2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

Was reading Rafael's recap and I dont get what his problem is. Just because calling such fouls isnt the norm, the ref shouldnt do it? Peterson was clearly trying to take the fight inside and Kahn was ILLEGALLY pushing him off every chance he could. The ref repeatedly asked him to stop pushing but he didnt but the ref is at fault?

Was reading Rafael's recap and I dont get what his problem is. Just because calling such fouls isnt the norm, the ref shouldnt do it? Peterson was clearly trying to take the fight inside and Kahn was ILLEGALLY pushing him off every chance he could. The ref repeatedly asked him to stop pushing but he didnt but the ref is at fault?

Totally agree Frost

I don't see what "other fighters do" in other fights have to do with this fight.

HBO's whole theory was "the ref never gave a ultimate warning"

Well, he actually did.
And he Let a good 20 slide.

Wanna get your opponent off your chest, throw more than pitty pat punches and learn how to properly escape.

Totally agree Frost

I don't see what "other fighters do" in other fights have to do with this fight.

HBO's whole theory was "the ref never gave a ultimate warning"

Well, he actually did.
And he Let a good 20 slide.

Wanna get your opponent off your chest, throw more than pitty pat punches and learn how to properly escape.

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

So much for that HBO theory

The ref clearly said "Last warning for pushing"

That was A LOT of pushing, and about half of them had a forearm/elbow.

30t6p3b.gif
HBO broadcasts always have such an agenda
sick.gif

To play devil's advocate, plenty of boxers push throughout their fights. I just feel like the ref was specifically calling out Khan for pushing/headlock every chance he got, I just didn't like how he reffed the whole fight.
But just look at the way Khan was pushing tho...
And to add to that, pushing is TECHNICALLY illegal in the rules.

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

To play devil's advocate, plenty of boxers push throughout their fights. I just feel like the ref was specifically calling out Khan for pushing/headlock every chance he got, I just didn't like how he reffed the whole fight.
But just look at the way Khan was pushing tho...
And to add to that, pushing is TECHNICALLY illegal in the rules.

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

Plenty boxers do, when the refs allow it. However, if you realize the ref isn't going to allow it, then it's on you to adjust.

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

Plenty boxers do, when the refs allow it. However, if you realize the ref isn't going to allow it, then it's on you to adjust.

boxers push all the time but amir was doing it the whole fight... it was pretty obvious and blatant... looked OD imo

boxers push all the time but amir was doing it the whole fight... it was pretty obvious and blatant... looked OD imo

What are ya'll thoughts on Mitchell? My homegirl stay hyping him up bc that's her father's boxer. What I saw Sat, his hands are nasty. but I don't know much about him

Showtime analysts handicap Super Six final.

Spoiler [+]
When super middleweight titleholders Andre Ward and Carl Froch meet in the final of the Super Six World Boxing Classic on Saturday night (Showtime, 9 ET/PT) at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., it will bring the curtain down on the groundbreaking two-year tournament, whose mission was to crown the No. 1 168-pounder in the world.

Without the backing of Showtime, whose former boxing chief Ken Hershman created the tournament -- but who won't be around to see the final, as he left the network in mid-October to join rival HBO next month -- the Super Six would not have happened. Showtime's broadcasters have had a chance to watch the tournament bouts up close from ringside. Here are their thoughts on the final:

Al Bernstein (analyst): "Andre Ward is the consummate boxer-puncher. We thought Mikkel Kessler was the most skilled fighter in the tournament, and Andre dominated him. In this match, Ward must bring the kind of ring generalship that allowed Andre Dirrell to do well against Froch -- even in losing. The Ward jab needs to be established early and he must punch in combination, while mixing in just enough lateral movement.

"Carl Froch is a much more nuanced fighter than we expected to see in this tournament. He is a better pure boxer than he's given credit for being. He showed that in wins over Arthur Abraham and Glen Johnson. He also has an iron chin. Ward will not attack him like Johnson and Abraham, so Froch will need to push the pace more. He, too, must establish the jab early and then land his right hand behind it. He has not used his excellent uppercut as much in the Super Six; this would be a good time to bring it out of mothballs."

[h4]Topics: Andre Ward-Carl Froch[/h4]
box_ward_froch1x_134.jpg
For more on the Ward-Froch Super 6 final, check out our topics page.
Antonio Tarver (analyst and former light heavyweight champion): "The key for Andre Ward is to stay within himself, keep boxing and keep winning the rounds. I think there is a lot of pressure on him to do something exciting, to do something great, but he can't play into that hype. He must stay disciplined. I think that's the key word when I look at what he needs for this battle: discipline. For Froch, he's going to have to cut the ring off. He's going to have to limit Andre Ward's movement. Carl is going to have to press him, and I think he's going to have to be the aggressor. He needs to make it a fight instead of a boxing match. Froch will have to corner Ward and make him fight with his back against the ropes. And if he can do that and sustain that kind of attack, press him mentally and physically, Froch will give Ward the hardest fight he's ever had. If anybody gets knocked out in this fight, I see Froch catching Ward.

"I really feel like the winner of this fight will write his own ticket as to what he'd like to do in the near future, so there is a lot at stake. I'm looking forward to it. We could be looking at the fighter of the year. When you look at what they've gone through, you've got to put Ward or Froch in the category for fighter of the year if one man can win convincingly."

Gus Johnson (blow-by-blow announcer): "We're witnessing two fighters who haven't reached their peak yet. This fight is going to go a long way in determining what path they take. The winner has the opportunity to launch into superstardom at 168. The winner will have the chance to potentially become a household name moving forward.

"These two men are meeting each other at the right time. They're young. They're strong. They're hungry, humble and -- maybe most importantly -- they really want to test themselves. It's tailor made. Ward-Froch will be cataclysmic."

Jim Gray (ringside reporter): "The key for Ward will be to be patient. He needs to fight at his pace and not be lured in by Froch to brawl. He must also know that Froch has a great chin, and not be frustrated that Froch may not budge with his best shots. The key for Froch would be to somehow be able to get Ward to brawl, to get him into wild exchanges and catch him. Froch is tough and he has the ability to take fighters out of their plan and create opportunities."

And here are predictions from a couple of familiar faces: Johnson, who was eliminated by Froch in the semifinals, and titleholder Lucian Bute, who wasn't invited to participate in the tournament but now is under contract with Showtime and who ideally will face the tournament winner:

Johnson: "It's a close fight, I guess. I will have to go with the American kid [Ward] because the fight is in America and I would assume that he would get the benefit of the doubt."

Bute: "I think it's going to be a nice, spectacular fight. I think it's going to be a close fight. The question is how Andre Ward will cope with the strength and the power of Carl Froch. If he's able to handle it, I think he's got the ability and the boxing movement and I'd go with him. But let's see first how he will react when he gets hit by Carl Froch."

Weekend wrap-up.

Spoiler [+]
[h4]Saturday at Washington, D.C.[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Lamont Peterson W12 Amir Khan​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Wins unified junior welterweight title
Scores: 113-112 (twice) Peterson, 115-110 Khan
Records: Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KOs); Khan (26-2, 18 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Two things stand out about this significant fight: It was a terrific, action-packed bout that deserves mention on the list of the best fights of 2011. The other was that referee Joe Cooper single-handedly marred the outcome because of his ticky-tack, almost unheard-of foul calls for pushing against Khan, which cost him a point in the seventh round and another -- incredibly -- in the 12th round of a tight fight. You can go through the annals of boxing history and good luck finding a point deduction for pushing, much less two in such a significant fight. Take nothing away from Peterson, the 27-year-old longtime contender fighting in front of a vocal hometown crowd of 8,647. He fought his heart out and put on the best performance of his career. But -- and it's a huge but -- had Cooper -- who is also from Washington and seemed to be doing his own home cooking in Peterson's favor against England's Khan -- not deducted the points, Khan would (and should) still have his titles. You never, ever want to see a referee decide the outcome of a fight, especially with rulings that are so outside the normal way of officiating.

Did Khan push? Yes, but Cooper never firmly told him he was going to take a point if he continued, as is the norm for a referee doling out foul warnings. And it's not like the little shoves were hampering Peterson, who did not seem to have a problem with the tactic while he spent the entire fight leading with his head, which is also illegal. Cooper's deductions were by the letter of the law, but he didn't take any from Peterson for charging with his head. Taking one point from Khan might have been acceptable. But two? Seriously? It was like a cop giving a speeding ticket to a driver going 57 in a 55 zone. Cooper also did a poor job in the first round when he ruled a knockdown against Peterson, which was quite questionable. It was more of a slip or trip, but not an authentic knockdown. He just had a terrible night. A more experienced and neutral referee should have been appointed, because Cooper wrecked an otherwise fantastic fight with his actions.

Khan, who turned 25 just a few days before the fight, had made the unusual move of agreeing to come to Peterson's hometown to make his sixth title defense. Khan dares to be great, and this was not the first time he had gone into the lion's den of an opponent's hometown, but it might be the last after how poorly he was treated by Cooper. But Khan has nothing to be ashamed of because he made another great fight almost one year to the day that he won the 2010 Boxing Writers Association fight of the year against Marcos Maidana in another terrific brawl.

Khan and Peterson swapped punches throughout the very fast-paced fight. Early on, it looked like Khan would dominate, but when Peterson -- who had lost a lopsided decision to Timothy Bradley Jr. in 2009 in his only previous title shot -- decided to abandon his usual slick style and make it more of a brawl, he was able to change the flow of the fight, the first major one in Washington since Mike Tyson's career finale in 2005, and the first HBO card in the nation's capital since a 1993 card featuring a Riddick Bowe title defense with the first Roy Jones Jr.-Bernard Hopkins fight on the undercard.

With the disputed outcome of such a terrific fight, the sides were immediately talking rematch afterward. It is likely to happen, as it is the biggest money fight for both fighters and it's a match HBO has already said it is interested in. That means Khan will put off his anticipated move up to welterweight as he tries to settle the score with Peterson, who said he was willing to go to England for the rematch if the deal is appropriate. Wherever the fight takes place, there just need to be neutral officials all the way around so a great fight is not ruined by a referee who seemed to bend over backwards to help out the hometown guy.
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]
Seth Mitchell TKO2 Timur Ibragimov​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Records: Mitchell (24-0-1, 18 KOs); Ibragimov (30-4-1, 16 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: American heavyweight contenders are few and far between, but maybe, just maybe, we have found one in Mitchell, who turned in a terrific performance against the best opponent of his career. And he picked a great time to do it -- in his HBO debut with the boxing world paying close attention. Mitchell, 29, of Brandywine, Md., has come a long way in his three-year pro career after just 10 amateur fights. The former Michigan State linebacker didn't take up boxing until his 20s after a knee injury killed his dreams of a pro football career. But at 6-foot-2, 240 pounds of steel, he is a tremendous athlete with power and speed who looks like a natural in the ring.

After a competitive first round, in which Mitchell took a few decent shots (he needs to keep his hands higher or he's going to be in trouble against a puncher), he clobbered Ibragimov, 36, a 1996 Olympian from Uzbekistan, in the second round. The experienced Ibragimov is known for having a good chin. He had never been knocked down or stopped even though he had lost his most significant fights, to Calvin Brock, Tony Thompson and a questionable split decision to Jean-Marc Mormeck. But Mitchell unloaded on him in exciting fashion that ought to keep the buzz around him going. In the second round, Mitchell landed 23 of 46 power shots, closing the show with five brutal overhand rights to the head with a solid left hook mixed in. Ibragimov, who was backed into a corner, was hurt and not firing back when referee Malik Waleed stopped it at 2 minutes, 48 seconds. Mitchell just needs to stay busy, raise the level of competition a bit more and keep working hard, and he has a chance to be a serious contender. His team hopes to have him back in the ring in March, which is likely, given that he has powerful promoter Golden Boy and adviser Al Haymon behind him.
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]
Anthony Peterson W8 Daniel Attah​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Lightweight
Scores: 80-72 (three times)
Records: Peterson (31-1, 20 KOs); Attah (28-9-1, 9 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Peterson, the 26-year-old younger brother of new junior welterweight champ Lamont Peterson, was a rising lightweight contender and favored to defeat Brandon Rios in their September 2010 title elimination bout. But Peterson self-destructed. Not only was he losing widely and had been knocked down, but he continued to fire low blows even after multiple warnings, as though he wanted to find a way out of the fight. Eventually, he was disqualified for repeated low blows in the seventh round. While Rios went on to win a title and gain wide acclaim as one of boxing's most exciting fighters, Peterson disappeared. Finally returning on his brother's undercard in front of their hometown crowd, Peterson was matched with an experienced journeyman in Attah and did what he was supposed to do: dominate. Peterson won every round with ease for the shutout against the former junior lightweight title challenger. If Peterson was worried about body punching because of the Rios fight, it sure didn't seem that way. He crushed Attah to the body to slow him down almost immediately and continued to fire downstairs -- legally -- throughout the fight. Of course, he also mixed in head shots and used both hands to cruise. This was a solid performance after such a long layoff, and there's no reason he can't be back in the title shot hunt in 2012. Attah, a native of Nigeria based in Washington, has lost two fights in a row and is 2-6 in his last eight bouts.
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]
Fernando Guerrero TKO5 Robert Kliewer​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Records: Guerrero (22-1, 17 KOs); Kliewer (11-14-2, 5 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Guerrero, 25, was one of the fastest-rising middleweight prospects in boxing before running into veteran spoiler Grady Brewer in June. Although heavily favored, Guerrero, who had a top-notch amateur career and had looked impressive as a pro, was shockingly stopped in the fourth round of a fight for which he dropped down to junior middleweight. Whether he was weight-drained or not, it was a bad, bad loss. Returning six months later and trying to regroup, Guerrero, a popular draw in his hometown of Salisbury, Md., was matched very softly by Golden Boy against Kliewer, 24, of Saint Paul, Minn. Kliewer showed heart and not much else. He took a massive pounding from Guerrero, who dropped him in the fourth round and twice more in the fifth before referee Kenny Chevalier mercifully stopped it at 45 seconds of the fifth round without counting after Kliewer had gone down on the end of a left hand. Back in the win column and perhaps with his confidence a bit restored, Guerrero remains a prospect to watch. Kliewer, meanwhile, dropped to 2-10 in his last 12 fights.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Saturday at Atlanta[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Roy Jones Jr. W10 Max Alexander​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Cruiserweight
Scores: 100-90 (twice), 99-91
Records: Jones Jr. (55-8, 40 KOs); Alexander (14-6-2, 2 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: That this fight even took place is utterly depressing. What's worse is that Jones, the once-great pound-for-pound king, probably thinks that beating Alexander means something and that he should rightfully continue with his career. Jones was, of course, untouchable for a decade as the peerless No. 1 fighter in the sport and a four-division titleholder. Now, he is a shell of himself. But that hasn't kept the Pensacola, Fla., native -- who turns 43 next month -- from having delusions of grandeur. Now he wants to win a cruiserweight title.

