2014-15 Lakers Season Thread (21-61) KAT

This summer, if the chance comes, Love, Rondo, Neither, or Both?

• Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rondo

• Neither

• Both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually wouldn't mind Beverly. I think he's restricted too, but Morey has already demonstrated he won't tie up money to a non-star if he think it's an overpay or bad contact moving forward.

I would guess at least $7-8M? Not sure he fetches more unless there's a team that badly needs a PG that can defend and hit threes. Oh wait...

Last edited:
PGs & Championships...

You don't need an All-Star PG to win, but you certainly need someone who can distribute the ball effectively.

See Bron in Miami
Lamar & Kobe in LA. Both could be distributors if you needed. But Lakers more so needed Kobe to go off for 30 a night.

I'd EZ pass on Reggie.

I'd also pass on Rondo, unless they figure out a way to get Marc Gasol with him. Rondo, Kobe, Randle, Gasol is getting you in the dance. If no Gasol, then no Rondo, and I'd overpay for a DeAndre Jordan. I like his fit with Randle much more than Asik. I like Asik, and his game on defense, but he always seems like a clog to me on offense. I'll have to catch some Pelicans games to see if he works well with The Brow offensively, or does Asik just standing there mean nothing because Brow is so ridiculously good.

I would guess at least $7-8M? Not sure he fetches more unless there's a team that badly needs a PG that can defend and hit threes. Oh wait...

A couple months ago, I would say he'd get less because of IT2's contract.

But since the cap is going up so much, he will get pretty much the same as IT2.

Bring back our Draft Pick Pat Bev

Last edited:

MJ won with steve kerr as his pg

kobe won with fisher

lebron won with mario chalmers

no reason to overpay a pg, all we need is a pat bev type to play hard defense and space the floor

getting an allstar pg is a waste of money 
Big, BIG difference: MJ had a great teammate and a great coach.

Kobe had a great teammate and a great coach.

Bron had a great teammate and a great coach.

Kobe has... Lin. And Scott. 
laugh.gif

I totally agree that a great PG isn't NECESSARY for a championship... SO LONG AS there's another dominant player and a great coach.

Like, if we had CP3, I don't think it would be right to say "Great PGs are overrated. We won't win as long as we have a great PG. We need a Kerr/Fisher/Chalmers type."

2 strong teammates + a strong coach

Whatever position those 2 strong teammates happen to be is fine.

3 is apparently what it takes these days, though.
laugh.gif

Do you guys understand how silly it is to make blanket statement about which positions you need and don't need to win? :lol:

You don't "need" positions, you "need" good players.

It's 2014, you need a primary play maker on the perimeter on the interior and you need rim protection, what positions you get those things from is basically irrelevant.

Last edited:
Do you guys understand how silly it is to make blanket statement about which positions you need and don't need to win?
laugh.gif

You don't "need" positions, you "need" good players.

It's 2014, you need a primary play maker on the perimeter on the interior and you need rim protection, what positions you get those things from is basically irrelevant.
This.

Having a good coach and good teammates is a given, without those pieces we could sign superman and not win a championship

most championship teams have a top 5 player in the league as the primary playmaker (Kobe, Jordan, wade, bron)

Generally (basically 100% of the time) teams with all time great sg/sf win championships over all time great pgs, the major exception to this is magic who was the size of a sf

I don't mind if we can get a big pg like Westbrook but we are not going to win a championship when our best player is the smallest guy on the court

I'm at the theatre about to watch interstellar so I'll get into why a championship level team has no need for a guy to average 10+ assists per game

Having a good coach and good teammates is a given, without those pieces we could sign superman and not win a championship

most championship teams have a top 5 player in the league as the primary playmaker (Kobe, Jordan, wade, bron)

Generally (basically 100% of the time) teams with all time great sg/sf win championships over all time great pgs, the major exception to this is magic who was the size of a sf

I don't mind if we can get a big pg like Westbrook but we are not going to win a championship when our best player is the smallest guy on the court

I'm at the theatre about to watch interstellar so I'll get into why a championship level team has no need for a guy to average 10+ assists per game

You are aware that 6-2 Tony Parker and the Spurs just obliterated Lebron James team?

Or the Chauncy Billips pistons beating the Shaq and Kobe lakers, or isiah thomas or the detroit pistons ect ect

Like you know that these things happened you right? you get that right?

plus what your saying is just factually inaccurate, statistically SG probably the weakest histrionically. Michael and Kobe are outliers. and the other 3 non center positions are relatively even.

The positions are irrelevant you need good players.

Tony Parker wasn't the Spurs primary catalyst though

The Spurs and Pistons were balanced teams

The entire spurs offense is built around Tony and Manu attacking out of spread pick adn roll sets, all the plays are predicated on Tony's and manus decision making and Tony was the primary option of course he was the catalyst.

You need good players. The positions don't matter.

Tony was not at the same level of catalyst as Jordan, Kobe, Lebron or Wade

Basically to me there are 3 main positions.in the history of the NBA....facilitator, scoring wing and a scoring big.

I think what seaman up is saying that the scoring wing has been the dominant position in the past 20 seasons in terms of winning championships.....Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Wade

Tony was not at the same level of catalyst as Jordan, Kobe, Lebron or Wade

Basically to me there are 3 main positions.in the history of the NBA....facilitator, scoring wing and a scoring big.

I think what seaman up is saying that the scoring wing has been the dominant position in the past 20 seasons in terms of winning championships.....Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Wade

you are making arbitrary distinctions.

Tony Parker was the primary offensive option, his team beat a big wing or scoring wing or whatever you call it.

You win because you have good player the positions don't matter.

correlation =/= causation.

Last edited:
Tony Parker wasn't even the best Spurs player in the 2014 NBA Finals

The Spurs could possibly have won the series without Tony Parker there's no way Jordan, Kobe, Lebron and Wades team win without them

The Spurs won besides they were a balanced team that outplayed and out schemed the Heat.

Let's not act like it's all or even the majority of Tony Parkers play

There's a reason he didn't win the NBA Finals MVP

Last edited:
Tony Parker wasn't even the best Spurs player in the 2014 NBA Finals

The Spurs could possibly have won the series without Tony Parker there's no way Jordan, Kobe, Lebron and Wades team win without them

The Spurs won besides they were a balanced team that outplayed and out schemed the Heat.

Let's not act like it's all or even the majority of Tony Parkers play :lol:

There's a reason he didn't win the NBA Finals MVP

They wouldn't have made it to the finals without tony.

They didn't run any plays for Kawhi, the offence is built around Tony and manu, Pop and tim have said as much

You win becaus eyou have the best team this is always the case, The bulls didn't win because they had a scoring wing they won becuase they 3 HOFers, great roll players, and a top 3 coach all time. Lakers won not because of a big wing becuas he had shaq, pau, lamar, bynum, phil ect ect.

The positions the production comes from doesn't matter.

the 5 greatest offence in the history of the NBA 4 of the 5 had all time great PG's so I don't think having a really good PG is a bad thing.

Steve's letter to the fans:

I definitely don't want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.

I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy - especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor - but maybe I can bring some clarity.

I've always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years I've worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously it's been a disaster on both fronts but I've never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally.

I understand why some fans are disappointed. I haven't been able to play a lot of games or at the level we all wanted. Unfortunately that's a part of pro sports that happens every year on every team. I wish desperately it was different. I want to play more than anything in the world. I've lost an incredible amount of sleep over this disappointment.

Competitiveness, professionalism, naiveté and hope that at some point I'd turn a corner has kept me fighting to get back. As our legendary trainer Gary Vitti, who is a close friend, told me, 'You're the last to know' - and my back has shown me the forecast over the past 18-20 months. To ignore it any longer is irresponsible. But that doesn't mean that life stops.

This may be hard for people to understand unless you've played NBA basketball, but there is an incredible difference between this game and swinging a golf club, hiking, even hitting a tennis ball or playing basketball at the park. Fortunately those other activities aren't debilitating, but playing an NBA game usually puts me out a couple of weeks. Once you're asked to accelerate and decelerate with Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving it is a completely different demand.

I'm doing what I've always done which is share a bit of my off-court life in the same way everyone else does. Going forward I hope we all can refocus our energies on getting behind these Lakers. This team will be back and Staples will be rocking.

Yes you need great players that can make up a good team that is a given

The point is a great scoring wing has a higher impact then a great facilitator

A great scoring wing and a great scoring wing have a greater impact then a great facilitator

This has been debated before and I've never seen a compelling argument to change my position

I feel like a great scoring wing and scoring big can facilitate when needed but a great facilitator can never score when needed like a scoring big or wing can

Last edited:
Steve's letter to the fans:
I definitely don't want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.

I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy - especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor - but maybe I can bring some clarity.

I've always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years I've worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously it's been a disaster on both fronts but I've never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally.

I understand why some fans are disappointed. I haven't been able to play a lot of games or at the level we all wanted. Unfortunately that's a part of pro sports that happens every year on every team. I wish desperately it was different. I want to play more than anything in the world. I've lost an incredible amount of sleep over this disappointment.

Competitiveness, professionalism, naiveté and hope that at some point I'd turn a corner has kept me fighting to get back. As our legendary trainer Gary Vitti, who is a close friend, told me, 'You're the last to know' - and my back has shown me the forecast over the past 18-20 months. To ignore it any longer is irresponsible. But that doesn't mean that life stops.

This may be hard for people to understand unless you've played NBA basketball, but there is an incredible difference between this game and swinging a golf club, hiking, even hitting a tennis ball or playing basketball at the park. Fortunately those other activities aren't debilitating, but playing an NBA game usually puts me out a couple of weeks. Once you're asked to accelerate and decelerate with Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving it is a completely different demand.

I'm doing what I've always done which is share a bit of my off-court life in the same way everyone else does. Going forward I hope we all can refocus our energies on getting behind these Lakers. This team will be back and Staples will be rocking.

embarassed.gif

tired.gif

Last edited:
Osh, save yourself brother, no joke, save yourself.....

:lol:

why do you constantly do this? always implying that dudes aren't "intelligent" enough to hold a basketball conversation.

both sides are making fair points, but here you are with your slick commentary.

The guy just said the Spurs could win without Tony Parker no prob. I'm gonna go on that limb, that's not a fair point. :lol:

And sorry that it offends you, me trying to spare a non Laker fan from a frustrating night of typing. But I like Osh, I'm tryin to help him avoid an argument he certainly will feel remorse for later. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom