2011 Smell Good Thread. Vol:Smellin' good for the ladies.

In some instances, you can smell better than a guy rocking $100 designer cologne by rocking something cheap ($40 or less.)

It all depends. Not every guy wants to spend top dollar on a fragrance. But then some guys will actually spend a ton of money on a fragrance to get that distinct smell.

If good designer colognes can be found at a discounted price, even if its just 15%, that's even better.

Anybody buying cologne for more than $40 or $50 for 3.4's is getting straight ripped. 

I hate when people make blanket statements like this. Cologne, like any other line of products, has its high and low end products. To say the high end is not worth it, is your opinion, not fact. I have designer and niche fragrances and understand the value of both.

Also, even with designer fragrances, certain brands you will not be able to buy for 40-50 a bottle. Brands such as Chanel, Hermes, Cartier, you will be paying top dollar though they are not niche. If you do pay less you are probably buying a fake on ebay.

Tobacco Vanille
Grey Vetiver
Aventus
For real.

Hmmmm that's tough, especially Aventus. I've never had my nose to Grey vetiver.

If these fragrances are out of your budget you might want to consider buying decants of these fragrances, ie, splitting a bottle with others.

Hmmmm that's tough, especially Aventus. I've never had my nose to Grey vetiver.
If these fragrances are out of your budget you might want to consider buying decants of these fragrances, ie, splitting a bottle with others.

None have replicas because they are naturally made and can't be duped

That's why that dudes statement is non sense

Low end designer fragrances are all chemicals made in larges batches where more pricey niche fragrances are natural and watched closely in the batch process

Think of it as Dogfish Head brewery compared to Budweiser

^Agreed. And I happen to like Budweiser and Dogfish. Just appreciate the difference and use for both.

None have replicas because they are naturally made and can't be duped
That's why that dudes statement is non sense
Low end designer fragrances are all chemicals made in larges batches where more pricey niche fragrances are natural and watched closely in the batch process
Think of it as Dogfish Head brewery compared to Budweiser
Dogfishead and Bud is a poor comparison again. Just like VW v Audi. 

People who buy Bud, do so to get drunk. You buy premium beer to enjoy as a beverage. No one's out there knocking back a 12 pack of Dogfishhead in a few hours. Virtually all people use fragrances for the same reason; to smell good around others. 

Think of Sushi. There's moderately priced Sushi and then there's pay out of your *** Sushi. The expensive Sushi is probably very good indeed but at the end of the day, the vast majority of people do not have palates that can truly appreciate the subtle differences.  Same goes with fragrances. 

IF the fragrances of the high end houses  could be emulated 100% then they obviously would be out of business. On the other hand, in relative terms, some of the prices are insane because the quality and complexity of their fragrances is irrelevant past a certain point. 

Take Ford's TV. It's a great fragrance but at $200-275 a pop it's laughable. Look at Eau des Baux by L'Occitane at $40 (great quality by anyone's standards) and while it's not a 100% match it's similar enough to where TV at $275 doesn't make much sense. 

Last edited:
^ I'll have to agree and disagree with some of those statements. Again, blanket statements are always wrong. I don't drink bud to get drunk, or any beer to get drunk for that matter. I'll opt for bud because I do enjoy the taste as well as its cheaper price. I understand its value for myself personally. Yet, I'll also drink Dogfish or other premium brands, again understanding I am paying a higher price for something of 'higher complexity' so to speak, when I could have just bought the bud. Again, I can understand its value.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]IF the fragrances of the high end houses  could be emulated 100% then they obviously would be out of business. On the other hand, in relative terms, some of the prices are insane because the quality and complexity of their fragrances is irrelevant past a certain point. [/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)][/color]

Prices are higher on niche products due to the quality and complexity of their fragrances, as WELL as the specific smaller customer base they are catering to.You are correct in saying the masses wear colognes/perfumes just to smell good around others. But it's also just as generic as saying we all drive cars to go from point A to point B, which is also true. Saying fragrances can only go to a certain point until its irrelevant is complete nonsense in my book. Options and diversity, and what people will pay to be different cannot be measured.

I have never smelled the cologne you listed being similar to TV, and I wouldn't doubt it. But as you mentioned, it is not 100% the same and it can't be. And for the masses, yes it will be 'good enough.' But like Katt Williams said, everyone pushes that 300C around because it looks like a Bentley, that is, until a real Bentley comes around. 

Yuppie college kids don't count. 
laugh.gif

Anyone drinking premium beer to get drunk is a moron. 

Last edited:
^ I'll have to agree and disagree with some of those statements. Again, blanket statements are always wrong. I don't drink bud to get drunk, or any beer to get drunk for that matter. I'll opt for bud because I do enjoy the taste as well as its cheaper price. I understand its value for myself personally. Yet, I'll also drink Dogfish or other premium brands, again understanding I am paying a higher price for something of 'higher complexity' so to speak, when I could have just bought the bud. Again, I can understand its value.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]IF the fragrances of the high end houses  could be emulated 100% then they obviously would be out of business. On the other hand, in relative terms, some of the prices are insane because the quality and complexity of their fragrances is irrelevant past a certain point. [/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)][/color]

Prices are higher on niche products due to the quality and complexity of their fragrances, as WELL as the specific smaller customer base they are catering to.You are correct in saying the masses wear colognes/perfumes just to smell good around others. But it's also just as generic as saying we all drive cars to go from point A to point B, which is also true. Saying fragrances can only go to a certain point until its irrelevant is complete nonsense in my book. Options and diversity, and what people will pay to be different cannot be measured.

I have never smelled the cologne you listed being similar to TV, and I wouldn't doubt it. But as you mentioned, it is not 100% the same and it can't be. And for the masses, yes it will be 'good enough.' But like Katt Williams said, everyone pushes that 300C around because it looks like a Bentley, that is, until a real Bentley comes around. 
I'm not telling anyone not to buy. I've purchased some myself in the past. I used to be a collector; I have way too many bottles in a wine cooler and a bunch of them are the high end ones.

Over time I just came to the conclusion that the higher end ones weren't that much better. Once you go past the mid range (~$50), the marginal return starts to diminish rapidly. 

There will always be people paying for the "immeasurable". That's why companies spend so much on marketing. 

I'm trying to let those in here that aren't too versed in fragrances that care to listen know that you don't need to spend a lot of money in order to get quality product. 

Last edited:
Yuppie college kids don't count. :lol:

Anyone drinking premium beer to get drunk is a moron. 

I guess you're hell bent on sounding like an idiot in here.

Yuppie college kid I am not. I did go to college with them. And they don't really drink premium beer genius.

Most college students palates aren't refined like that. And the keg parties I remember rarely had premium beer.

Nice try though.

If I'm drinking beer, it's to get drunk. If I drink anything with alcohol, it's for that purpose. Period. Otherwise, I'd just drink water.

I drink premium beer because I clearly enjoy the taste more than Budweiser. And I can afford it. It's about enjoying the means to the end.

So I guess I shouldn't drink top shelf alcohol to get drunk? I should just drink the cheap stuff?

I shouldn't drink Brunello if I'm trying to get drunk? I should drink Boone's?

According to you, I should only drink cheap beer/alcohol if I'm trying to get drunk? Even if I can't stand how it tastes?

Even if cheaper alcohol has a different effect on the body?

Genius.

Last edited:
I guess you're hell bent on sounding like an idiot in here.
Yuppie college kid I am not. I did go to college with them. And they don't really drink premium beer genius.
Most college students palates aren't refined like that. And the keg parties I remember rarely had premium beer.
Nice try though.
If I'm drinking beer, it's to get drunk. Period. Otherwise, I'd just drink water.
I drink premium beer because I clearly enjoy the taste more than Budweiser. And I can afford it.
So I guess I shouldn't drink top shelf alcohol to get drunk? I should just drink the cheap stuff?
I shouldn't drink Brunello if I'm trying to get drunk? I should drink Boone's?
According to you, I should only drink cheap beer/alcohol if I'm trying to get drunk? Even if I can't stand how it tastes?
Even if cheaper alcohol has a different effect on the body?
Genius.
Pretty much.

Life's not a music video.

If you're drinking premium beer or top shelf liquor just to get wasted than that's a moron move. The fact that many people do this doesn't mean it's not.  Sometimes you don't want to get drunk and you do but that's a different story. 
laugh.gif

The only high end alcohol that's permissible to drink in order to get drunk is single malt. The blended stuff is just trash.  

All the rest of the mid range liquors are more than fine to get wasted on. Just stay away from the cheap (i.e. Barton's), homeless man's vodka. That's lighter fluid. 

Last edited:
Pretty much.

If you're drinking premium beer or top shelf liquor just to get wasted than that's a moron move. The fact that many people do this doesn't mean it's not.  Sometimes you don't want to get drunk and you do but that's a different story. :lol:

The only high end alcohol that's permissible to drink in order to get drunk is single malt. The blended stuff is just trash.  

:lol: at your idiotic "rules".

Now there is a differentiation between single malt and any other top shelf alcohol/beer that makes it "permissable"?

Music video? What the **** are you talking about?

People drink to get a buzz/drunk. Many of us like to enjoy what we drink. It's so simple......the fact that you can't grasp that concept is laughable.

I guess quality alcohol is just for special occasions for you. Thankfully, we don't all live like that.

Enjoy your premium beer in your little tea cup. Make sure you extend that pinky too.

I'll continue to guzzle at will. And enjoy every minute of it.

Pretty much.

If you're drinking premium beer or top shelf liquor just to get wasted than that's a moron move. The fact that many people do this doesn't mean it's not.  Sometimes you don't want to get drunk and you do but that's a different story. :lol:

All the rest of the mid range liquors are more than fine to get wasted on. Just stay away from the cheap (i.e. Barton's), homeless man's vodka. That's lighter fluid. 

It baffles me that people can be this ignorant and close minded

You are on NT so clearly you are/where into sneakers so by your accounts everyone should just cop some $20 Walmart Starter kicks because the only purpose they serve is to walk around

I'm trying to let those in here that aren't too versed in fragrances that care to listen know that you don't need to spend a lot of money in order to get quality product. 
That I can def understand. Again, just understand the products value. I have bottles I paid 10 dollars for, and others a few hundred bucks. Smelling good is not dependent upon how expensive the fragrance is. My favorite cologne currently is actually a designer, albeit a harder to find rare one.

"Butthurt"?

Here I am thinking I'm discussing top notch alcohol with an adult. And then that person uses the term "butthurt".

You got it.

No one's out there knocking back a 12 pack of Dogfishhead in a few hours.

Wrong.

Very wrong. Once your beer palate increases you'll understand. One good bottle of the right beer can get you there faster than a 6 pack of bud with less calories and an enjoyable flavor. There's certain beers you can no longer stand if you're really bout that life, and are only drank if there are no other options. If you don't like beer fine, but your arguments in here are ridiculous.

And I'm good with getting the actual fragrances I like though they're pricy. If son had a legit alternative I was willing to listen, but doesn't look like it.

Back
Top Bottom