2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

I don't think ND is the best team in the country but they've handled their business and put themselves in position to be #1 at this point.

I think some people just don't like ND and the nice deal they have with the BCS despite being independent and some may perceive that as an easy road.

Before the season started most thought ND had by far the hardest schedule in the country. I dont think you can fault them because the teams on their schedule are not who we thought they were.

They deserve to be #1, they've earned it.

Cal's top candidates:

Charlie Strong, Louisville: Interviewed for the job 11 years ago when Tedford was hired and was the school’s second choice. Strong has spoken over the years about his desire to land the Cal job during that search, and how disappointed he was that it didn’t happen. He’ll have his choice of jobs this offseason, including a few in the SEC.

James Franklin, Vanderbilt: Has proven he can win at a school with high academic standards, while dealing with a history of poor performance on and off (recruiting) the field. Dynamic personality who has changed the culture at the SEC’s perennial loser.

Willie Taggart, Western Kentucky: A former Stanford assistant who knows the Northern California recruiting trails, and knows what it takes to win (and build a fan base) on the West Coast from his time with Jim Harbaugh. Much like Strong, he, too, will have other offers—probably in the SEC.

Gary Andersen, Utah State: Kyle Whittingham’s top assistant at Utah before leaving for Utah State and rebuilding a struggling program. He’s a defense-first guy (No. 6 nationally in scoring defense), but also understands the value of a spread offense (Aggies averaging 32 points a game).

Mike McIntyre, San Jose State:
Has done the unthinkable at San Jose State, which probably should have given up FBS football a few years ago. The Spartans are relevant again, and McIntyre has quickly assimilated to West Coast recruiting.

I wonder who'll end up at Cal. Hopefully they don't pull an Illinois and fire a coach that was very much as good as they can possibly get, and immediately regret it by hiring someone else and turning into a dumpster fire. Unlikely but still...

Really liking the Ohio State get-up despite the Christmas ornament they will be wearing on their head. Sorry, those stripes on the helmet are obnoxiously big, :lol:

Those jerseys are sick though.

SEC dominates bowl games, :lol:, another myth. Again, the SEC does have elite teams, the ones that benefit from the SEC aura are the mid-tier teams: Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas. Only truly elite teams in the past decade have been Bama, LSU and Florida.

Where these 4 teams contending every year? :lol:

^
IM, I'm not sure but you seem truly sensitive over what gets said SEC's way. And I've made it perfectly clear before that when it comes to Pac-10/12, SC don't belong with that. They are their own. Same way I felt about Miami when they were in the Big East, and then the ACC. (and Independant before that)

Those schools are seperate. ]

But the SEC, even on their "off" years from teams, like Alabama, look how Auburn stepped up a couple years ago, won it, and then dropped back when they lost 2 elite players. Few years before that, didn't they go 13-0 also? I know it's a ways back, but 99 was Tennessee, they've been down since, but they did in fact earn, and win a title in the BCS era. Please show me the Pac-10/12 school outside of USC to do that? There ain't one. Texas and OK each got one from the Big 12. Ohio St got one from the Big 10. Miami and Florida St have one for the Big East and ACC respectively. The SEC has multiple teams with a title, meaning each year, "someone" from the conference steps up, and wins that game. Why no other conferences matchin that?

Myth about bowl games? Myth? :lol: So, they have how many title games in a row, and the only one they lost, was in fact, to another SEC team last year. Otherwise, they'd be perfect, no? So what games are you referring to that make it a myth? Which games specifically?

Question, I don't know all the matchup to which bowls etc that go on, but, if Stanford goes to the Pac 12 game vs UCLA, winner goes Rose Bowl, I think.
And if Bama wins in the SEC game, and goes to the NC, then Oregon can get an at large bid, and the BCS can place teams where they want, could we see an Oregon/Georgia or Florida game? Is that feasible within the way the bowls are aligned and all that? Or do we need this week and the title games to shake out first?

Barkley not looking like elite quarterback prospect

By Bucky Brooks
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Nov. 20, 2012 at 05:59 p.m.

When Matt Barkley returned to USC for his senior year, it was likely with visions of bagging a national championship and the Heisman Trophy before entering the NFL as the No. 1 pick in next April's draft. However, Barkley's performance in the disappointing season that ensued is threatening to send him plummeting down draft boards across the league.

The Trojans are sitting at 7-4 with just one game remaining in the regular season, and USC is out of contention in the Pacific-12 race. Barkley's chances of winning college's top prize, meanwhile, are virtually non-existent, with playmakers like Kansas State's Collin Klein, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel and Notre Dame's Manti Te'o emerging as the main contenders.

Now, it is important to note that Barkley was not a lock to be a top-10 pick a season ago. In fact, scouts told me last spring that Barkley wasn't a cinch to be the third quarterback in the 2012 draft class, despite having a more impressive collegiate résumé than Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill (who went to the Miami Dolphins with the eighth overall pick) and Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden (drafted by the Cleveland Browns at 22nd overall). Evaluators cited Barkley's lack of elite physical tools (height, arm talent and athleticism) as major concerns. Although Barkley was listed at 6-foot-2, 230 pounds, scouts questioned whether he was tall enough to play the position at the next level, and worried that his lack of athleticism would make him a sitting duck in the pocket.
Every Monday, NFL.com college football expert Bucky Brooks looks back on the weekend action and evaluates which prospects are rising and which are sliding.

Scouts also worried about Barkley's lack of elite arm strength. Although he displayed the capacity to make short and intermediate throws with zip and velocity, he didn't blow evaluators away with his deep-ball range, accuracy or touch. Barkley routinely underthrew his receivers on vertical throws, relying on Marqise Lee and Robert Woods to make plays on the ball. Both playmakers were regarded as future elite NFL prospects; some wondered if Barkley's production was a byproduct of their remarkable skills.

With so many questions surrounding him, Barkley decided another year at the collegiate level would help him refine his game and make him a polished quarterback worthy of being selected at the top of the draft.

I've watched Barkley perform throughout his senior season. Here is my assessment of his game and whether he has a legitimate shot at hearing his name called first on draft day:
Arm talent

Barkley is a classic drop-back passer with sound throwing mechanics and a smooth delivery. He shows a compact windup and an over-the-top throwing motion with a quick release. Barkley displays good (but not great) arm strength on intermediate and deep throws. Although his balls tend to flutter on out-breaking routes that are longer than 15 yards, he shows adequate zip and velocity on his throws. Barkley can certainly fit balls into tight windows on intermediate throws inside the numbers, but he lacks the overpowering arm strength to complete the deep comeback from the opposite hash on a rope against tight coverage. The exceptional speed and quickness of NFL defensive backs will result in break-ups or interceptions, unless Barkley shows extraordinary timing and anticipation, releasing the ball well before the receiver comes out of his break.

On deep throws, Barkley shows a 50-to-55-yard throwing range. He has routinely connected with Lee and Nelson Agholor on vertical routes down the field. While most of those completions have resulted from his exceptional timing and anticipation, Barkley has shown the arm strength to throw the ball over the top of the defense when defenders squat on routes. This was particularly evident against Oregon on Nov. 3, when he connected on 75- and 76-yard touchdowns on deep post routes to Lee and Agholor, respectively. In my mind, these throws certainly squelched some of the concern about his deep-ball ability. However, the fallout from "Inflate Gate" (a USC ball boy was reprimanded following that game for deflating footballs, which he later admitted to doing; the use of underinflated balls makes it easier for quarterbacks to throw the ball down the field with greater zip and velocity) could alter that opinion.

With the arm talent to make most of the throws at the next level, Barkley shouldn't have a problem succeeding as a starting quarterback, if he plays to his strengths.
Mobility

Barkley is not the kind of explosive athlete who can beat defenders with his legs on the perimeter. However, he flashes enough mobility and movement skills to be effective within the pocket. Barkley will routinely climb the pocket to avoid penetrating rushers, and his efficient footwork allows him to make accurate throws under duress. When the pocket completely crumbles, Barkley will attempt to escape, but he lacks the speed and quickness to run away from defenders on the perimeter.

Some have questioned Matt Barkley's arm strength.

As a passer on the move, Barkley is nimble enough to make accurate throws on bootlegs and rollouts. He shows the ability to deliver on the run without losing balance, which would allow him to make the most of the movement-based throws in West Coast offensive systems. Given the fact that Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub and Oakland Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer have succeeded in passing games that feature extensive movement in the backfield, Barkley's athleticism shouldn't impact his ability to start in most systems.
Game management

Barkley will enter the NFL with 47 games of starting experience at the major college level. The wealth of knowledge accumulated in those contests will ease Barkley's transition to the pro game, and allow him to quickly adjust to the speed and complexity of facing NFL defenses. Looking at Barkley's career arc, I've been impressed with the way that he manages the game at the line of scrimmage. He has been exposed to hot reads and sight adjustments, and has also utilized audibles to counter potential defensive looks.

In addition, Barkley has called plays from the line of scrimmage in no-huddle and two-minute situations, showcasing his mastery of the offense and knowledge of coverage. The utilization of the hurry-up approach also reflects his keen understanding of game situations and circumstances.

From a decision-making standpoint, Barkley has been mildly disappointing. He has made several errors in big games, leading to a high number of turnovers. While his touchdown-to-interception ratio is a respectable 36:15, the fact that he has thrown two or more picks in six games is disturbing. A quarterback with Barkley's experience should understand the importance of ball security, and he should avoid making risky throws. More importantly, Barkley should understand that tight coverage up the field means a check-down or safety valve is available underneath. Elite NFL quarterbacks operate that way; he has enough experience to know this strategy produces winning results. With nine interceptions in the Trojans' last four games, Barkley hasn't performed as expected; that will certainly affect his grade on draft boards across the league.
Clutch factor

Quarterbacks are ultimately judged on their ability to win big games. Barkley was outstanding in the Trojans' biggest games in 2011, but he has underwhelmed in such showdowns this season. In the Trojans' four losses, Barkley completed just 58.2 percent of his passes, recording 11 touchdowns and eight interceptions. More importantly, he has made poor decisions in the opening moments of games, putting his team in a bind. The most disappointing aspect of his performance was his inability to recognize pressure and coverage prior to the snap. For a senior with four years of starting experience, Barkley should be showing more poise under pressure and performing better in big games. Scouts will go back to the 2011 game tape to see if Barkley's problems are a trend, but his play in meaningful contests this season will give evaluators some pause when considering his prospects as a franchise quarterback.
Conclusion

Barkley was considered a strong possibility as a top-15 pick a year ago, but elected to return to school to hone his game for the pros. He has certainly shown progress in some areas, but he is not the elite quarterback prospect some thought he'd be prior to the season. He is not in the same class as current young standouts Cam Newton (Carolina Panthers), Andrew Luck (Indianapolis Colts) and Robert Griffin III (Washington ********), but he has enough polish and potential to still merit consideration as a pick in the latter half of the first round. Given the number of teams that are desperate for a quarterback, I expect Barkley will come off the board within the first 20 selections of the 2013 draft.

^
IM, I'm not sure but you seem truly sensitive over what gets said SEC's way. And I've made it perfectly clear before that when it comes to Pac-10/12, SC don't belong with that. They are their own. Same way I felt about Miami when they were in the Big East, and then the ACC. (and Independant before that)
But the SEC, even on their "off" years from teams, like Alabama, look how Auburn stepped up a couple years ago, won it, and then dropped back when they lost 2 elite players. Few years before that, didn't they go 13-0 also? I know it's a ways back, but 99 was Tennessee, they've been down since, but they did in fact earn, and win a title in the BCS era. Please show me the Pac-10/12 school outside of USC to do that? There ain't one. Texas and OK each got one from the Big 12. Ohio St got one from the Big 10. Miami and Florida St have one for the Big East and ACC respectively. The SEC has multiple teams with a title, meaning each year, "someone" from the conference steps up, and wins that game. Why no other conferences matchin that?
Myth about bowl games? Myth? :lol: So, they have how many title games in a row, and the only one they lost, was in fact, to another SEC team last year. Otherwise, they'd be perfect, no? So what games are you referring to that make it a myth? Which games specifically?
Question, I don't know all the matchup to which bowls etc that go on, but, if Stanford goes to the Pac 12 game vs UCLA, winner goes Rose Bowl, I think.
And if Bama wins in the SEC game, and goes to the NC, then Oregon can get an at large bid, and the BCS can place teams where they want, could we see an Oregon/Georgia or Florida game? Is that feasible within the way the bowls are aligned and all that? Or do we need this week and the title games to shake out first?

Sensitive? Nah, I like discussions and that is simply what this is. This thread is usually dead during the week so why not discuss something and after the week the SEC had it's a semi-hot topic.

I have nothing against the SEC doing what it's doing, I think it's genius and that compliment isn't laced with sarcasm. I truly think it is, I just wish there would be more interconference games but with the system currently in place it is not going to happen. Everyone is scared to get that one (or two) loss that will push them out of the title game.

I'll state it again, there are truly elite teams in the SEC (Bama, UF, LSU) and they have handled business (exception Bama losing to Utah), however the teams that have benefitted are the Georgia's, South Carolina's, Arkansas, Auburn etc. Not putting UT, Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, UK, in the mix because they have been somewhat irrelevant. Mizzou and aTm are new, so not bunching them in either.

All those titles you mentioned... Bama... UF... LSU... who benefits, the schools that haven't done jack.

*Auburn won, still baffling how a Gene Chizik coached team won a national title, shows you how good that Cam Newton led offense and the Nick Fairly led defense were. Talk about falling from a cliff, damn.

Yes, Jay, Bama/UF/LSU... elite defense and OL all the way. No doubt about that, they beat your *** for 60 minutes. Hard to beat that.

Bucky who? :lol:

I think it's a blessing in disguise if Barkley falls out of the top 15. He has the tools, he just needs to go the Aaron Rodgers route. Denver would be perfect... Pats would be a dream scenario.

^

[COLOR=#red]Great post!!![/COLOR]

Really liking the Ohio State get-up despite the Christmas ornament they will be wearing on their head. Sorry, those stripes on the helmet are obnoxiously big, :lol:

Those jerseys are sick though.

SEC dominates bowl games, :lol:, another myth. Again, the SEC does have elite teams, the ones that benefit from the SEC aura are the mid-tier teams: Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas. Only truly elite teams in the past decade have been Bama, LSU and Florida.

Where these 4 teams contending every year? :lol:

Stop it already, dammit. The SEC DOMINATES in bowl games like no other conference in the country does and it's not even close. Those teams don't have to dominate every year, all that matters is atleast one team will be contending for a NC every single year. No other conference in the country can say they can consistently.

The SEC "Middle tier" are better than every conferences top teams.

Stop it already, dammit. The SEC DOMINATES in bowl games like no other conference in the country does and it's not even close. Those teams don't have to dominate every year, all that matters is atleast one team will be contending for a NC every single year. No other conference in the country can say they can consistently.
The SEC "Middle tier" are better than every conferences top teams.

...and my point is proven, :lol:

ND might play some teams here and there
but lets be honest College football is about that money Notre Dame is top dog in that area across the country!
plus they bring tons of fans/media/money to the BCS if they in the title game
if you see ND undefeated at the end of a BCS season more then likely they will be in the title game unless a SEC team is undefeated or someone who has a hard schedule is also undefeated
Well despite ND having a tougher schedule than both Oregon and K-State they were going to be left out this year if they hadn't lost.. Also with K-State they had two common opponents and ND beat both Oklahoma and Miami more convincingly than K-State.. yet they were stuck behind them.. so i don't think that is true at all..

Well despite ND having a tougher schedule than both Oregon and K-State they were going to be left out this year if they hadn't lost.. Also with K-State they had two common opponents and ND beat both Oklahoma and Miami more convincingly than K-State.. yet they were stuck behind them.. so i don't think that is true at all..

so you think ND and the money and what they bring to the table plays no part in the BCS in College football?

come on man its been said since the olden days ND got that TV and behind the scenes pull HEAVY

I'll state it again, there are truly elite teams in the SEC (Bama, UF, LSU) and they have handled business (exception Bama losing to Utah), however the teams that have benefitted are the Georgia's, South Carolina's, Arkansas, Auburn etc. Not putting UT, Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, UK, in the mix because they have been somewhat irrelevant. .

Just curious, if you put the teams mentioned in the PAC-12, where do they finish?

(v.s. the other teams in the PAC-12.)

Last edited:
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

I know Chris Petersen’s name ALWAYS gets tossed out. Heard from a source close to him 2 jobs that’d tempt him: Oregon & Cal.

If Georgia or South Carolina was in the PAC 12 the damn tables would get ran...the way the PAC 12 play defense hell...ole miss would look good over there

I'm not saying Petersen will go to Cal, but while the Oregon is clearly a better football program, there are also some factors that may push a coach toward Cal rather than Oregon.
I think Oregon is actually better off promoting their o-coordinator (Helfrich) than hiring Petersen if it came down to it.

What's exciting for Cal is the next coach will have a great opportunity- new facilities, new stadium, great location, great chance to be successful. It's not a bad spot to be in at all, a good coach can definitely turn it around.

Petersen would be awesome but I'm not crossing my fingers.

I'm not saying Petersen will go to Cal, but while the Oregon is clearly a better football program, there are also some factors that may push a coach toward Cal rather than Oregon.
I think Oregon is actually better off promoting their o-coordinator (Helfrich) than hiring Petersen if it came down to it.
What's exciting for Cal is the next coach will have a great opportunity- new facilities, new stadium, great location, great chance to be successful. It's not a bad spot to be in at all, a good coach can definitely turn it around.
Petersen would be awesome but I'm not crossing my fingers.
and what would that be?

if cal had to question if they could even afford to fire tedford how will they come up with the money to get petersen out of boise state? UCLA was willing to pay him 4 million a year, where you getting that money from?

Last edited:
The NCAA has delivered a new and disturbing ultimatum to numerous former University of Miami football players: Either talk to us or we’ll believe Nevin Shapiro’s claims against you.

The NCAA last week mailed a letter to former players that allegedly committed NCAA violations by accepting gifts from Shapiro, including dinners, prostitutes, trips to nightclubs, cash and other perks. Shapiro told the NCAA that 114 players committed violations; Yahoo previously identified 72 of them.

Only players who were playing college football at the time the investigation was launched are required to speak to the NCAA. Thirteen current or former UM football players did so in 2011. So the players who were sent the letter last week are no longer playing college football; some are in the NFL.

The letter, which I obtained, gives the players a Friday deadline to speak to the NCAA. What’s surprising is that the NCAA states in the letter that it will conclude the players committed violations if they do not respond.

UM officials were privately hopeful that many of the allegations made against players who left UM several years ago cannot be corroborated. Unless the NCAA is bluffing, it appears it might take Shapiro’s word on these claims unless the players refute them.

In recent days, several players and their attorneys have been trying to decide whether to speak to the NCAA. Even Tuesday, one said he's not sure what he will do. So it’s unclear how many players will speak to the NCAA.

Here’s how the letter to one player attorney reads:

"The purpose of this letter is to apprise you that the NCAA enforcement staff is requesting to schedule an interview with your clients regarding their knowledge of or involvement in possible NCAA violations concerning the University of Miami, Florida, football program.

"Interviewing your clients is important in order for the enforcement staff to conduct a thorough investigation, and both the staff and the institution request you and your clients’ cooperation in this matter. However, at this time, all attempts to schedule and execute interviews with [blank] have been unsuccessful. As a result, this letter serves as a formal and final request by the NCAA enforcement staff for interviews with [blank] to be completed by Nov. 23, 2012.

“If we do not hear back from you or your clients by that time, the staff will consider the non-response as your client’s admission of involvement in NCAA violations. You may contact me at [blank] in order to arrange this interview. Your assistance in this matter is appreciated.”

Sincerely,

Molly Richman,

Assistant Director of Enforcement

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...phins-marlins-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

NCAA serious?

^
72 will meet with the NCAA with there own lawyers present

nothing wil really be said

NCAA back at square one

Back
Top Bottom