2011 another great year for college football

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by AndrewLuck

Who has alabama beat that's any good?
Arkansas

Penn St is 8-1 as well... plus both wins we're dominating ones. Not triple OT or having to come from behind or anything. Complete domination.
Giving up 477 yards in two games isn't exactly dominant, especially since LSU failed to score a touchdown against bama. Oregon put up 27... What does that tell you? The sec doesn't play offense.
This is like OK state playing for the national title when they've given up 1200 yards in two games, that's impressive. Those two ranked teams that OSU beat are now 11-6.. Not exactly spectacular.
Stanford's opponents that were ranked when they beat them are 13-5... And one they beat by 44 points. That's domination.

The Same Penn State team who's opponents are 29-33?
And the same Arkansas team who's opponents they beat are 27-36.

Not like that other team that went into triple overtime was in front of 92,000 fans with losing their starting tight end and missing their starting linebacker and safety. No big deal.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

Sherman isn't the end all be all of your problems though
You're right, he's not. The defense has been a big problem, and DeRuyter has certainly had his issues. But how many of those defensive issues could be minimized if Sherman called plays in an attempt to do so?

Offensively, you have one of probably the top five RB tandems in college football, one of the best offensive lines in the conference, and receivers that have serious problems getting separation from defensive backs. Defensively, you have a team that is pretty good at stopping the run, but has a very thin defensive backfield and lacks a true leader that really understands the defense (see Hodges from last year). You average over 5 yards per carry and only a little over 7 yards per pass attempt. You have the worst pass defense in the nation, and play five of the top 10 passing offenses in the nation.

Is a 50/50 run to pass split really the best offense for the team, given the above info? That needs to be closer to 60/40 in favor of the run. Maybe even up around 65 to 70 percent run. We need to be doing everything we can to grind the clock and keep our defense off of the field. Instead, we're seeing play breakdowns of 63 passes to 29 rushes in 30 mph winds against Oklahoma last weekend. Another example: against Oklahoma State, the 99th ranked defense against the run, we have a play breakdown of 47 passes to 27 rushes. We're up by 17 at halftime and averaging almost 7 yards per carry. So we come out in the second half and have a play breakdown of 29 passes and 5 rushes.

So yes, while Sherman isn't the root of all of our problems, he's not doing anything as a head coach to address or attempt to minimize those problems. I was listening to one of the radio shows in Dallas talk about Jason Garrett this morning. They were talking about how the job is too big for Garrett right now. He needs to bring in an OC, stop focusing on just one aspect of the game, and become more of a CEO type figure. I felt like that exact same critique fit perfectly for Mike Sherman. I think Oklahoma State really turned into a damn good team when Mike Gundy finally decided to do this. I remember a few years back, you would see Gundy with his back completely turned away from the field when his defense was out there. In the last few years he's given more control of the offense to his coordinators and focused more on all aspects of the game. I don't think it's any coincidence that they've been recruiting better and playing better as a result.

Originally Posted by calibeebee

don't know if this has been posted, i know it's from a couple of weeks ago but i finally found a good vid of this guy on skates
roll.gif

thomas is gonna be a problem in the future

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

1. LSU- Upset against Arkansas will cause an ugly three way tie in the SEC West between LSU, Bama and Arkansas. Bama gets the nod to play in the SEC title game based on BCS standing and plays...drum roll... Georgia.

if bama and LSU have same record, SEC goes by Head to head wins over BCS standing.
i heard them arguing this on Mike and Mike this morning and they were convinced a late season loss would vault Bama over LSU and i was like "but it's head to head...".  But would Arkansas be totally left out of the equation? 

Also hypo: LSU plays in the SECCG and loses to go 11-2.  Does that then put a 12-1 Bama team (that lost to LSU and didn't even play in its own conference championship let alone win it) into the NCG?

but in this scenario, if Bama loses the SECCG would a 2-loss SEC Champ team get in...wait...

10. Virginia Tech- Despite a loss to Virginia, they earn a nod in the ACC title game. This time the Hokies beat the Tigers.

VERY worried about this game. UVA's defense is actually pretty good and their QB play is improving. Lazor does a great job calling plays and their defense is well-coached. All their young guys on offense are more experienced by this point in the season as well. I think if we win it'll be pretty close.

Alright here's some stuff about the GT game this week that most people won't care about so I put it in a spoiler
Spoiler [+]
We're going with a crazy lineup on defense against GT on Thursday. JR Collins (a 242 lb DE) is moving inside to DT and Tyrel Wilson (normally the backup at the other DE spot, only 219 lbs) is filling in at Collins' DE spot. That gives us 219, 242, 305, and 254 on the DL. I think they're hoping that by getting more speed/disruption on the interior they will be able to better avoid the cutblocks from GT's OL and shoot the gaps and get into the backfield to stop the dive. And then on the edge having more athletic DE's will be better against the option backs and avoiding crackbacks. GT doesn't drive block as much so size isn't as important as it would normally be (if you saw the GT-UNC game, Coples was pretty much a nonfactor due to GT's scheme), but I'd have to think Paul Johnson would switch it up and throw in some plays that use different techniques to take advantage of the size mismatch. When GT does drive block, like a on 4th and shorts, they are very good at getting off the line and getting a push. They actually move early at times but because it's all done in sync and the line moves all at once the refs rarely notice that it's before the ball is snapped. 
Kyle Fuller (normally the field CB) is gonna be playing a hybrid whip/nickel back position since our whips are out with injuries. He's one of our best open field tacklers in recent memory and has 10 TFL on the year. He has played a nickelback/whip spot this year whenever we face a team running the spread but this is the first time his duties will be more similar to a traditional whip closer to the line of scrimmage. I actually feel a lot better about this move than I do the small DL, but we'll see. 

I think it's gonna be one of those things that either works really well and makes Bud look like a genius, or it'll blow up in his face and we'll get gashed
laugh.gif
"They're a pain in the %%%. You can quote me on that sh**" -Bud on GT's offense.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cash Bagz

if bama and LSU have same record, SEC goes by Head to head wins over BCS standing.
i heard them arguing this on Mike and Mike this morning and they were convinced a late season loss would vault Bama over LSU and i was like "but it's head to head...".  But would Arkansas be totally left out of the equation? 

Also hypo: LSU plays in the SECCG and loses to go 11-2.  Does that then put a 12-1 Bama team (that lost to LSU and didn't even play in its own conference championship let alone win it) into the NCG?

but in this scenario, if Bama loses the SECCG would a 2-loss SEC Champ team get in...wait...
i just noticed my typo: i meant to say 11-1* bama team in over an 11-2 LSU team, but by everyones responses i think you all got what i meant anyway

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by dreClark

Arkansas

Penn St is 8-1 as well... plus both wins we're dominating ones. Not triple OT or having to come from behind or anything. Complete domination.
Giving up 477 yards in two games isn't exactly dominant, especially since LSU failed to score a touchdown against bama. Oregon put up 27... What does that tell you? The sec doesn't play offense.
This is like OK state playing for the national title when they've given up 1200 yards in two games, that's impressive. Those two ranked teams that OSU beat are now 11-6.. Not exactly spectacular.
Stanford's opponents that were ranked when they beat them are 13-5... And one they beat by 44 points. That's domination.

The Same Penn State team who's opponents are 29-33?
And the same Arkansas team who's opponents they beat are 27-36.

Not like that other team that went into triple overtime was in front of 92,000 fans with losing their starting tight end and missing their starting linebacker and safety. No big deal.
laugh.gif

Sooo......what exactly are you saying?

Hopefully the Ducks win Sat. so this troll Luck can disappear into oblivion.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

You're the type of fan who would cheer for an SEC team in the champonship, when your team went 0-12. Yelling "SEC PRIDE"
What I'm trying to say is Arkansas is over rated, and so is OK State. Which is obvious.

And it took Stanford 3 overtimes to beat USC but you guys are a juggernaut?

I'm guessing they didn't play a ranked or winning team till Washington. That logic was off base.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

You're the type of fan who would cheer for an SEC team in the champonship, when your team went 0-12. Yelling "SEC PRIDE"
What I'm trying to say is Arkansas is over rated, and so is OK State. Which is obvious.
Interesting...and if Stanford gets handled this week, what were they?

And I wonder two how giving up 230 yds in two seperate games is not impressive.

laugh.gif
"I aint Eatin '

roll.gif

2 Loss SEC Champ has won the Nat'l Title before ...

That year was a fluke though, cus OSU had one loss but teams 2-7 all had 2 losses. Mizzou and WVA %%%% the bed and dropped out of the top two spots on championship weekend. Oklahoma won the Big 12 with two losses but they were 9th prior to that game and had too far to climb. USC didn't have a conference championship game to win and had two pretty bad losses, Georgia was looking great but they didn't even play in their title game so they were left out. VT won their conference but got debacled by LSU 48-7 earlier in the season and voters didn't want to have us above them because of that even though we were ahead of them already in the polls (and being several years out from it now, it's obvious LSU was a much better team so they got that right). So there really wasn't any other choice besides LSU that year. ( I still hate Erik Ainge for throwing that pick 6
30t6p3b.gif
)
On a side note, it didn't get much pub but the Orange Bowl wanted to switch out Kansas and have us play Oklahoma (#3 VT vs. #4 OU)  and everybody involved agreed to it, except Delaney and Slive said no
laugh.gif
I don't blame them for protecting their conference's interests though. If that had happened Big Game Bob might have been able to claim at least a split MNC
laugh.gif

@ Andrew  Luck it's called matchups. Both Bama and LSU had some of the biggest average MOV this year, and it wasn't cus their offenses are terrible. Yea they aren't the best offenses in the country, but they are predicated on lining up and running right at you and beating teams deep off play action. It just so happens that both defenses are well suited to stop the other's brand of offense. What other teams in the country have a good enough front 7 to stop Bama and LSU's running game straight up?

WVU and Oregon's offenses are a tougher matchup for those D's because they spread them out and neutralize the size and strength advantages,  as well as tiring them out running laterally (this is why you saw LSU have some success when they started using the option game with Jefferson more). Against a team who's less suited to defending their offensive styles, Bama and LSU have done just fine this year. You made a big deal about LSU giving up yards to WVU and Oregon and only scoring 9 on Bama, well how many did they score on WVU and Oregon? Exactly
laugh.gif
Their gameplan on offense is much different because it's about ball-control and pounding the D into submission while minimizing turnovers and relying on your defense and the other team to make mistakes. Also, LSU got out to big leads in those games and Darron Thomas and Geno Smith were forced to throw the ball 54 and 65 times because they were playing from behind. Those passing totals are pretty much inflated and in garbage time so the stats don't tell the whole story.  LSU's strategy to defend the pass with a 20 point lead isn't gonna be the same as it would be with a 3 point lead. 

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

( I still hate Erik Ainge for throwing that pick 6
30t6p3b.gif
)   
laugh.gif

sick.gif

that pick 6 effectively began the downward spiral that is Tennessee Volunteer Football

Originally Posted by calibeebee

don't know if this has been posted, i know it's from a couple of weeks ago but i finally found a good vid of this guy on skates
roll.gif

thomas is gonna be a problem in the future

2011 Stats:
George Farmer:  2 REC, 23 YDS, 0 TD's

De'anthony Thomas: Recieving; 25 REC, 382 YDS, 6 TD's
Rushing; ATT 41, 349 YD's, 5 TD's
Kick return; 22 KR, 573 YD's, 1 TD

this is the college football thread, not the track and field thread. thanks

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

( I still hate Erik Ainge for throwing that pick 6
30t6p3b.gif
)   
laugh.gif

sick.gif

that pick 6 effectively began the downward spiral that is Tennessee Volunteer Football
laugh.gif
I can't imagine how you must have felt. 
As for me, we were riding back from the ACC CG. We stopped to get dinner and the SEC CG was on the TV and like literally 5 seconds after I started watching Ainge throws the pick 6 
roll.gif
At the time I didn't think it mattered cus the prospect of sneaking into the title game hand't even crossed my mind, but then later in the night listening to the WVU and Mizzou games and hearing that they lost I was like wait a second....AAAAINGE!!!

And here I was thinking Matt Mauck started Tennessee's downward spiral.
30t6p3b.gif
Still one of the biggest upsets I've ever seen.

I didn't know Mamba was producing like that, at least in terms of scoring. 12 total TD's with 3 games to go
pimp.gif

Frosh AA?

Back
Top Bottom