2013-2014 NBA Finals - Spurs SMASH Heat 4-1 - San Antonio Spurs NBA Champions [RIP Dwyane Wade]

Who will Lebron James play for next year?

• LA Clippers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LA Lakers

• Houston Rockets

• Miami Heat

• San Antonio Spurs

• Another Team (Cavs don't count)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
01 Lakers, 96 Bulls, 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, 89 Pistons, 83 Sixers, definitely over the Spurs just picking out the best of those squads. Leaving off so many of Jordan's other Bulls teams, Magic's and Larry's other squads who were dominant as well. Honestly don't think the Spurs crack the top 10.

01 Lakers, 96 Bulls, 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, 89 Pistons, 83 Sixers, definitely over the Spurs just picking out the best of those squads. Leaving off so many of Jordan's other Bulls teams, Magic's and Larry's other squads who were dominant as well. Honestly don't think the Spurs crack the top 10.

My argument was never that this team is a best of all time or top 10 or top anything.
My argument was that they dominated the competition. Anyone saying this team didn't or isn't dominant currently or historically I will have to disagree with, plain and simple.

So those are the only "historically dominant" teams. No way. I'm just not buying it. Though they are superb teams, it doesn't stop there. The most dominant ever in my lifetime was the Bulls team that lost only 10 reg season games. The 97-98 team I think. But I've seen a lot. The Lakers team with Kobe/Shaq was pretty impressive. That Celtics squad with the Big 3 was pretty impressive. This Spurs team is right up there with any if the greats I've seen. I'm not believing any thing else no matter how many stats I see or how they compare to the 80's competition. They are incomparable my dude, they just are. Stats and PER only go so far with me, you have to play the game

The teams you mentioned had Prime Jordan, Kobe and Shaq not to mention other greats like Pippen. The 2008 Celtics had 3 Hall of Famers who were just exiting their primes if you cant see the difference between that and the 2014 Spurs I dont know what you tell you

Like if we had a tournament of the greatest NBA teams of history and yall would really pick the 2014 Spurs?

Lol, this Spurs team doesn't have any HOFers exiting their prime? None?

Yeah, Tony Parker is exiting his prime

Duncan and Manu exited their primes awhile ago

Last edited:
My argument was never that this team is a best of all time or top 10 or top anything.
My argument was that they dominated the competition. Anyone saying this team didn't or isn't dominant currently or historically I will have to disagree with, plain and simple.

That's all well and dandy but they didn't dominate in the simple fact they lost 7 games in winning the title.

That 08 Celtics team is actually a fair comparison. Aging stars past their prime that had a great season (66 wins vs 62) and lost 6 games vs 8 for the Celtics in route to the finals.

But even so, the fact that they dismantled the competition with guys out of their prime leading the way is, no slight on the competition they beat. All the teams they beat could run in any era. Just not further than any of the teams that Jordan and Magic and Isaiah and those guys dismantled ran. Those teams won the Chips because they were better, not because the competition sucked, same as the a Spurs squad just did, and has done for 15-20 years every damn year.

That's all well and dandy but they didn't dominate in the simple fact they lost 7 games in winning the title.

That 08 Celtics team is actually a fair comparison. Aging stars past their prime that had a great season (66 wins vs 62) and lost 6 games vs 8 for the Celtics in route to the finals.

Fair enough.
But I'm going to have to disagree

We have different definitions of dominant and great. The Spurs were a great team this year all title teams are, but historically dominant is another tier. There were points in these playoffs where they looked really beatable and actually did get beat handily in 5 games this postseason (losing by dbl digits), can't say that about most of those other squads.

Duncan hasnt been in his prime since like 2009

Manu hasnt been in his prime since 2011

So 2014 Duncan and Manu are comparable to 1984 Bird, 1987 Magic, 1991 Jordan?

Duncan hasnt been in his prime since like 2009

Manu hasnt been in his prime since 2011

So 2014 Duncan and Manu are comparable to 1984 Bird, 1987 Magic, 1991 Jordan?

This doesn't fit into my argument. I'll skip the debate on this for it matters none in my overall opinion of how or why the Spurs smashed everyone after the Dallas Series.

I fail to see how you smash the competition by losing by 12, 13 and 18 after that Dallas series but you got it.

Spurs were a great frontrunning team once they got you down it was over. Funny cause they beat Miami at their own game.

Last edited:
OKC may have snuck in a couple wins. Having the 2nd and 3rd best player will get you that. OKC still should have been able to beat a Spurs is what I kept saying, then I realized they were lucky to win 2 with what they had

OKC may have snuck in a couple wins. Having the 2nd and 3rd best player will get you that. OKC still should have been able to beat a Spurs is what I kept saying, then I realized they were lucky to win 2 with what they had

And them missing Serge those 1st two games meant nothing huh? They were lucky? Lol. OKC won two convincingly you don't luck up and win in two blowouts and then were right there at the doorstep to force a game 7. And before you bring up Parker being gone, he was horrible for most of last night yet they increased their lead when he was out and playing bad.

Last edited:
93 Bulls with a prime MJ/Pippen duo + Phil would be a nightmare.

01 Lakers.

86 Celtics

85 Lakers

And for the questioning of Magic, he went to 9 Finals in 12 years. Stop, just stop.

It includes a run of Finals he went to in 82, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, and 89. That's 7 times in 8 years. :lol: :lol:

He retired at 31. Kobe, Duncan, KG, Nash etc all playing to almost 40. MJ as well. Let Magic have a complete finish to his career and his totals would have been STUPID.

Duncan just became all time playoff double double leader with 158. In 233 or so games.

Magic had 157. In 190 games. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He won a college title vs Bird. Went into the pros and won 5 titles his first 9 years. That's 6 titles in 10 years counting the College one as a Sophomore.

Please people, stop trying to examine Wikipedia for ways to discredit Magic Johnson.

He battled and era with Dr J, Moses Malone, Bird, Isiah, Nique, Stockton-Malone, Run TMC, Barkley, Ewing, Dream, and Mike all during their primes or early primes.

Choose another battle.

This doesn't fit into my argument. I'll skip the debate on this for it matters none in my overall opinion of how or why the Spurs smashed everyone after the Dallas Series.
You should skip the debate alot when it comes to basketball talk. Especially after comments you made before the spurs/thunder series 

You should skip the debate alot when it comes to basketball talk. Especially after comments you made before the spurs/thunder series 

Yea, it appears I was wrong. That happens. Doesn't mean I don't know basketball or should stop discussing it as a fan. You telling me that you called everything that happened this post season? Or any other season, in any sport. I can admit when I'm wrong, It won't be the last time I make a wrong prediction either.
But, if I'm so off base with my talk, how come I won the NT bracket then.

Then I take it you never saw those Warriors play.

They were better than these current Warriors. Mullin, Richmond, Hardaway were nightmares. They would murk this current game of shooting/spacing.

OKC had Serge in Game 5 and got demolished, had him again in Game 6 and couldn't get a win at home with their season on the line with no TP9 in the 2nd half, so I don't really want to hear about the no Serge excuse. San Antonio outplayed them, bottom line.

I barely remember them, they were a weaker verison of his 2000's Nellie Ball teams

They were far from a complete team and constantly a bottom seed

The late 1980s Suns teams deserve more mention than those Run TMC teams

Yea, it appears I was wrong. That happens. Doesn't mean I don't know basketball or should stop discussing it as a fan. You telling me that you called everything that happened this post season? Or any other season, in any sport. I can admit when I'm wrong, It won't be the last time I make a wrong prediction either.
akoeuro akoeuro

So...that's all you had to contribute. Nice. Thanks for nothing.

JD617 JD617 and that's a Feat in and of itself. I thought Thunder could manage a series win without Serge, based on what I saw of the Spurs in the regular season vs us. Then when he came back and they lost again in game 5, I knew this Spurs team was on cruise control. Peaked at the right time and that supreme confidence followed a very skillful well coached team.
I give it up now, I'm not the kind of fan to make excuses, they had a dope team

This is kind of like what I said in the other thread, but this is just going around and around in circles.

I feel like we live in an age where thanks to tv, social media, the internet, we all feel the need to document everything, especially sports. This in turn brings out the silliness that comes with trying to measure someone's greatness and accomplishments against another. It's stupid and it gets nowhere. There's no definitive answer to who's the best playoff teams, or who's postseason runs were better because of who they lost to, who they beat, it's just silly.

Understand, that to compare these things (and at times i've fallen victim to this) means to compare across generations, decades, and circumstance. There's legit far too many variables to definitively say that one franchise's run or one player's run in the NBA is greater than someone elses. Team of the decade, player of the decade, still harder but a bit more easier and concrete as far as being able to identify them. This is why that's a better discussion to have and to me holds more merit. Like people are comparing the 14' spurs to the Lakers of the 80's, or the Bulls of the 90's. I'm not even saying that to say either was better, but it's just silly to try and compare and see which team was more "dominant."

And I mean, I guess it's fun for the fan to try and do it, and sometimes I get wrapped up in it as well, but it's like as a basketball fan it kind of gets draining :lol: because there's no clear cut answer to almost any of this and it really comes down to personal subjectivity.

Last edited:
You swore Sefalosha was gonna lock down Ginobli. You also said Ibaka going down would have no impact and that Parker and Ginobli wouldn't be able to get to the rim regardless. They just seemed like homer predictions coming from an OKC fan. Anyone could have told you that Ibaka going down would have significant impact. idk maybe you were just in denial 

My Thunder/Spurs predictions were based on many things. Being a homer of course factored in but very little. I watched the NBA season not just playoffs. I watched a Spurs team all year because they are in my market. My opinion of the series eased based off of my knowledge of them against us in the reg season as well as the entire NBA. I said a lot of things, and I was wrong about most of them. That's clear. But these things were said based on my view of the matchups and the Thunders youth outweighing any other variable according to stats, popular opinion, NT, PER, point diff, Spurs lack of paint domination with Ibaka on the court etc. And, I was wrong. This I admitted and recognize. I don't understand how people can't admit when they are wrong, or people can determine ones worth based on things they are admittedlywrongabiut. It wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last that I admit defeat. I actually had the Thunder going down round two to the Clips, but yea, my whole conversations on the Thunder/Spurs series was me being a homer though? Ok, your opinion, you can have it man. It's allowed

Last edited:
Wins and losses are pretty definitive and indicative @shoeking101, so are the players during those eras. They were what they were and the Spurs are what they are. Comparisons happenin every sports and there's various measurables we can use to backup our viewpoints, it's why debate in general is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom