2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

Originally Posted by RFX45

No person who knows even a little about cars would expect this to do 0-60 that fast
laugh.gif

Shhh, it's an exaggeration to make a point. 

But seriously, the car will do well if it can reach 0-60 in low 6's or even high 5's. To me, that is plenty fast enough. 

From which Subaru are they taking the flat 4 for this car anyway? 

No doubt. 5's would really surprise me.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

Not expecting a GTR at all.

I dont know why car manufacturers act like its impossible to have both power and handling in the same stock package. I just think they have the potential to produce a car that is truly better than more expensive competition in both handling AND acceleration.

Reliability on older boxters is a complete joke, and IMO the Caymen is one of the most overpriced cars on the market for what you get. Its nothing but a glorified hardtop boxter, virtually unchanged since 1996.

It's not about it being impossible but they are making a car for a certain price range, they are saying this will cost around $20k. $20k!!!!! I'd be more reasonable and say it'll be around $23k-$25k but even then it is looking like a pretty good for the price considering how reliable Toyotas are. 
Plus it isn't as easy as putting a big engine on everything so it can go drag racing with every car on the street, it is so much more complicated than that and even more complicated when you take pricing into consideration. More power means bigger breaks and better suspension/struts, weight saving means manufacturing parts out of lightweight materials which cost more, faster car means better steering, etc... And in these day and age, you got to consider the mpg too, which would extra tuning to the engine w/o affecting the power much.

As for Porsche, it is one of the most reliable brand these days and the Cayman has been pretty reliable it's whole life since it came out in 06, with problems occurring when people tracked the cars. Cayman being overpriced is subjective, it's a luxury sports car. If you look at all the sports cars, it isn't a reasonable purchase. Aston Martin has crappy nav and about as reliable as a Ford, Ferrari is infamous in destroying transmission which will cost you thousands to replace, heck the ZR1s body is still made of plastic and the interior is trash. I could go on but reliability isn't the point. Read all the reviews on the Cayman, it is always included in the cars "best of the year" category because it is that damn good to drive. Some writers even compares it to Ferrari and even better than the 911. And no, the Cayman isn't just a hardtop Boxster, it's more rigid and better handling because of the hard top. 

I dont know why car manufacturers act like its impossible to have both power and handling in the same stock package. I just think they have the potential to produce a car that is truly better than more expensive competition in both handling AND acceleration.

Reliability on older boxters is a complete joke, and IMO the Caymen is one of the most overpriced cars on the market for what you get. Its nothing but a glorified hardtop boxter, virtually unchanged since 1996.

It's not about it being impossible but they are making a car for a certain price range, they are saying this will cost around $20k. $20k!!!!! I'd be more reasonable and say it'll be around $23k-$25k but even then it is looking like a pretty good for the price considering how reliable Toyotas are. 
Plus it isn't as easy as putting a big engine on everything so it can go drag racing with every car on the street, it is so much more complicated than that and even more complicated when you take pricing into consideration. More power means bigger breaks and better suspension/struts, weight saving means manufacturing parts out of lightweight materials which cost more, faster car means better steering, etc... And in these day and age, you got to consider the mpg too, which would extra tuning to the engine w/o affecting the power much.

As for Porsche, it is one of the most reliable brand these days and the Cayman has been pretty reliable it's whole life since it came out in 06, with problems occurring when people tracked the cars. Cayman being overpriced is subjective, it's a luxury sports car. If you look at all the sports cars, it isn't a reasonable purchase. Aston Martin has crappy nav and about as reliable as a Ford, Ferrari is infamous in destroying transmission which will cost you thousands to replace, heck the ZR1s body is still made of plastic and the interior is trash. I could go on but reliability isn't the point. Read all the reviews on the Cayman, it is always included in the cars "best of the year" category because it is that damn good to drive. Some writers even compares it to Ferrari and even better than the 911. And no, the Cayman isn't just a hardtop Boxster, it's more rigid and better handling because of the hard top. 

Beleive me I i know a bigger engind isnt the only solution to go faster, but like I have said before,
an OPTIONAL  V6 would be nice. I dont expect 4 second 0-60s  from a car with a 20k price tag, but a V6 performance package for 6-10k would make this thing FLY.

I never said the Caymen was unreliable, but older boxters have a laundrylist of engine and electrical problems. The boxter was a cheap car designed to make money off of silly Americans that wanted a 911 but couldnt afford one or handle its power
laugh.gif

Im completley aware that the Caymen is more rigid than the boxter due to its fixed top, but doesnt that make it exactly what I said ?? A hardtop Boxter ?

Beleive me I i know a bigger engind isnt the only solution to go faster, but like I have said before,
an OPTIONAL  V6 would be nice. I dont expect 4 second 0-60s  from a car with a 20k price tag, but a V6 performance package for 6-10k would make this thing FLY.

I never said the Caymen was unreliable, but older boxters have a laundrylist of engine and electrical problems. The boxter was a cheap car designed to make money off of silly Americans that wanted a 911 but couldnt afford one or handle its power
laugh.gif

Im completley aware that the Caymen is more rigid than the boxter due to its fixed top, but doesnt that make it exactly what I said ?? A hardtop Boxter ?

laugh.gif

A V6 wouldn't fit in this car and would be too heavy, that would defeat the weight this car is aiming for. If you read my initial posts in this thread, I was all for a NA flat 6 boxer engine but I am perfectly fine with a flat 4 for the price range too considering it'll most likely be designed to have a turbo incorporated to it in the future. 
Again, so what if the Boxster had problems 10 years ago, the point is the brand is very reliable now. Boxsters aren't even cheap and you just said it's overpriced a few posts ago. The mid-engine Boxster/Cayman drives better than most 911's and the only reason it isn't getting more power is because Porsche doesn't want their iconic 911 being overwhelmed because if they put as much power in the Cayman as they do in the 911, it'll likely be their best sports car in the brand outside of supercars like the GT3-RS. So you can't say it is just a way for Porsche to make money from those who want to own a "Porsche", at least not anymore, Porches cash cows are the Panamera and Cayenne. The Boxster/Cayman has a niche of their own, it's their best handling car, period. 

laugh.gif

A V6 wouldn't fit in this car and would be too heavy, that would defeat the weight this car is aiming for. If you read my initial posts in this thread, I was all for a NA flat 6 boxer engine but I am perfectly fine with a flat 4 for the price range too considering it'll most likely be designed to have a turbo incorporated to it in the future. 
Again, so what if the Boxster had problems 10 years ago, the point is the brand is very reliable now. Boxsters aren't even cheap and you just said it's overpriced a few posts ago. The mid-engine Boxster/Cayman drives better than most 911's and the only reason it isn't getting more power is because Porsche doesn't want their iconic 911 being overwhelmed because if they put as much power in the Cayman as they do in the 911, it'll likely be their best sports car in the brand outside of supercars like the GT3-RS. So you can't say it is just a way for Porsche to make money from those who want to own a "Porsche", at least not anymore, Porches cash cows are the Panamera and Cayenne. The Boxster/Cayman has a niche of their own, it's their best handling car, period. 

laugh.gif

V6, flat6, I6, I5 shoot even a solid 4 banger that can handle obscene amounts of boost. Im just hoping they  come out with a serious performance package eventually.

I should adjust my statement " The boxter started out as underpowered poor mans 911 and is now a less underpowered, overpriced Porsche." The original boxter retailed for 38k, a 2012 model can run you almost 90k. Although the performance in the newer models is much better than the old ones, I dont think its enough to justify doubling the price.

laugh.gif

V6, flat6, I6, I5 shoot even a solid 4 banger that can handle obscene amounts of boost. Im just hoping they  come out with a serious performance package eventually.

I should adjust my statement " The boxter started out as underpowered poor mans 911 and is now a less underpowered, overpriced Porsche." The original boxter retailed for 38k, a 2012 model can run you almost 90k. Although the performance in the newer models is much better than the old ones, I dont think its enough to justify doubling the price.

"SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -" to Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show

Tokyo, November 16, 2011 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today unveiled the world premiere of "SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -" at the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show. (Press days on November 16 and 17. Open to public from November 18 to 27 in US)

The "SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -" is a concept car based on the "SUBARU BRZ", an all-new rear-wheel drive (RWD) compact sports car developed from an ongoing joint-project between Subaru and Toyota Motor Corporation. By making full use of the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer, Subaru's core technology, this concept car further pursued a "Pure Handling Delight" driving experience that can be realized by the Boxer engine's low center of gravity. Combined with motifs of Subaru's iconic performance brand "STI", the concept car embodies an ultimate handling performance and symbolizes the possibilities the SUBARU BRZ holds for the future.

Styling
• By installing the Boxer engine as low as possible, the low hood and sleek roofline together compose a sophisticated form. This is also blended with STI performance touches for a Subaru sporting profile.
• A hexagonal lower front grille, hawk eye headlights and fin-shaped fog lamps make the front face instantly recognizable as Subaru.
• STI-made lower front spoiler and rear wing magnify down-force and aerodynamics performance. They allow stable straight driving and excellent handling at high speeds.
• The rear design with bold rear fender flares, large rear-diffuser, and twin dual tailpipes intensifies the STI performance feel.
• A carbon-fiber roof, already installed in a WRX STI model and highly acclaimed, has been employed by the concept car. With it, extra weight reduction and an even lower center of gravity were achieved, contributing considerably to the ultimate handling performance this concept model aims to offer.
• The lively exterior color "WR Blue Pearl II" is a new generation of the iconic WR blue paint scheme that emphasizes the racing image.

Engine
• The Boxer engine has inherent qualities of light weight, compactness, low center of gravity, and high rigidity – all pointing toward its great potential as a sports car engine. Taking full advantage of these features, a 2.0-liter horizontally-opposed four-cylinder direct fuel-injection gasoline engine has been developed exclusively for BRZ.
• The engine has been designed with a square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm. Combined with Toyota's D-4S direct injection technology (fuel injection system), high output and high environmental standards were both attained, both expected of a new generation sports car.

Chassis and Body
• Compared with other Subaru models, the engine in SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI - sits an impressive 120 mm lower and is positioned 240 mm closer to the center of the chassis. As a result, this car has achieved one of the lowest possible center of gravity in cars on the market today.
• By incorporating lightweight parts such as a carbon-fiber roof, the overall weight has been reduced. Subaru has also succeeded in attaining a body structure that is both lightweight and highly rigid in a striking balance. The concept car is the embodiment of pure driving enjoyment only obtainable with a "Boxer sports car".
• Its unique handling performance has been remarkably refined by adopting STI's lightweight 18-inch alloy wheels with performance tires and STI tuned suspension with excellent lateral stiffness.
• Brembo brakes enhance braking performance.

Major Specifications
Overall Length × Width × Height (mm): 4,230 × 1,800 × 1,280 Wheelbase (mm): 2,570
Engine Type: 2.0-liter direct fuel injection naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder
Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine Tires: 215/45R18 (Front), 225/45R18 (Rear)

"SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -" to Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show

Tokyo, November 16, 2011 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today unveiled the world premiere of "SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -" at the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show. (Press days on November 16 and 17. Open to public from November 18 to 27 in US)

The "SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -" is a concept car based on the "SUBARU BRZ", an all-new rear-wheel drive (RWD) compact sports car developed from an ongoing joint-project between Subaru and Toyota Motor Corporation. By making full use of the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer, Subaru's core technology, this concept car further pursued a "Pure Handling Delight" driving experience that can be realized by the Boxer engine's low center of gravity. Combined with motifs of Subaru's iconic performance brand "STI", the concept car embodies an ultimate handling performance and symbolizes the possibilities the SUBARU BRZ holds for the future.

Styling
• By installing the Boxer engine as low as possible, the low hood and sleek roofline together compose a sophisticated form. This is also blended with STI performance touches for a Subaru sporting profile.
• A hexagonal lower front grille, hawk eye headlights and fin-shaped fog lamps make the front face instantly recognizable as Subaru.
• STI-made lower front spoiler and rear wing magnify down-force and aerodynamics performance. They allow stable straight driving and excellent handling at high speeds.
• The rear design with bold rear fender flares, large rear-diffuser, and twin dual tailpipes intensifies the STI performance feel.
• A carbon-fiber roof, already installed in a WRX STI model and highly acclaimed, has been employed by the concept car. With it, extra weight reduction and an even lower center of gravity were achieved, contributing considerably to the ultimate handling performance this concept model aims to offer.
• The lively exterior color "WR Blue Pearl II" is a new generation of the iconic WR blue paint scheme that emphasizes the racing image.

Engine
• The Boxer engine has inherent qualities of light weight, compactness, low center of gravity, and high rigidity – all pointing toward its great potential as a sports car engine. Taking full advantage of these features, a 2.0-liter horizontally-opposed four-cylinder direct fuel-injection gasoline engine has been developed exclusively for BRZ.
• The engine has been designed with a square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm. Combined with Toyota's D-4S direct injection technology (fuel injection system), high output and high environmental standards were both attained, both expected of a new generation sports car.

Chassis and Body
• Compared with other Subaru models, the engine in SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI - sits an impressive 120 mm lower and is positioned 240 mm closer to the center of the chassis. As a result, this car has achieved one of the lowest possible center of gravity in cars on the market today.
• By incorporating lightweight parts such as a carbon-fiber roof, the overall weight has been reduced. Subaru has also succeeded in attaining a body structure that is both lightweight and highly rigid in a striking balance. The concept car is the embodiment of pure driving enjoyment only obtainable with a "Boxer sports car".
• Its unique handling performance has been remarkably refined by adopting STI's lightweight 18-inch alloy wheels with performance tires and STI tuned suspension with excellent lateral stiffness.
• Brembo brakes enhance braking performance.

Major Specifications
Overall Length × Width × Height (mm): 4,230 × 1,800 × 1,280 Wheelbase (mm): 2,570
Engine Type: 2.0-liter direct fuel injection naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder
Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine Tires: 215/45R18 (Front), 225/45R18 (Rear)

No person who knows even a little about cars would expect this to do 0-60 that fast
laugh.gif

But seriously, the car will do well if it can reach 0-60 in low 6's or even high 5's. To me, that is plenty fast enough. 

its an all new engine making its first appearance in this car...

laugh.gif

its an all new engine making its first appearance in this car...

Never even considered driving one, Im too big to fit comfortably 
laugh.gif
. I had a friend in highschool with one and it handled great around corners but it was still incredibly slow. It was an older gen with the flip up headlights though, I hear the Mx5s are alittle faster. 

Lolz, I thought it was the thrid time I complained
laugh.gif
. No offense to anyone that wants to buy one of these, but without mods I could never take this car seriously. 

I honestly think when this car releases it will pack more than the rumored 200hp, and Toyota is just trying to keep things under wraps.

Flip up headlights tho? No one is going to take you seriously if your knowledge of lightweight sports cars is that limited. There is the "Most Powerful Production V8" thread for your enjoyment tho. And next time just George Muresan it in your friend's Miata. If it is a width issue, then...
grin.gif

Never even considered driving one, Im too big to fit comfortably 
laugh.gif
. I had a friend in highschool with one and it handled great around corners but it was still incredibly slow. It was an older gen with the flip up headlights though, I hear the Mx5s are alittle faster. 

Lolz, I thought it was the thrid time I complained
laugh.gif
. No offense to anyone that wants to buy one of these, but without mods I could never take this car seriously. 

I honestly think when this car releases it will pack more than the rumored 200hp, and Toyota is just trying to keep things under wraps.

Flip up headlights tho? No one is going to take you seriously if your knowledge of lightweight sports cars is that limited. There is the "Most Powerful Production V8" thread for your enjoyment tho. And next time just George Muresan it in your friend's Miata. If it is a width issue, then...
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom