2011 another great year for college football

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Anyone hearing anything about Meyer and PSU talking?

Yes, read that's it's a done deal but *shrugs*So Farmer's move to RB is permanent? Ehhhhh idk about that one.
It's more complicated than that,  CLK does want to use him out the backfield, in the slot.  Basically, they see him as the next Reggie Bush. 

I think urban to psu has been going on for a couple weeks now. I wonder what effect this scandal would have on things.
Although it will be a stain on Penn State as a whole, there aren't any repercussions to the football team.  Wouldn't this scandal allow Urban to clean house without controversy?  If this scandal wouldn't have happened, Urban would've had some bad PR taking out all of JoePa's loyal cronies.  Now he can get rid of all of them and say he wants a clean start for the program.

roll.gif
 @ mike throwing shots

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

thomas is gonna be a problem in the future
The future?

He's a problem now, that's going to be his role going forward.  He doesn't have the frame to be a featured back, he's a small guy. 

Yes, Farmer is faster, but it is going to take some time for him to pick up the nuances of being a RB.  He will though, he's going to be a stud and I know Oregon fans don't like talking about the NFL, but Farmer has a better chance of making it to the L than DAT.

Gunna, how you whiff on Marqise Lee (43 receptions, 658 yards, 7 tubs).  Props to Dre for the mention.  Doesn't have the flash, just gets %$*@ done.

As far as Stanford not beating a good team,
laugh.gif
, like coming to the Coliseum is an easy feat.  Don't be fooled by the slow start, this SC team is good and only getting better. 

Oregon is selling the nation fool's gold this year.  Who have they beat?  Only solid win they have is ASU, and they are a Jekyll (Home) & Hyde (Road) team.

The offense is good, but beatable.  The defense is...well...no D really.  Even though our D has become better as the season has progressed, I think it's ghastly.  Oregon is ranked behind us.

It's going to be a better game than people think, and it's at The Farm.  Oregon has a solid home field advantage: venue, fans, refs when they play in Autzen.

you can't possibly call usc a good team while saying that oregon hasn't beaten anybody. they beat the crap outta one of the teams that beat you
roll.gif
roll.gif

without the nations leading rusher........also without our starting qb for most of the 3rd qtr and all of the 4th.  No D?  Saturday the ducks held the huskies to less than half their scoring average of the season. they kept polk out of the endzone(he had 5 td's the previous week) they sacked qb price 6 times and intercepted him twice.  all this went down @ washington, with a fired up crowd celebrating the last game at husky stadium.   I'd say they've proven a lot this season about how deep they are and the different ways they can win games.  Oregon will stomp the pis outta SC this year  at autzen just like they did last year at the coliseum.

you can't possibly call usc a good team while saying that oregon hasn't beaten anybody. they beat the crap outta one of the teams that beat you
roll.gif
roll.gif

They beat the crap out of ASU?  Where you scoreboard watching.  Oregon outplayed them, but lets not pretend like ASU didn't make a million mistakes that game.  As always Oregon pulled away late, you make it sound like ASU was never in the game.

The argument is that Stanford hasn't beaten anybody, when Oregon hasn't beat anybody either.  You don't get brownie points for getting beat by LSU.  The only solid win on their schedule is beating ASU at home and ASU isn't looking too good now that they have shown that they are a bad road team.

If Washington is your measuring stick, did you not see what Stanford did to Washington?  Sarkisian is doing some good things in Washington but they are not ready yet.  It was more of a defensive game, probably due to the atmosphere.  You forgot to mention that in the previous week they played Arizona, which helps explain the 5td's Polk had.

Sounds like you don't really know your own team.
Oregon will stomp the pis outta SC this year  at autzen just like they did last year at the coliseum.
Can't Wait!

This is late but why is there anyone that reads this thread even semi-regularly and doesn't have this Stanford nut licker on ignore? You're ruining it for the rest of us by quoting and responding.

It all depends how the last few weeks and conference championships play out but I wouldn't be that interested in a Bama-LSU rematch. If every other team loses at least once, then sure. Blame the BCS format but if you want a shot, win games. If both Bama & LSU had prolific offenses to go along with their defenses, I'd be more into it. I don't know that another team would beat them but it would just be more interesting to see a different match up.

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

This is late but why is there anyone that reads this thread even semi-regularly and doesn't have this Stanford nut licker on ignore? You're ruining it for the rest of us by quoting and responding.
Because in the end, NT isn't serious enough to me personally for me to want to block people.

Don't like what I post, don't read it. This is an Internet message board, free speech when used correctly and not abusing it. When have I ever abused my privileges? I post numbers, facts, commits, and when I am attacked, I attack back. Like I said, ignore me, look for previous posts, do what you need to do. As long as there is a college football thread, I will post. Trolling or not, I back up my statements unlike certain SEC homers. That's all folks.

Y'all see this?
It was an hour before kickoff Saturday night at Neyland Stadium and Tennessee coach Derek Dooley was out of kickers. Literally.

Naturally, he called Fraternity Row.

"(Michael) Palardy was hurt," Dooley said after the Vols' 24-0 victory against Middle Tennessee State. "He hurt himself Thursday in practice but we thought he'd be fine. He couldn't go. Then (Chip) Rhome goes out there in pregame and he pulls a muscle."

Good thing for Dooley and the Vols, Derrick Brodus wasn't busy.

"We didn't have a kicker," Dooley said. "And we had to make a call to the frat house. This is no lie. We called the frat house and had a policeman go get him."

Another plus for the Vols: Brodus was sober.

"Let's get a call to Brodus," Dooley recalled telling his staff, "and it's a good thing he wasn't having too much Saturday afternoon (fun). I told the coaches, 'Hey, an intoxicated Brodus is better than nobody.

"Just get him here and we'll do a Breathalyzer. Fortunately, he didn't have anything bad."

http://www.govolsxtra.com...om-couch-answers-call-a/

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Michigan took a commitment from AA Pioneer RB Drake Johnson. I kind of think the coaches must be expecting more attrition because the numbers are already tight and are still pursuing Dunn. Not saying its a bad thing just this is the first commit where I scratch my head a little.

[h2]Steve Sarkisian: I'd take Matt Barkley[/h2]

By Pedro Moura
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive

LOS ANGELES -- Washington Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian appeared to take a page out of the old Lou Holtz book for game management and amped up the pressure on USC this week with his comments Monday regarding Trojans quarterback Matt Barkley.

Asked about the USC offense in advance of Saturday's game against the Trojans, Sarkisian said Barkley would be a better NFL quarterback than his significantly more-hyped counterpart at Stanford, Andrew Luck.

"If I'm an NFL head coach right now, I'd pick Matt Barkley ahead of Andrew Luck," Sarkisian said in his weekly press conference.

Told afterward of his comments, Barkley laughed and said Sarkisian was "just pouring on the sugar."

"He's just pouring it on," he said.

As a USC assistant, Sarkisian recruited Barkley out of Santa Ana Mater Dei as a prep. Sarkisian referenced Mater Dei in justifying his comments, noting that very few players start on the varsity as a true freshman -- especially at quarterback and especially at schools like Mater Dei.

Luck, Stanford's redshirt junior quarterback who is almost unanimously considered the top quarterback in the college ranks, did not do much against Washington in the Cardinal's win over the Huskies last month. But he wasn't asked to, attempting only 21 passes but completing 16 of them for 169 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Barkley posted similar numbers against Washington a year ago in the Trojans' 32-31 October loss at the Coliseum, completing 14 of 20 passes for 186 yards. He did not play against Sarkisian's Huskies the previous season because of an injury.

Sarkisian said a lot of his high praise of Barkley could be traced back to this season, as he has improved his numbers across the board. Through nine games, Barkley has completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,608 yards, 28 touchdowns and six interceptions.

"I think he's playing at that high of a level," Sarkisian said.

After Washington's 34-17 loss over the weekend to Oregon, Huskies defensive coordinator Nick Holt told reporters that his team's upcoming game against USC would be easier to plan for than the game against the Ducks.

"We'll be OK against these guys," said Holt, who twice held the same position at USC under former coach Pete Carroll. "I'd rather play USC than Oregon, quite honestly."

Asked about Holt's comments after Monday's practice, Kiffin downplayed the statements and any potential influence it would have on his team leading up to Saturday's game at the Coliseum.

"I don't make much of it," Kiffin said. "We have great respect for those guys and their staff and their players

"They beat us two years in a row so they can say whatever they want."

But the comment -- along with a note marking how many yards USC gained in a losing effort against the Huskies last season -- was posted on a door in USC's Heritage Hall by mid-morning Monday. Most players walk through the door where it was posted each day while leaving the school's athletic headquarters.

Sarkisian said he had no problem with his assistant coach's remarks, saying they were meant to be more of a praise of Oregon than a diss directed at USC.

"I think you can ask every defensive coordinator in our conference the same question and they'd say the same thing," Sarkisian said. "Oregon is harder to prepare for because of how unique they are. That doesn't mean that 'SC's not really good -- I think they're a tremendous offensive football team."

"The comment was about the preparation for an offensive style, and as we've all seen now for years, at Oregon they're very hard to prepare for and the speed and tempo they play at is difficult."

But Sarkisian, who spent seven seasons at USC, seemed to make a slight dig at Kiffin and his program after he was told that USC posted the comments at Heritage Hall.

"If that quote's gonna make USC play better, then that'll make them play better," Sarkisian said. "I don't know.

"We don't motivate that way here."

A year ago, Sarkisian told reporters in Seattle that USC had the deepest team in the conference "from top to bottom." He repeated that comment Monday, despite the fact that the Trojans' 4-2 record in Pac-12 play is only tied with three other teams for third-best in the conference.

It seemed a continuation of a long-standing back-and-forth between Kiffin and Sarkisian, who were co-offensive coordinators for a time at USC and have kept up their friendship through the years. Both men have traded jabs in the week leading up to their head-to-head matchups.

"That's an old Lou Holtz trick that he learned watching TV a long time ago," Kiffin said a year ago of Sarkisian's hype-up comments. "To call a team that has the lowest scholarships probably in the country the deepest team in the Pac-10, that's an old set-up trick.

"We can barely find enough guys to practice. Our service team is made up of some kids from science class. Half of them never played football before."

Asked then if it was possible that he was employing similar tactics by downplaying the caliber of his own team, Kiffin smiled.

"We watched the same show," he said.

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Michigan took a commitment from AA Pioneer RB Drake Johnson. I kind of think the coaches must be expecting more attrition because the numbers are already tight and are still pursuing Dunn. Not saying its a bad thing just this is the first commit where I scratch my head a little.
Agreed. Probably the first "reach"in this class.

Kid is explosive with great speed and good size to go along with it. Hope he can develop into a great running back now.

Chris Owusu out this week. All things aside, this is the smart thing to do. His health should always be the most important thing considered. Hopefully he can make a full recovery and hopefully no residing effects occur as a result of multiple head injuries.

Guy is a playmaker but he's also a human being.

EDIT

story from a friend inside psu is that paterno's been asked to resign... i know the urban meyer rumors been around but apparently no matter what this is joe pa's last year.

anyone else hearing anything solid?

Is PSU that prestigious of a job? I know PA is a great football state but it's not one of the first Top 10 schools when college football is mentioned.

It can be, even though Paterno made them what they are, he has held that program back the past decade, IMO.  The Bobby Bowden effect.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Is PSU that prestigious of a job? I know PA is a great football state but it's not one of the first Top 10 schools when college football is mentioned.

It's not top 10 but it is top 15. At worst it's the top 20.

Back
Top Bottom