2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

[h1]Report: Georgia Tech approved by Big Ten to become 15th member[/h1]
By Luke Zimmermann on Nov 30, 10:48a 3

20121117_lbm_aw5_433.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Could Georgia Tech be the next member of the Big Ten? - Josh D. Weiss-US PRESSWIRE

Just a day after the NCAA approved Georgia Tech's waiver to become a bowl team even if they finish 6-7, a report from an ACC writer indicates more Big Ten tectonic shift may be on the way.

Facebook

Twitter

So much for the Big Ten being happy at 14 (or not, based on that one anonymous Michigan administrator). The scuttlebutt for the last 12-16 hours has been that something was going on between Georgia Tech and the Big Ten regarding conference realignment, but it hasn't all come from sources you'd bank on being in the know. The first came yesterday evening when a West Virginia Mountaineers blog of all places reported that movement could be in the works:
Sources at Ohio State University tell me that GT has already applied to the Big 10 and received an offer. If that's true I would expect GT to decide shortly after the ACC championship game.
(Emphasis added for WHAAAAAAAA?)

Not too terribly long after that, we saw some speculation in our own comment threads after an FM sports talk show host confirmed he was hearing similar:
Word from calls today is that another current #ACC team will announce a move with 7-10 days to the #B1G. This would be a HUGE domino.
Still, those were easy enough to dismiss. But with enough smoke, you have to eventually wonder how far the fire could be off. Today, 247Sports's Tim Matty reports that Georgia Tech to the Big Ten could be a thing after all:
Sources are indicating that the #B1G has approved #GT as its 15th member. Stay tuned... @CFravel247 @Clemson247
He'd back track a bit to those hounding him on Twitter not long after, but stay firm that he did believe something indeed was going on and the situation merited closer monitoring.

Besides the most interesting subtext (like, for one, how do all these guys from areas with little to nothing to do with the Big Ten have so many midwest athletics sources?), the other is why the league would move so soon with Maryland's legal battle with the ACC not even coming to a head yet. While I imagine the exit fees will get negotiated down out of court to something in the $20-25 million dollar range, even $50 million would be a lot for the Big Ten to ostensibly front for the likes of Maryland and Georgia Tech. All for the DC and Atlanta Big Ten alums living in those areas' eyeballs, one would have to speculate.

Even still, it'd be easy enough to dismiss since team #16 is no sure thing either (Boston College? Virginia? Are any of these athletic programs homeruns enough beyond simply a market standpoint to make all this shuffling truly beneficial?) But you also have to keep in mind that Jeff Ermann, the publisher of InsideMDSports, Maryland's 247sports representative that first broke the Maryland to the Big Ten story, had sources a week and a half ago indicating Georgia Tech was vying for an invite. It's probably worth continuing to take this all with a fairly large grain of salt, but with so many ostensibly unrelated individuals making similar claims, you have to at least wonder.

From Ivan Miasel in his SEC 3-point stance:

"The Black Coaches Association deserves a lot of credit for holding universities publicly accountable by grading their hiring practices. The more inclusive the candidate pool, the better the grade. Yet in the 2012 report released Thursday, Texas A&M, which hired Kevin Sumlin, an African-American, received an F. Why? Because A&M didn’t participate in the BCA’s reporting process. Well, so what? The grade reflects more poorly on the BCA than on the university. It makes the BCA look petty."

So we get an F for hiring Mike Sherman without interviewing anybody else, then get an F for interviewing a lot of candidates - a few of which were minorities - and ultimately hiring an African-American coach :lol:

Last edited:
Ah. So G-Tech is leaving with another school pending as well.

I guess lil ole Cincinnati may have a shot at joining.

Morgan State's head coach found out he's being fired through a forwarded email. Stay classy.

Colorado is going after Bronco Mendenhall and Butch Jones, but claimed that money was a problem during Embree's tenure.

^ :lol: or it could just be UConn

Very possible. But if two leave, shouldn't they add two as replacements? UConn Ans Cincy?

Between the ACC and Big12, which one do you all think makes the most sense for that conference and Cincy?

i don't see why the loser of the SEC championship doesn't get the capital one bowl instead. it still blows my mind that florida will get a BCS game instead of either bama or UGA. leaving 2 of those 3 in BCS, one in the capital one bowl, then texas a&m in the cotton bowl.

then kansas state and oklahoma both also in bcs games, leaves texas for the cotton bowl.

GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!

Morgan State's head coach found out he's being fired through a forwarded email. Stay classy.

Colorado is going after Bronco Mendenhall and Butch Jones, but claimed that money was a problem during Embree's tenure.

Well Embree was the lowest paid coach in the Pac 12 by a wide margin and they had to raise money for Dan Hawkins buyout 2 years ago.

CU is definitely on tough times.

i don't see why the loser of the SEC championship doesn't get the capital one bowl instead. it still blows my mind that florida will get a BCS game instead of either bama or UGA. leaving 2 of those 3 in BCS, one in the capital one bowl, then texas a&m in the cotton bowl.
then kansas state and oklahoma both also in bcs games, leaves texas for the cotton bowl.
GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!
Let it go brother. Sure, it would be fun to beat Texas in a bowl game, but we gain absolutely nothing playing them right now. Let them earn the Cotton Bowl first.

GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!
Let it go brother. Sure, it would be fun to beat Texas in a bowl game, but we gain absolutely nothing playing them right now. Let them earn the Cotton Bowl first.

i mean yeah i want to play texas specifically. but a big part of it is that i'd rather drive up to dallas from college station than to fly to orlando from houston. :\

graduating this december though, nice time to ask my parents for a graduation trip...to orlando :pimp:

My liver and my wallet need the game to be in Orlando. It's much easier for me to tell myself to watch the game at home if it's in Orlando. That still doesn't save the liver though :lol: :smh:

PAC 12 is the best conference.

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State

Eff that other conference that's only defense and low scoring and win games on 4 or 5 field goals.

We are Pac 12

We are PAC 12

We are PAC 12

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom