**2012-13 "Gentlemanly" NBA PG Discussion Thread**

Y'all get so caught up in the Pure PG BS...And that's what it is BS. In college/HS having that is neccesary but in the NBA that just isn't the case.
Chris Paul hasn't been the same since his knee injury, how he is viewed now is far more myth than fact.
you cant find pure PG anymore, everyone wants to score. just look at recruiting in college and see how many pure PG you can find over the last few years.
Pure point guards are horribly overrated in today's NBA.
QFT

Last edited:
I can't quote post for some reason but JJ you said you'll be curious to see what the Bulls do this year, maybe we didn't give the supporting cast enough credit...

Did you not see the next 4 games of the Philly series after he went down?!?!?

You honestly think they lose a game to Philly if he plays? Let alone loses that series?

I was just telling some bulls fans & Nolan I'm not sure how we average over 80 this year. Forget the amount he scores/assist on the amount of opportunities he creates for others just by being on the floor are glaringly apparent.

I love Steph, always have been a fan of his game but they are two totally different players. It doesn't matter to Pooh if he scores single digits or 40 he just wants to win, he scores because he HAS to... Steph WANTED to score.

I can't quote post for some reason but JJ you said you'll be curious to see what the Bulls do this year, maybe we didn't give the supporting cast enough credit...
Did you not see the next 4 games of the Philly series after he went down?!?!?
You honestly think they lose a game to Philly if he plays? Let alone loses that series?
I was just telling some bulls fans & Nolan I'm not sure how we average over 80 this year. Forget the amount he scores/assist on the amount of opportunities he creates for others just by being on the floor are glaringly apparent.
I love Steph, always have been a fan of his game but they are two totally different players. It doesn't matter to Pooh if he scores single digits or 40 he just wants to win, he scores because he HAS to... Steph WANTED to score.

No doubt if Rose plays the Bulls would have beaten Philly. I think the supporting cast will keep the team over .500 while he's on the mend. It's debatable if they are as strong as last year's bunch, but they did play good basketball while Rose was nursing other injuries. Thibs is the perfect coach for this situation.

Also, good point about Steph wanting to score and Rose basically doing it out of necessity. I think Rose is a very different PG in comparison to guys like Paul/Rondo. While he's a damn good scorer, I think an argument can be made about how well he runs a team.

Also, let's not pretend like Derrick Rose didn't have a mediocre playoff run in 2011.

What?

I don't like to consider these slashing point guards like Rose and Westbrook even point guards. They just happen to be put at that position. They play the Point Gaurd position about as well as Dwyane Wade would if you stuck him there which you could do.

LOL.

This year's group is no where near what last years group was offensively or defensively.

You had Omer, Taj, & Ronnie Brewer coming off the bench... Defensively that as crazy as a 2nd unit as you can have

Then you had CJ who's a decent PG & Kyle who can shoot, they all played well off each other and had amazing chemistry. This years group is a hodge poge of left overs.

But even with all of what we had last year we couldn't win a single game in the playoffs without Pooh.

As far as my top PG's I don't have Pooh in the rank bc I don't know where he's going to come back at so my list looks like this:

Rondo
CP/Deron
Russy
Tony.

I really like Lowery though. REALLY LIKE HIS GAME.

HALF???

Last edited:
1/2 the games he played in during the 2011 playoffs were not good. And you know this.

I get what your saying cause he did shoot 39% from the field...but he played some pretty tough teams defensively. Against Atlanta, he single handedly chopped them up. And then he had Le
Bron guarding him against the Heat, can't blame him for that one. He is asked to carry an offense in a way that on else was...And its not like he doesn't like to pass to anyone who watched him at Memphis knows that.

1/2 the games he played in during the 2011 playoffs were not good. And you know this.
so all you doing is looking at FG% and dont remember what he did back then?  he played at an elite level all playoffs that year tll game 2 VS the heat and bron put him on lock down for the rest of that serise.

I've never understood the obsession with point guards, it's a position that rarely leads it's team to an NBA championship. In the last 20 years, there have been 2 PG's that have been MVP of the Finals & they weren't necessarily the best player on their respective teams. You'll hardly ever see the best pg in the league be it's best player, they're usually like 4-5 slots back & I don't expect anyone from the current crop to lead their team to the finals anytime soon.

so all you doing is looking at FG% and dont remember what he did back then?  he played at an elite level all playoffs that year tll game 2 VS the heat and bron put him on lock down for the rest of that serise.

I get it...we get to pick and choose when to look at FG% when talking about certain guys. My bad.

Even though I said he wasn't good in 1/2 the games he played in, we'll ignore everything past game 1 vs. the Heat.

Sorry.

magic johnson is widely considered the greatest pg of all time, and he didn't have a jump shot [developed a set shot late in his career, but still]...john stockton wasn't known for his shooting...rondo is knocked for not having an outside shot because players like d-rose and russ redefined our expectations...if rondo played point in the 80s or 90s, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that he'd be considered one of the all-time greats at his position, but nowadays people think point guards need to be scoring 20+ ppg and getting highlight reel dunks
Stockton had 7 years shooting over 40% on threes. He was second in the league one year in 3 point shooting. Also an excellent midrange shooter.

Last edited:
magic johnson is widely considered the greatest pg of all time, and he didn't have a jump shot [developed a set shot late in his career, but still]...john stockton wasn't known for his shooting...rondo is knocked for not having an outside shot because players like d-rose and russ redefined our expectations...if rondo played point in the 80s or 90s, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that he'd be considered one of the all-time greats at his position, but nowadays people think point guards need to be scoring 20+ ppg and getting highlight reel dunks
It's not a need its what you said it was, people's expectations of point guard play have been redefined. Things changed. The point guard is now expected to be a decent scoring option and threat now and IMO there's nothing wrong with that

APG doesn't tell the whole tale at PG.
This. I would say that Tony Parker looks to facilitate way more often than d rose does and that is where the difference lies. Can't really quantify it, it's more of an eye test thing. I watch 90+ spurs games a year so I can attest to that. Not much rose can do seeing as how he's the only viable scoring option on that team but because of that he's received that label.

Last edited:
Wait... We're really saying Pooh had a mediocre playoff run in 2011?!?!?

So the 4 games v LeBron just erase what he did against Indiana & ATL huh? Its not like he wasn't torturing everyone else all 3 teams put on him during those series or anything,

Even if Stockton wasn't known for his shooting, can you even say he was a bad shooter? :lol:

Guy was money from midrange and shot well from 3 point range for a good amount of his career. He was also an excellent free throw shooter.

Rose was damn near averaging 30 and 8 heading into the Miami series :x

Last edited:

So the 4 games v LeBron just erase what he did against Indiana & ATL huh? Its not like he wasn't torturing everyone else all 3 teams put on him during those series or anything,

this is a get banned 101 thread in disguise

not falling for da bait

He shot 40% in both of those series. Please consult with Snoop Dogg

Last edited:
Tony Parker is not a "pure PG" though he has improved his play making over the last two seasons.

Back
Top Bottom