2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I'm not a Ward fan but I think he's gonna #%+@ Green up
laugh.gif

He got absolutely handled by Miranda, granted that was 3 years ago. But that fight was VERY telling. Miranda was landing at will in that fight, any punch he wanted to throw it landed. Miranda doesn't have the speed of Ward. If Edison was landing like that, Ward will do the same to a bigger extent. As soon as he got hit with a hard punch in the first minute of that fight, Green started backpedaling and jabbing outside the rest of the fight. Talking all this **$+ when he hasn't fought anyone and lost decisively to the one step up in competition he had. #%+@ outta here.

Didn't green have some huge health problem before/during/after that fight? Something similar to what Dajuan Wagner had, needing his intestines removed or something nasty like that...he always talked alot of #%!$, but I don't think he was anywhere near 100% and you could tell he was just trying to go the distance in that fight

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

Originally Posted by Proshares

I'm not a Ward fan but I think he's gonna #%+@ Green up
laugh.gif

He got absolutely handled by Miranda, granted that was 3 years ago. But that fight was VERY telling. Miranda was landing at will in that fight, any punch he wanted to throw it landed. Miranda doesn't have the speed of Ward. If Edison was landing like that, Ward will do the same to a bigger extent. As soon as he got hit with a hard punch in the first minute of that fight, Green started backpedaling and jabbing outside the rest of the fight. Talking all this **$+ when he hasn't fought anyone and lost decisively to the one step up in competition he had. #%+@ outta here.

Didn't green have some huge health problem before/during/after that fight? Something similar to what Dajuan Wagner had, needing his intestines removed or something nasty like that...he always talked alot of #%!$, but I don't think he was anywhere near 100% and you could tell he was just trying to go the distance in that fight

He was moving down in weight so that's what he used as his crutch after the fight.

Sorry and he did have most of his colon taken out after his next fight later in the year and he pegged it back to the Miranda fight.  That completely slipped my mind. 

AND NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...

FLOYDMAYWEATHER?

By Jonathan Ramirez | May 12, 2010

Themore I think about it, the more I feel like Floyd will be fighting for theMiddleweight Championship of the World in the very near future. As I watchedthe final rounds of the boxing clinic that Sergio Martinez was giving KellyPavlik, I already found myself thinking about the possibility of Floyd andSergio mixing it up. Not long after that fight, I received an email from areader asking me a variety of questions and I ended my reply with,"Don't be surprised if Floyd is the Middleweight Champion beyear's end." Still though, there were a lot of hurdles that neededto be overcome before the potential match-up could stand of chance of takingplace.

First and foremost, Floyd still had a May 1 date with Shane Mosley, afight that many felt he could possibly lose. Not to mention, Kelly Pavlik stillhad the option to exercise his rematch clause against Martinez. Furthermore,Martinez created a lot of new options for himself with his victory, includinghis own potential rematches with Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito. Althoughall of the obstacles stood in the way, personally, I never doubted that any ofthem would be solved. Fast forward to today and we now know a few things arecertain. One is that despite a momentary scare in the second round, Floydeasily schooled Shane. Another is that Kelly Pavlik has decided to forego arematch with Martinez. After all, why exercise his rematch clause when he caninstead move up in weight to face a more stationary opponent and just chalk theloss to Martinez up to being weight drained? The only other issue standing inthe way would be the eagerness of Martinez to step in the ring with Mayweatherwhen he now has other options. That being said, why would Martinez choose tofight a Williams or a Margarito next when he can instead make a career highpayday against against the best boxer on the planet and possibly be the firstto beat him?
With each passing day, it seems more and more likely that MannyPacquiao will not take the Olympic-style testing that Floyd is demanding.Although that decision will leave only a few options for both fighters, it'sFloyd that has more of them and an opportunity to face Middleweight ChampionSergio Martinez is likely the fight that would land the most money for"Money" and, at the same time, add to his legacy, making history bywinning titles from Lightweight all the way up to Middleweight. The fight makesperfect sense for Floyd as it will be viewed as a risk, but a very calculatedone as it is a very winnable fight, one that would garner plenty of attentionand still afford him the opportunity to make the kind of money he'sgrown accustomed to. It's the perfect fight for Floyd. Sergio is not abig Middleweight, he doesn't have one-punch KO power and, being a slickfighter himself, he'll likely try to engage in a chess match withFloyd. As much as Mayweather says he doesn't need belts, he still hasan ego and capturing the Middleweight title would be another accomplishment onhis stellar resume. Not to mention, time and time again, Mayweather has stated,"I only fight for the green belt," and right now, Sergio Martinez iscurrently holding one green belt (WBC) that Mayweather has yet to get his handson. So why not? Assuming the highly-anticipated clash between Mayweather andPacquiao doesn't take place, is there any better fight for Floyd otherthan a showdown with Middleweight Champion Sergio Martinez? WHO R U PICKING forFloyd to fight next?

I could see it. BTW an aide of Manny said that's he will fight in November. Either the 6th or the 13th at Cowboys stadium with the 'Boys being on the road those two weeks. That's one of the few places I can see Margarito getting a license that fast. Never know.

I would love to see a PBF/Martinez fight. I don't hold out hope for Pac/PBF ever happening so if PBF fights Martinez or Paul Williams I would be very satisfied.

[h1]Letter from Kermit Cintron to Boxing Fans World Wide Regarding His May 8th Contest with Paul Williams[/h1]
Dear Boxing Fans,

I want to clear the air about what actually happened in my May 8th fight with Paul Williams. There are a lot of rumors floating around and I want to set the record straight.

About thirty seconds into round four, Paul Williams lost his balance and started falling to the canvas.http://. Our bodies got tangled and while Paul just hit the canvas, my momentum carried me through the ropes and out of the ring. His falling is what caused me to be off-balance and all I could do was brace myself for impact.

As I fell from the ring, I think I landed on a TV monitor. That collision actually knocked the wind out of me. When I fell from there onto the floor people immediately swarmed around me. I was not exactly sure what had just happened. My only concern was trying to catch my breath.

I didn’t really know who all the people were around me. I was looking for my corner and my personal doctor, but they were not allowed near me. The ringside doctor kept his hand pressing down on me telling me to stay still and on the ground. He was concerned that I might have cracked my ribs or punctured my lung. I guess the fall looked worse than it was. I was sucking wind due to the impact of the fall and the doctor told me not to move. I simply listened to him and remained still. I told the doctor that I was ready to fight and that I just needed to catch my breath. I never said I didn’t want to continue.

California law states “A contestant who has been wrestled, pushed, or has fallen through the ropes during a contest may be helped back by anyone and the referee shall allow a reasonable time for the return.

making history bywinning titles from Lightweight all the way up to Middleweight.
grin.gif
Floyd won his first title at 130. Just saying.

IMO, there's no way Floyd takes on Martinez.  I can see him taking on Cotto...if MAC wins the Jr. Middle belt.

I need to go back and rewatch Kermy's dive through the ropes. I dont remember him falling to the floor. I though the guys on press row stopped his fall.

If I remember right he fell through the ropes, landed upright on the scorer's table and then rolled over again. There was a distinct pause between him coming to a full stop after hitting the table and then falling to the floor.

laugh.gif
he sat up on the edge of the table for like 4 seconds before he "crashed" to the ground.

Dude is a fraud.

just go back and look at some of his great work. Margarito punches him in the stomach and he lays there with Antonio yelling at him to get up cus he know he aint hurt off that punch, then he gets knocked out by sergio martinez, get counted out, then complain after the 10 count. he is a serial con artist. period. he's a Jabroni who should be in the wwf

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

he is a serial con artist. period. he's a Jabroni who should be in the wwf

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Thath %%@% against Sergio is still one of most confusing things I've seen in a fight in the last few years, right up there with Bute/Andrade 1.

Yo, how many of yall going to the Cotto & Foreman fight?

I'm trying to go...I just wonder how good will i be able to see @!+%...if i'm sitting at regular bleacher seats...

I'm just heading up to the Bronx and watching it at The Dugout this bar right across the street. Free to get in, same atmosphere and cheaper beer.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

making history by winning titles from Lightweight all the way up to Middleweight.
grin.gif
Floyd won his first title at 130. Just saying.

IMO, there's no way Floyd takes on Martinez.  I can see him taking on Cotto...if MAC wins the Jr. Middle belt.

i thought about that also a few days ago. but if he couldnt make a fight with manny he wouldnt be able to with cotto because of Arum

why wouldnt floyd take on sergio? Floyd is the one who brought his name up in the post fight interview.

Serigo is a 154lb boxer, where floyd has fought before...

I think Sergio has a little bit of time to decide if he wants to keep his belt at 154. I doubt the WBC would force him to decide between his 154 belt and 160 belt while they wait to see if PBF/Pac breaks down. They stand to make a ton in sanctioning fees.

Newly crowned middleweight champion Sergio Martinez is exploring his options, and former undisputed junior middleweight champ Winky Wright might be in his future.

Martinez won the middleweight championship via unanimous decision from Kelly Pavlik on April 17. Earlier this week, Pavlik declined to exercise his contractual option for an immediate rematch, leaving Martinez's promoter, Lou DiBella, to look for another bout.

In December, Martinez (45-2-2, 24 KOs) lost a heavily debated majority decision to Paul Williams in one of the year's most exciting slugfests. But while both camps have said they are interested in a rematch, neither wants to do it next.

So DiBella told ESPN.com that he and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer are talking about a fall match with Wright, which they would hope to sell to HBO or Showtime.

"I have to pursue all possibilities for Sergio, and Richard and I have discussed both Winky Wright and Shane Mosley," said DiBella, adding that Wright was the one they discussed more seriously.

Schaefer, who also promotes Mosley, said he planned to meet with him next week to talk about his future. Mosley was soundly outpointed by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a welterweight fight on May 1.

As for Wright facing Martinez, Schaefer said: "I talked to Lou. He's interested and I talked to Winky. He is ready, willing and able. I think it would be a very interesting fight. Do or die for Winky and big test for Martinez."

It's a fight Wright would like to have. He hasn't fought since a lopsided decision loss to Williams in April 2009, which came after a layoff of more than two years following his light heavyweight loss to Bernard Hopkins.

"I like Martinez. He has very good skills, a very smart fighter. That's the kind of fight I am looking forward to and to show why I was the undisputed junior middleweight champion," Wright told ESPN.com on Thursday.

Besides the middleweight belts Martinez owns, he also has a junior middleweight title. But he has not decided in which division he will defend. Boxing rules prohibit him from keeping both titles, so the division he decides to fight in will depend on the opponent.

"It all depends on my management and promoter and what they can bring to the table," Martinez said. "Whoever they bring, I will fight them. Either division would be OK."

DiBella said he and Schaefer did not discuss weight for a Wright or Mosley fight, but Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs) said he would have to fight at middleweight.

If Martinez faced Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs), it would probably be at junior middleweight, where Mosley was once a unified titleholder before losing his belts to Wright in 2004.

"Martinez is a guy I would get up for, a guy I would be motivated to train hard for," Wright said. "I know I haven't fought for a while, but every time I go to the fights people ask me, 'When are you getting back into the ring?' I tell them there really hasn't been anyone to fight. I couldn't get a fight with Pavlik. Who else was there to fight? Martinez is the fight we're looking for. He really beat Paul and then he beat Pavlik.

"When I fought Paul Williams I was coming off an even longer layoff, more than two years. People gotta realize the position I was in. I didn't come back and pick and choose an easy opponent. Of course, I could fight and get three or four easy wins, but I want to fight the people that people think I will lose to. Williams was so tall and awkward. He was hard to fight, especially coming off a two-year layoff."

Wright said he and Schaefer have talked about Wright fighting tune-up type fights on undercards, but he said that does not appeal to him.

"I've been fighting almost 20 years and for me to really get up and fight on an undercard it ain't no challenge," Wright said. "The money is low and the stakes aren't high, so I am not driven to do it. In boxing you have to feel it. If I can't get a challenge there is no need to be in the sport. I need a good, tough opponent. Fighting just anyone ain't me.

"I talked to Richard and we're definitely going to do what we can do to get the Martinez fight. I don't see myself fighting too much longer unless we can come up with a good opponent. If I can't get a big fight, I will leave the game. I love boxing, but boxing is not all I want to do. I had a great career. I can say I ran from no one. There are not too many who can say that. I fought everyone. I hope I can get another good fight before I leave the game."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Not that anyone would care but they exhumed Valero's body today. His brothers seem to think that the police strangled him.

Back
Top Bottom