Following the death of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, Malignaggi was mentioned prominently as a possible opponent for Mayweather. Now there's a chance he may face Khan or welterweight titlist Andre Berto in the spring. Whatever happens, Malignaggi ought to get a notable fight following his excellent performance against Juan Diaz on Dec. 12.

7. Juan Urango (22-2-1)

Urango survived a brutal knockdown to rally for three knockdowns of his own en route to a title-retaining 11th-round TKO of mandatory challenger Randall Bailey in a terrific fight in August. When Urango faces Alexander on HBO in a unification fight, he couldn't be facing a foe with a more different style than Bailey.
Next: March 6 vs. Alexander.

8. Marco Maidana (27-1)

Argentina's big-punching Maidana holds an interim title and is Khan's mandatory. But Khan hasn't committed to facing him, and if he doesn't, Khan will likely be stripped of his belt and Maidana elevated in status.

7. Luis Collazo (30-4)

Collazo could meet Selcuk Aydin in Europe for a vacant interim belt on March 27. Don King, Collazo's promoter, is working with Aydin promoter Ahmet Öner to put it together.

8. Zab Judah (38-6)

In a woeful pay-per-view main event mismatch, Judah blew out journeyman Ubaldo Hernandez (now 22-20-2) in two miserable rounds on Nov. 6. Judah says he'd like to move down to junior welterweight to challenge titlist Juan Urango. That would be an intriguing fight and certainly way more interesting than the garbage against Hernandez.

1. Sergio Martinez (44-2-2)

Martinez stepped up to middleweight to tangle with the man nobody wants to face, Paul Williams, on Dec. 5 and gave as good as he got. It was a sensational fight. Although Martinez dropped a majority decision that easily could have gone his way, he showed that he is one of the best fighters in the world. The junior middleweight titleholder may parlay that great performance into a shot at middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik on April 17 on HBO. The sides are negotiating the fight.

4. Kermit Cintron (32-2-1)

First the former welterweight titlist was mentioned as a possible opponent for Miguel Cotto's June comeback fight. Then he was discussed as a possible opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the wake of the disintegration of Mayweather's fight with Manny Pacquiao. Now, he has been mentioned for Paul Williams on April 10. One of these days Cintron actually will get a fight instead of just being mentioned for them.

5. Alfredo "Perro" Angulo (17-1)

The always entertaining Angulo will be back on HBO in the spring against Joel "Love Child" Julio (35-3), possibly on the April 24 undercard of heavyweight Cristobal Arreola's proposed fight with Tomasz Adamek.
Next: TBA vs. Julio.

1. Kelly Pavlik (36-1)

The champ returned to action Dec. 19 after a tumultuous 10 months to blow out Miguel Espino via fifth-round knockout. Now, his camp is in serious discussions for an April 17 HBO fight against junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez. That's a terrific fight. Let's hope HBO and the promoters get it worked out.

2. Paul Williams (38-1)

In one of the best slugfests of 2009, Williams followed his lopsided decision win against Winky Wright in April by eking out a majority decision against junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez on Dec. 5 in a truly great fight. A rematch is possible down the road, but in the meantime there's a chance Williams could drop down to junior middleweight and face Kermit Cintron on HBO on April 10.

1. Andre Ward (21-0)

America's only boxing gold medalist in the 2004 Olympics (and the only one since 1996), rose to the occasion and whipped Mikkel Kessler in an 11-round technical decision on Nov. 21 to claim a title and stamp his arrival as a force to be reckoned with in the Super Six World Boxing Classic. Ward was originally supposed to face Jermain Taylor in the next round of the tournament, but Taylor withdrew, leaving Ward to face alternate Allan Green.
Next: April 17 vs. Green.

6. Allan Green (29-1)

Green agreed to face Sakio Bika on Feb. 5 for the right to replace Taylor in the Super Six tournament, but Bika wound up not accepting the fight. The result was good news for Green, who will now go directly into the tournament and a title shot against Ward.
Next: April 17 vs. Ward.

7. Sakio Bika (28-3-2)

Bika has complained about not getting opportunities, yet he turned his back on a Feb. 5 box-off with Green for the right to replace Taylor in the Super Six. Bika had the opportunity and, for whatever reason, didn't take it. Don't want to hear him complaining anymore.

Rescind my comments about this fight...

2. Bernard Hopkins (50-5-1)

While Hopkins took care of his business Dec. 2 by dismantling Enrique Ornelas in a lopsided decision, Roy Jones Jr. got knocked out by Danny Green in one round in Australia, seemingly killing a planned Jones-Hopkins rematch. However, they are going ahead with the fight anyway and will unbelievably try to sell it on pay-per-view (target date: April 3). What a joke.
Next: TBA vs. Jones.

4. Glen Johnson (49-13-2)

Although Johnson's title eliminator against Yusaf Mack was called off when the entire Jan. 30 Shane Mosley-Andre Berto card was canceled, Johnson-Mack (an excellent fight) was thankfully saved when ESPN2 picked it up for "Friday Night Fights."
Next: Feb. 5 vs. Mack.

8. Adrian "The Shark" Diaconu (26-2)

Diaconu put up a heckuva fight in his Dec. 11 rematch with Pascal but couldn't outbox the slicker titleholder. There has been some talk of a possible bout with Librado Andrade.

9. Antonio Tarver (27-6)

Although Tarver, now 40, appears headed toward retirement, especially now that he has a nice gig as a Showtime analyst, he may still fight. One bout that has been discussed is a heavyweight match with James Toney.

1. Tomasz Adamek (39-1)

At some point, Adamek is going to have to relinquish his cruiserweight title because he continues to fight at heavyweight. First is his second heavyweight bout against Jason Estrada (16-2), a 2004 U.S. Olympian. If Adamek wins, plans are in the works for Adamek to face Cristobal Arreola on HBO, likely April 24.
Next: Feb. 6 vs. Estrada.

2. Steve Cunningham (22-2)

Cunningham will face Matt Godfrey for the alphabet belt vacated by Adamek. Since promoter Don King won the purse bid for $65,200, he is putting the bout on a card he is planning for the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.
Next: March 19 vs. Godfrey.

. Paul Williams (38-1)
In one of the best slugfests of 2009, Williams followed his lopsided decision win against Winky Wright in April by eking out a majority decision against junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez on Dec. 5 in a truly great fight. A rematch is possible down the road, but in the meantime there's a chance Williams could drop down to junior middleweight and face Kermit Cintron on HBO on April 10.

I like that fight, One thing Paul did that got me upset vs Martinez was not go to the body  AT ALL... 

I hope he doesnt forget aboutthat weapon he has anymore in the future

why wont Adamek and Cunningham get in  and fight each other again?

That blue is killer man, same thing in the Senior Bowl post my eyes were burning straining to read that color
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom