2011 College Football "The Real been hacked!!!!" .

Originally Posted by frankl1001

Am I crazy on picking Illinois to win the Leaders division?

Not really. I mean, Wisky is loaded but I still dont trust them with all this expectations this season

Originally Posted by frankl1001

Am I crazy on picking Illinois to win the Leaders division?

Not really. I mean, Wisky is loaded but I still dont trust them with all this expectations this season

Gotta feel bad for the kids who signed in the spring with UNC. Led to believe that everything would be sweet and now they don't even have a coach a month before the season.
Anyone know what the NCAA rules are for something like that? Kids who probably were in summer school but looking for a release before the season. I guess first UNC would have to grant them the release then what?

And are there any more details? My guess was that it had something to do with Butch's bat phone records and that leading to more NCAA issues, it came down to his job or bigger sanctions. Who the ++#+ knows with the NCAA anymore though.

Gotta feel bad for the kids who signed in the spring with UNC. Led to believe that everything would be sweet and now they don't even have a coach a month before the season.
Anyone know what the NCAA rules are for something like that? Kids who probably were in summer school but looking for a release before the season. I guess first UNC would have to grant them the release then what?

And are there any more details? My guess was that it had something to do with Butch's bat phone records and that leading to more NCAA issues, it came down to his job or bigger sanctions. Who the ++#+ knows with the NCAA anymore though.

Seems like the "MO" nowadays is to throw the coach under the bus and hope the NCAA Infractions Committee shows some mercy, it's the new blueprint... 
laugh.gif

Jim Tressell got railroaded by Ohio State, I'm sure UNC felt they couldn't just pin everything on Blake so they are probably going to go the "Davis/Blake were rogue coaches and acted on their own", please take mercy.

Looks like Oregon is taking the same stance we did by keeping Chip Kelly, don't know which route Auburn will take once that story breaks in August (supposedly them?).

Hey, we got hammered, at least we took it standing up and not in our knees like OSU and UNC.

Seems like the "MO" nowadays is to throw the coach under the bus and hope the NCAA Infractions Committee shows some mercy, it's the new blueprint... 
laugh.gif

Jim Tressell got railroaded by Ohio State, I'm sure UNC felt they couldn't just pin everything on Blake so they are probably going to go the "Davis/Blake were rogue coaches and acted on their own", please take mercy.

Looks like Oregon is taking the same stance we did by keeping Chip Kelly, don't know which route Auburn will take once that story breaks in August (supposedly them?).

Hey, we got hammered, at least we took it standing up and not in our knees like OSU and UNC.

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

If they signed a LOI then they can't get out of that, they have to transfer and sit out at least a year. The exception to this was USC when the sanctions were handed down, but that was only juniors and seniors. Seantrel was able to go to Miami because he didn't sign a LOI and committed well after signing day. As it is now the NCAA isn't gonna be making a ruling on UNC til october or november, so I don't think that would apply here. Here's a summary of what some recruits were told. This is compiled by a VT writer but the quotes are from Rivals and local papers:

Spoiler [+]
4-STAR LINEBACKER TRAVIS HUGHES
(Virginia Beach beach star for whom VT coordinator Bud Foster skipped a head-coaching interview at Vandy to make in-home visit.)

From a Virginian-Pilot story in December, when he picked UNC:

“I have such a great bond with Butch Davis. He called me every week. And I talked to him more than any other coach.

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

If they signed a LOI then they can't get out of that, they have to transfer and sit out at least a year. The exception to this was USC when the sanctions were handed down, but that was only juniors and seniors. Seantrel was able to go to Miami because he didn't sign a LOI and committed well after signing day. As it is now the NCAA isn't gonna be making a ruling on UNC til october or november, so I don't think that would apply here. Here's a summary of what some recruits were told. This is compiled by a VT writer but the quotes are from Rivals and local papers:

Spoiler [+]
4-STAR LINEBACKER TRAVIS HUGHES
(Virginia Beach beach star for whom VT coordinator Bud Foster skipped a head-coaching interview at Vandy to make in-home visit.)

From a Virginian-Pilot story in December, when he picked UNC:

“I have such a great bond with Butch Davis. He called me every week. And I talked to him more than any other coach.

Originally Posted by bamaboy256

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Eddie Lacey is out with a torn Pec.
link?
I just read he will POSSIBLY be out 2 to 4 weeks from now, which means he'll be good by the first game.  There hasn't been an official announcement of the injury yet but seems like its not as bad as Barron's was last year.

Originally Posted by bamaboy256

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Eddie Lacey is out with a torn Pec.
link?
I just read he will POSSIBLY be out 2 to 4 weeks from now, which means he'll be good by the first game.  There hasn't been an official announcement of the injury yet but seems like its not as bad as Barron's was last year.

Pittman and other Davis/Blake related guys on staff will be gone soon as well FWIW. So much for being promoted to Assistant Head Coach
laugh.gif
Baddour will also be gone the "day after they hire the next HC at the latest." Thorpe won't be fired, but that doesn't mean he won't resign or retire. 
EDIT: Also Butch getting canned had more to do with new people on the Board of Trustees taking over who wanted him gone and less to do with any new revelations in the investigation apparently. They are hoping that by cleaning house they will get some brownie points and are hoping to reach compromise sanctions with the NCAA before the hearing actually occurs. While it's very early, at least a few influential people like Randy Shannon to take over next year 2012.

Pittman and other Davis/Blake related guys on staff will be gone soon as well FWIW. So much for being promoted to Assistant Head Coach
laugh.gif
Baddour will also be gone the "day after they hire the next HC at the latest." Thorpe won't be fired, but that doesn't mean he won't resign or retire. 
EDIT: Also Butch getting canned had more to do with new people on the Board of Trustees taking over who wanted him gone and less to do with any new revelations in the investigation apparently. They are hoping that by cleaning house they will get some brownie points and are hoping to reach compromise sanctions with the NCAA before the hearing actually occurs. While it's very early, at least a few influential people like Randy Shannon to take over next year 2012.

Wiscy is good for 9 or 10 wins a year for the most part. They are the best team in the Leaders division until proven otherwise.

As much as I hate Bielema, he is starting to make his mark on that program much like Barry did. Lets hope Bret knocks up a cheerleader as wll.

Wiscy is good for 9 or 10 wins a year for the most part. They are the best team in the Leaders division until proven otherwise.

As much as I hate Bielema, he is starting to make his mark on that program much like Barry did. Lets hope Bret knocks up a cheerleader as wll.

[h2]An Interview with Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne[/h2]

Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne
Spoiler [+]
Texas A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne chatted with me by telephone yesterday. We talked about everything from the Longhorn Network to rumors of a move to the SEC to Kyle Field renovations. Below you’ll find the full interview followed by my thoughts on the most important thing he said.
Q: What are some things A&M can do to compete with Longhorn Network?

A: I’m not concerned about competing with the Longhorn Network. What I am concerned about is fairness. As Athletic Directors [in the Big 12] we agreed that every school could take one football game and choose to put it on PPV or our own network. As far as the high school games, I think that is absolutely against NCAA rules. I think that’s a recruiting advantage. Fairness is what you want you in recruiting.

Q: What about the fact that University of Texas administers high school sports in Texas? Is that an issue?

A: I think that’s a significant issue.

Q: I’m of the opinion that Texas will become an independent in the next five years. What do you think?

A: They have a very good conference. They get special treatment from ESPN, and they have a place for all of their Olympic sports. I don’t agree that they will become independent.

Q: Tim Brando and I discussed on his show the other day the increasing volume of Texas A&M fans who want to move to the SEC. Tim says he’s hearing from a lot of fans who are ready to make the move. Do you feel like fans are becoming more vocal about wanting to move to the SEC?

A: I don’t know the answer to that, because I don’t know who all is talking to him. There was a movement last year by a number of people on the internet that wanted us to leave Big 12 and go to the SEC. Texas A&M didn’t push Humpty Dumpty off the wall, but we did help put the pieces back together again in the Big 12. There’s some angst here about our future, so I’m concerned about that.

Q: At SEC Media Days Commissioner Mike Slive proposed an increase in GPA required for the core high school curriculum required by the NCAA. Several coaches opposed saying they’d rather increase the standards at the college level instead of putting pressure on high schools or denying kids opportunities. What do you think?

A: I’ve been an AD now almost thirty years and I find where the problems arise are on the front end and whether or not they can compete academically on campus. If prospective-student athletes don’t have at least a 1300 SAT or are in the top 10% of their class, they’re not getting into Texas A&M. We’re an elite academic institution like Vanderbilt or Florida in the SEC and our core curriculum requirements are higher than those required by the NCAA.  

Q: You’ve been compared to Louisville AD Tom Jurich because of your commitment to Title IX and Olympic sports and success at marketing/fundraising. Do you agree?

A: Oh yeah. Tom has done an incredible job everywhere he has been. He’s done a remarkable job at Louisville.

Q: Why focus on non-profit-producing sports? What benefits do they bring to the University?

Once someone puts on a Texas A&M uniform, they are your athletes. They are your kids. I treat our athletes as though we’re part of a big family. When I was at Oregon I was introduced at a woman’s volleyball banquet. They talked about how I attended all their games, banquets and other events. When they introduced me they talked about me being like a father to the program. I feel a personal responsibility to those students and their parents.

Q: Obviously Title IX is the reason some sports are on campus….

A: I was very disappointed when Title IX was passed and not funded. It was an unfunded mandate, and I objected to that aspect. I don’t believe in unfunded mandates. Once it was passed, I stand up and salute it. We are going to do the very best we can for all of our athletes. We treat all of our athletes the same. We want to make sure you have a great experience while at Texas A&M and leave with a degree.

Our women’s basketball team won the national championship this year. Their budget is identical to the men’s except the guarantees are less.

Q: Are there any plans to renovate/expand Kyle Field or any other facilities in the near future?

We’re spending 25 million right now to renovate the baseball field. We’ve recently had seven coach’s nights across Texas where renovation plans for Kyle Field have been presented. We’re also getting a new outdoor track. We have the best indoor track facilities in the world – not the country, the world. That’s why we host the NCAA championship every third year. The new outdoor track will be the best in the country and will host Olympic trials. The Regents passed football plans for Kyle Field last week. We’ll start on the one side at the end of the 2012 season and tear it down section by section. We’ll tear down the west side at end of the 2013 season and the second deck following the 2014 season.

Q: Will there be additional seating added during the renovation to Kyle Field?

A: We will not increase size of football stadium. It seats 90,000 now. There’s a good reason for not having an increase – in the sport of football there is declining attendance both in college and NFL and increase in television viewership. We don’t want to overbuild.

Q: I’ve written a lot about colleges selling naming rights on their facilities. How do you feel about naming rights?

The new baseball stadium will have “Blue Bell Park

[h2]An Interview with Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne[/h2]

Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne
Spoiler [+]
Texas A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne chatted with me by telephone yesterday. We talked about everything from the Longhorn Network to rumors of a move to the SEC to Kyle Field renovations. Below you’ll find the full interview followed by my thoughts on the most important thing he said.
Q: What are some things A&M can do to compete with Longhorn Network?

A: I’m not concerned about competing with the Longhorn Network. What I am concerned about is fairness. As Athletic Directors [in the Big 12] we agreed that every school could take one football game and choose to put it on PPV or our own network. As far as the high school games, I think that is absolutely against NCAA rules. I think that’s a recruiting advantage. Fairness is what you want you in recruiting.

Q: What about the fact that University of Texas administers high school sports in Texas? Is that an issue?

A: I think that’s a significant issue.

Q: I’m of the opinion that Texas will become an independent in the next five years. What do you think?

A: They have a very good conference. They get special treatment from ESPN, and they have a place for all of their Olympic sports. I don’t agree that they will become independent.

Q: Tim Brando and I discussed on his show the other day the increasing volume of Texas A&M fans who want to move to the SEC. Tim says he’s hearing from a lot of fans who are ready to make the move. Do you feel like fans are becoming more vocal about wanting to move to the SEC?

A: I don’t know the answer to that, because I don’t know who all is talking to him. There was a movement last year by a number of people on the internet that wanted us to leave Big 12 and go to the SEC. Texas A&M didn’t push Humpty Dumpty off the wall, but we did help put the pieces back together again in the Big 12. There’s some angst here about our future, so I’m concerned about that.

Q: At SEC Media Days Commissioner Mike Slive proposed an increase in GPA required for the core high school curriculum required by the NCAA. Several coaches opposed saying they’d rather increase the standards at the college level instead of putting pressure on high schools or denying kids opportunities. What do you think?

A: I’ve been an AD now almost thirty years and I find where the problems arise are on the front end and whether or not they can compete academically on campus. If prospective-student athletes don’t have at least a 1300 SAT or are in the top 10% of their class, they’re not getting into Texas A&M. We’re an elite academic institution like Vanderbilt or Florida in the SEC and our core curriculum requirements are higher than those required by the NCAA.  

Q: You’ve been compared to Louisville AD Tom Jurich because of your commitment to Title IX and Olympic sports and success at marketing/fundraising. Do you agree?

A: Oh yeah. Tom has done an incredible job everywhere he has been. He’s done a remarkable job at Louisville.

Q: Why focus on non-profit-producing sports? What benefits do they bring to the University?

Once someone puts on a Texas A&M uniform, they are your athletes. They are your kids. I treat our athletes as though we’re part of a big family. When I was at Oregon I was introduced at a woman’s volleyball banquet. They talked about how I attended all their games, banquets and other events. When they introduced me they talked about me being like a father to the program. I feel a personal responsibility to those students and their parents.

Q: Obviously Title IX is the reason some sports are on campus….

A: I was very disappointed when Title IX was passed and not funded. It was an unfunded mandate, and I objected to that aspect. I don’t believe in unfunded mandates. Once it was passed, I stand up and salute it. We are going to do the very best we can for all of our athletes. We treat all of our athletes the same. We want to make sure you have a great experience while at Texas A&M and leave with a degree.

Our women’s basketball team won the national championship this year. Their budget is identical to the men’s except the guarantees are less.

Q: Are there any plans to renovate/expand Kyle Field or any other facilities in the near future?

We’re spending 25 million right now to renovate the baseball field. We’ve recently had seven coach’s nights across Texas where renovation plans for Kyle Field have been presented. We’re also getting a new outdoor track. We have the best indoor track facilities in the world – not the country, the world. That’s why we host the NCAA championship every third year. The new outdoor track will be the best in the country and will host Olympic trials. The Regents passed football plans for Kyle Field last week. We’ll start on the one side at the end of the 2012 season and tear it down section by section. We’ll tear down the west side at end of the 2013 season and the second deck following the 2014 season.

Q: Will there be additional seating added during the renovation to Kyle Field?

A: We will not increase size of football stadium. It seats 90,000 now. There’s a good reason for not having an increase – in the sport of football there is declining attendance both in college and NFL and increase in television viewership. We don’t want to overbuild.

Q: I’ve written a lot about colleges selling naming rights on their facilities. How do you feel about naming rights?

The new baseball stadium will have “Blue Bell Park

Back
Top Bottom