2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK how this and or a no cap NBA would work out. Unlike Baseball, if you collect enough individual prime talent on a basketball team, they are going to win and win in a dominating fashion. Teams like the Lakers would ignore all money penalties that come along with making such a move in favor of winning and all the money they would make off doing so

Ok, meanwhile a team like the Spurs pay their players LESS money, and build talent just the same. So what is the difference? Each team is trying to find an advantage to gain an edge.

In this case, the players make less money, when they are generating billions of dollars. Peter Holt just made a GRIP of money, off what the Spur players did.

But you're ok with that, right?

IDK how this and or a no cap NBA would work out. Unlike Baseball, if you collect enough individual prime talent on a basketball team, they are going to win and win in a dominating fashion. Teams like the Lakers would ignore all money penalties that come along with making such a move in favor of winning and all the money they would make off doing so
Well that's basically what the last lockout boiled down to, these other inept franchises whining about the Lakers and how it's unfair that we seem to get everyone. It's called smart management, and Cuban and that clown Gilbert were the first ones up in arms about that CP3 deal like they weren't all opening their legs just a year before trying to acquire Bron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, etc and get their own super squads. It's just hypocritical and petty and the Lakers in particular shouldn't be forced to subsidize the ineptitude of a MIL, SAC, CLE or whoever with the resources they have.

I'd be perfectly fine with a hard cap and system where you get one designated max guy with an unlimited salary and it actually forces these front office guys to do their jobs.
Its a combination of having good management and the money to go along with it though, a combination that the Lakers have, which is few and inbetween. Honestly there is no perfect situation, everything has a drawback and it just has to be accepted I suppose.

Zach Lowe on max money in the NBA: http://grantland.com/features/miami-heat-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-max-contracts-nba/

Some very interesting points. But with that said, there will be a lockout in three years.
Good, players got shafted with this new CBA.
And more than likely, they'll get shafted again.
THIS. Go ahead and have a lockout, billionaires can hold out longer than millionaires, and I forgot which article it was, but its alarming how many of these guys live paycheck to paycheck. Such poor money management.

there will be a lockout in three years

Great, Statis and I on Twitter every night again. :smh:

I can't wait. I'm gonna win the discussion again. :pimp:

:lol: That's why you in here the other night complaining about players havin to take pay cuts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You dreamin boy.

DWS, Statis is pro Stern and the owners, I am pro players and F the owners/Commish.

I'm not complaining at all because I know this isn't the norm. What SA did was about as big of an outlier as one can be. History tell me that's not how it's done.

We're now gonna expect superstars entering their physical prime to take less than they are worth? I'll believe when I see it.

@CP1708

At least Duncan is playing for championships. What are kobe and the lakers doing?
True.
Still no coach.
True.
Jim and Jeanie doing nothing to improve the team.
True.
kobe 48.5 
That's killing us.
worst season in Franchise history this year
*sigh*
7th overall draft pick
*facepalm*
Clippers slowly becoming LA's team with new ownership.
Tr... wait, what?
No.

Not.

Never.

The only people who think that's happening are people outside of LA. All this red/royal blue will be gone. Odom/QRich/Brand had a nice little thing for awhile, and then the Clippers faded back into Bolivian. It'll happen again, soon as CP3 either retires or bolts.
Mitch getting expose.
True.
Kobe lying to the fan base saying his contract is worth it.
Yep.

Ok, meanwhile a team like the Spurs pay their players LESS money, and build talent just the same. So what is the difference? Each team is trying to find an advantage to gain an edge.

In this case, the players make less money, when they are generating billions of dollars. Peter Holt just made a GRIP of money, off what the Spur players did.

But you're ok with that, right?
No of course not, but its the way things will always be. I go to work everyday to make pennies compared to what the CEO is making. Thus are the ways of capitalism. 

I dont want to get into a whos way of taking less money is better, but I think we can all agree that the Spurs big guys taking less money to bring in people like Boris Diaw, is different than LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Kevin Love doing it to end up on the same team.

At the end of the day it's an unfixable problem.

Last edited:

@CP1708

At least Duncan is playing for championships. What are kobe and the lakers doing?
True.
Still no coach.
True.
Jim and Jeanie doing nothing to improve the team.
True.
kobe 48.5 
That's killing us.
worst season in Franchise history this year
*sigh*
7th overall draft pick
*facepalm*
Tr... wait, what?
View media item 668428

View media item 652783

No.

Not.

Never.

The only people who think that's happening are people outside of LA. All this red/royal blue will be gone. Odom/QRich/Brand had a nice little thing for awhile, and then the Clippers faded back into Bolivian. It'll happen again, soon as CP3 either retires or bolts.
Mitch getting expose.
True.
Kobe lying to the fan base saying his contract is worth it.
Yep.
As a Lakers fan, where is the unlimited reps button?

We're now gonna expect superstars entering their physical prime to take less than they are worth? I'll believe when I see it.

Heat players did it.

Spurs players did it.

You're going to start seeing it more and more very soon. Hell, you could argue Dwight, coming off a back injury, took less guaranteed money. (without the taxes part tho)

why is that a good thing? 
nerd.gif

NBA more than any other sport is a player's league, things should always be more in their favor than the owners which is not the case right now.
what do you mean by "player's league"?

what is not in favor of the owners?

Heat players did it.

Spurs players did it.

You're going to start seeing it more and more very soon. Hell, you could argue Dwight, coming off a back injury, took less guaranteed money. (without the taxes part tho)

true...he wouldve gotten a lot more if that injury wasnt nagging like it is

why is that a good thing? 
nerd.gif

NBA more than any other sport is a player's league, things should always be more in their favor than the owners which is not the case right now.
what do you mean by "player's league"?

what is not in favor of the owners?
Exactly! If anything, the NFL is a "player's league". Half the NFL holdouts in the offseason for new contracts they receive two years before, skipping camps, forcing trades from the team that drafts you, franchise tags disagreements.... But the NBA is a "player's league" 
mean.gif

Heat players did it.

Spurs players did it.

In fairness, he might have been gambling on himself, that he could get another contract after 4 years, rather than waiting 5.

I mean, he only has 3 years left already, he'll get a new deal before Joe Johnson does I think. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully LeBron opts in and becomes a free agent in the 15-16 season.
I don't think he will opt in, and I really hope he doesn't

I'd like to see him back in CLeveland trying to get them the trophy.

I don't like him anywhere else but in Cleveland or Miami.

That 20+ mill isn't something that's a big factor for him to stay in Miami either, not after that Beats deal he just made. That joint was crazy

Heat players did it.

Spurs players did it.

Spurs guys were in their primes two years ago?

Dwight took less money? He still got a damn max deal. Just one less year guaranteed which he's probably going to opt out of and get another max deal before the 4 years are up. Heat didn't take much less than the 21 mil they would have made anywhere else (excluding tax) in 2010. It's definitely not a trend, and more of an anomaly.

You got 15+ years of evidence of players taking the most they can get yet pick out two instances that don't even fit the criteria and harp on it like it's some kind of magical formula that's been figured out.

I can almost guarantee that Bron, Melo, Love and whoever else aren't taking 10 mil less a year like Duncan did while their still in their damn primes, not going to happen. And Wade isn't going to do it and he's washed.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
@ DBD.

How you gonna come back on here and do the same nonsense that got you the axe in the first place?

I could see if he showed some contrition but no, same old same old.

And Antidope vouching for him on some abused spouse tip. 
mean.gif
laugh.gif

"It's not his fault officer. I was provoking him; I asked for it."

Heat players did it.

Spurs players did it.

Spurs guys were in their primes two years ago?

Dwight took less money? He still got a damn max deal. Just one less year guaranteed which he's probably going to opt out of and get another max deal before the 4 years are up. Heat didn't take much less than the 21 mil they would have made anywhere else (excluding tax) in 2010. It's definitely not a trend, and more of an anomaly.

You got 15+ years of evidence of players taking the most they can get yet pick out two instances that don't even fit the criteria and harp on it like it's some kind of magical formula that's been figured out.

I can almost guarantee that Bron, Melo, Love and whoever else aren't taking 10 mil less a year like Duncan did while their still in their damn primes, not going to happen. And Wade isn't going to do it and he's washed.

When did the CBA kick in?

And the trend started right as that moment was coming. Planned during the 08 Olympics as the story is told.

Heat players did it.

Spurs players did it.

In fairness, he might have been gambling on himself, that he could get another contract after 4 years, rather than waiting 5.

I mean, he only has 3 years left already, he'll get a new deal before Joe Johnson does I think. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:wow: :rofl:

And the trend started right as that moment was coming. Planned during the 08 Olympics as the story is told.

The CBA kicked in 2011, and a whopping one team had their old guys take less money to try and keep the marginal guys around them, they don't luck up and get Kawhi though, I doubt were even talking about them at all as champs and that had nothing to do with them taking less money.

Heat didn't do it. And again took a pseudo paycut in deciding to play in FL. Dwight didn't take less money per season, neither did Harden, we'll see about Bron, Melo and Love soon enough. But the national TV deals expire in 2016, conveniently for the players a year before they have an opt out clause in 2017. If the projections are accurate, they're going to be some astronomical numbers being thrown around for those new deals and the players should have the stance of getting a lot more dough.

Seriously though, two teams out of 30 when one doesn't even qualify applies as a trend?

Last edited:
Is there a way to make this article required reading before posting a Lebron comment

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/love-and-hate-in-the-lebron-era/
Lol, yea well...it's a forum not church. Posters A vs B is eternal my man, regardless of the topic being discussed. He hit the nail on the head though in the article when he said "rational feeling the need to frame their argument as a response to the irrational"

Debates are in big part what keeps Forums alive, and IMO the cats that complain about hearing the same arguments/debates time and time again, are just as annoying as they claim the posters are that are arguing a VS situation that they have heard countless times because they frequent the thread.

At the end of the day, let posters be posters and discuss what they will, if it is not a negative or in a harmful way.

I'm sure NT doesn't appreciate the regs wanting to bann all the users who aren't on their level or are inferior in one way or another, as A FORUM im sure the owners of NT appreciate any member they have that aren't completely negative, regardless of how some user/member who's lurked since day 1 or has 18 ribbons and 20k reps feels about it.

At the end of the day, let posters be posters and discuss what they will, if it is not a negative or in a harmful way.

I'm sure NT doesn't appreciate the regs wanting to bann all the users who aren't on their level or are inferior in one way or another, as A FORUM im sure the owners of NT appreciate any member they have that aren't completely negative, regardless of how some user/member who's lurked since day 1 or has 18 ribbons and 20k reps feels about it.
and call them trolls 
laugh.gif

Coolest thing about being a fan is that it's ageless. Father Time can go **** himself. Our favorite players come and go, but no matter how old we get, we can remain fans of the game. I love it. Ohhh I can't wait until October 30th. I wish we had the Summer Olympics this year. I am NOT watching WNBA so don't try and make me.

The CBA kicked in 2011, and a whopping one team had their old guys take less money to try and keep the marginal guys around them, they don't luck up and get Kawhi though, I doubt were even talking about them at all as champs and that had nothing to do with them taking less money.

Heat didn't do it. And again took a pseudo paycut in deciding to play in FL. Dwight didn't take less money per season, neither did Harden, we'll see about Bron, Melo and Love soon enough. But the national TV deals expire in 2016, conveniently for the players a year before they have an opt out clause in 2017. If the projections are accurate, they're going to be some astronomical numbers being thrown around for those new deals and the players should have the stance of getting a lot more dough.

Seriously though, two teams out of 30 when one doesn't even qualify applies as a trend?

One doesn't qualify, per you tho. Don't mean **** to me, or the rest of the planet.

Copycat league, and if my dumb *** can spot this stuff happening, so can the rest of the league.

And wait, aren't you the one spouting off that Kobe took 9 million less than he could have? :nerd:

And if Bron and Melo take less money this summer, you are officially out of arguments. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom