2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Adamek wnt to heavy and Cunningham hasnt been active their first fight was great . Williams should have a bter shot a going to the body against Kermit cause hes about the same height as Paul . With Sergio being the shorter guy Paul would have to lean down dropping his hand thus he would hav gotten tagged upstairs .

*++@ that %@%@% was target upstairs anyway
laugh.gif

Paul went to the body good vs Winky, Margarito and Verno ... I think he just fell in the trap of going only upstairs. that tall %@%@% always drops his hands tho.

Cintron quit after Antonio hit him in the ribs so U already know where his heart at... Paul need to go to work on them short ribs like chinese restaraunt apetizer

Only way Adamek fights Cunningham is if he or Haye lose at heavyweight. They'll fight before Haye gets in there w/one of the Klitschko's.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

*++@ that %@%@% was target upstairs anyway
laugh.gif

Paul went to the body good vs Winky, Margarito and Verno ... I think he just fell in the trap of going only upstairs. that tall %@%@% always drops his hands tho.

Cintron quit after Antonio hit him in the ribs so U already know where his heart at... Paul need to go to work on them short ribs like chinese restaraunt apetizer

@%@!... plaster hurts.

So far, 2010 nothing to write home about

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 | Print Entry

Your weekly random thoughts …

• The start of 2010 has been just awful for big fights. Other than a nice "Boxing After Dark" card on HBO last week, January has been a complete waste because of the cancellation of HBO's Shane Mosley-Andre Berto fight and the fact that Showtime didn't schedule a prime-time card. HBO will have no boxing at all in February and no live "World Championship Boxing" in March either. And what's with just a one-fight "Boxing After Dark" on March 6, with Devon Alexander facing Juan Urango? Can we at least get a doubleheader? Remind me again why I'm paying $15 a month for HBO?

Although Manny Pacquiao returns to action to fight Joshua Clottey on HBO PPV, we're still settling for second-best because it isn't Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Showtime has the Edwin Valero-Antonio DeMarco fight on Feb. 6, which could be explosive but isn't that big of a fight. Showtime's March schedule includes the resumption of the Super Six, with Arthur Abraham facing Andre Dirrell. But talk about an overall woeful quarter for the premium networks. And while I'm at it, it would be nice if HBO would stop counter-programming Showtime at every opportunity, as it has done on March 6 and will do again April 17. You think it's an accident? If you do, I've got some nice Harry Greb videos for you.

• As much as I would love to see Juan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa in a featherweight unification fight right away, I understand promoter Bob Arum's reluctance. Arum is right: The fight isn't big enough right now. It needs time to marinate. A couple more wins for each guy and it will be a blockbuster. Arum is 100 percent right when he says he owes it to both fighters, as well as his company, Top Rank, to make the bout as big as possible. So if he wants to take some time and build it up, I'm fine with that -- as long as he follows through with what he said at ringside after both guys looked so spectacular knocking out their opponents Saturday in New York. Arum said he wanted them to clean out the division so that they are the last men standing when they finally meet. Why would anyone have a problem with Lopez and Gamboa not fighting each other next, as long as they are facing quality guys such as Chris John, Elio Rojas, Celestino Caballero, the winner of the Feb. 13 Mario Santiago-Bernabe Concepcion fight or even the winner of Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez IV on May 22, along the way? The trick here is to get Arum to keep his word, which is often the hard part.

• Not sure if the promoters have come up with a title for the Roy Jones Jr.-Bernard Hopkins pay-per-view fight, but I have a suggestion: "Grumpy Old Men." Ace publicist/comedian Fred Sternburg asked me if I think the postfight urine test will check for prune juice.

• It would be nice if some American television network would pick up the March 20 Wladimir Klitschko-Eddie Chambers heavyweight title fight.

• Yes, I am still ticked off that Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't happening March 13.

• What exactly is taking so long for the Mosley-Mayweather fight to be finalized?

• I really hope the Kelly Pavlik-Sergio Martinez fight is finalized, but there are issues. The date is supposed to be April 17. However, Showtime doesn't want Lou DiBella, who promotes Martinez and super middleweight Allan Green, promoting Martinez in a major HBO fight on the same night he has Green challenging Andre Ward in the Super Six tournament. Between that sticky situation and the fact that the DiBella/Martinez, Pavlik/Top Rank and HBO camps aren't on the same page in terms of money, the fight could be in trouble.

• Have to give ESPN boxing programmer Doug Loughrey a tip of the cap for rescuing the Glen Johnson-Yusaf Mack light heavyweight elimination bout. It was supposed to be on the untelevised undercard of Saturday night's Mosley-Berto show. That show, of course, was canceled, but Loughrey found a few extra bucks and somehow managed to fit it into the Feb. 5 show that was already scheduled. We all win by the move. ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" gets an excellent fight, fans besides those who had a ticket to Mosley-Berto will get to see it on television, and the boxers had to delay their bout by only a week rather than have it stuck in limbo.

• I love the proposed Michael Katsidis-Robert Guerrero fight.

• So, who's going to step up and fight Timothy Bradley?

• When Berto resumes training after his humanitarian mission to earthquake-ravaged Haiti, where his family is from, he'll get an HBO date and resume fighting. One fight I really hope that doesn't get made is the proposed match between Berto and junior welterweight Paulie Malignaggi. I love both guys, but I'm not interested in the slightest in seeing that particular match. There are so many more interesting bouts for both guys, especially for Malignaggi, who has never weighed more than 143 pounds for a fight in his career and would face Berto as a massive underdog.

• DVD pick of the week: When I broke the news a few days ago that Erik Morales was coming out of retirement, it put me in the mood to see "El Terrible" in action. He had so many great fights, but I went for his last great moment. It was a junior lightweight fight on March 19, 2005, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Morales, coming off a majority decision loss to rival Marco Antonio Barrera in the rubber match (and 2004 fight of the year) of their glorious trilogy, faced Pacquiao for the first time in what began their own memorable trilogy. It would be Morales' last stand. He would lose his next four fights, including two knockout losses to Pacquiao, before going into a 2½-year retirement. But the first fight against Pacquiao was unforgettable and one of Morales' finest moments. The three-division champ cut Pacquiao badly over his right eye in the fifth round and got a little better of the action throughout most of the all-out slugfest. Although Pacquiao closed strong, rocking Morales in the classic 12th round, Morales got the tight, but well-deserved decision (115-113 on all three scorecards). Pacquiao hasn't lost since. Watching the DVD, however, couldn't replace what should have been memories of the ringside experience. I was set to go to the fight, which would have been my first from ringside for ESPN after leaving USA Today. However, I came down with a nasty flu a couple of days before the trip and wound up watching the fight from my couch while deathly ill.

Americans will tune in to see another American try to steal a heavyweight belt. Just look at how many people tuned in to see Arreola challenge for a belt.

Eddie Chambers is nowhere near as fun to watch as Chris Arreola , Chambers is like Chris Byrd jr

Guess just to appeal to fans who aren't that avid. An American heavyweight fighting for a championship belt is sure to draw in some casual fans.

Al the good young Heavyweights are getting Drafted into the NFL lol Promoters should go after every LB/DE that didnt make a team . Im sure there are a few 6'3-5" 235-250lb guys out there that could do Ok with some good training . I think its worth a shot

mextra45 wrote:
Im sure there are a few 6'3-5" 235-250lb guys out there that could do Ok with some good training . I think its worth a shot
maybe at the amateur level.  But at world class championship level...it's going to take more than "good training".  Boxing takes a lifetime to master.

Originally Posted by mextra45

Al the good young Heavyweights are getting Drafted into the NFL lol Promoters should go after every LB/DE that didnt make a team . Im sure there are a few 6'3-5" 235-250lb guys out there that could do Ok with some good training . I think its worth a shot

this aint mma.

Berto-Malignaggi, several other spring fights being kicked around

Friday, January 29, 2010 | Print Entry

Welterweight titlist Andre Berto, a Haitian-American who called off Saturday's unification fight with Shane Mosley after eight members of his extended family were killed in the Haiti earthquake, went on a humanitarian mission to Haiti to bring aid.

Berto also brought his sister and her daughter back to the United States after their home was destroyed by the quake.

Berto has stayed busy doing his part to help in Haiti. But he's also anxious to get back to boxing, especially after putting in nearly a full training camp in preparation to fight Mosley.

"Now, he's gung ho to get back in the ring," promoter Lou DiBella told me the other day. "Andre feels the best way to help Haiti now is to get back in the ring and do his thing, and help raise more money and awareness."

That ring return could come April 10 on HBO at New York's Madison Square Garden, DiBella said.

There has been early conversation about Berto facing former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, whom DiBella also promotes and who is coming off an impressive win against Juan Diaz in their December rematch.

"The idea has been thrown out but we haven't yet had substantive conversations," DiBella said. "Until [Berto manager] Al Haymon and I can sit down and talk with Andre, nothing is going to happen. But it's an idea that's been kicked around."

DiBella put a hold on the Garden for April 10 a few weeks ago when Malignaggi was raised as a possible opponent for Floyd Mayweather. It was a fortuitous move, because now it might be used for Berto-Malignaggi.

"Andre wants to do an event that will help Haiti and there's a huge Haitian population in New York and Madison Square Garden is a very attractive place to a fight," DiBella said. "Wherever, Andre fights, it will have a fundraising element to the fight."

One of the reasons Malignaggi is in the picture is because the proposed spring fight with junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan of England now appears unlikely, and Khan is negotiating with Juan Manuel Marquez for a May fight.

"Paulie is not agreeing to be a low paid B-side to Amir Khan," DiBella said. "If Paulie is going to fight him, Golden Boy can treat him like he should be treated. Khan means nothing in the United States at this point, so we're not going to be treated like we're nobodies, so that limits Paulie's options. But he's a brave kid. He hung with Miguel Cotto and he's willing to take a challenge by fighting Berto. He said he wants that fight."

Among the potential undercard bouts DiBella has discussed with HBO: a junior welterweight fight between Zab Judah and hot prospect Victor Cayo and Judah against former titleholder Carlos Quintana in a welterweight bout, although given a choice, HBO prefers the junior welterweight bout.

Judah, the former undisputed welterweight champ who is interested in moving back to junior welterweight, has also talked to Golden Boy about a spring fight with Marcos Maidana, the hard-punching interim titleholder. Maidana might also wind up facing Cayo on an HBO card. Maidana and Khan, who are both with Golden Boy, are trying to work out a scenario in which they both take interim bouts while trying to build their mandatory meeting into something bigger than it would be now.

Promoter Gary Shaw, who handles junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley, told ESPN.com that he is talking to Golden Boy about a Bradley-Maidana fight for Showtime in the spring.

Even though I don't love the idea of Berto-Malignaggi, it might be interesting, and there sure are a lot of other bouts being talked about. Some of them are bound to happen, meaning we could have a nice spring schedule. At the very least, the spring could be a lot better than the first few months of the year look.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Judah v. Berto, make it happen.

Id rather see Sugar Ray Leonard come out of retirement. Judah is a bum. I repeat at bum and always has been. Im just sayin. Berto deserves better

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Scott Frost wrote:

Id rather see Sugar Ray Leonard come out of retirement. Judah is a bum. I repeat at bum and always has been. Im just sayin. Berto deserves better

lol judah would DESTROY berto , u can call him a bum all u wasnt doesnt change the fact he still has the world class speed and slick defense , berto sweet %#* chin dont want that , who was it that knocked berto down on friday night fights????
roll.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
EdWord wrote:

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Scott Frost wrote:

lol judah would DESTROY berto , u can call him a bum all u wasnt doesnt change the fact he still has the world class speed and slick defense , berto sweet %#* chin dont want that , who was it that knocked berto down on friday night fights????
roll.gif

How do you figure. Yea he has world class speed for 3 rounds of boxing. World Class speed couldnt even handle Baldomir. Slick defense??? Get real. He gets destroyed in every big fight he's ever been in. Dudes a bum. Ok Berto got knocked down but also got up and won. Lose the Judah talk already.  His best win is over an overrated Spinks.

and glass jaw judah could stand there and take all the shots that berto would throw at him?

judah has no heart and becomes brain dead come fight time, you really would have faith in him winning a big fight? when the lights come on judah crumbles

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

• It would be nice if some American television network would pick up the March 20 Wladimir Klitschko-Eddie Chambers heavyweight title fight.

Why? 

Doesn't ESPN Classic usually air Klitschko fights live?  I'd definitely tune in.

Back
Top Bottom