2013-2014 NBA Finals - Spurs SMASH Heat 4-1 - San Antonio Spurs NBA Champions [RIP Dwyane Wade]

Who will Lebron James play for next year?

• LA Clippers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LA Lakers

• Houston Rockets

• Miami Heat

• San Antonio Spurs

• Another Team (Cavs don't count)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, I dead *** forgot this is the finals thread and not the regular NBA thread. Maaaaan, lock this up 
laugh.gif

First take Kobe vs Duncan :nerd:

It's a good debate to have, don't think we can do player A vs B but here goes:

Kobe (18 years): 5 NBA titles, 2 Finals MVPs, 1 regular season MVP, 15 All NBA selections, 12 All NBA defense selections, 2 scoring titles, 14 All Star selections
Regular Season ranks
Rebounds: 6601 reb (5.3 rpg avg)
Assists: 5925 assists #27 all time (4.8 apg avg)
Steals: 1835 steals #15 all time (1.5 spg)
Blocks: 620 blocks (0.5 bpg)

Playoff ranks: 15 appearances
Rebounds: 1119 reb #35 all time (5.1 rpg avg)
Assists: 1040 assists #7 all time (4.7 apg)
Steals: 310 steals (1.4 spg)
Blocks: 144 blocks (0.7 bpg)

Tim Duncan (16 years): 5 NBA titles, 3 Finals MVPs, 2 regular season MVPs, 14 All NBA selections, 14 All NBA defense selections, 1 rebounding title, 14 All Star selections

Regular Season ranks
Rebounds: 13940 reb #11 all time (11.1 rpg)
Assists: 3832 assists (3.1 apg)
Steals: 915 steals (0.7 spg)
Blocks: 2791 blocks #7 all time (2.2 bpg)

Playoff ranks: 16 appearances
Rebounds: 2732 reb #3 all time (11.7 rpg)
Assists: 726 assists (3.1 apg)
Steals: 157 steals (0.7 spg)
Blocks: 545 blocks (2.3 bpg)

Think it's pretty safe to say they are both top 10 all time. I personally had Kobe at 5 before this season and Duncan at 8 for reference my top 10 (1. MJ, 2. Magic, 3. Kareem, 4. Russell, 5. Kobe, 6. Bird, 7. Shaq, 8. Tim 9. Wilt 10. Big O). I'm struggling to move Duncan up ahead of Shaq because Duncan's peak doesn't compare to Shaq's in my opinion, but that's debatable as well. For the simple fact that he's along with the Spurs been able to sustain excellence for a longer period of time, I'll move him up to 7 now that he's won 5 and finally for the first time was able to make back to back Finals appearances, a feat for all their greatness had never accomplished since he's been there before this year. Still haven't won back to back titles, which Kobe was able to do in a 3 peat with Shaq and with a totally different cast and made 3 Finals appearances in a row twice.

It honestly comes down to whether you prefer a dominant big man or a dynamic wing player, their accomplishments are both worthy and Kobe even in not being in the playoffs for 3 seasons has a pretty crazy resume only one of 3 players to have 4,000 pts, 1,000 reb and 1,000 assists in their playoff career (MJ and Lebron). Me being a Laker fan of course has some bias, but I'm going to have to go with Bean, he's been the more box office guy to watch personally which doesn't account for much, but has also had to endure change going from the top, to the bottom, back to the top (some of which was his own doing) and Duncan has had the model of consistency from an organizational standpoint with the ownership, personnel, and players around him. That combined with the fact that why some people believe that Tim is still their best and most important player, thing is they did to Pop's own admission gravitate away from him being their primary offensive option and turning over the reigns to Tony (2007) and maybe Kawhi now. He's always been their defensive anchor, though, and though they've had great perimeter defenders in Bowen and now Kawhi, it's all funneled to Duncan. Kobe was no slouch on the defensive end, especially during those prime years where he was put on the best perimeter player all while having to be one of or the top scoring option for LA.

Finally I think you have to take into account that Duncan's role isn't the same as it once was in his prime, he isn't taxed the same way he was to carry the Spurs the way he once was. He's able to coast through the regular season playing 30 minutes a game and due to the fantastic organization and coaching of Pop, they don't really skip a beat. Bean has been charged with carrying the Lakers every since Shaq departed in 2004 (really started in 2003 when Shaq started getting hurt and being lazy on company time), but he's had to still play an average of 39 minutes a game in that time period while Duncan has had to play an average of 36 minutes per game since 2003 and not had to play over 32 min a game since 2009. Again another testament to the great team the Spurs consistently have put around him. And unfortunately Kobe's going to be charged with carrying the Lakers these last two years as well.

When they've both had the team around them to succeed, which for Duncan has been his whole career, they've both been able to succeed at the highest levels and fortunately I've been able to witness and appreciate both of their careers in their entirety and part of me is jealous that Duncan has been able to consistently be able to put in position to contend and the Lakers now through two different periods have not and really wasted Kobe's best years. Can't go wrong with either player, you'll be in position to win with either and it's going to be a sad day when both of these guys along with KG end up walking away.

lmaoooo I'm a lakers fan leemealone. We should win every year. 3 rings to 11, that's not a reach lol.

hahahaha just noticed this is the finals thread

so who's winning this melo sweepstakes yall or us?

Sweepstakes?

More like consolation.
first word i thought of... its gonna be more of a piss match than anything

Potential 11.... The finals are over lock this thread smh

so who's winning this melo sweepstakes yall or us?

Hopefully y'all for a couple reasons. It doesn't fill a glaring need for us, there's options that suit our roster better, and I just find it hilarious that there's bulls fans who want Melo but not LeBron :lol:
:D
:lol:

I'm really, REALLY, interested if Phil lets Melo walk, what is his next move?

What does Phil do, post Melo, with the Knicks? Tear it all down and try to get picks in any way, or throw money at Rudy Gay or something terrible like that?

If Phil really has no care to keep Melo, then what does he plan to do with that roster?

Really interesting team for me this off season.

What does Phil do, post Melo, with the Knicks? Tear it all down and try to get picks in any way, or throw money at Rudy Gay or something terrible like that?

If Phil really has no care to keep Melo, then what does he plan to do with that roster?

Melon to LA
Kobe to NY

Not srs

Knicks gotta try to get Lowry man, like they could have this past season.

Don't even wanna look at their cap situation though.

I don't think he wants him. He's not a Melo "guy". It's a big risk letting him walk but he said twice they won't lose sleep over trying to sign him. Interesting verbage to say the least. 

I would be all for letting Melo walk if the Knicks had any draft picks for the next 40 years but they don't.

There's nobody out there who's going to replicate his scoring besides maybe Love, who I don't see them pulling.

I would be all for letting Melo walk if the Knicks had any draft picks for the next 40 years but they don't.

There's nobody out there who's going to replicate his scoring besides maybe Love, who I don't see them pulling.
roll.gif

Seriously, if the Spurs can keep Diaw I think they're in good shape. If Mills also comes back, Spurs win in 2015. If Houston, OKC, or LAC add Melo or Love that would be a challenge for SAS, but the salary cap won't allow it unless people start taking substantially less. I think Melo statys in New York as of right now. If Houston moves Lin, Asik, and maybe Parsons then Love is an option. If OKC moves Serge(Doubtful but I said earlier that they cant beat us with the roster they currently have and they need to shake it up), then maybe he fits there.

Salary cap is going to play a huge role in the West and what happens with the balance of power over there and the odds are in our favor because the guys we want arent huge salary cap grabbers. I feel that Diaw and Mills would take 2-3 less mill to stay in San Antonio rather than people not named LeBron leaving 5-7 mill annually on the tabler.

In terms of what free agents are key for the Spurs chances of repeating I am looking at LeBron, Melo, Love, P.Mills, and Diaw because what they do this summer may determine if the Spurs repeat next year. I dont want to see Patty go, and I dont think he will, he loves it here and we love him. Hometown discount.

My Thunder/Spurs predictions were based on many things. Being a homer of course factored in but very little. I watched the NBA season not just playoffs. I watched a Spurs team all year because they are in my market. My opinion of the series eased based off of my knowledge of them against us in the reg season as well as the entire NBA. I said a lot of things, and I was wrong about most of them. That's clear. But these things were said based on my view of the matchups and the Thunders youth outweighing any other variable according to stats, popular opinion, NT, PER, point diff, Spurs lack of paint domination with Ibaka on the court etc. And, I was wrong. This I admitted and recognize. I don't understand how people can't admit when they are wrong, or people can determine ones worth based on things they are admittedlywrongabiut. It wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last that I admit defeat. I actually had the Thunder going down round two to the Clips, but yea, my whole conversations on the Thunder/Spurs series was me being a homer though? Ok, your opinion, you can have it man. It's allowed
I respect you admitting you were wrong. Not alot of people do that now a days. Some people just have to be right about everything that comes out of their mouth. 

Weeknd have it all, he should stay in San Antonio though, but they going to ask him to take less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom