• 45-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys realize it's impossible to bring back Pau and sign Melo right?

How? Did we renouce his bird rights?

Pau is our guy and we can go over the cap to sign him...unless I'm missing something?
The Lakers unofficially have $22.5M in cap space. Pau has a $20.2M cap hold...Obviously he won't get that much from the Lakers (or anyone else) but until he signs, he's on the books. He's in the market for probably $8-12M. And Melo will want the max or close to it (which is about $22M).

So do the math.

Last edited:
The Lakers unofficially have $22.5M in cap space. Pau has a $20.2M cap hold...Obviously he won't get that much from the Lakers (or anyone else) but until he signs, he's on the books. He's in the market for probably $8-12M. And Melo will want the max or close to it (which is about $22M).

So do the math.

Hmmm...well I'm no expert. But I don't see why they would act like they could do it if it was impossible.

Question. How does Pau have a cap hold if he is a UFA? I thought his contract was off the books unless we resigned him.

Pau won't take a paycut with this BFF Kobe and Melo, and they can sell him they are a championship contender. I think Pau would take the paycut...

The report is If the lakers land Melo, Pau will come back. Just rumors....we will see.

What I don't get is this either/or approach some of you guys take on here. It is possible to rebuild and remain competitive.

It's usually either/or cause the Rockets are the only ones who did this. A stretch of 9th place finishes, 14th-16th draft picks and scrappy tough moral victories is no fun.

That explains those rumors a few weeks back that said the Lakers believe Pau would be the key to landing Melo or something like that.

But I don't see why Pau takes a drastic paycut after watching Kobe get the highest salary in the league the next two years. :lol:

So do the math.

Hmmm...well I'm no expert. But I don't see why they would act like they could do it if it was impossible.

Question. How does Pau have a cap hold if he is a UFA? I thought his contract was off the books unless we resigned him.
Cap holds are put in place so teams don't take advantage of Bird Rights. Like the Heat have $55M in cap space. But a lot of that is tied up to LeBron, Wade and Bosh. Imagine if cap holds didn't exist; the Heat would go sign Lowry, Gortat and Ariza then sign back LeBron, Wade and Bosh. :lol:

Cap holds are put in place so teams don't take advantage of Bird Rights. Like the Heat have $55M in cap space. But a lot of that is tied up to LeBron, Wade and Bosh. Imagine if cap holds didn't exist; the Heat would go sign Lowry, Gortat and Ariza then sign back LeBron, Wade and Bosh. :lol:

I see now....all makes sense. Well its going to be an interesting weekend.

Didn't we find out about D-12 4th of july weekend?

@CP1708:

First, "Who is the defensive stopper?" To me, from the basketball I've been watching lately, the best 2 defensive teams... and it's no coincidence that they've been in the last 2 Finals... are the Spurs and the Heat. I'm sure you or P or Essential are going to throw numbers at me about how they're actually middle-of-the-road defensive teams, and GSW is actually better or OKC or the Sixers or something, but I'm going by what I see when I watch NBA basketball games. I watch the Spurs play and I'm like "DAMN. How in the world do you concoct a game plan to put up 90-100 on them? Jesus!" Same with the Heat.

And I also ask myself the same thing you asked of Pau/Randle/Kobe/Melo: "WHO is their defensive stopper?" Who's the Ben Wallace on the Spurs? Who's the late 80s/early 90s on the Heat? (I DARE someone to take the bait and say Lebron. 
laugh.gif
) WHO are the defensive stoppers on the Spurs/Heat? Duncan? No, he's the last line, and he's 197 years old. The Heat? They actually play similar to the Spurs, but with no cliche "Tim Duncan!" answer available to the question. THEY PLAY... TEAM DEFENSE... PREDICATED ON RESTRICTING THE PASSING LANES... AND GETTING THE REBOUND. Who's 'supposed' to get the rebound? EVERYONE.

Pau/Randle/Melo/Kobe could ABSOLUTELY lead that sort of thing, if the right coach came in and implemented it.

(now throw me some advanced numbers about how the Spurs/Heat are among the worst in the L at defensive rebounds, or how Pau/Melo/Kobe are among the worst in the league at DR)

Second, "Do you have any examples you'd like to share?" Of teams that have both rebuilt AND stayed competitive, is what you were asking. Ummmm... none that you'll mock, but Spurs, Warriors, Sonics/Thunder, Clippers, Mavs, Portland (admit it!)... yes, there are examples of teams that have churned their roster a few times, and still remained competitive. That Warriors team is COMPLETELY different than the fun one we all remember that beat the Mavs, but they've still been COMPETITIVE this entire time. The Clippers have gone through a TON of roster changes the last like 4-5-6 years; been competitive the whole time (yes, we all know they'll return to mediocrity as soon as CP3 is gone, but I'm saying). Portland? Rebuilding from the Oden/Durant mistake, but still competitive. Before you go on your rant, remember the question: REBUILDING, and COMPETITIVE. Plenty of examples.

Green is the quintessential "3 and D" player.

Kawhi is a really good defensive player...I suppose he gets the "defensive stopper" label.

Duncan and Splitter are good rim protectors.

Manu is still pretty good defensively.

Heat, uh just LeBron, Bosh and Birdman.

It just happened that they got roasted because Battier and Ray Allen each lost a step, Wade doesn't give consistent effort, Chalmers is whatever. The Heat got away with it for three rounds (remember, they were a relatiely pedestrian defensive team this past season) because they faced the Bobcats, Nets and Pacers. They face a top five offensive team and got embarrassed.

Last edited:
Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green = perimeter stoppers.

Duncan and Splitter down low.

Parker and Diaw and Manu just do their jobs well enough, and are covered by those previous 4.

LeBron and Bosh and Chalmers are pretty good, Birdman helps when he's healthy. Wade for about 5 minutes a game. :lol:

Pau and Kobe are so old, and can't barely move. Melo, is, Melo. Randle at least has hope, because he has fresh legs and youth. He'd be our best defender, and that's not a good thing. :lol:

The Warriors were competitive while they rebuilt?

Thunder? Man, what? They tanked 3 years straight dude. :lol:

Mavs? When did they rebuild anything? Rebuild does not = overturn the roster, that's not the same thing.

We didn't "rebuild" with Smush and Kwame, etc, that was still based on an elite Kobe. We tinkered and overturned the roster. Reloaded, whatever word you want to use.

And if you want to use all those teams, let's say I give you them as fine examples, we have the Warriors, Thunder, Clippers, Mavs, Blazers, and Spurs (?) That's 2 titles, in about.......how many years for all those teams collectively? 20? 25? 30? I mean, how many total seasons are you counting? 07-now, 2010-now, 05? What eras for each team are you basing off of?

1 each for the Mavs and Spurs, with 2 of the best coaches in the NBA, HOFers in Duncan, Dirk, Manu and Parker, a young stud in Kawhi and I have no idea what was going on with LeBron in the 2011 Finals. (Heat should have won that over Dallas, but something was up with them and Dirk went God mode)

Clippers have had conversations with free agent point guard Jordan Farmar, per source. Farmar has 3-4 teams interested in him.
— Brad Turner (@BA_Turner) July 3, 2014
Source says the talks between Kent Bazemore and the Utah Jazz have moved past the preliminary stage, but the sides are not close to a deal
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) July 3, 2014

First Dante, now Kent :smh:

Last edited:
Y'all don't want him...

Especially with a fully healthy Kobe...

And what he is probably gonna command, he's not worth it

Y'all don't want him...

Especially with a fully healthy Kobe...

And what he is probably gonna command, he's not worth it

Why ?

What's the deal, is he a chuck, knucklehead, turnover prone etc etc....what are the negatives because I've only seen a handful of kings games ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom