2011 another great year for college football

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

<
Just like Charlie's squad that a certain NT'er [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]claimed had less football talent than BK's last Cincy team.

A few years later, damn near that entire ND starting lineup on both sides of the ball is either in the league or on a NFL practice squad.

What's Mardy Gilyard up to?
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Mardy Gilyard can't learn an NFL playbook that's what happened to him.

And I wish that Cincy team had as much talent as ND
laugh.gif
. Kelly just has to get his guys in there, honestly. Basically what he said to the media and got killed for was true. Once he gets his guys in there he'll definitely have success. ND fans shouldn't even worry.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

What's BYU issue w/ Dr pepper

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Mormon school,
laugh.gif
.  You know Mormons don't drink soda since caffeine alters the mind.

It's why the Pac 8, Pac10 and Pac 12 didn't want no part of BYU.
As a Mormon, I find this utterly lulz 
roll.gif
 soda? I'd say LDS people are some of the biggest soda drinkers in the country because we don't do alcohol. My family are a bunch of Dr. Pepper, Diet Pepsi, Diet Dew, etc. addicts 
roll.gif

My mom is the worst with her Coca-Cola
30t6p3b.gif

BYU isn't in any major conference because it won't play on Sundays in any sport and it doesn't bring any kind of TV market with it and it's football/basketball program will never been great because of the standards that BYU has so they'll never truly field a really great team. Plain and simple.

Mormons might drink caffeine, but your leadership at BYU wasn't going to concede and say "oh well my family drinks plenty of Dr. Pepper." The TV market thing is definitely false that was a big draw for the B12. BYU is a national name. How do you get a deal with ESPN without having a national draw? The issues were playing on Sundays, Dr. Pepper, and an abundance of other things. The Big 12 didn't realize how hard it was going to be to get a deal done with BYU.
I guess I'm confused about how Dr. Pepper even relates to football in this case, unless we're talking about the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Championship game. The BYU fan base is pretty big, but it's not like pulling in a major market. You'd have good attendance at away games, but there are only some 6 million Mormons in the USA, and not everybody likes or watches BYU football.
I am happy to be wrong about all this, as it's just my opinion, but I still don't get how soda was a hold up.

I don't want Oregon anywhere near the title game again (at least this year).
laugh.gif

I'd take an undefeated Boise over the Ducks in a heartbeat.

LSU showed that they still have a lot of work to do in order to be on that level (especially in the trenches).

*don't come @ me, [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Chester[/color]*

I can't blame you for not wanting Oregon in the NC, especially with the way that Darron has played thus far. I expected him to take a big step this year, but he still doesn't look comfortable out there. He'll hit you with one or two "holy $$%+" plays a game, but he'll also have you shaking your head numerous times a game. All a top-tier defense has to do is stuff the run and force DT to beat you with his arm.

Don't even get me started on the mistakes that the defense keeps making.
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Do I think Oregon can hang with anybody in the country? Absolutely. Do I think they can beat anybody in the country? Hell no. Alabama or LSU is going to make the title game, and either one of them would murk the Ducks.

Hell, meeting Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl wouldn't be pretty, either. That's *if* the Ducks don't get bullied by Stanford's offensive line in a couple weeks.

This team frustrates me. I love so much about them, but I find more deficiencies every week.

I'm glad your perceptions of people can be based on cartoons.
Perceptions =/= think

I have my thoughts on the Church of LDS, don't want to turn this into a religious discussion.  That South Park episode just laid it out in layman's terms for the masses.  You should watch it and lighten up a little.

It isn't just Cal and Stanford, it's all the California schools that really don't want to associate themselves with BYU.  The California institutions are liberal research institutions.  BYU does everything with ties to LDS, including it's rules and "honor code" it has for it's student body.  The worst thing BYU did was to join a conference in the first place.  There success came as an Independent.  Most of it's "ways" is used against them when it comes to recruiting.  Can't fill your roster with LDS practitioners only.

BYU doesn't really bring anything to the table that the Pac 12 would want.  It's a good university, but not on par with the California schools.  It has a solid fan base, but not a huge market.  As the Big XII found out, they are a headache to deal with.  As a religious institution, they will try to use their ideals/beliefs in when it comes to make decisions for the Conference.  Yes, the Dr. Pepper thing is due to it having caffeine.

I'm damn near positive Michigan would have played Florida much tougher than the Buckeyes did considering they beat them in the state of Florida one year later.
That point is moot, after Michigan got worked in the Rose Bowl.  Drop it buddy.  I'm positive the best matchup with any of the SEC teams from 2006-2008 was USC.  Never happened due to dumb losses and politics.  Would've been awesome to see.

Thorpe Award Semifinalists

Antonio Allen, South Carolina

David Amerson, North Carolina State

Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State

Mark Barron, Alabama

Brandon Boykin, Georgia

Brodrick Brown, Oklahoma State

Morris Claiborne, LSU

Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt

Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech

Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

Nigel Malone, Kansas State

Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State

T.J. McDonald, USC

Chase Minnifield, Virginia

as of now...I got Claiborne.

Tell me to drop it and then proceed to bring up hypotheticals of your own?
laugh.gif

OK.
I'm positive the best matchup with any of the SEC teams from 2006-2008 was USC.
I agree.

Still doesn't make what I said any less credible.  Losing to USC in their backyard after the Wolverines' season was just shattered =/= playing Florida tougher than tO$U in a National Championship game setting.

Michigan beat that Gators nucleus in Florida 1 year later.  This is factual, not conjecture.

USC never played them.

EDIT: HOW IN THE HELL IS TM7 NOT ON THAT THORPE LIST?!
alien.gif
nerd.gif

I guess I'm confused about how Dr. Pepper even relates to football in this case, unless we're talking about the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Championship game. 

exactly!!! that was my going to be my point. does Dr. pepper have some big endorsment with the big 12 outside of the title game that we dont know about? and mind you the title game is know more

It isn't just Cal and Stanford, it's all the California schools that really don't want to associate themselves with BYU.  The California institutions are liberal research institutions.  BYU does everything with ties to LDS, including it's rules and "honor code" it has for it's student body.  The worst thing BYU did was to join a conference in the first place.  There success came as an Independent.  Most of it's "ways" is used against them when it comes to recruiting.  Can't fill your roster with LDS practitioners only.

Knew Ironman would cover it.
laugh.gif
i had forgot the issues why most where saying No to BYU last year

Originally Posted by Cash Bagz

Mark Barron, Alabama

Brandon Boykin, Georgia

Morris Claiborne, LSU

Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

T.J. McDonald, USC

Jayron
pimp.gif

Y'all might think I'm crazy but Kyler Fuller should be on that list over Jayron Hosley. He's not as good of a pure cover corner but he's having a much better season and has probably been the best player on the defense this year. He has 9.5 TFL on the year and is a beast playing the run. He made a sick play last game on 4th and 2, Duke ran a play action fake and had the RB run into the flat and rolled Renfree out with a run/pass option. Fuller diagnosed it and trucked the RB after he came off the line and then sprinted out and sacked Renfree, singlehandedly shut down all options on the play by himself
laugh.gif
Meanwhile Hosley got repeatedly burned by Connor Vernon all game. Hosley is a better corner but Fuller has had an overall better season.
Also how the $+*$ is Mathieu not on that list?
laugh.gif

i haven't seen much of lsu but is mathieu even that good in coverage? getting a few strips is fantastic but i don't know if he's dre blys heir apparrent

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I guess I'm confused about how Dr. Pepper even relates to football in this case, unless we're talking about the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Championship game. 
Dr. Pepper still has a binding contract with the Big XII to sponsor their title game.  Due to NCAA rules the Big XII can't hold a title game, so they are not in violation of the contract with Dr. Pepper.  If the Big XII adds  teams and gets back to 12 members, a title game would be in play and Dr. Pepper automatically becomes the sponsor.

Tell me to drop it and then proceed to bring up hypotheticals of your own?
The loss in the Rose Bowl makes it a moot point.  If Michigan would've won out, you could play all the hypotheticals you want.

Still doesn't make what I said any less credible.  Losing to USC in their backyard after the Wolverines' season was just shattered =/= playing Florida tougher than tO$U in a National Championship game setting.
This is such a cop out, used by so many teams (*cough* Cal *cough*), you lose a tough game in November, so you can't get yourself up for a major bowl game in January.  Michigan still had a shot at a split title, they just got dominated in the Rose Bowl by a better team.

Spoiler [+]
The "Personal Foul" on TJ McDonald, don't know about that, too much gray area in that rule.

Originally Posted by Cash Bagz

Mark Barron, Alabama

Brandon Boykin, Georgia

Morris Claiborne, LSU

Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

T.J. McDonald, USC

Maybe I'm missing something but, no Mathieu?
nerd.gif

We'll agree to disagree on "cop out".

Are you really gonna sit there and act like a loss in that fashion/of that magnitude (#1 vs. #2) w/ that much at stake on the line doesn't OBLITERATE the moral of a team?  You're better than that.
laugh.gif

Like Cal has ever been in the position of losing 42-39 on a questionable late hit penalty in the Horseshoe (greatest rival) for the Big Ten Title and an automatic birth in the National Title game?  Right...

And no, they didn't really have any realistic chance at a split title in Pasadena.

Yes, USC was the better team that day.  But being tied at half time and losing by 2 scores =/= "dominated", though.

I'm not sure if you even know what I'm arguing at this point.
laugh.gif

/this discussion that should of been had and probably was discussed 5 years ago.  It really is relatively pointless at this point in time.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I'm glad your perceptions of people can be based on cartoons.
Perceptions =/= think

I have my thoughts on the Church of LDS, don't want to turn this into a religious discussion.  That South Park episode just laid it out in layman's terms for the masses.  You should watch it and lighten up a little.

BYU doesn't really bring anything to the table that the Pac 12 would want.  It's a good university, but not on par with the California schools.  It has a solid fan base, but not a huge market.  As the Big XII found out, they are a headache to deal with.  As a religious institution, they will try to use their ideals/beliefs in when it comes to make decisions for the Conference.  Yes, the Dr. Pepper thing is due to it having caffeine.

I'm damn near positive Michigan would have played Florida much tougher than the Buckeyes did considering they beat them in the state of Florida one year later.
That point is moot, after Michigan got worked in the Rose Bowl.  Drop it buddy.  I'm positive the best matchup with any of the SEC teams from 2006-2008 was USC.  Never happened due to dumb losses and politics.  Would've been awesome to see.

I've seen the episode. Trust me, I know most everything that's been said, discussed, claimed, about my faith.
Anyways.

You nailed most of it on the head about BYU. They're gonna be them and they're okay if nobody cares. I'm okay if nobody cares. Let BYU be BYU is what I say.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

I can't blame you for not wanting Oregon in the NC, especially with the way that Darron has played thus far. I expected him to take a big step this year, but he still doesn't look comfortable out there. He'll hit you with one or two "holy $$%+" plays a game, but he'll also have you shaking your head numerous times a game. All a top-tier defense has to do is stuff the run and force DT to beat you with his arm.

Don't even get me started on the mistakes that the defense keeps making.
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Do I think Oregon can hang with anybody in the country? Absolutely. Do I think they can beat anybody in the country? Hell no. Alabama or LSU is going to make the title game, and either one of them would murk the Ducks.

Hell, meeting Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl wouldn't be pretty, either. That's *if* the Ducks don't get bullied by Stanford's offensive line in a couple weeks.

This team frustrates me. I love so much about them, but I find more deficiencies every week.
This times 1000

Originally Posted by emulov

i haven't seen much of lsu but is mathieu even that good in coverage? getting a few strips is fantastic but i don't know if he's dre blys heir apparrent

He's good, but he dammmmn sho ain't Dre Bly!Yep stat. Markelle is Nasty!!! Didn't know he was capable of laying the hat like he's been doing this season

Back
Top Bottom