Jones, who fights because he is in financial difficulty after making tens of millions of dollars (maybe $100 million), came into the fight having suffered three consecutive losses far removed from his prime. Australia's Danny Green waxed him in one round in December 2009. Bernard Hopkins routed him in an ugly one-sided rematch in April 2010. And in May, Jones went to Russia and suffered a monstrous 10th-round knockout to Denis Lebedev, who knocked him cold in a scary scene. But the stubborn Jones decided to fight again, and Georgia officials unfortunately licensed him. He easily outboxed Alexander for the 10 lopsided rounds, but that is not saying much. In his day, Jones would have drilled Alexander inside a round, maybe two. This was like a monotonous sparring session with very little action (except briefly in the eighth round), no knockdowns and no reason for happening. But some promoter pathetically attempted to sell it as an Internet pay-per-view and did not bother to do basic publicity. Perhaps the public should be thankful. Jones actually skipped an HBO broadcasting assignment (and the payday) for this.

Alexander, 30, of Camden, N.J., dropped to 0-6-1 in his last seven bouts dating to his stint in the 2007 edition of "The Contender" reality series. It was his first fight in 26 months, and it showed.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Saturday at Manila, Philippines[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Brian Viloria TKO8 Giovani Segura​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Flyweight
Retains a flyweight title
Records: Viloria (30-3, 17 KOs); Segura (28-2-1, 24 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: On paper, Viloria-Segura was about as good as it gets in terms of a possible action fight with two of boxing's best little guys. As it turned out, Viloria, 31, more or less dominated in one of the best performances of his career. Viloria, a two-time junior flyweight titlist and 2000 U.S. Olympian from Hawaii, looked like he might be at the end of the line in January 2010 when he lost his 108-pound belt via a very rough 12th-round knockout to Carlos Tamara in the Philippines, where Viloria, a Filipino-American, has gained popularity in recent years. But he rebounded from the defeat. He moved up in weight, won two in a row and then challenged flyweight titlist Julio Cesar Miranda in July. Viloria won a unanimous decision and was making his first defense against mandatory challenger Segura, the former junior flyweight champion who was moving up in weight and used to serve as one of Viloria's sparring partners earlier in his career.

As physical and powerful as Segura, 29, of Mexico, is, he is nowhere near as complete a fighter as Viloria. Segura throws wild haymakers and lunges with almost every shot, while Viloria is much more compact with his punches. The difference in skill was evident. While Segura went for the home run time and again, Viloria was more patient and quite accurate with his left hook in a pretty good one-sided action fight. In the second round, he landed one of the hooks to Segura's face. It began to develop swelling near the temple area around his right eye. It grew larger and larger as the fight wore on, eventually looking just horrible. It was similar to the memorable hematoma that Hasim Rahman developed in his fight with Evander Holyfield.

Viloria had some swelling around his left eye, but he could see. Segura's vision was severely impaired in his right eye because of the massive swelling, and when Viloria landed a left hand on it that he never saw, referee Samuel Viruet stopped the bout 32 seconds into the eighth round to give Viloria perhaps the best victory of his career. Segura, who continues to have disgraced trainer Javier Capetillo -- he of Antonio Margarito hand-wrap scandal infamy -- in his corner (he is banned in the United States), went to the hospital for observation and to have his swollen eye treated.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Saturday at Montreal[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Joachim Alcine W12 David Lemieux​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Scores: 116-112 (twice), 114-114
Records: Alcine (33-2-1, 19 KOs); Lemieux (25-2, 24 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Alcine and Lemieux were both in dire need of a win in this showdown between Montreal fighters. Alcine is the 35-year-old former junior middleweight titlist whose career has been in freefall since suffering a first-round knockout by Alfredo Angulo in July 2010 followed by a 13-month layoff and a pathetic draw against journeyman Jose Medina in August. Lemieux, 22, was supposed to be Montreal's next big star. Blessed with charisma and massive power, he was one of boxing's fastest-rising prospects when he met battle-tested former title challenger Marco Antonio Rubio in April. Lemieux dominated most of the fight, but Rubio survived the onslaught and rallied for an improbable seventh-round knockout.

The loss really messed with Lemieux, who parted ways with lifelong trainer Russ Anber and began working with Marc Ramsay, another of Canada's top trainers (and Anber's close friend). Alcine was viewed as the perfect comeback opponent for Lemieux -- an older fighter seemingly at the end of his career who was a smaller man with a very questionable chin and moving up in weight. Still, the fight was meaningful in Montreal. But so much for the best-laid plans. Alcine showed a lot of spirit and wasn't the dead man many believed he was. As usual, Lemieux came out fast and was catching Alcine in the first round. He had him pinned on the ropes and fired numerous shots, but Alcine weathered the storm. Lemieux expended a lot of energy in the first half of the fight trying to get rid of Alcine, but the veteran hung in there and began to come back in the second half of what was a pretty good fight. He appeared to dominate Lemieux in the final few rounds. The 116-112 scores for Alcine seemed a bit wide. Frankly, it could have gone either way or even been a draw. But the fact that Lemieux, even if you think he won, struggled the way he did with Alcine is not a good sign for a future not nearly as bright as it once was.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Saturday at Los Mochis, Mexico[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Juan Carlos Salgado No contest 2 Miguel Beltran Jr.​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior lightweight
Retains a junior lightweight title
Records: Salgado (24-1-1, 16 KOs); Beltran Jr. (26-1, 17 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In September, Salgado, 26, of Mexico, claimed a vacant 130-pound belt when he outpointed Argenis Mendez in Mexico on a questionable decision. Making the first defense of his second title reign, Salgado met untested countryman Beltran, 22, in Beltran's hometown. The fight was over before it could really heat up. An accidental head butt in the second round left Salgado with a cut over his left eye, and referee Tony Weeks, on the advice of the ringside physician, called off the bout. Perhaps there will be a rematch. Beltran had entered the fight on a four-bout winning streak. Salgado at least retained the title, which was more than he could do in the first defense of his first title reign. He won a belt for the first time in a big upset in October 2009 when he knocked out Jorge Linares in the first round, but lost it three months later when he was stopped in the 12th round by Takashi Uchiyama in Japan.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Friday at Düsseldorf, Germany[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Gennady Golovkin KO1 Lajuan Simon​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Retains a middleweight title
Records: Golovkin (22-0, 19 KOs); Simon (23-4-2, 12 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Golovkin and Simon were supposed to fight Saturday in front of a crowd of more than 40,000 at a soccer stadium in Düsseldorf in the co-feature of heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko's title defense against Jean-Marc Mormeck, but when Klitschko's kidney stone attack forced the fight to be postponed, promoter K2 moved the bout, and other undercard fights, up one day to Friday and relocated the show to a hotel ballroom in the city. Regardless of when or where the fight was, Golovkin was impressive. He crushed Simon, who had never previously been stopped. Golovkin, 29, a native of Kazakhstan based in Germany, became the first, as he defended his paper title for the third time. He ended the fight with one punch, a cracking left hook dead on the chin. Simon went down. His legs were twitching and he had no prayer to continue as referee Jose Ignacio Martinez called it off at 2 minutes, 17 seconds. Simon, 32, of Philadelphia, dropped his second fight in a row and is 2-4 in his last six, including decision losses in Germany to two of the country's most notable middleweights at the time they fought: Arthur Abraham in a world title bout and Sebastian Sylvester. It would be nice to see Golovkin, a 2004 Olympic silver medalist, step up his level of competition and perhaps come to the United States to enter the mix of what could be an interesting division if the top fighters would face each other.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Friday at Kissimmee, Fla.[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Glen Donaire TKO8 Alex "El Nene" Sanchez​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Flyweight
Records: Donaire (18-4-1, 10 KOs); Sanchez (31-8-1, 21 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Sanchez, 38, of Puerto Rico, was once one of the top strawweights in boxing, holding a world title from 1993-97. He did not fight from mid-2005 until returning to be knocked out by former junior flyweight titlist Nelson Dieppa in February 2008. Making another comeback, Sanchez headlined on Telemundo. He was supposed to face former strawweight titlist Eric Ortiz, but he withdrew with an injury four days before the fight. His replacement was Donaire, the 32-year-old older brother of pound-for-pound star Nonito Donaire. Like Sanchez, Donaire was fighting for the first time since 2008, when he lost a shutout decision to Ulises Solis challenging for a junior flyweight title. Donaire dominated the older, slower and smaller Sanchez. In the action-packed second round, Donaire scored two knockdowns. First, he was credited with one when Sanchez touched his glove to the canvas in the middle of a furious exchange. He went down again seconds before the round ended under a hail of punches. Donaire steadily dished out punishment until Sanchez retired on his stool after the eighth round with an apparent left hand or wrist injury.
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]
Luis Franco TKO2 Leopoldo Gonzalez​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Featherweight
Records: Franco (11-0, 7 KOs); Gonzalez (11-5-1, 7 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Franco, a 2004 Cuban Olympian who defected and turned pro in 2009, had a chance to face 2008 U.S. Olympian Gary Russell Jr. on HBO but turned it down. Instead, he accepted a title eliminator against Mexico's Eduardo Escobedo. The fight was scheduled to take place in Mexico on the same night as this fight with Gonzalez. However, when the site in Mexico was switched, Franco withdrew from the bout and his handlers lined up for this stay-busy fight of far less significance. He blew out his overmatched opponent. Franco staggered Gonzalez in the second round and opened a cut over his left eye. When he continued hammering Gonzalez, his corner threw in the towel, and the fight was called off at 1 minute, 29 seconds. While Franco looks like a future titleholder with his speed and skills, Gonzalez, 28, of Mexico, had no prayer in this fight and dropped to 0-5-1 in his last six bouts.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Friday at Junin, Argentina[/h4]
[table][tr][th=""]
Lucas Matthysse KO4 Sergio Omar Priotti​
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Records: Matthysse (29-2, 27 KOs); Priotti (25-11-1, 8 KOs)​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In June, Matthysse lost a disputed split decision to Devon Alexander in his hometown of St. Louis on HBO. His only other defeat was in his previous fight in the United States, a split decision to Zab Judah on Judah's turf in Newark, N.J., in November 2010. Matthysse, 29, of Argentina, was supposed to come again to the U.S. to face Erik Morales for a vacant 140-pound belt in September on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Victor Ortiz HBO PPV undercard, but he came down with a viral infection and withdrew from the fight. Morales went on to defeat late substitute Pablo Cesar Cano to claim the belt, and now the heavy-handed Matthysse would like a shot at it, after knocking out countryman Priotti at 27 seconds of the fourth round. Priotti dropped to 3-5 in his last eight fights.
[/td][/tr][/table]

Some news:

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
Breaking: California commission overturns Hopkins-Dawson to a no contest. #boxing @espn @sportscenter
danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
Just spoke to both @THEREALBHOP and @OfficialBadChad about the decision. Dawson wants a rematch, Hopkins not interested. #boxing

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Just watched this fight and khan won this fight easy,son was robbed.

If you were betting on this fight you can clearly tell it was fixed. The Khan by decision line jumped from +140 to +180, they were just begging people to take it.

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Just watched this fight and khan won this fight easy,son was robbed.

If you were betting on this fight you can clearly tell it was fixed. The Khan by decision line jumped from +140 to +180, they were just begging people to take it.

Back
Top Bottom