2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Petersen will not go to Cal. He's waiting for Chip to leave Oregon.

Anything else in that crystal ball of yours :lol: jk

He most likely wouldn't come here but to down right say he won't is stupid. We have no idea

:lol: when I wrote that it was looking like Tedford was not going to be fired someone plugged in on Twitter said there was a "80% chance" he was staying.

And mike made a good point, how is Cal expecting to pay for Petersen's contract + assistant coaches?

Last edited:
Petersen will not go to Cal. He's waiting for Chip to leave Oregon.

Anything else in that crystal ball of yours :lol: jk

He most likely wouldn't come here but to down right say he won't is stupid

. We have no idea

:lol: when I wrote that it was looking like Tedford was not going to be fired someone plugged in on Twitter said there was a "80% chance" he was staying.

And mike made a good point, how is Cal expecting to pay for Petersen's contract + assistant coaches?
I have no idea we will see

Just curious, if you put the teams mentioned in the PAC-12, where do they finish?
(v.s. the other teams in the PAC-12.)

If Georgia or South Carolina was in the PAC 12 the damn tables would get ran...the way the PAC 12 play defense hell...ole miss would look good over there

I'm not saying Petersen will go to Cal, but while the Oregon is clearly a better football program, there are also some factors that may push a coach toward Cal rather than Oregon.

I think Oregon is actually better off promoting their o-coordinator (Helfrich) than hiring Petersen if it came down to it.

What's exciting for Cal is the next coach will have a great opportunity- new facilities, new stadium, great location, great chance to be successful. It's not a bad spot to be in at all, a good coach can definitely turn it around.

Petersen would be awesome but I'm not crossing my fingers.

and what would that be?

if cal had to question if they could even afford to fire tedford how will they come up with the money to get petersen out of boise state? UCLA was willing to pay him 4 million a year, where you getting that money from?

-Location in the Bay Area. One of the most desirable places to live (and coach).
-100000000X better school than Oregon academically (but then again, so is any other school in the Pac-12 :lol: )
-Less pressure to win at Cal than at Oregon

Donors are paying for Tedford's buy-out, if Petersen were actually interested, I think it would get done.

Last edited:
If Georgia or South Carolina was in the PAC 12 the damn tables would get ran...the way the PAC 12 play defense hell...ole miss would look good over there

If Georgia or South Carolina was in the Pac

1. They wouldnt get all the recruits they get......playing in the SEC gets you if not the elite players in the country you get the 4 stars who didnt wanna be a back up at Bama, LSU, & Florida

2. No SEC recruits changes your team and style....we talking about a school deep in south in a ALL WEST COAST conference

yall dudes on NT sure do have a crazy imagination :lol:

Last edited:

I know right just like if you took a Big 12 school and put them in the SEC they would be get housed having to play SEC defenses and offenses every week.

Oh wait

Last edited:
If Georgia or South Carolina was in the Pac
1. They wouldnt get all the recruits they get......playing in the SEC gets you if not the elite players in the country you get the 4 stars who didnt wanna be a back up at Bama, LSU, & Florida
2. No SEC recruits changes your team and style....we talking about a school deep in south in a ALL WEST COAST conference
yall dudes on NT sure do have a crazy imagination :lol:

If the current Georgia team was in the PAC 12 the tables would get ran...period....if South Carolina was in that conference with the team they have now with a healthy lattimore..the tables would get ran...straight up....

[h1]SEC must have cracked the BCS codes, because league is overrated this year[/h1]
8450.png

By Gregg Doyel | National Columnist
Nov. 21, 2012 10:39 AM ET

If this were an episode of Survivor, I'd be voted off the island for what I'm about to do. But did you see what I just did? I very casually name-dropped a hit CBS series into a sports story, because that TV show and my website are under the same corporate umbrella. That's called synergy. And sucking up.

All in effort to make up for the treachery coming in the next sentence:

When I say the SEC is overrated.
[table][tr]
[/tr][tr][td]More content[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]
Well, it is -- this season anyway. For proof, look at the Associated Press Top 25. See the team there at No. 2? It's Alabama. No. 3 is Georgia. No. 6 is Florida, No. 8 is LSU and No. 9 is Texas A&M.

Five SEC teams in the top nine of the AP polls -- six in the top 12 of the BCS standings -- and that's ridiculous. And those are ridiculous words for me to write, seeing how CBS is the home of the SEC. Nobody has ever told me what I could and could not write, probably because it goes without saying that at CBSSports.com you are free to write anything you want, as long as you don't write that the SEC is overrated.

And most years, it's not. That run of six consecutive national titles doesn't lie, and it's not just one SEC team doing all that winning. Titles have been won by Alabama, Auburn, Florida and LSU -- and Georgia had an argument for being the best team in the country in 2007, though it was another two-loss SEC team (LSU) that beat Ohio State for the title.

The SEC is awesome, usually, so a season like this was probably inevitable -- a year when the league would live off its reputation. Meanwhile, one-loss teams Florida State, Oregon and Kansas State have almost no shot at the BCS title game because they come from the wrong conference.

It's a Ponzi scheme, this 2012 SEC fraud, built upon layers of air. Georgia is great because it has beaten Florida. Florida is great because it has beaten Texas A&M. Texas A&M is great because it has beaten Alabama. And Alabama is great because it has beaten ... um, who has Alabama beaten, anyway?

Alabama's best win in the league came against LSU, which struggled with mediocre Ole Miss and lousy Auburn and was given a scare by Towson or Towson State or Towson Christian or whatever that school is called. Before LSU, Alabama's signature victory was a 38-7 destruction of undefeated and then-No. 13 Mississippi State -- and Mississippi State hadn't beaten anybody either.

But we're about to see another SEC team get into the national title game, and we could see another all-SEC showdown if Southern California beats Notre Dame on Saturday. No, Notre Dame fans, I'm not predicting a USC win. But that would open the door to a national championship game featuring two teams from the SEC, a league that has scheduled gutlessly and seen itself rewarded by voters who don't know better and computers that need to be rebooted.

The computers love the SEC so much that I'm reminded of something former Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams said of the Missouri Valley Conference in 2006: The Valley got four teams into the NCAA Tournament, Williams said, because it "cracked the RPI code."

The SEC has cracked the computer code.

Schedule easy non-conference games, win them all, and then lose only to each other in league play. Voila! It's love, computer style. The SEC isn't playing football -- it's playing eHarmony.
[h1]The crass, thoughtless reorganization of college sports[/h1]
By Dennis Dodd | Senior College Football Columnist
November 20, 2012 3:55 pm ET

[table][tr][td]
rutgers1us-blog.jpg
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rutgers, a longtime Big East member, is the latest program to leave for greener pastures. (US Presswire) [/td][/tr][/table]
Mike Tranghese sat down Saturday and wrote a thank you note to Roy Kramer. Without the BCS, one former commissioner wrote to another, we wouldn't have been able to enjoy the rash of upsets that made the day -- and the game -- greater in the BCS era.

Kramer, the 82-old patriarch invented the BCS while still SEC commissioner in 1998. The system gave life not only to Tranghese's conference, the Big East, but all of college football.

As Stanford beat Oregon and Baylor finished drilling Kansas State, “I wrote him a note,” Tranghese said of Kramer, “telling him how I appreciated what he'd done for the game.”

A couple of days later, Tranghese was reminded why he stepped down as Big East commissioner in 2008.

“I knew,” he said, “the world was going to explode.”
[table][tr][td]More on Realignment[/td][/tr][tr][td]Related links[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]More college football coverage[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
It might have taken some of us until this week to realize the magnitude of the blast. Welcome to a new day in college athletics where there is no loyalty. We live in an age when former Boston College AD Gene DeFilippo says, “ESPN told us what to do.”

The last few days have indicated there soon might be fewer conferences. Almost certainly, there will be superconferences of at least 16 teams each in the future. The Big Ten wants to be the biggest, baddest, richest kid on the block after adding Maryland and Rutgers.

Anybody else out there wonder when Big Ten football is going to catch up with its ever-growing footprint?

It doesn't matter, really. In a way, Kramer's BCS created this environment as conferences chased the best lineup to present to networks. Nebraska hasn't won a conference title since 1999 but turns on televisions from Los Angeles to New York.

The BCS drew that not-so-artificial line between the haves and the have nots. Television natural selection did the rest.

We live in an age where players are student-athletes, games are “inventory” and even Rutgers can gain entrance into the cool kids club. Kramer fears for the day when even attendance at college football games doesn't matter.

“I worry we're going to see these games played in 40,000- and 50,000-seat stadiums instead of 90,000- or 100,000-seat stadiums,” he said.

Studio football, here we come?

You want to know how quickly things have changed this week? We awoke this morning with the Mountain West having better long-term prospects than the ACC.

The MWC was formed in 1999. There is a vibe that the 61-year-old ACC is slowly being torn apart. Follow the logic as well as the Delany and Sons bulldozers.

“I think the ACC is vulnerable. I'm worried about our conference.”

That was one Mike Krzyzewski.

There are others. The Big East has essentially become a tribute band -- trying to reclaim past glory with a new lineup. The Big 12 went from shaky to solid back to … ? At least one powerful Big 12 AD favors the addition of a couple of teams in order to add (again) a conference championship game.

“What's the Big 12 going to do?” Kramer said. “They're a little bit on the outside right now. They have no presence in a conference championship game. If you had a championship game, Kansas State might get back into the national championship picture.”

A source told CBSSports.com Tuesday that the ACC is already evaluating the worth of Louisville and UConn to take Maryland's spot. The Mountain West stands to profit if the Big East implodes.

“The Pac-12 will be nervous,” one college football official said, “as a cat on a hot tin roof. Look at the past. They look at the Big Ten. They are highly influenced by what the Big Ten does. I think you'll see them cast around.”

You may remember Larry Scott's Pac-12 attempted to aggressively unburden the Big-12 of Texas and Oklahoma -- twice.

What we're going to be left with is Walmart -- conference shopping in bulk. Tranghese still feels the scars from 2003 when the ACC swooped in and took Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech. It wasn't so much the raid, it was how it was handled.

To this day, Tranghese says he was “lied to and misled.” ACC officials maintain they contacted Tranghese as a courtesy. Tranghese says he is still waiting for that call.

“You don't realize the magnitude of it,” he said. “Conference business is almost like dealing with Wall Street with expansions and mergers.”

The sense of contraction should be obvious. As rivalries, tradition and conferences die, so will the need for those actual butts in seats. Big picture, college football doesn't need ‘em. Sure, there will be exceptions. Nebraska makes north of $4 million per game filling its stadium to capacity for the umpteenth time in a row. The Big House is, well, big.

But as for fans, the stewards of the game have shown clearly they'd rather have you watching than attending. All those prime-time games aren't being staged as a courtesy to the fan; it's to get more TV eyeballs on them. Eight of the top 10 teams in percentage of capacity were down in attendance this season, if only slightly.

“As an old traditionalist, one of the strengths of the SEC is that it had a geographical presence for fans to take a pride in the conference,” said Kramer, the former SEC commissioner.

“Whoever was in the Final Four or the championship game, you heard that ‘SEC' chant. It's not our team, but it's our next door neighbor.”

West Virginia's next-door neighbor in the Big 12 is Iowa State. Only 1,000 miles separates the Mountaineers and their closest conference rival. The Big East's future footprint -- if it has a future -- is … America. The Mountain West -- scattered among seven Western states including Hawaii -- looks practically homogenous.

“You lose what I think made conferences strong in the past,” Kramer said. “I also realize we're in a different world. TV dominates, to a great degree the seats in the stadium. Based on that, you see these decisions being made.”

The presidents had a chance to guide college athletics but have failed miserably. They were basically handed the keys to car a quarter century ago with a series of NCAA policy changes. Since then, we have endured unprecedented scandal, sky-rocketing coaching salaries and a facilities' arms race. Those are all things university CEOs could have controlled. They didn't.

Now their only choice is to sign off on expansion, realignment, the all-out conference raids that pit brother against brother. Their excuse? Balancing books that they put in the red themselves with their inattention.

“Television,” Kramer said. “has changed everything.”

-Location in the Bay Area. One of the most desirable places to live (and coach).
-100000000X better school than Oregon academically (but then again, so is any other school in the Pac-12
laugh.gif
)
-Less pressure to win at Cal than at Oregon
Donors are paying for Tedford's buy-out, if Petersen were actually interested, I think it would get done.
petersen doesnt care about location he has stayed at boise state so long because him and his wife like the small town feel and been able to go out and be fine. they dont get that in in the bay area. location means ZERO to him

-you really bringing up academics like it matters to a HC?

-cal and oregon is about the same you win and people love you and if you lose they will be pissed off its about the same at both places

if he had to pick cal or oregon. oregon has ever advantage over cal, they have new builds just like cal and nike in there back pocket, can offer him more money and give him the small town feel just like boise state.

What no one has mentioned in the conference alignment thing, is that the revenue streams will eventually dry up. What's going to happen then? This entire things is a damn joke.

So revenue streams would have been perfectly fine had teams not shifted conferences?

Once revenue streams start to dry up, you'll probably see conferences shift again, just like they have been in the past few years.

Last edited:
for a big money NFL job and full control of a team like pete left for? naw he would be smart to leave since he could always come back to a college football job

but why ruin a good thing

he the man where he is at, has a team ALWAYS on the national scene, his scheme runs perfect with college football

why would he....

go to pro's, more headache, who knows how your scheme will turn out

Nick Saban had the best explanation on the college o pro coaching transition for successful college coaches

If the current Georgia team was in the PAC 12 the tables would get ran...period....if South Carolina was in that conference with the team they have now with a healthy lattimore..the tables would get ran...straight up....

continue to play Dynasty mode on NCAA

cause you living on a IF/Fantasy

Chip Kelly would be stupid to leave Oregon right now.

for a big money NFL job and full control of a team like pete left for? naw he would be smart to leave since he could always come back to a college football job
Pete Carroll was a NFL HC before he went to USC though. And he left because he knew those Penalties were coming :lol:

Last edited:
Pete Carroll was a NFL HC before he went to USC though. And he left because he knew those Penalties were coming
laugh.gif
and oregon is going to hear from the NCAA soon and NFL teams want chip, he can get a NFL HC job if he wants it. could of had the tampa bay job last year

He did have that Tampa job. Out here, they say that he didn't want to leave without a coach in waiting behind him. I don't know if I believe that, or if I believe Phil Knight called him and threatened his life, either way, he came back. :lol:

Mike I got what you were sayin a couple pages back about Miami skipping bowls cuz the bowls they would get would suck, but technically, they'd be in the ACC title game, and therefore a "shot" at a BCS game, even tho I don't think it would happen. So in a sense, they are giving up a chance at least. Somebody out here that I trust told me that Oregon thinks they did nothing wrong, and that's why they won't self impose a bowl ban on themselves. I'm stunned they think they won't get stung. I don't see what their play is here.

Back
Top Bottom