2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

o85Uu.jpg

Touché Gators fans :lol:

Another wedding this past Saturday = another Saturday sans College Football ......:smh:

I do enjoy watching the games on DVR though, fast forward through all the BS and have football to watch all week.

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn has announced his decision to retire from football following his latest injury, this one suffered to his non-throwing shoulder in Friday night's 27-20 overtime loss at Utah State. Wynn made the decision after consulting with his father and Utah coach Kyle Whittingham.

"It's tough, no doubt," said Whittingham, while praising Wynn's contributions and toughness.

Wynn suffered the injury after getting hit following an incompletion with 1:04 remaining in the first half and the Utes trailing 13-0. Backup Jon Hays took over and played most of the second half. True freshman Travis Wilson also saw action.

Hays and Wilson are listed as co-starters for Saturday's game against BYU.

The loss dropped Wynn's record as Utah's starting quarterback to 14-7. His career highlights include being named the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl MVP, capping the most successful season in Utah history by a true freshman quarterback. Wynn completed 104-of-179 passes for 1,329 yards and eight touchdowns.

As sophomore, Wynn made 10 starts — completing 186-of-299 passes for 2,334 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Injuries took an even bigger toll last season. Wynn made four starts before being sidelined midway through a loss to Washington. He completed 66-of-116 passes for 727 yards in 2011.

Wynn battled back from his third shoulder surgery since the spring of 2010 to reclaim his starting job this year. The NCAA granted him a medical hardship as well, giving him two seasons of eligibility.

Pop Saunders is back this week. Need him back with Riggs out and  Evans probable. 

Smoke on Maggitt and Lathers not playing Sat 
nerd.gif

Gunna,

Lookin forward to the game this weekend.  How's your O-Line look this year?  I ask b/c we are going to do everything we can to shut down Bray first and wr's second.

Gunna,
Lookin forward to the game this weekend.  How's your O-Line look this year?  I ask b/c we are going to do everything we can to shut down Bray first and wr's second.
the OLine is the best Unit the Vols have.its the strength of the team

Saw it on another board... from a supposed vol fan too :lol:
lol
If you have questions about Vols, ask me, If I dont know, I know people who do know.

Thriller Miller better be ready to throw.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/10/3307386/arkansas-football-john-l-smith-louisiana-monroe

The Underdog Masterpiece: What's Next For Arkansas And UL Monroe?

LITTLE ROCK, AR - SEPTEMBER 8: Fans of the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks celebrate after the a game against the Arkansas Razorbacks at War Memorial Stadium on September 8, 2012 in Little Rock, Arkansas. The Warhawks defeated the Razorbacks 34-31. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

Bookmark and Share

By Bill Connelly - NCAA Football, Basketball and Tennis Contributor

In the face of a monstrous upset bid, UL Monroe head coach Todd Berry smiled, and Arkansas offensive coordinator Paul Petrino raged. Guess who won.

Like SBNation.com on Facebook.

Sep 10, 2012 - On fourth-and-11 from the Arkansas 40, with time winding down in the third quarter, UL Monroe quarterback Kolton Browning twirled out of the pocket, somehow escaped a couple of closing Arkansas pass rushers, and found Tavarese Maye near the sideline. Maye caught Browning's pass and plunged ahead for the first down near the sideline, and Todd Berry's Warhawks lived to see another down. Seven plays later, on fourth down again, Browning found Kevin Steed for a one-yard touchdown to bring ULM to within 28-21 with 14:08 remaining.

Bomani Jones on Arkansas and John L. Smith.

Browning's escape act was one of many on the night, but it perfectly encapsulated Arkansas' miserable evening in Little Rock, which eventually ended in a devastating 34-31 overtime loss.

1. Todd Berry called the perfect underdog game. I have made it known for a while that I am an enormous fan of ULM head coach Todd Berry. So many times, a coach at a small, disadvantaged school fails to fully acknowledge the hand his program has been dealt. But since he took over in Monroe in 2010, Berry has done everything he can to approach the game in a different way. From my 2011 preview of the Warhawks:

ULM is one of the biggest 'Davids' in college football. The resources at the two Directional Louisiana State schools (UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette) are, like the money, minimal, and to win at a program like ULM means taking anything but a direct approach. Former coach Charlie Weatherbie tried his best, run-run-running his way to reasonable success -- the Warhawks won between four and six games in each of his last six seasons -- but could never quite break into the contending class in the Sun Belt (the nation's most David-like conference). He gave way to Todd Berry in 2010; Berry's last head coaching stint: a failed four years at fellow underdog Army.

In 2010, Berry did his best to do things a bit off-kilter -- running when opponents expected the pass, passing when opponents expected the run, keeping things fast-paced (possibly not the best idea for an underdog), employing the underdog-friendly 3-3-5 defense, etc. -- and the results were decent; despite low overall quality, ULM won five games, three by a touchdown or less, and came within a one-point loss to UL-Lafayette of finishing bowl-eligible.

And from this year's preview:

Berry enters year three professing that he has the program right where he wants it. His defenses have been salty, and his offenses creative, but in an improving Sun Belt, however, the bar is a little higher than it used to be.

I am rooting for Berry to succeed for one simple reason: I want creativity and aggression to be rewarded. Nothing is more depressing to watch than a David trying to win games like Goliath would. Taking risks occasionally leads to calamity, but if they pay off enough, it might encourage other coaches to take similar risks.

Coaches outside of the SEC, anyway.

On Saturday night, Berry painted his masterpiece. ULM went for it on fourth down an incredible seven times and converted an even more incredible six of them. In the second half, the Warhawks converted on fourth-and-10 (19-yard run by Browning), fourth-and-11 (the aforementioned pass to Maye), fourth-and-goal (1-yard touchdown pass), fourth-and-10 (23-yard touchdown pass to Brent Leonard with 47 seconds remaining) and fourth-and-1 (game-winning 16-yard touchdown run by Browning). That's not supposed to happen. If the teams lined up and played again this coming Saturday, it almost certainly wouldn't happen again. But Berry knew it was the only way ULM was going to win this game, and unlike so many college coaches, he said "Screw it," and rolled the dice.
Related: The Key Drive: UL Monroe 34, Arkansas 31.

Within reason, ULM's game plan was beautifully aggressive. Attack Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson (and when Wilson gets hurt, attack his backup, too) as much as possible, even if it means you risk some long gains. Sticking to your strengths ("We can't run the ball? Fine. We'll have our quarterback throw it 67 times, then rip off some perfect scrambles when the defensive line over-pursues."), we'll be preternaturally aggressive in our play-calling, pursuing fourth-down conversions every time we think we have a chance to score. Arkansas will either stiffen or blink.

2. Arkansas blinked. In the fourth quarter, during one of the many times the camera caught Arkansas offensive coordinator Paul Petrino yelling at his offensive line, his quarterback, and anybody near him, all I could think of was the Miracle On Ice. The USSR coach, flipping out because his dominant team was trailing, subbed out his all-world goalie, Vladislav Tretiak, after a goal that wasn't entirely Tretiak's fault. In the face of a determined underdog, he briefly lost his mind, and it hurt his team significantly.

Why this analogy? Because when ULM scored to cut the lead to 28-14, Petrino completely lost the plot.

On Arkansas' first series with Allen behind center, Arkansas ran the ball on three of four first downs; Allen completed some big-time passes on second-and-14 and first-and-15, and the Hogs scored to go up, 28-7. That was enough for Petrino to attempt to turn Allen loose despite the circumstances. Arkansas passed on seven of its last nine first downs; those seven passes netted this passing line: 2-for-7 for 17 yards and an interception. Arkansas' last seven possessions ended in five punts, a pick, and an overtime field goal. The line was by no means blocking particularly well for running back Knile Davis and company, but instead of milking a lead, Petrino called plays like his team was trailing. Petrino clammed up, interim head coach John L. Smith looked sad and worried, the defense just barely missed on quite a few stops, and Arkansas first lost confidence, then lost control of the game. Among other things, the incompletions Allen threw kept extra seconds on the clock, and when ULM got the ball at their 10 near the end of regulation, they had enough time to drive 90 yards for the tying score.

During a timeout before what ended up being the game's final play, a 16-yard, fourth-down touchdown run by Browning, Todd Berry said some quick words to his team, and as the players began firing each other up, Berry simply grinned. This was a masterpiece almost three years in the making. UL-Monroe, a program that has never finished with a winning record or attended a bowl game since joining FBS, was about to knock off a Top 10 team. His team was about to dogpile in the end zone. His fans were about to start weeping in the Little Rock stands. And the look on his face suggested Berry knew it. It was a wonderful moment before an even more wonderful moment.

So what's next? For ULM, the underdog quest continues. The Warhawks visit Auburn this coming Saturday, then host Baylor the following Friday night before conference play begins. With both Arkansas State and Florida International looking iffy, it does look like a run at a Sun Belt title could be in the cards if Berry can manifest this moment into three months of solid play. But there is still not much margin for error.

As for Arkansas, in my 2012 preview of the Hogs, I couldn't hide my creeping skepticism.

There will be drama, but will there be another 11 (or more) wins? I'm not sure I see it. The Nitro button is notoriously fickle, and if the Hogs toe the line again this year, they will slip up -- the road slate is just too difficult. And even if they beat either Alabama or LSU, I can't see them beating both. The Hogs will field another strong, entertaining, occasionally devastating team this fall, and they will be bigger and stronger than they were a year ago, but I'm struggling with the hype a bit here.

The defense still seemed shaky to me heading into 2012, and a late surge couldn't mask the fact that Arkansas was only average to above average for most of the 2011 season's first two months. I didn't expect the Hogs to live up to Top 10 hype … but I also didn't see them losing to UL-Monroe.

The narrative has shifted, to say the least. Heading into Saturday afternoon, the Hogs simply needed to take out a big underdog, then prepare for an enormous battle with No. 1 Alabama. They were going to be lavished with a week's worth of ultra-friendly media coverage, and some experts were inevitably going to tell you why they were perfectly built to beat the Tide.

Instead, their quarterback got hurt (he is day-to-day), they lost a game they had no business losing, and the reality show that is the John L. Smith Experiment is threatening to run off the rails in mid-September. Perhaps Arkansas rallies; perhaps the Hogs throw a serious scare (or more) into Alabama and redeem their season. Perhaps a visit from Nick Saban and company is the best way to snap out of a Fayetteville funk. Or perhaps the coming weeks will feature a story line so much more negative than anybody expected to encounter in 2012.

Last edited:
I got faith in Braxton's arm. See it being a low-scoring, defensive affair. Something like 20-17 Buckeyes, hopefully.

Richt-Richardson.jpg

I do want to give credit where credit is due. Sheldon Richardson, the Missouri defensive lineman who infamously coined that phrase for Georgia, came up to Bulldogs coach Mark Richt after the game to apologize. Pretty impressive considering how easy it could have been for him to just slink off to the Tigers’ locker room.

go to 1:20 UGA fans going Ham Chanting "Old Man Football"

Dre, your boy.

Bellamy takes the hard road back at East Arizona

12:24 AM, Sep 10, 2012

Sometimes these stories don’t have happy final chapters, but Mike Bellamy is intent on making his end in success.

He might even be a model for other talented football players out of high school who have trouble with the transition to college and have to go to a junior college to get their grades in line with their hopes for the future.

“I didn’t come here thinking, ‘I want to be a role model,’” Bellamy said on his cellphone Sunday afternoon, “but I do know what I have to do and I’m doing it. If I keep on with it, sure, I hope others learn from me, that would be cool.”

Bellamy, one of the more highly recruited running backs out of high school two years ago, was a special case at Clemson last year when he was a freshman. He was never introduced to the media, never made available for interviews, never allowed to field questions like other players after a game.

When reporters would ask about Bellamy and his progress, they were given generalized answers that were short on specifics and long on vague references to Bellamy being a good kid who needed to overcome some bad decisions.

Eventually, all the talk fell hard on reality last May, two weeks after wide receiver Sammy Watkins’ arrest, when the school announced Bellamy had been ruled academically ineligible and wouldn’t be back for the 2012 season.

“I didn’t have my grades in focus,” Bellamy said, “there were things in spring (semester) I should have done that I didn’t do and there’s no excuses on my part for that. I found out I had to go a harder road if I wanted to play football.”

At the time it happened, Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney sounded as though Bellamy had improved in the classroom when he said, “I am proud of the improvements Mike Bellamy made in the spring semester in a number of areas . . . but, in the end he came up short academically.”

The road back first took him to East Mississippi Community College, last year’s national champions, but after he got there he found the offense was designed in a spread system that relied heavily on passing.

“It was good people there,” Bellamy said, “but they said they throw all the time and they wanted to move me to a wide receiver, whereas I was still wanting to run the football, that’s what I like best.”

With the help of a high school coach and some friends, Bellamy began searching for a better fit and came up with East Arizona Community College, the Gila Monsters, who run a triple option wishbone that is familiar to Clemson fans.

“If you’ve seen Georgia Tech, you’ve seen our offense,” said East Arizona Coach John O’Mera, whose father – now an assistant on his staff – jumped on the wishbone back in the 1970s. “It’s all we’ve ever done, this is my ninth year here, we’ve run it all the time and it’s what I came up on.

“Put it this way,” O’Mera said, “if you’re a running back and you are serious about playing but you need to get your grades up, this is not a bad place to be; it’s not paradise, but you’ll have a chance to prove yourself.”

That seems to be exactly what Bellamy is doing.

In the Gila Monsters’ first game two weeks ago, he carried once for 69 yards and a touchdown and had another long one called back on a penalty. Saturday afternoon, in the second game against Scottsdale Community College – we know them as the Fighting Artichokes – Bellamy carried two more times and scored another touchdown of more than 50 yards.

“I really thought I had another one on my other carry,” Bellamy said, “but I got tangled up with the safety a little bit and I sort of stumbled and lost my balance.

“But two touchdowns on three carries isn’t bad, right?” Bellamy said, laughing. “You think I can keep up that pace all year? If I do, I think I’ll have some choices.”

His coach thinks, for Bellamy, football is the easy part.

“The best thing about him from my perspective, is his attitude,” O’Mera said. “Coaches at this level can tell lots of stories about guys coming down from the big schools, having an attitude and becoming more a problem than a help.

“I’ll be honest,” he said. “Our weight room is nothing, our locker room is awful, it just is what it is, there are many high schools with better facilities than ours, but if you want to come here and work, we can help. Mike has come in with no complaints, a smile on his face, he wants to be a part of this.

“I won’t get the first academic checks until next week, but I would have heard by now if (Bellamy) wasn’t going to class. He’s has all the talent anyone could want, I think he’s going to make it back.”

Bellamy sees that, too.

“It’s not great here,” he said, “but it’s OK, you know? We’re all in it together. It’s like it toughens you up to be here, but that’s good, I’m just staying hungry, going to class and playing football.

“It’s fun to play,” he said, “it really is, that’s all I ever wanted, just a chance to play. Now I know there’s a little more involved, but I’m doing what I have to do in class, so it’s all good.”

Would he come back to Clemson?

“You think Coach Swinney wants me back?” Bellamy said, punctuating the sentence with a laugh. “I sure don’t know what’s going to happen but if I do what I need to do, I hope in December there will be a line of people interested.”

One day at a time, Mike, there’s work to be done, December will come soon enough.

I hope he gets it together and ends up somewhere, at least so he gets his degree and doesn't end up as a statistic. Kid apparently had a REAL rough childhood.

Back
Top Bottom