• 45-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Melo is a great player , he's not perfect but who is ?

I'd scream until I lose my voice if Melo wearing that purple n gold next season , he's really getting a bad rap with this defense talk but hey if that helps him get on the team then **** it.

Easily one of the best players in the league seems like a no brainer to me.

Still doubt he's on our team next year but those reports make me wonder.

Kobe back from Europe for Melo pitch
Updated: July 3, 2014, 9:13 AM ET
By Ramona Shelburne | ESPN.com

Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant flew in late Wednesday night from a European vacation so he could play a key part in the team's pitch to free-agent forward Carmelo Anthony on Thursday, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bryant has a long history and friendship with Anthony and has been courting him for some time, but he felt it was important to be there when the Lakers made their pitch to him at an undisclosed location in Los Angeles.

Kobe Bryant flew back from Europe because he felt it was important to be there when the Lakers made their pitch to free agent Carmelo Anthony.
The Lakers have made Anthony and fellow superstar free agent LeBron James the main focus of their offseason, going so far as to hold off hiring a coach and signing other free agents until they could make their pitches to the two players.

While they have called Rich Paul, James' agent, and were hoping to meet with him soon, sources maintain James and Paul have yet to grant formal meetings to any teams.

Anthony is far from a consolation prize, however. Sources indicate the Lakers are enamored with his game and believe he would complement Bryant well. The Lakers hope to pair the two wings with center Pau Gasol, with whom they met on the first day of free agency.

ESPN reported Wednesday night that the Oklahoma City Thunder duo of Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook made a strong case to Gasol, with the Thunder emerging as a surprising front-runner despite their financial limitations. The Chicago Bulls are scheduled to meet with Gasol on Thursday in Los Angeles.

However, the Lakers can pay Gasol more than any other team, and his fondness for the city and playing with Bryant should not be discounted. If the team can add to its roster with Anthony, sources said, Gasol would be far more inclined to re-sign with the Lakers.

Selling that vision to Anthony will fall to Bryant, general manager Mitch Kupchak, Lakers president Jeanie Buss, executive vice president of player personnel Jim Buss and several other figures the team has enlisted. Grantland's Zach Lowe reported Monday that the Lakers turned more than $100 million in profits last season --after paying luxury-tax and revenue-sharing fees -- because of their lucrative television and radio contracts.

The Lakers' $158 million profit last season (before luxury taxes and revenue sharing) was more than double that of the franchise with the next-highest profit -- the Bulls ($75.7 million). The Bulls, Mavericks and Rockets all have made pitches to Anthony this week.

The New York Knicks are expected to make the final pitch to him, ESPNNewYork.com has reported.

However, the Lakers can pay Gasol more than any other team

Ugh

Man, if their plan is to bring in Melo and re-sign Pau, it's worse than I thought in our Front Office.

Pau
Randle
Melo
Kobe

Someone explain to me how we get a defensive stop, ever. Who everyone gonna blame for this now? Next head coach? Last head coach? Next head coach, after this next coach?

"Defense is about coaching"

Pau
Randle
Melo
Kobe

Good ******* luck coach. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please let Pau get a job elsewhere, and Melo want to go to Chicago or stay in NY. Please lord. :\

I dont think melo will ever win a championship in his career.

He just seems like that type of player.

While re-signing pau to big numbers and bringing in Melo isn't what we might want...

Who says it can't work?

I dunno Bryant, Gasol, Melo and Randle....might do something.

Can we win a chip next year? Of course not...but how long did it take when shaq came over before we won?

For me its wait and see. Plus hell we don't even know IF melo is coming. Right now I'm putting my money that Melo either stays in NY or goes to Chi. Gasol dips to OKC and we start the rebuild process.

tumblr_m7upujgxum1qaepjeo1_1280.jpg

siempre

While re-signing pau to big numbers and bringing in Melo isn't what we might want...

Who says it can't work?

Can we win a chip next year? Of course not...but how long did it take when shaq came over before we won?

For me its wait and see. Plus hell we don't even know IF melo is coming. Right now I'm putting my money that Melo either stays in NY or goes to Chi. Gasol dips to OKC and we start the rebuild process.

Again, tell me who is getting a stop with Pau, Randle, Melo, Kobe? That is zero shut down defenders, ZERO.

As for needing a couple years after Shaq. K, they were all prime guys.

Kobe and Pau are done within a year or two. By then, Melo will be early to mid 30's already. Only Randle will be headed for his prime.

So we're 2 years from bein out half those 4, the other one in his 13th-14th year in the NBA, and a 22 year old.

And it will only cost us.......48.5, 40+ for Melo, and whatever we spend on Pau, 20 mil???? So that's 100+ mil, for 3 guys, to win no titles.

Why does that make sense? So we can "make the playoffs"? When did that become the goal?

Who says it can't work?

Again, tell me who is getting a stop with Pau, Randle, Melo, Kobe? That is zero shut down defenders, ZERO.

Kobe and Pau are done within a year or two. By then, Melo will be early to mid 30's already. Only Randle will be headed for his prime.

So we're 2 years from bein out half those 4, the other one in his 13th-14th year in the NBA, and a 22 year old.

And it will only cost us.......48.5, 40+ for Melo, and whatever we spend on Pau, 20 mil???? So that's 100+ mil, for 3 guys, to win no titles.

Why does that make sense? So we can "make the playoffs"? When did that become the goal?

hire mda so the lakers avg 130 and give up 120 avg :nerd:

That is funny tho.

Bring in a bunch of talented offensive weaponry with no defensive abilities.

Push out the offensive genius coach you hand picked over Phil Jackson.

Backwards *** franchise man. :lol:

You aren't wrong with anything you said....I agree with what you said.

But we both know this francishe is not about being dormant or not making moves. They are going to to make the moves they feel are best to get us back in title contention.

We may not agree with what they do or attempt to do. But we can't stop them either. Just gotta sit back, watch and hope for the best.

That is funny tho.

Bring in a bunch of talented offensive weaponry with no defensive abilities.

Push out the offensive genius coach you hand picked over Phil Jackson.

Backwards *** franchise man. :lol:

:smh:

I know man, we on the same page, I just don't want them to be that stupid. I want them to have patience, and not shoot themselves in the damn foot over and over.

After Dwight, it was clear, time to reset some stuff. Not throw gas on the fire.

I been on that page since the moment Dwight said "Houston". Reset the franchise. Don't overreact and panic.

They pull Melo and Pau, hire Byron Scott, they overreacted, and panicked. :smh:

Be patient Mitch.

What I don't get is this either/or approach some of you guys take on here. It is possible to rebuild and remain competitive.

What I don't get is this either/or approach some of you guys take on here. It is possible to rebuild and remain competitive.

It is...

That's why I'm sitting back and watching. I want to see what they can do ON THE COURT before I make my judgement.

I think it's nearly impossible in this case because of Kobe's volcanic attitude (and albatross contract), the ultra competitive west, the near empty roster and the protected draft pick going to the Suns.

It is...

That's why I'm sitting back and watching. I want to see what they can do ON THE COURT before I make my judgement.

Totally agree with the competitive and rebuild sentiment.

Getting this top 5 pick is out of the question, absolutely, it is very hard to even fathom a situation where we would not only do worse than last year, but have the luck to jump into the top 5, it is something I won't even give a second thought to.

Bringing on a person like Melo, who receives a horrible amount of critisim for not being able to win a championship, would be great. This guy led his team to NCAA championship as a freshman (Some will devalue this but I find it rather impressive) and kept a Nuggets team in the West constantly competitive. He has gone as far as CP3 has, yet nobody showers CP3 with this isn't a winner talk as much as Melo. Melo was also a beast in the Olympics, yes against weak competition, but it showed he had a heart and wants to win.

Throw him in with Kobe, Randle, resign Pau for a good price, and either use one of the 894548957 pgs we got or pick someone up, and we can have an exciting and somewhat productive season.

Will we win a championship, most likely not, but we will pick up momentum and show people we are moving in the right direction, and that in itself is a sales pitch to future free agents. Also on top of Melo being an overall good player, he comes off as someone who is highly liked by his peers, a sales pitch of Kobe and Melo, you have to listen.

Nash
Kobe
Melo
Randle
Pau

Farmar
SwaggyP (cheap)
Sacre
Kelly
Filler
Filler

That isn't half bad, we just need to know who the coach is. If its Scott then so be it hire him, lets get the coaching going, if its not lets start hearing who the other candidates are.

This bottoming out to be good again is not realistic for the Lakers, even with the Smush Parker, Chris Mihm years, we only missed the playoffs once I believe, even in the Elden Campbell, Sedale Threatt years we only missed once.

If we get Melo, we should be so lucky, it will start a nice momentum movement to being relevant in the league again.

i want to keep Bazemore for next year :lol: :lol: it's still possible if the Lakers don't get who they're after :nerd:

it looks like he's been contacted for the spurs, celtics, jazz and sixers but i'm sure they can offer him a lot more than what the Lakers have in mind :nerd:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom