2011 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Some of the stuff they do in the NFL to evaluate players is irrelevant when it comes to playing in the NFL.

I'm sure there is the equivalent of the NFL's Billy Beane wandering in a front office somewhere. Maybe not the same exact thing, but I wouldn't mine to see the lanscape tweaked when it comes to player evaluation. Hell, even just more of an emphasis of actual on the field play.

Just ask Mason Foster.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Obviously your the dumb one who can't read because in the article they were saying how some people care less about the wonderlic and simply mark anything down. Wonderlic scores don't affect anyone's draft status so I don't even know why they still administer it anyway.
If you're saying Pryor didn't even try and just marked anything down then you're only helping my original point that he doesn't care or try.

Some feel if their score really doesn't affect their draft status then why stress? Some agents tell them not to put to much thought into it at all because they know it won't help nor hurt

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Wonderlic is so useless. I think it would be better to have an oral assessment testing football schemes and situations and what have you for quarterbacks. Vary this assessment by position. I'm pretty sure scouts can tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't. Wasn't Matt Ryan super impressive in his team interviews? They should do something like that and have a database of questions to ask. Change it up for every player and see how he thinks on his feet.

I remember Jon Gruden saying that when he interviewed for the Raiders HC position, Al Davis drew theoretical defensive sets on a dry erase board and asked Gruden how he would
attack each set. If teams don't already do this with potential draftees, it would be interesting if they did. Get a better feel for how well a player grasps the conceptual side of playing
their particular position.

AG... I could take a guess....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AG 47

Wonderlic is so useless. I think it would be better to have an oral assessment testing football schemes and situations and what have you for quarterbacks. Vary this assessment by position. I'm pretty sure scouts can tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't. Wasn't Matt Ryan super impressive in his team interviews? They should do something like that and have a database of questions to ask. Change it up for every player and see how he thinks on his feet.

I remember Jon Gruden saying that when he interviewed for the Raiders HC position, Al Davis drew theoretical defensive sets on a dry erase board and asked Gruden how he would
attack each set. If teams don't already do this with potential draftees, it would be interesting if they did. Get a better feel for how well a player grasps the conceptual side of playing

I like that. It definitely could give teams a better grasp on the football minds these guys possesses. Much more usable than the wonderlic, at least.

This actually makes me thing of that scene from The Program when Alvin Mack quickly rattles off his job if the offense lines up in certain formations. Just picture that, but more elaborate.
laugh.gif

Pull off the edge like that guard from Iowa and crack the linebacker.
laugh.gif

I think if Pryor's head is in the right place then he'll be okay.

They do have individual interviews but I was thinking something more standardized. Could call it the NFL *insert position* baseline aptitude test or something similar. NFL could give the players a study guide and all that. Has to be better than the Wonderlic. 

They do have individual interviews but I was thinking something more standardized. Could call it the NFL *insert position* baseline aptitude test or something similar. NFL could give the players a study guide and all that. Has to be better than the Wonderlic. 

How cool would it be if they could place draftees in virtual game situations? You know how you used to be able to create situationals in Madden? What if you before you drafted a QB, you placed them in a virtual booth, similar to something they use for teaching pilots how to fly, where they ran a 2:00 minute drill against an A.I. defense? Like if it was all in the helmet...the visor is the screen and the booth projects infrared beams/lasers (same thing used to track movement in high security rooms) from various angles tracking a players every movement.

I'm thinking maybe the best way to see how well a player performs in a game is to test them under the most game like conditions. Maybe this would be a more accurate predictor than a pencil and paper exam. Of course, the system would have flaws and then "football engineers" would work to keep the system as close to the real thing as possible.

Or maybe I have too much time on my hands.
laugh.gif

^ Nah...I like where you're headed. It's a great concept. Needs to be refined of course, but makes a lot of sense.

Steelers really have a good thing going at WR, Ben could have a great year. Hines, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery? Solid!

http://www.aikman.com/Aikman hints that he might deck Skip Bayless if the two were to meet

Bruce Tomaso, Dallasnews.com

Troy Aikman has a long memory, at least when it comes to Skip Bayless.

Bayless, a former Dallas sports columnist, wrote a book about the Dallas Cowboys that was published in 1996, when Aikman was the team's star quarterback. In the book, Bayless famously speculated -- without providing a shred of evidence -- that Aikman might be gay.

This week, Aikman was asked about the episode on BaD Radio, the afternoon talk show on The Ticket (1310 AM).

After saying -- rather gratuitously -- "I'm not so sure Skip's not gay," Aikman made it clear that he still bears a grudge.

"When a guy like that comes out and, whether it's intimated or stated, and there's no substance to that claim, and he's doing it purely to gain interest in a book, that's a problem.," he said.

Aikman then added:

"I will tell you this. I've not seen -- I've not physically seen Skip Bayless since that time. That was in '95. And I still kind of wonder what I might do to him when I do see him."

Dan McDowell, the co-host of BaD Radio, pressed him on the point.

"You certainly will say something," McDowell said.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah," Aikman replied.

"But you don't think it will get physical, do you?" McDowell said.

"Well, I mean, I don't know. I don't know," Aikman said.

Bayless is now a commentator for ESPN.

please do it troy, pleaseeeee

you are already on my top 10 QBs ever list.. but you will go up on that list if you beat skip to a bloody pulp

Chris Johnson finally got paid.

4yrs $53 million, $30 million guaranteed.

Why would Aikman wanna deck Skip? Skip verbally gives massive fellatio to the Cowboys every day.

The Bucs aren't winning more than 8 games this season. Our offensive line and backup RB's might be the worst in the entire league. We had all the money in the world to improve these positions in the offseason too. That line is going to get Freeman and Blount @**$!% up by the end of the season.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

The Bucs aren't winning more than 8 games this season. Our offensive line and backup RB's might be the worst in the entire league. We had all the money in the world to improve these positions in the offseason too. That line is going to get Freeman and Blount @**$!% up by the end of the season.

laugh.gif
 back tracking early i see huh.

welp at less we know whos coming in last this year.

The Panthers seriously might win more games than us this year.

The first game of the season against the Lions will tell me everything I need to know about this season.

Back
Top Bottom